[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

bill

techmaster-glitch

Cyborgs for. The. WIN!

You have a marvelous mechanical masterpiece here. But I'm a little baised, I'm a sucker for anything metal or circuits :3

xHaZxMaTx

His right arm looks a bit messed up (the shoulder looks too low), but other than that, it looks fine.  Then again, I don't know what the character you referenced looks like, so... :animesweat  The attention to detail in the mechanical arm is pretty nifty, though. :3

Tapewolf

It's not without flaws, but I'm a bit of a sucker for cybernetics so I guess it evens out :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Netrogo

Whooo!!!! Awesome awesome awesome!!! That looks freaking great Keats! I don't see any inacuracies myself. I love how you did the arm and the eye, I was worried you'd have trouble with them but they look amazing! The only thing on it I could make any kind of criticism of is that the muzzle (is it a muzzle on mice too?) is squarish instead of round, but I know the squared off muzz is your style so it's not really something to crit.

Again LOVE IT!!!

Oh and yeah Zedd, my SL av is a cubi.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Brunhidden

I dig the clothes, they really look creative. the fastener on the shirt looks a bit strange however
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sunblink

Quote from: Netrogo on September 06, 2007, 12:40:16 PM
Whooo!!!! Awesome awesome awesome!!! That looks freaking great Keats! I don't see any inacuracies myself. I love how you did the arm and the eye, I was worried you'd have trouble with them but they look amazing! The only thing on it I could make any kind of criticism of is that the muzzle (is it a muzzle on mice too?) is squarish instead of round, but I know the squared off muzz is your style so it's not really something to crit.

Again LOVE IT!!!

Oh and yeah Zedd, my SL av is a cubi.

Oh my GOD thank god you like the picture. XD I was so worried you wouldn't like it! *breathes a sigh of relief* Still, wow. Thank you for the praise! =D Once again, I'm so glad you like the picture. ^^

And to everyone else, thanks for the awesome comments. :) This picture was more better-received than I thought it would be. XD You all absolutely rock.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's a horrible picture! The lines aren't clean and sharp, the material is all wrong, the colours are too dark, the whites are too light, and furthermore, I don't like the way you hold your tongue when you're working!

... and before anyone takes that the wrong way, I'm joking. "You all absolutely rock" just triggered a response... ;-]

Slightly more seriously, the picture is well done - the wings, for example, are brilliantly detailed. I'd be interested in seeing how it worked out in colour, although the line work is more designed for B+W, I'll grant...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 06, 2007, 04:13:50 PM
It's a horrible picture! The lines aren't clean and sharp, the material is all wrong, the colours are too dark, the whites are too light, and furthermore, I don't like the way you hold your tongue when you're working!

... and before anyone takes that the wrong way, I'm joking. "You all absolutely rock" just triggered a response... ;-]

Slightly more seriously, the picture is well done - the wings, for example, are brilliantly detailed. I'd be interested in seeing how it worked out in colour, although the line work is more designed for B+W, I'll grant...

oh noes my delicate ego.  :cry I'm going to go set every cardboard box in my garage on fire as RETALIATION. I hope one of them is your sister or your long-lost cousin, you evil box, you!

no, really. XD In all honesty thank you for the actual response. I just had to respond in a tongue-in-cheek manner to your also tongue-in-cheek post. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

techmaster-glitch

*gasp!* But that would defeat the purpose of becoming an awsome cyborg!

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 07, 2007, 09:44:43 AM
*gasp!* But that would defeat the purpose of becoming an awsome cyborg!
Unless there's some magical agent to prevent it regrowing.  Or he cuts his arm off every few years...

Aridas

Tapewolf

Netrogo

Actually the story behind him having the cybernetic stuff is not what people would think. Y'know how people get addicted to plastic surgery and stuff? Think that only more metal then plastic. True he could probably remove them and regrow said limbs now that he's not addicted to getting everything he can replaced, but he's just gotten used to them. Plus he, like most, thinks he looks completely bad ass with them.

Oh and something not shown in the pic, his right leg from the knee down is also mechanical.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Netrogo on September 07, 2007, 12:21:36 PM
Actually the story behind him having the cybernetic stuff is not what people would think. Y'know how people get addicted to plastic surgery and stuff?

Ah.

QuoteOh and something not shown in the pic, his right leg from the knee down is also mechanical.

I don't think many people have looked at the idea of augmented 'Cubi.  Dorcan is my contribution to this field, the catch being that he's completely robotic because he died.  It was quite interesting to think that one through, because of all the powers that he's lost.
For yours (what's his name?) shapeshifting is going to be a problem, but everything else should be pretty much okay.

Netrogo

Zedd

Kinda reminds me...Nergo..Your cubi almost reminds me of a protoform of mine yet mine was more like cybernetic arm and leg

Tapewolf

Quote from: Netrogo on September 07, 2007, 12:29:07 PM
He spawned from my SL avatar.
Do you mind putting up a picture of that for reference?  I'd be interested to see him.
And, if you've thought him out far enough to have a story yet, I'd be curious to know if he's supposed to be concurrent with DMFA or sometime in the future.

Netrogo

Tapewolf

Quote from: Netrogo on September 07, 2007, 01:14:09 PM
Sure, I just hope Keats doesn't mind me apparently taking over her thread >.<
Cool.  Obviously it's up to her really, but putting up the original references to compare against her rendition seems on-topic to me.

Sunblink

Actually, I don't mind at all. :3 I don't think you guys are taking over the thread, to be honest, I just think you are having a discussion. I'll only get worried if I feel like a fight is about to break out, and it doesn't look like that's about to happen anytime soon.

So there's nothing to worry about, guys. ^^ By the way, I've gotten Bill's request mostly finished, expect it to be up sometime later tonight or tomorrow.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Netrogo

Oh we wouldn't dream of starting a fight in your thread Keats.

*Sneaks around when nobody's looking and punches Tape in the back of the head*

Sunblink

Aha, I finally got the last request done! Huzzah and whatnot! Joy to the world and three cheers!

I just hope that Bill likes it, and that it's accurate to the character description he provided. :) Problem is I'm not very good at capturing characters when I have no pictures to go off of--I get sort of paranoid that my initial envisioning of the character will be inaccurate.

I adamantly disagree with the popular complaint among anthro-oriented artists that humans are difficult or boring to draw. On the contrary, I enjoy drawing humans. I still need to grasp them somewhat, but I don't want to neglect drawing humans because they're slightly more difficult than drawing anthros.

Besides, humans are a bit more of a challenge to make their designs look more original and individual, since they don't have fur colors/unrealistic eye colors (unless they are aliens/using contacts/of another humanoid race/are magically cursed/pigmentation problem/a Mary-Sue) to really distinguish them. I'm still working on making facial features more individual, since I realized that my facial features are generally the same shape. I need to practice more.

Oh, and by a landslide, Piix has won the poll! Expect the introductory picture to her 100 Themes series up shortly! :) Thanks for your votes, everyone!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

Looks fine to me (ear looks a bit big, but eh). :3  Though I have one question:  Who is it?

bill

Tapewolf

To be honest I have doubts about the eyes and the nose.  The eyes seem too large, the nose is too long.  Apart from that, it's great.

bill

Personally, that's pretty much what I had in mind. Which is grate.

Thx*10^43

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 08, 2007, 01:54:23 PM
Besides, humans are a bit more of a challenge to make their designs look more original and individual, since they don't have fur colors/unrealistic eye colors (unless they are aliens/using contacts/of another humanoid race/are magically cursed/pigmentation problem/a Mary-Sue) to really distinguish them. I'm still working on making facial features more individual, since I realized that my facial features are generally the same shape. I need to practice more.
~Keaton the Black Jackal

Yeah, I'm not stranger to that. I'm by no means a DBZ fan, I have barely seen any episodes. So to me, since I'm not a fan and don't really know the characters anyway, when everyone goes Super Saiyen, they look exactly alike :B

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2007, 02:00:59 PM
To be honest I have doubts about the eyes and the nose.  The eyes seem too large, the nose is too long.  Apart from that, it's great.

Ah, I really appreciate this critique, especially since I'm a bit of a newcomer when it comes to drawing humans. The Tira picture came out alright, but this one seems to have some facial issues. If I end up coloring this one I might adjust this during the inking.

Normally I would attribute large eyes to my style of drawing, but I tend to get a little twitchy when artists are given perfectly valid critiques and they go, "It's my style, get over it," which I have encountered before. In the future, I'll try and see if I can make the eyes proportionately and more realistically smaller--as well as the bridge of the nose. ESPECIALLY the nose. Now that you mention it, it definitely is too long. Eep!

To Bill, you're welcome. :) If you want any adjustments made or aren't satisfied with the image, I can work on it again. To everyone else, thanks for the comments! =D

~Keaton the Black Jackal