2006-10-28: Abel's Story

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, October 27, 2006, 09:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yay!

... hey, are we now supposed to feel sorry for Devin?

(edited the subject to put the date first....)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Zedd

Faerie Alex

QuoteWoo! Sepia!
Well it is like 375 years ago. :mowdizzy

I believe that GabrielsThoughts said in another thread:
QuoteDevin probably had a horible childhood...
(Just expresses it well. Almost spot on.)
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Sid

Quote from: modelincard on October 27, 2006, 09:58:10 PM
QuoteWoo! Sepia!
Well it is like 375 years ago. :mowdizzy

Actually, it's less than... 20 years ago. This is just Devin's childhood, told within Abel's youth...hood. Otherwise, the entire Abel's Story would have to be in Sepia ;)
:boogie

Faerie Alex

I was thinking color might have been invented between 375 and 400 years ago (relative to DMFA's normal storyline). Or maybe I should stop trying to think at 10:00 PM.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Sid

Quote from: modelincard on October 27, 2006, 10:26:40 PM
I was thinking color might have been invented between 375 and 400 years ago (relative to DMFA's normal storyline). Or maybe I should stop trying to think at 10:00 PM.

Interesting argument... And it's 4.30am here, so I already stopped thinking :3
:boogie

GabrielsThoughts

he's an orphan... oh the cliche', how tired art though.

:eager more, the devil is in the details.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

DigitalMan

Well now, seems a few people called that one. Not me, though :B

JONJONAUG

Ah...an incubi father (note the headwing shadow).

Hm...could Abel and Devin be half-brothers, with Devin not inheriting incubi traits?

ShiningShadow

Interesting thought and theory there. I never have thought of it before. But it's the emotional side of Devin that needs to let out in the open.

Boog

Well, I called it. His excuse is that his own young life sucked, so ergo he'd be unkind to those around him. Cool sepia stuffs though.

Zina

ShiningShadow

Maybe the sepia sets the mood for Devin and his agnst against everything in life.

Zedd

Quote from: Zina on October 27, 2006, 11:09:21 PM
Headwing shadow where? o.O

Yeah what shadow...I dont see it..Might need your eyes checked Jon

Toric

Those shadows could've been either ears or headwings. I wondered about that when I first saw the silhouette too. He didn't have any rear wings from what I could see though. The shadow behind his back is fairly obviously his tail.
Yap by Silver.

Zina

I'm fairly certain the silhouette's Devin and those are his ears. :o

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Zina on October 27, 2006, 11:14:40 PM

Then you are refering that Devin is a Cubi. But never was a Cubi right?

Zina

Quote from: ShiningShadow on October 27, 2006, 11:25:21 PM

Then you are refering that Devin is a Cubi. But never was a Cubi right?

.....what.

rt

Ahh yes nice 'brown fade back effect' of whatever fancy word you wish to call it.

I see ears with fluffy on the top in the shadow, and a tail with long hairs and a lion tail fluff on the end. Both like Devin has .. Maybe dad's ears are a bit more perky / stick up ears than Devin's (though was Devin's sad 'all is death' ears in past few comics it is a tricky comparison)

Toric

Oh, that would make sense. Devin does have those poofs at the tips of his ears. I'm just not used to them facing upward.

And SS, she's saying that the fluffy bumps above the head are ears, not headwings.

[Edit] Come to think of it, rt might be right, that could still be Devin's father. Along with the upright ears, the muzzle just seems too long, I thought Devin's snout was catlike, like Dan and Abel's.
Yap by Silver.

James StarRunner

Holy cow... Reading though this thread it seems like half of ya are confused out of your minds. Those that suggested they need sleep, please do so.

edit> It's just Devin's tail and ears that people are confusing as wings. That is all.

DigitalMan

:yeahthat I'm thinking the same.

Makes me wonder why his father left... Also makes me wonder if we'll ever find out.

Jim Halisstrad

NO!  I've GOT IT.

Devin's Dad is really Fa'Lina.  Think about it.

You know it to be true.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on October 27, 2006, 11:59:36 PM
NO!  I've GOT IT.

Devin's Dad is really Fa'Lina.  Think about it.

You know it to be true.

STOP READING MY NOTES! :U

Zedd

Quote from: Amber Panyko on October 28, 2006, 12:01:49 AM
Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on October 27, 2006, 11:59:36 PM
NO! I've GOT IT.

Devin's Dad is really Fa'Lina. Think about it.

You know it to be true.

Yeah she gets enough getting her mind probe by freaking greys

Supercheese

Is anyone else confused about that last sentence?

"She smelled of lilac... and the day she died."

It... doesn't make much sense to me. She smelled of the day she died?  :mowdizzy

DigitalMan

Quote from: Supercheese on October 28, 2006, 12:12:38 AM
Is anyone else confused about that last sentence?

"She smelled of lilac... and the day she died."

It... doesn't make much sense to me. She smelled of the day she died? :mowdizzy

I think it's a list of what he remembers, since he doesn't remember much.

Shakal

I concur that the silhouette is simply Devin. And yes, it's ears and tail, no wings.

right now, my current speculation IS going along the same lines of "Devin-Abel half brothers". If we take a look at what we know of Abel's clan, we know that it's gone at this point, and has been for a good long while. From this we may speculate that it was already dearly gone when Abel himself was born. If that were true, you could have had a situation of one of the last incubi of that clan searching for a way to have a child, to keep the clan alive. well, what options would he have to do this? We haven't seen a way in Furrae to create a child without the mother-father coupling. No artificial wombs, no 'make me a baby' spells, even Jyrras's creations are of different species, not a true 'child' in the way our hypothetical incubus needs. Thus, he'd need a female. A succubus would be out of the question, a clanless cubi would be in too great of danger of soul loss around another of his race to consumate a child, let alone raise it. The preferable mother would be of a more easily controlled, and less feared variety. IE, a being.

Thus far, I'm not bringing up anything that hasn't been brought up before, but consider HOW the incubus would go about finding a mother for his protegee. He'd want to stick around to ensure the child's safety, so a date rape or similar 'one night stand' won't work, he needs a long lasting relationship, preferably marriage, to keep things tied together. However, the incubus need only be emotionally attached to his child, so long as the mother is fooled enough to raise the young cubi well. Thus if the incubus could take over the life of someone ALREADY IN a marriage, and fool his 'wife' well enough that she never catch on, He gains the best and fastest beenfit.

Well, there's lots of folks out there that are male, married, and conveniently probably also looking for the incubus in question. Many adventurers fall into that group. So sometime when one that happens to be married and male comes to try to take him out, rather then kill the adventurer our hypothetical cubi instead traps him and studies him, until he thinks he can give a sufficiently good impersonation (remember, since cubi can listen in on surface feelings, it would be easy to keep suspicion down, as you simply alter what you're doing whenever you detect suspicion starting.

Again, most of this has already been brought up, but what I don't think has been asked yet... what happens if the incubus goes through the process, perfects his impersonation, proceeds with the plan... and then the child is born, but doesn't have wings. As far as we've seen, ALL cubi have wings. A lack of them would mean the child is a being, not a cubi, and thus worthless to the cubi. He'd then have to choose, should he start all over, or just plow ahead, only now only being able to invest half his resources, his wife only giving half of her attention, to the important child.

An incubus self centered enough to start this sort of plan would find the decision easy. Walk out the door, and try again with someone else's family.

I wouldn't by a long shot call this evidence, or a bullet proof theory. It hinges on a lot of speculations, specifically that Abel's clan was already near extinct at the time of Abel's Birth, and that one of the surviving members is dedicated to the continuation of the clan. But if those turn out to be true, then it would give a very good explanation for why Devin's father left as soon as he was able to give the newborn a good look. And it would lend more riddance to Cid being a cubi, which has always been my slant anyway. May would be too obvious.

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Amber Panyko on October 28, 2006, 12:01:49 AM

FINE!  YOU CAN JUST FIND ANOTHER CREEPY STALKER THEN!  :tantrum

On a side note didn't they use Lilac back in the RL darkages for... perfume I think.  I know it was used for something along those lines.