1-6-07: Cold...dark

Started by willow186129, January 05, 2007, 08:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willow186129

Augh! No...he's dead!  'A'

And where is Glory and co? Did they get to the tower, or did the creature(s?) just stop attacking when Devin went down?

Dakata

:< Nooooooo! He never got to tell Xander that he loved him! Noooooooooo!

...*Hugs Abel*

Manawolf

Like that kid in Jack who survived the school shooting.  I won't say anything else to spoil it for anyone, because that was gripping, like this is.

Aridas

Geez abel, could you have hesitated any longer? I honestly think Abel had at least some sort of ability to save his life... as far as I could tell by what he was saying...

Valynth

Ahh, the guilt of the survivor, sometimes it can last for a lifetime.  Thank goodness Abel has a few to spare.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Drake Manaweilder

Frig... Abel was just going to help too.

well, either the creature has turned it's attention elsewhere or it's being/has been dealt with.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Manawolf on January 05, 2007, 08:26:31 PM
Like that kid in Jack who survived the school shooting.  I won't say anything else to spoil it for anyone, because that was gripping, like this is.

If that's in any way related to the 'Brian' sequence, it's the only Hopkins I've ever read and while it was incredibly gripping, it was also incredibly disturbing and thus the reason I'd run a mile before reading Jack >:3

Anyhow, about the strip... since Devin's voice fades out it's almost certainly telepathy from the dying Devin and not communication with his actual soul.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Manawolf

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2007, 08:38:50 PM
Quote from: Manawolf on January 05, 2007, 08:26:31 PM

If that's in any way related to the 'Brian' sequence, it's the only Hopkins I've ever read and while it was incredibly gripping, it was also incredibly disturbing and thus the reason I'd run a mile before reading Jack >:3

Anyhow, about the strip... since Devin's voice fades out it's almost certainly telepathy from the dying Devin and not communication with his actual soul.

Yeah, if that turned you off, your mind would break upon the sight of "Musical Holes."

Zedd

Fudge..Thats a *clunkfritzbeeeep* not fair now...Oh well...Let the old fraze says...This too will pass...

(edit: Hey, this board is PG. Mind the language, please? Danke.. - llearch)

Faerie Alex

So he's really dead now... :[

Does this mean he dies in #63, not #61?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Sunblink

Oh no.

Oh no oh no oh no.

There goes my favorite character... =/ And going out thinking not only that his mom was right him, and worrying about leaving Abel behind, but regretting that he never told Xander he loved him...

Great, Amber, just great. You nearly brought me to tears. When was the last time a comic has done this? ..then again, I can't really remember but that's beside the point.  WHY CAN'T THERE BE A HAPPY ENDING, I ASK YOU? D:

Regardless, what a strip. Best one in the comic so far... Amber, you're one hell of a storyteller. ._.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Stygian

I... I... *Stygian looks very lost all of a sudden*

I... the blue boy caused the blues... something... a-dirr... *his face contorts*

Gah! No! I can't! I can't make fun of this! I can't even look down on it...!

Bloody Hell...

Kaerou

I dont know what to say... thats awful ;_;

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Faerie Alex

Hmm...What we need is a 'cubi flyover in the missing man formation. (Or maybe phoenixes, or something like that.) :B

Man, I've always wanted to say that.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

RushFox

So passes the lovable Devin...

May he live on in Abel's personality. Well to some extent anyway...

Abel's prolly going to get blamed for that too. ARRGH!  :<

P.S. - Jeez, it looked like Abel was on something in that first panel...  :erk

Tapewolf

Sad though Devin's loss is, you could see it coming.  A deus ex machina would have been quite surprising.
The question no-one seems to be asking is this.. why have the Creatures stopped attacking?

(And yes, we'll have to update his death strip in the wikl - AND the speculation that he may survive)

**EDIT**
Quote from: RushFox on January 05, 2007, 09:10:40 PM
P.S. - Jeez, it looked like Abel was on something in that first panel...  :erk

You'd look like you were on something too if you'd just:
*Watched your best friend get buried
*Been attacked by your childhood enemy
*Seen the results of a Creature attack
*Discovered that your childhood enemy isn't so bad only to see him and his best friend/love die before your very eyes in combat
*Had a pair of wings pop out of your head
..and then started to hear voices in your mind

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MaskedRetriever

Nooooooooooooo!!  Devin and Xander were too pretty to die!

Abel's brain's melting nicely, though.  Hopefully this is as bad as he gets stepped on for a while.

:mowsad

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2007, 09:12:28 PMThe question no-one seems to be asking is this.. why have the Creatures stopped attacking?

Because they don't have a clear shot to Abel, and aren't even sure if he's alive?  I doubt that the creatures have unlimited mana.

Quote from: John DonneNo man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Manor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

Poor Abel.  Poor Devin.  Poor Xander.

(I always liked Donne.  Alas, Death be not Proud was a little too long)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aridas

If you people are falling apart over the death of a character who barely established himself in comparison to many others... Do NOT read through to the end of "It's Walky!". You will HATE. I'm not going to say anything more than that.

Akisohida

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 05, 2007, 08:30:14 PM
Geez abel, could you have hesitated any longer? I honestly think Abel had at least some sort of ability to save his life... as far as I could tell by what he was saying...

Yeah but he just watched people die AND was hearing throughts AND there was the possibility of more attacks of he moved; I doubt he was in his right mind to really heal Xander or even move. He's not trained for combat situations.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

EvilIguana966

Judging by how he's handling things so far, I sure hope he doesn't move those hands to the back of his head.  The cumulative shock effect might kill him and result in an angst explosion with enough force to shatter the fourth wall.  Remember, these are real imaginary characters so I want to see GOGGLES. 

Sunblink

Quote from: superluser on January 05, 2007, 09:33:21 PMBecause they don't have a clear shot to Abel, and aren't even sure if he's alive?  I doubt that the creatures have unlimited mana.

Does mana really apply to the DMFA-verse? Sounds more like something out of DrowTales.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Turnsky

Quote from: Akisohida on January 05, 2007, 09:43:57 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 05, 2007, 08:30:14 PM

Yeah but he just watched people die AND was hearing throughts AND there was the possibility of more attacks of he moved; I doubt he was in his right mind to really heal Xander or even move. He's not trained for combat situations.

that and there's that whole haemophobia thing Abel has...
i personally think that there'd have to be some sort of outside intervention to get abel to move from his cosy little shell of misery and angst.

i feel really sorry for abel at this point..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

ShiningShadow

:C 'A' Devin dead. No I will not accept the fate of Devin this way. He's barely alive I know it, Abel has to try and heal him ASAP. Amber is making us to believe that Devin is dead but will pull a fast one and Devin will live. I will not stand by and mourn a friend that he is not dead yet. Nope I will wait further till I will make preparations  :cry.

Turnsky

Quote from: ShiningShadow on January 05, 2007, 10:20:41 PM
:C 'A' Devin dead. No I will not accept the fate of Devin this way. He's barely alive I know it, Abel has to try and heal him ASAP. Amber is making us to believe that Devin is dead but will pull a fast one and Devin will live. I will not stand by and mourn a friend that he is not dead yet. Nope I will wait further till I will make preparations  :cry.

be you a king or chimney-sweeper, sooner or later you meet the reaper..  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

superluser

Quote from: Evil.Iguana on January 05, 2007, 09:59:13 PMJudging by how he's handling things so far, I sure hope he doesn't move those hands to the back of his head.

Well, it wouldn't be a shock; after all, he's already been dragged around by the headwings, so he knows that they're there.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 05, 2007, 10:10:33 PMDoes mana really apply to the DMFA-verse? Sounds more like something out of DrowTales.

I'm trying to think of a fantasy-based story or game that involves magic but does not involve mana (or magic points or whatever).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

*Charles checks Devin with his tricorder*  He's dead, Jim.  Jim, he's dead.   :<  I can't find his katra either.  Several adventurer voices cried out in pain and were suddenly silenced.  He was struck down... but he didn't become more powerful than I could possibly imagine, unlike Obiwan.  It's over... it's all over...  :cry  

*Charline is having a joygasm!*  OOOOOO!!!  The anguish!  The utter overwhelming anguish!  *takes deep breaths*  I'm hyperventilating from the sheer desire to taste Abel's suffering!  :eager
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nerikull

*the tiger walks to the darkest corner he can find, curls in it, and proceeds to bawl his eyes out*

:cry
--Nerikull Murakami
"When life hands you lemons, chuck them back until life hands you the winning lottery ticket!"

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Turnsky on January 05, 2007, 10:23:13 PM
Quote from: ShiningShadow on January 05, 2007, 10:20:41 PM
:C 'A' Devin dead. No I will not accept the fate of Devin this way. He's barely alive I know it, Abel has to try and heal him ASAP. Amber is making us to believe that Devin is dead but will pull a fast one and Devin will live. I will not stand by and mourn a friend that he is not dead yet. Nope I will wait further till I will make preparations  :cry.

be you a king or chimney-sweeper, sooner or later you meet the reaper..  >:3

Neither just a average School Aide Joe :).