[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gareeku on June 04, 2007, 08:38:06 AM
Awesome art once again, Keaton. I love the facial expression.

Me too. :-) It was the first thing that attracted my attention, although I think I mentioned that...

Quote from: Gareeku on June 04, 2007, 08:38:06 AM
Maybe it's just me, but all this nitpicking gives a strong impression that you're not grateful, Tapewolf, for the fact that she drew you a pic in the first place.

Mmmm. I'd have to say I disagree, there, Gareeku. (Not that I'm suggesting you -have- to agree with me, mind :-] ) As I read it, he's stated he likes it, and then offered suggestions from there. Keaton has been happy to take those suggestions and run with them, but, to my mind at least, there's no pressure there, and both of them would be happy to have Keaton decline to make any further changes.

At least, that's how it seems to me. Perhaps -I'm- just the odd one out, though...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gareeku

True, but I just found it rather stupid, to be blunt, that there was change requests such as closing the eye so slightly that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, or changing the eye size when it looked just great the way it was is a bit too much. It seems extreme, in my opinion. If it was a commission then fair enough, but it wasn't. It was a request. You shouldn't be nitpicking to this extent if you are getting something for FREE.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on June 04, 2007, 09:04:05 AM
True, but I just found it rather stupid, to be blunt, that there was change requests such as closing the eye so slightly that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, or changing the eye size when it looked just great the way it was is a bit too much. It seems extreme, in my opinion. If it was a commission then fair enough, but it wasn't. It was a request. You shouldn't be nitpicking to this extent if you are getting something for FREE.

With respect Gareeku, you've only seen the public side of this and not what's been discussed privately.
Llearch's observation about the requests being suggestions which she is free to turn down is right on the money, by the way.
I might also point out that the art thread is to garner ways to improve the art, not for the purpose of heaping blind praise.  This I have done.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gareeku

That is very true. Indeed I have not seen what has been discussed privately. I am just saying what I have seen. Indeed, Llearch is right that she free to turn down the suggestions. I acknowledge that, and yes I know that the art thread is for improving one's art and not for heaping blind praise. I'm not stupid. I just don't see how suggesting changes that, in my opinion, don't make any difference to the quality of the art whatsoever. The length of the jacket does not do this. Suggesting that the eye is resized and adjusted to the point where it doesn't make a difference does not do this.

So with respect Tape, I am a big supporter for the improvement of art but I simply cannot see how these suggestions help at all. Then again, I am not artist, so what do I know. I am merely making observations from where I stand.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Might I suggest we ask Keaton if the suggestions have helped? Rather than going on and filling up her thread with unrelated posts? :-]

Sunblink

Here I come to save the day! *falls into the topic*

Phew.

Okay.. first off, to Gareeku. In all honesty I can't thank you enough for stepping up to stand up for me. I appreciate it to no end. However, to Tapewolf... I also appreciate Tapewolf's critique on the pictures, because it does help me improve, and also helps me mature in how I recieve criticism. Not to mention I was more than willing to redo the picture and adjust it so that way it would completely fit his specifications.

I hope that this post didn't come across as patronizing or offensive to anybody. *pokes at temple* Just hoping to stop this before it becomes a flame war, even though it's been civil so far. I just get uneasy when such discussions appear.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Gareeku

It's not going to turn into a flame war. As I have said a few times already, I was merely making an observation from where I stood. That's fair enough that it helps you, even if I can't personally see why, but as I have said before, I am no artist.

Sunblink

Quote from: Gareeku on June 04, 2007, 11:14:29 AM
It's not going to turn into a flame war. As I have said a few times already, I was merely making an observation from where I stood. That's fair enough that it helps you, even if I can't personally see why, but as I have said before, I am no artist.

Understood. Still, once more, thank you for defending me. I really do appreciate it.  :hug

~Keaton the Black Jackal
PS: The inking is finished, Tapewolf. That makes this my second-fastest inking accomplishment, the first one being the image of Xianxi.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hey, I appreciated the defence as well, even if I disagreed with it :-]

Always nice to see people watching out for each other. (and given the way I've been surrounded by morons here at work, it makes a pleasant change to my day... Mondays. Never liked Mondays.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on June 04, 2007, 09:39:20 AM
I acknowledge that, and yes I know that the art thread is for improving one's art and not for heaping blind praise. I'm not stupid. I just don't see how suggesting changes that, in my opinion, don't make any difference to the quality of the art whatsoever.
I'm not saying that you're stupid, but on the other hand I must point out that I resent being called stupid also - very seriously.  I'd be happy to explain why but this is neither the time nor the place for that, and frankly this discussion has cast enough of a pall on the thread as it is.  Let's just keep in mind what the wise man said - do as you would be done by.   :3

QuoteThe length of the jacket does not do this. Suggesting that the eye is resized and adjusted to the point where it doesn't make a difference does not do this.
I will agree that the length of the jacket and the hair is a matter of personal preference, although to be fair I was still kind of giddy at how well it had turned out at the time :P

The eyes I beg to differ about.  Making them hooded noticeably increases the sinister aspect, to me certainly.  Keaton seems to have seen that too since the third version is pretty much perfect in terms of shape.  It might be that seeing them side-by-side helps, of course because the change is subtle.  On the other hand, subtlety can be everything.

The fuzziness in the third rendition was certainly illuminating to me, although given that she designed it it's likely that Keaton already has a better understanding than me about how eyes can be drawn convincingly.

As for my comments about the actual size of the eye, see the thread's discussion of Keaton's drawing of Darius in early February... it should make a bit more sense then.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 04, 2007, 11:51:07 AM
PS: The inking is finished, Tapewolf. That makes this my second-fastest inking accomplishment, the first one being the image of Xianxi.

Cool.  Are you going to post it?  It's always fun to watch these things evolve.

Gareeku

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 04, 2007, 01:38:44 PMI must point out that I resent being called stupid also - very seriously.

Um. I wasn't calling you stupid. I was describing your actions as stupid. There is a difference. But whatever, I'm not going to keep this up. This is Keaton's art thread and it doesn't need to be filled with our discussion. I look forward to see more of your art Keaton.

Nikki

*is back and walks in first thing*

Ho' (BEEEEEP)

0____0

FREAKING AWESOME!!! *grabs her pic and hisses* mine! no touch!!!

I'm in love with it!

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Sunblink

Heh, glad you liked the picture, Xze. I was worried you didn't see it.  :hug

Anywaaaaaaaay, here is the final version of Johan Cross.

I am INFINITELY proud of this image--it turned out a lot better than I originally imagined it would, not to mention the wings were much easier to shade this time around. Took a shorter amount of time to do it.

Cheers, folks.

~Keaton the Black Jackal
PS: If there are any mistakes I probably won't be able to fix them, as the image is already shaded, inked, and colored. ...though not in that order. So... I'm pretty sure one could live with any mistakes they find.

llearch n'n'daCorna

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Gareeku

Tapewolf

Oh wow.  That has turned out fabulously.  I'm impressed with the speed as well, I was expecting the colouring phase to take considerably longer.  You know, I've been idly wondering what to use as a background for my new machine, and I think this has provided me with the answer :P
In any case it will be interesting to see how it prints out.

There are a couple of minor tweaks I can envision but I won't trouble you for those.  Thanks again for accepting the request.

Paladin Sheppard

*after seeing Tape's request is very much tempted to request somes arts...*  :3

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 05, 2007, 12:37:12 PM
Oh wow.  That has turned out fabulously.  I'm impressed with the speed as well, I was expecting the colouring phase to take considerably longer.  You know, I've been idly wondering what to use as a background for my new machine, and I think this has provided me with the answer :P
In any case it will be interesting to see how it prints out.

There are a couple of minor tweaks I can envision but I won't trouble you for those.  Thanks again for accepting the request.

I'm definitely overjoyed that you liked this, and that you're planning on using the picture in some way. :boogie *gives herself a pat on the back*

And you're quite welcome. Sorry the request took so long.

As for Paladin Sheppard, I'd be glad to take your request, just expect a long wait (especially since I have something to take care of first) and be sure to specify if you'd like for it to be colored.

To everyone else, I'm happy you all like the picture. I should submit colored works more often... that is, if they didn't take so damn long. XD

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

*ponders stealing the pic to use as a background, then remembers that he doesn't -use- backgrounds. At all.*

Bugger.

Sunblink

Itty bitty update before I skip off to visit a friend. Had a rough day yesterday, but I'm in high spirits today.

For those who are curious as to what Keaton looks like, here's a headshot of her I drew a looooong time ago. I forgot the scar around her eye, however, but... ah well. I'm going to draw her again soon so it's no big deal.

Ain't she a doll? I might color this baby--no shading or stuff like that, just a quick ink job and then slap some color on it to show off Keaton's color scheme. I also drew a profile torso to show off Keaton's back and side markings, but it has boobies so I'm not sure whether to post it.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Zedd

You should sees more arts of the red cubi and that headshot is looking mighty fine

Paladin Sheppard

Tapewolf

Yeah, nice.  And definitely a much clearer view of what she looks like than the last one I saw, which was the little floating chibi version in the Tristan picture.

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Sunblink

Wow. The headshot was more well-recieved than I thought it would be o_o

CLICK HERE

Here's the same picture, albeit with a quick inking job and an even quicker color work on it. Look everybody, it's Keaton's color scheme!

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 07, 2007, 11:03:45 AM
Awww. Poor Keaton looks depressed.

Yeah, well, she hasn't exactly had a great life  >:3

I've got to admit I kind of preferred the old image for the avatar, since it was happy.  This one is better-drawn, though.

Zedd