12/5/2006 Scutum means `shield'

Started by superluser, December 04, 2006, 09:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

...it's neuter, though, so it should be ``scutum sanctum''--holy shi--eld.

Looks like Glory's not being bad, after all.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

You would all like to think that dont ya *smirks coyly*

superluser

You know, Devin really seemed to know what that spell was all about.  And also seemed to know why Glory was out there before.  It's almost as if he knows the ways of the paladin...

(I'll let you in on a little secret--I hate starting these threads because it makes me feel like I'm in a race, and doesn't give me enough time to collect my thoughts.  But I had my Latin dictionary right there...)

Zedd

Yay for research! But its half odvious what the spell was...But I tell you my father was a plaliadin...If you wanna know more..Drop me a line :)

Akisohida

Yay for combat! Also, I LOVE the donation counter for this month! EEEEEE for Matty and Dan! ^.^ *Does the Foxspider Dance Of Joy* :boogie :eager :bunny :ipod
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Roureem Egas

I'm a bit surprised that Devin referred to Abel as a friend. Beyond that, I don't have much to say. :/

Damn essays.

Caswin

This is just me talking here, but... I predict that someone's gonna die.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

superluser

Quote from: Zedd on December 04, 2006, 09:25:16 PMBut its half odvious what the spell was...

-secut- in Latin tends to imply action.  That and you don't tend to encounter shields too often in Latin.

And then... she pulls a John Lovitz and switches emotions mid-sentence and suddenly fire starts coming from the sky.  I thought at first she was trying to lull them into a false sense ofGETTHEM! because she thought that Abel was the creature.

Quote from: Roureem Egas on December 04, 2006, 09:36:58 PMI'm a bit surprised that Devin referred to Abel as a friend. Beyond that, I don't have much to say. :/

I think they all know that the ribbing is all in good fun (except Abel when the ribbing is about him).  I think Devin realizes that he would be personally devastated to see anything bad happen to Abel.

Aridas

Woot! seemingly racist but just cautious. Yay glory. Now... WTF, we're about to find out what's going on, possibly. And likely what they've been after all this time.

Distracting

Hmm...call it a delusion, but is it just me or is a certain dalmatian who had it pointed out about him being at SAIA missing?

I like the fire though. =)

superluser

Quote from: HeroZero on December 04, 2006, 09:59:27 PMHmm...call it a delusion, but is it just me or is a certain dalmatian who had it pointed out about him being at SAIA missing?

You know, I also noticed that Abel seems to have an affinity to fire, and the fire seems to be caused by whatever this creature is.

...so, Xander is Dan's grandfather?

Aridas

Quote from: HeroZero on December 04, 2006, 09:59:27 PM
Hmm...call it a delusion, but is it just me or is a certain dalmatian who had it pointed out about him being at SAIA missing?

I like the fire though. =)
by that logic, you may as well assume the other few members of Glory's party are also missing. he should probably be considered as off-camera until something important happens, or he's entirely missing from the next one. At the time it was just between abel, devin, and glory... So you can't be too hasty. Still room for worry, though...

Quote from: superluser on December 04, 2006, 10:01:59 PM
Quote from: HeroZero on December 04, 2006, 09:59:27 PMHmm...call it a delusion, but is it just me or is a certain dalmatian who had it pointed out about him being at SAIA missing?

You know, I also noticed that Abel seems to have an affinity to fire, and the fire seems to be caused by whatever this creature is.

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean anything like that...

bill

Quote from: superluser on December 04, 2006, 10:01:59 PM

Yes. Can't believe I missed that.

Landon_Fox

Paladins are an odd thing to me.  On one hand, I can understand how lawful good can easily become lawful stupid.  But on the other hand, all of their special abilities are based on frikkin' charisma!  So they should be extremely likable people.  I'm glad to see a paladin shown to have some sense.

Elader Arkon

Glory has a cool magical shield. Paladins generally seem fairly disliked until its time for combat. Then everyone loves 'em.

Is it just me or does there seem to be little faces in the fire hinting at a very experienced caster?

Manawolf

High charisma doesn't meen you're likable, it just means you have a more...domineering personality.  They show a sense of bravery, refusal in backing down, and also a demand for respect.  How you wish to flesh out that charismatic personality is up to you, but they most certainly won't be shy.

Faux_Pas

Those have to be the greatest looking fireballs I have ever seen EVER!!!! (I just had to comment on them alone...)

I like how the arc seems to be heating up, if we just get a tiny bit lucky, well get a nice battle scene that lasts like 5 comics long. We dont really get a chance to see magic happen all that much, and i likes magic. <3

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Faux_Pas on December 04, 2006, 10:31:20 PM
Those have to be the greatest looking fireballs I have ever seen EVER!!!! (I just had to comment on them alone...)

I like how the arc seems to be heating up, if we just get a tiny bit lucky, well get a nice battle scene that lasts like 5 comics long. We dont really get a chance to see magic happen all that much, and i likes magic. <3
Heating up... :giggle

Did ya' notice that the fireballs seem to have eyes? Maybe they're just cool spots, but they look like eyes.

And how come Abel doesn't seem worried? He seems to be confused about the whole thing.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Aridas

I think you guys are overanalyzing this eye thing, where it can easily be part of the fireball's spread-y nature. it's not solid, after all.

Faerie Alex

Jeez I need to update this thing.

Elader Arkon

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 04, 2006, 10:42:33 PM
I think you guys are overanalyzing this eye thing, where it can easily be part of the fireball's spread-y nature. it's not solid, after all.

But that's not anywhere NEAR as fun as imagining the skill it would take for someone to cast such a spell.
*thinks back to the horses appearing in the water in the LOTR*

Ok, the caster probably isn't that powerful, but I would think that most magic users would add their own personal touch to their spell...

Manawolf

I thought they were flame arrows at first.  When I think fireball, I see something...a lot bigger (except for D&D fireball, which is nothing more than a yellow bead till it reaches the target point, where it then explodes in a 40 foot blast).

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: modelincard on December 04, 2006, 10:39:27 PM

And how come Abel doesn't seem worried? He seems to be confused about the whole thing.

He's going through his Aurther Dent phase.

Zaon

Quote from: modelincard on December 04, 2006, 10:39:27 PM
Maybe he knows the spellcaster
after all Kria Soulstealer was his teacher and she HAS been known to go through the countryside and attack people. She did it on her trip with her daughter.

Toric

I can only hope we'll get to see some the magic Abel's learned within the next two or three strips! :eager
Yap by Silver.

Teroniss

Its always good to see someone who can quickly react to any threat. Gvies the idea of high reflexes. Also, charisma dictates alot of things. In Glory's case, a high charisma could dictates a very intimidating personality, as Charisma influences Intimidate in D&D

Grenn

Heh, I thought at first that Glory was all of a sudden attacking Abel thinking he was the creature.

Now upon looking back, I can tell she's defending against an attack coming from outside the fort. Likley the monster ;)

Woo! Solved my own confusion by looking carefully. :lol

The Lurking Dragon

Charisma is more likely to make you dominating in a discussion, but not domineering. Charisma is force of personality whether it be by looks or just "aura of command" It by no means makes one Lawful Stupid, that's more a result of players being held to half of  LG - Lawful but not necessarily Good. Paladins tend to be hated because most tend to have less mercy in them than they should.
As far as the comic, well, just because Devin knows that those words mean holy shield and duck does in no way tie him to paladins, just makes him an adventurer. If he were in a D&D game I'd say he made his Spellcraft check. =) Abel's lack of reaction can be easily summed up with "Huh?" He hasn't quite twigged to what's going on, which is fair since he didn't see the fireballs coming.
"You can't see me or hear me unless I want you to."
The Lurking Dragon

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: Toric on December 04, 2006, 11:32:57 PM
I can only hope we'll get to see some the magic Abel's learned within the next two or three strips! :eager
:yeahthat

Manawolf

Quote from: The Lurking Dragon on December 04, 2006, 11:47:13 PM
Charisma is more likely to make you dominating in a discussion, but not domineering. Charisma is force of personality whether it be by looks or just "aura of command" It by no means makes one Lawful Stupid, that's more a result of players being held to half of  LG - Lawful but not necessarily Good. Paladins tend to be hated because most tend to have less mercy in them than they should.
As far as the comic, well, just because Devin knows that those words mean holy shield and duck does in no way tie him to paladins, just makes him an adventurer. If he were in a D&D game I'd say he made his Spellcraft check. =) Abel's lack of reaction can be easily summed up with "Huh?" He hasn't quite twigged to what's going on, which is fair since he didn't see the fireballs coming.

According to exalted deeds, it should be the othr way around.  A paladin should follow the law, unless the law starts to turn evil (such as forcing cruel punishment on people).  Then it's up to the paladin to set the law right so that it follows the way of good.  This is also how you get church inquisitors.