11/24/06 - Abel doesn't get out much...

Started by Grenn, November 23, 2006, 11:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grenn

Heh. So if Abel is well known to be stubborn enough to not have left SAIA before this, then he most certainly is a match for Dan's stubborn ways :)

I suppose all Cubi know each other at some point in another. All thanks to the acadamy :D

Also, I must say. These comics get better and better visually speaking. Great work! It is surley noticed and appreciated! :)

Manawolf

Well, it doesn't seem like SAIA asks for tuition, so Abel would be freeloading.

Nikki

hmmmm...so i'm guessing Destania taught Abel?

i wonder how much she knows...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

ChaosTiger

well, she didn't have to teach abel to know how he is: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_584.php [<best... comic... EVER!]

hmm... what does she mean by "My return would only cause disaster"?

Zedd

Seriously that cats been under a rock for who knows how long...

GabrielsThoughts

what's a mook, I keep getting these horrible flashbacks of Timon and pumba.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

DigitalMan

*ponders* You know, I really think Destania supervising Dan would result in far less disaster.

Dakata

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 24, 2006, 01:12:45 AM
"The term mook or jamook is Italian American slang for an annoying, stupid, undesirable person."? :U

Got it from Wikipedia. [Click]

Madmann135

I'm starting to see Where Dan gets his shocked expressions from.

Dan and his mom need to handle their disputes ASAP in my opinion.  So in other words it's just gonna be Stubbornness VS Destania. 

and considering Dan's will it will probably end in a tie.

Not to mention the Shock factor of Abel out of SAIA

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

AmigaDragon

I'm wondering if Abel has been using SAIA as a place to hide from the rest of the world, seeing the abuse he puts up with in the Abel's Story arc. He ends up tormenting other cubi because he's bored being (self imposed) stuck on campus.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

TikiTDO

Abel seems to act a lot like Devin, especially the part about being an asshole.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_54.php

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_658.php

When I look at these two scenes I see almost the same person, only a few hundred years removed. I am going to hold off my speculation until we see a bit more of Abel's story though.

Tapewolf

Heh, well it was pretty obvious that Destania would have taught Abel.  Interesting that he never mentioned her to Dan, though.  He knows their relationship, having seen Dan's file.

Quote from: AmigaDragon on November 24, 2006, 01:48:11 AM
I'm wondering if Abel has been using SAIA as a place to hide from the rest of the world, seeing the abuse he puts up with in the Abel's Story arc. He ends up tormenting other cubi because he's bored being (self imposed) stuck on campus.

Short answer: We don't really know.

Long answer: Abel has been hiding from the rest of the world, at least to some degree, but we don't know why.  There are several possible reasons that I can see:

(1)  Abel seems to have a paranoia about Beings.  That might be because he's been pursued by angry, torch-wielding villagers, or it might be because he's been among 'cubi for 370-odd years and doesn't really know how to deal with them anymore (see #649).  He's likely to have been feed many horror-stories of 'cubi persecution as well, although things do seem to have changed within the last 20 years or so (which he would have missed).

(2) Abel might simply have been afraid to leave SAIA because it's a big step and he wasn't emotionally ready for it.

(3) Fa'lina is described as having virtually adopted him, and the fact that he wasn't eager to leave SAIA may suggests he has no-one to return to, and my guess is that he lost both parents to Beings.  This would also account for his depressive 'goth phase', although both cases might be explained by him simply having fallen out with them big-time.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sid

Quote from: Fa'LinaI had hoped Fa'Lina would...

Would do what? Throw him in a dungeon and give him a "F'L" branding? :P

Quite a few interesting info bits in this one, can't wait to see where this is going :)
:boogie

Arcalane

Quote from: Dakata on November 24, 2006, 01:19:45 AM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 24, 2006, 01:12:45 AM
"The term mook or jamook is Italian American slang for an annoying, stupid, undesirable person."? :U

Got it from Wikipedia. [Click]

I use it alongside thug/minion/lackey/flunkey/etc. myself. ;)

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 24, 2006, 04:55:23 AM
my guess is that he lost both parents to Beings. 

Hasn't it been established both his parents were beings ?

If so he has no good reason to fear returning to a life among being, all his friends and family are dead and he will outlive many people he meets, think of his reaction when Jy-jy suggests he's not such a bad guy, he huddled in a corner. Its like Dan comment about outliving his friends. The other comment that comes to mind is 'everytime I get close to someone they die.'
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Aridas

If his parents were both beings, there'd be no cubi abel.

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 24, 2006, 05:59:04 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 24, 2006, 04:55:23 AM
my guess is that he lost both parents to Beings. 

Hasn't it been established both his parents were beings ?

No, the jury is still out on that one.  Obviously one of his parents must be a 'cubi or he wouldn't be one himself, but we do not know who it is.
Now it might be that May got suckered by an incubus in the guise of Cid, in which case my theory is wrong, but I'm generally acting on the assumption that one of May or Cid is a 'cubi.
I always thought it was May myself, but Amber appeared to say that Being-'cubi offspring usually take on the appearance of the Being, which suggests it's Cid.  There is circumstantial evidence for both of them (May not eating but being fazed by his clanmark... her in-laws in the Demon city of Zinvth... her 'well-preserved' look - Cid's belief that not all Demons are evil.. his eyepatch since should be able to heal himself if he's a cubi, but it might be concealing where HIS clanmark is) etc etc.

Abel's dislike of 'cubi masquerading as others strongly suggests that one of his parents is a 'cubi but disguised.  And getting back to the point at hand, if they are unmasked outside of Zinvth, they'll probably be killed by some kind of lynch mob.  And that would make him dead scared of Beings.

Generally I agree with you, but there is a snag with the "every time I get close to someone they die" hypothesis - he wouldn't have experienced that until after he's left SAIA.
It would work if he didn't enter SAIA until about 100, and had to watch people age and die - but I'm not sure that's the case.  It's like 'Fellowship of the Ring' - people will start to ask awkward questions if you reach eleventy-one and still look around thirty.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gornemant

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 24, 2006, 06:26:54 AM
No, the jury is still out on that one.  Obviously one of his parents must be a 'cubi or he wouldn't be one himself, but we do not know who it is.
Well, Amber did say that with a parent being a "cubi", the kid is either a "cubi" himself, or a normal being.
But, I don't remember anything about "dormant" genes (either I forgot or didn't see it when mentioned), see, if none of your parents or grandparents had blue eyes, you might still end up with blue eyes because one of your grand grandparents had them. You can also see some midgets having a normal sized kid.  :U

superluser

...And so the truth comes out.  Abel is the offspring of Stan Laurel and Woody Allen.

``Don't you know anything?  Incubi can't be killed.  It's not polite.  You can't stab me, I'm allergic to steel!  Don't believe that one either?  We give off noxious fumes when we die...''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aridas

Quote from: Gornemant on November 24, 2006, 07:20:00 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 24, 2006, 06:26:54 AM
No, the jury is still out on that one. Obviously one of his parents must be a 'cubi or he wouldn't be one himself, but we do not know who it is.
Well, Amber did say that with a parent being a "cubi", the kid is either a "cubi" himself, or a normal being.
But, I don't remember anything about "dormant" genes (either I forgot or didn't see it when mentioned), see, if none of your parents or grandparents had blue eyes, you might still end up with blue eyes because one of your grand grandparents had them. You can also see some midgets having a normal sized kid. :U
But your kid won't mutate into an incredibly different race.

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. even in the presence of lots of magic?

I, personally, am of the opinion that magic trumps logic. You are welcome to disagree... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Well, from what Amber has indicated, one of the parents has to be a creature to get creature heritage.  Magic has nothing to do with it, other than to dictate the level of creatureness in the offspring.  Now, if Jyrras had been involved... his techno-magical experiments would have been a trump card, since he's already created life twice!  But, Abel was born 400 years ago, when the technology was still very primitive.  So unless Pyro IS a time travelling shape-shifting dragon and went back there are did some horrible experiments on Abel (which would explain the intense hate), we must conclude that either May or Cid is a cubi, OR May was tricked by a cubi.

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

... or that Amber has some other thing in mind, that we haven't considered.

... I like to take the road less travelled :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gornemant

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on November 24, 2006, 10:03:53 AM
how different is a cubi to a regular being?

Wanderer

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 24, 2006, 11:39:10 AM
... or that Amber has some other thing in mind, that we haven't considered.

... I like to take the road less travelled :-)
Don't be silly. Everyone knows that Amber hasn't planned any of this out at all, and is making it up as she goes. She's just laughing at us as we try to figure out her (nonexistant) plot for the story. ~_^

Alan Garou

Quote from: Gornemant on November 24, 2006, 11:48:56 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on November 24, 2006, 10:03:53 AM
how different is a cubi to a regular being?
That might actually work... I'll run some lab tests on the subject. Of course, the test subject may simply be hiding their powers, but still... um, uh... Look! An obvious distraction! 
:kirby

GabrielsThoughts

maybe Abel's mom went to the digo market to get her unborn child genetically engineered and that's why Abel is upset.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Wanderer on November 24, 2006, 11:57:03 AM
Don't be silly. Everyone knows that Amber hasn't planned any of this out at all, and is making it up as she goes. She's just laughing at us as we try to figure out her (nonexistant) plot for the story. ~_^

I'll shank you boy! :U

Alan Garou

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 24, 2006, 12:16:16 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on November 24, 2006, 11:57:03 AM
I'll shank you boy! :U
Seems we've hit a nerve. Let's keep poking and see where this leads. (Pai-Gon swoops down and stabs him through the head with a sword.) :knifed On second thought, let's not bug the Cartoon Goddess. The results are usually painful for everyone. Better to just wait and see what happens.
On another note, I have a feeling that Abel had some sort of conflict with Destiana a la Calvin and Hobbes' "Noodle Incident," and that we'll soon witness the aftermath.

Starcat5

All this "Cubi or Being" talk makes me curious. What would happen if one were to cross a Cubi and another Creature? Would a resulting Cubi from such a pairing lack the powers/abilities that his/her non-Cubi siblings might have?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah