[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Sunblink

It's about f%^king time I got these finished. That's all I'm gonna say. :3 Yes, this is the Super Special Awesome Project I was talking about. Nothing of an enormous magnitude. Nothing mind-blowing. Just a gift to some of my friends. I promised I'd get this done a few months ago, and voila, I did.

In alphabetical order!:

Aisha's is probably one of my favorites in the batch, because of the pose and the boomerang. I just had a lot of fun with it.

I'm not too happy with Cog's, but he liked it, so... I give myself a pat on the back anyway. XD I'm rather happy with his pose, expression, and clothing, however, and the little necklace 'round his neck. BUT THE SWORD MUST DIE. IT JUST HAS TO DIE.

The first one I did, and the easiest one to complete. He's just chillin' in this picture. I hope he likes it.

Oh yeah. I am REALLY happy with Mel's. Hers is probably the most extravagant, too, what with the wings and everything.

And heeeere's Stygian. This one was a BITCH to complete. I couldn't get the musculature and facial features right, but HA! I laugh in your general direction, artistic limitations!

Now to finish those requests...

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Aisha deCabre

So this was the project!  So...much...awesome...  :U

And that includes all the pics, not just mine.  :3  Great work!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

xHaZxMaTx

Indeed, hard to believe you could fit so much awesome in one thread! :O

Cogidubnus

I declare Keats goddess of all that is win and awesome. A most lovely surprise. Thank you!

Stygian

:dface

Nice sketches, Keats! Many thanks! It seems you got us all down pretty damn well... though I wonder where my belt and shirt have gone. >3

bill

llearch n'n'daCorna

Recognisable as themselves, and yet uniquely -your- view of them.

I take my hat off to you, KBJ. Most excellent - even with the flaws you mentioned.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

GabrielsThoughts

I think the style is perfect for lizard  creatures, and I think the frame work is excellent, but I still think that the characters are too skinny, but since I'm not the one drawing it I can't really complain.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Angel

Y'know, I never usually look at the art topics, but I looked at this most recent work, and I'm glad I did. Nicely done, Keaton! I especially like Cog's pic. You drew him cooler than I pictured him.  :)
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Black_angel on July 23, 2007, 11:19:08 PM
Y'know, I never usually look at the art topics, but I looked at this most recent work, and I'm glad I did. Nicely done, Keaton! I especially like Cog's pic. You drew him cooler than I pictured him.  :)

:<

Zedd

Tapewolf

Yeah, I think Aisha is probably best, on account of the pose, I guess.  The others are good too.  I find it interesting that you drew the spots... while the spots on melanistic cats will show from the right angle, I wouldn't have bothered if it was me doing it :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Omigod I have a lot to respond to. o_o You all... rock... my... WORLD.  :boogie I feel so appreciated. And that's a big deal. For me. [/Finding Nemo reference]

*cracks knuckles and typity-types*

Quote from: Stygian...though I wonder where my belt and shirt have gone. >:3

The fangirls stole them. IT'S THE ONLY EXPLANATION. ...actually, in reality, I wanted to practice the muscles, so I drew you without a shirt. XD As for the belt, I dunno. The belt fairies took it.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughtsI think the style is perfect for lizard  creatures, and I think the frame work is excellent, but I still think that the characters are too skinny, but since I'm not the one drawing it I can't really complain.

Hm. This gives me a bit to think about. I've been trying to make the drawings less skinny, but it's been sort of hard to do since I'm used to drawing characters with wiry physiques. It's just been part of my style for a while, but as far as realism goes I'm probably going to need to make them less... yeah, string-beany. I really appreciate the critique. I'll try to make the characters a little less skinny in the next picture. ^^

Quote from: Black_angelY'know, I never usually look at the art topics, but I looked at this most recent work, and I'm glad I did. Nicely done, Keaton! I especially like Cog's pic. You drew him cooler than I pictured him. :)

*tips her hat* Hehehe. You guys know how to flatter a girl. I was worried that I wouldn't get Cog's character down, admittedly. XD As for Cog... AHAHA! *points and laughs at him* :mwaha

Quote from: TapewolfYeah, I think Aisha is probably best, on account of the pose, I guess.  The others are good too.  I find it interesting that you drew the spots... while the spots on melanistic cats will show from the right angle, I wouldn't have bothered if it was me doing it :P

The spots were in the reference picture which I saw, so I decided to add them just in case. :P I'm still not sure if they're entirely accurate, but so far I haven't heard any complaints.

To all of you... thanks, you guys.  :hug You've all made me a very happy jackal. But in all seriousness, thank you guys for the awesome awesome comments. Pardon me for acting a little blabber-mouthed, but this was just such a great thing to wake up to in the morning. You all rock so, so much. I have quite a bit to respond to. To those I didn't directly respond to--I'd just like to say that you all are fucking awesome.

Hopefully I'll have the requests up next time!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Incidentally, I find your skinnyness reminiscent of one of the webcomics I read.

Now, which one was it? ..... Ah, yes. The Awakened. So don't feel you're alone with that.

Besides, the style works, and is consistent. What more is needed?

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 24, 2007, 01:05:39 PM
Incidentally, I find your skinnyness reminiscent of one of the webcomics I read.

Now, which one was it? ..... Ah, yes. The Awakened. So don't feel you're alone with that.

Besides, the style works, and is consistent. What more is needed?

Oh jeez, I LOVE the Awakened! I absolutely love that comic... I was actually sort of thinking about any similarities in style earlier.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Angel

Quote from: Cogidubnus on July 23, 2007, 11:54:05 PM
Quote from: Black_angel on July 23, 2007, 11:19:08 PM

:<

Aww, sorry. Didn't mean to offend...   :hug
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Tapewolf

Now I'm able to study these at my leisure rather than covertly at work, something has occurred to me whereby Aisha could be improved - her muzzle.  You seem to have used the same basic muzzle shape for all of them except Styg and Mel.  It's a good shape, but it's too canine.
The problem with using it on Aisha is that she's a jaguar - ideally the muzzle should be short and fat rather than long and pointed.
I feel like a cad for pointing this out, but on the other hand it's for the greater good of Keaton's artwork.  Or so I keep telling myself...

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 24, 2007, 02:58:51 PM
Now I'm able to study these at my leisure rather than covertly at work, something has occurred to me whereby Aisha could be improved - her muzzle.  You seem to have used the same basic muzzle shape for all of them except Styg and Mel.  It's a good shape, but it's too canine.
The problem with using it on Aisha is that she's a jaguar - ideally the muzzle should be short and fat rather than long and pointed.
I feel like a cad for pointing this out, but on the other hand it's for the greater good of Keaton's artwork.  Or so I keep telling myself...

Actually, I agree with you there. The muzzle was something I wasn't very happy about in the picture, and something I'll definitely improve on in the next picture I do of a more feline figure. Next time I'll look more at pictures of real life cats. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

KarlOmega1

Awesome art, Keaton! If Gareeku were looking at this topic, I'd bet he'd love the pic you did of him.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Sunblink

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on July 25, 2007, 02:56:45 PM
Awesome art, Keaton! If Gareeku were looking at this topic, I'd bet he'd love the pic you did of him.

Heh, thanks, Karl. I really hope Gareeku'll like his picture. ^^

But anyhoo, here's another update, this time of something a bit... different.

First off, I've been meaning to do full-body reference of Keaton for a while, but her clothing is pretty concealing (by her standards, that is) so it's hard to make out some of her markings, and her scars and clan marking aren't visible. The outfit is totally half-assed, I'm sorry. :< But I'm VERY happy with the jeans, I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for them. Note that her wings are hidden for once--this was intended to be part of an ID for my DA account (because I decided to be a conformist and do the fighting game profile some of my favorite artists are doing, since they are, frankly, AWESOME), but it became larger than originally anticipated.

As for the fact it's pixel art... it was indeed done in MS Paint, something I'm pretty proud of, because hey, it turned out pretty well! I used to do almost all of my art in MS Paint when I was much younger, since my scanner didn't work then (it was too complicated for my itty bitty mind to comprehend) without assistance. My hands aren't as steady as they were then, and my mouse is sort of crappy, so I had to use the curve tool a lot. A WHOLE lot. My mouse was malfunctioning a lot during it, too, so it took me longer than I would've liked.

But I'm done. WOO.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Gareeku

*gives Keaton the internet* I believe this is yours for the winning. :3

And fighting game profile, you say? o.o

llearch n'n'daCorna

That, on MS Paint?

FTW. Seriously.

As you say, the outfit has some issues, and the muzzle isn't clearly defined, but given the medium and the tools, truly outstanding effort.

Sunblink

Quote from: Gareeku on July 26, 2007, 11:21:32 AM
*gives Keaton the internet* I believe this is yours for the winning. :3

And fighting game profile, you say? o.o

Woo! I am finally the owner of the Internet! Now I can do what I've always wanted to do...

*bans Fred Phelps and the jerks who spoiled the ending for Deathly Hallows to me from the Internet* Mwahahahaha. >:3

And oh yeah, a fighting game profile. They're full of win and candy--here are a few examples.

And to Llearch: Thank you very much! :3 I should probably do more work on MS Paint. It's easier than Oekaki or whatever they call them for me. As for the muzzle, it's probably because of the colored lineart. I have to work on that. And the outfit... I dun like the outfit, but I want Keaton's jeans and armwarmer.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Gareeku

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 26, 2007, 11:34:11 AM
And oh yeah, a fighting game profile. They're full of win and candy--here are a few examples.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Holy heck, that is one HUMUNGOUS Fighting Game Character Selection...Dare I ask if this is suposed to be an actuall game and, if so, are their any parts of it done already?

Sunblink

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 26, 2007, 11:57:34 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 26, 2007, 11:34:11 AM

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Holy heck, that is one HUMUNGOUS Fighting Game Character Selection...Dare I ask if this is suposed to be an actuall game and, if so, are their any parts of it done already?

Oh no, it's not a real game. XD It's just something a bunch of artists did for fun, and I decided to hop on the bandwagon.

If it WERE a game, though, it would be totally freakin' insane.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

Tapewolf

I thought that was a nice piece of work just generally.  I missed the fact that it was done in Paint.  That makes it remarkable, although part of me is screaming 'WHY?'...  >:3

xHaZxMaTx

This is so awesome, it deserves its own wallpaper. :3

Sunblink

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 26, 2007, 02:22:05 PM
This is so awesome, it deserves its own wallpaper. :3

That looks SO AWESOME. XD I pondered making the picture into a wallpaper once, but I didn't think anyone would want it. o_o You did the wallpaper more justice than I would've. XD

~Keaton the Black Jackal