[Art] Gabi: updated irregularly (24/01/10 - Page 5)

Started by Gabi, November 05, 2006, 01:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

I can say the grey fox likes toying with my button and Abels the most...

Gabi

Err... I guess this counts as art. I'll post something more elaborate next time. But at least it fulfilled its original purpose.

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

LionHeart

I like it! :D

Very clever, and appropriate to any sort of creative person, whether artist, writer, or whatever. :mowcookie
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Gabi

Heh.  Thanks.

Well, here's the more elaborate drawing I promised. It's Erin, from Quest of Twelve. She was a pain to color, but I think she came out close enough to what I imagined her like after all.

Click to enlarge.

Please don't post saying the sword is too big unless you've read chapter 3 of QoT. It's meant to be that way. Other comments are welcome.

Suwako

I like big swords,
Nice picture and I thank you secret santa drawing.  :) Instantly sav'ed it to my computer. In a category that isnt 1 gb  >:3

Gabi

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gabi

Thanks, llearch. And since you did read it, you're allowed that comment anyway. :P

Now... the December donation pic is finally here! After a day of drawing, a day of inking and coloring some bits with real media, 3 days of waiting for the computer attached to the scanner to become available and a bit over 2 more days to color it and add all the effects... I did more than a few experiments here. Some went better than others, but in any case I think I've learnt a few things while doing this. And yes, it's an odd angle. Bwahahahaha... :mwaha

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gabi on January 05, 2007, 10:38:44 PM
Thanks, llearch. And since you did read it, you're allowed that comment anyway. :P

I'm just such a troublemaker. :-)

Nice pic, though...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tiger_T

Looks pretty good!
I like how his glasses seem 3D. They really fit well.

Small critique:
His left sleeve has a strange white streak, as have the tiles of the tower in the background.

Experimenting is good.
One learns much of it:
To shrink the final picture to avoid crappy lines.
To use multiple layers to add shadows.
To not use .jpg to store the WIP-file.
To not set the house on fire.
>:3 :rolleyes

BTW, what is your art-program of joice?
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Gabi

Thanks for all your comments. :)

I use GIMP most of the time. Sometimes I add a few touches with Paint SHop Pro (which I didn't do for this image), but it's a hassle because it only runs on Windows so I have to reboot whenever I want to use it. So yes, mostly GIMP. The 2 things I like about PSP that GIMP doesn't have are match modes, and point-to-point/smart edge selection. Despeckle is also useful sometimes, for poor scans.

I'm glad you liked the glasses, I think they were the best of all the experiments I tried. I first colored the lens with a 6B pencil before scanning them, and then used the bucket fill tool set to chocolate brown with the Saturation blend mode. As for the frame... I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to repeat it if I tried. It was a matter of filling it with light blue and medium grey using different blend modes until it looked ok. But I think the Burn blend mode was responsible for that 3D look.

As for the small critique...
You missed the mess at the top of the window, which I'm sure everyone will look at now. Sorry about the lighter streaks on the tower, it was an accident. I'll make sure to be more careful when trying out light effects.

What's the WIP-file? I never store any of my drawings as .JPG anyway, the quality loss is too much.

Tapewolf

Aw, does that mean I was the only contributor in December?

From the rather wicked expression and the castle backdrop I'd guess this rendition was rooted in the Johan Cross story.  It's very nice :3

I see what TigerT means about the left sleeve, but I can probably correct that this end (either by darkening or at a pinch, the clone brush).
Personally I don't see the 3D-ness of the glasses although they do seem to have an anti-scratch coating.

What's the WIP-file? I never store any of my drawings as .JPG anyway, the quality loss is too much.

WIP means 'Work-In-Progress', so yeah you're doing that anyway.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Yes, you were the only one.

I'm glad you like it. :) Yes, I did get some inspiration from your story, though it was a mixture, actually.

Ah, the clone brush... that's one more thing for which I need to resort to PSP. And also the scratch removal tool.

I'm not sure whether darkening would work or not, but I can try.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on January 06, 2007, 08:29:19 AM
Ah, the clone brush... that's one more thing for which I need to resort to PSP. And also the scratch removal tool.
Now I'm curious.  What's the PSP clone brush do that the GIMP one doesn't?

Tiger_T

Work In Progress, right. :rolleyes

I usually use .png or when working multi-layer the GIMP's own brand .xcf to save those.

I'm sure some copy and pasting could easily repair the windowframe. :3 :mowwink

For the sleeves, maybe try this:
Add a new frame aboth your pic, paint the parts you want darker in a dark color and then pull the transparency-lever until it matches. (I hope I make sense to you. :animesweat)
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Tapewolf

Here's the sleeve after about 45 seconds with the clone tool:
[redacted]

One thing which I didn't really want to mention is that the ears are too small, that's a structural change though.  I might try to fix it myself, but don't sweat it.

Gabi

Oh, I've done some changes myself. Not just the sleeve, but the tower and the top of the window as well (I edited the original post, so you can click again to see the new version).

As for the ears... Sure, go ahead. And thanks for your help.

Tapewolf

This is my take.. I've given him ear extensions and smoothed out the ragged shading on the trousers and the shadow.

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/decemberaq2.png

Gabi

Gabi

Gabi

Alright, here's my January donation picture! I couldn't do exactly what someone suggested with only one character, but... close enough, I guess.

Zedd

Kenji

He's such a mack-daddy, he fell for HIMSELF. Now that takes talent. From him and from the artist. :3 Nice job on the reverse, Gabilab. ^-^

Janus Whitefurr

Zedd & KK: In general when I look in the mirror, the dialogue that comes out of my mouth is more along the lines of "You, sir, look ugleh."

Gabi: Very cute work, though you might need to darken the eyes a little and put a little white around the corner of that eye. I might wear glasses but I'm not blind yet... and I was kinda thinking you'd forget my name so I could sneak that donation in and run. :p
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Zedd

Dont make me have to get the ultimate weapon....*draws out the giant mint bar*

Tiger_T

Cute idea, Gabi. :)

I think you closed your eyes, Janus. :rolleyes

Hmm, from the position of the mirror, I'd have thought we would see his reflection from another angle. :P
Tigriel's got a guest:

Gabi

Zedd and KK: thank you. :)

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on February 02, 2007, 10:56:15 PM
Zedd & KK: In general when I look in the mirror, the dialogue that comes out of my mouth is more along the lines of "You, sir, look ugleh."

Gabi: Very cute work, though you might need to darken the eyes a little and put a little white around the corner of that eye. I might wear glasses but I'm not blind yet... and I was kinda thinking you'd forget my name so I could sneak that donation in and run. :p
Now, why would you want to do that? :rolleyes Anyway, Azlan was the hardest to figure out so far, as I'd never seen his name. Your name is on every Furfire-related page. Hard to miss. As for the eyes, they're supposed to be closed.

Quote from: Zedd on February 02, 2007, 11:00:11 PM
Dont make me have to get the ultimate weapon....*draws out the giant mint bar*
?

Quote from: Tiger_T on February 03, 2007, 06:51:12 AM
Cute idea, Gabi. :)

I think you closed your eyes, Janus. :rolleyes

Hmm, from the position of the mirror, I'd have thought we would see his reflection from another angle. :P
Thanks.
That's right.
I wasn't sure about it myself. Mirrors are hard to draw. Maybe next time I'll make it different, but at least it doesn't look completely awful.

Zedd

Gabi

I'm better prepared for AC this time around. I have my own badge!

(Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.)