[Story] Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn (01/Jun/08 - Final chapter)

Started by Tapewolf, July 25, 2006, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

I knew it couldn't all go well. It was interesting how Jakob tested himself near the end of the chapter.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on November 24, 2007, 03:26:15 PM
I knew it couldn't all go well. It was interesting how Jakob tested himself near the end of the chapter.
Yeah, when it comes down to it, Jakob is a rather confused person.  Even later, in the Furrae Chronicles, he's still not entirely sure if he's a Being or a Creature.

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 22, 2007, 09:49:36 PM
it seemed like a shorter chapter than usual, but I don't read as often as the others.
It was a pig to finish off, but it is over the quota I try to aim for.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 22, 2007, 04:32:24 PM
Oh, you just -love- ending your chapters on short sentences, don't you? ;-]
I love ending them with cool sentences >:3
Of course I don't always succeed...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Not sure if he's a Being or a Creature? What do you mean? Hasn't he known he was a Cubi for most of his life now?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on November 24, 2007, 04:23:13 PM
Not sure if he's a Being or a Creature? What do you mean? Hasn't he known he was a Cubi for most of his life now?
Well, yes, but he grew up to believe he was a Being.  And now he's trapped between two quite different sets of morals and expected behaviours.

Paladin Sheppard

Tapewolf

Okay, one attack of writer's block later, here we go.   Thanks to llearch for unlocking it.

Chapter 37

"I suppose there is little point in asking why you're here," said the Dalmatian.  "But what could possibly give you the audacity to rob me, your King?"

"Firstly, you aren't my King and I don't think Jakob here is one to take orders either," Zivan replied casually, as though he was remarking on the weather.
"But secondly, and far more importantly, many treasured artifacts from the temple of St. Kelnar were stolen.  Someone told us that they might be in your care, so we came to have a look... and guess what we found!  We are simply returning them to their true owner."

While the two of them bandied words, I was reinforcing the noise-damping enchantments around the King's bedchamber.  And none too soon, for the King soon lost his patience and began to call for his guards.

"Save your voice," I said.  "No-one can hear your screams."

He bristled.  "So... assassination too?  May the Devourer take your spirits as a snack!"

That jarred me, somehow.

"What Devourer?"  I asked curiously.

"The Goddess, the Devourer!"

"Oh no.  Surely you're not part of some nut-cult that worships Charline."

"She is the Goddess..." his expression was bordering on rapture.

"Nonsense," I said.  "She's just another 'Cubi.  So am I, for that matter.  If you want to worship me as well, I'm sure that can be arranged.

"Anyhow, we seem to be in a bit of a mess.  I could probably erase all this from your mind, although it would be difficult, dangerous, time-consuming and worst of all, boring.  On the other hand, we really do only want these relics.  Perhaps we can come to some sort of compromise?"

"A compromise?  Your head upon a pole, knave!  That is a compromise I will accept!  Such arrogance, such blatant defiance of my gods-given authority to rule over lesser Beings..."

"Stop that," I said sharply.  The King didn't.  With a sigh I turned to face him and revealed my headwings.  He went rigid and his protestations ceased immediately.

"They say that he who can destroy a thing, controls it," I said.  "We can destroy your soul.  So... how about we stop this pointless bickering before things get really ugly?"  The King stopped.

"Good.  Now, is there anything which you would accept in exchange?  Base metals?  Artifacts?  Services which a pair of Creatures could perform for you?  And please don't say 'our heads' again or I shall get angry."

"Very well," said the King, his blustering ceased and for the first time he looked almost normal.  "Two months ago, my daughter, princess Admaria was taken prisoner by a foul worm."

"A worm?"  I asked, scratching my head and thinking of earthworms.  Then: "Oh my gods... you mean a dragon?!  Have you lost your mind?"

"I have lost my daughter," he growled.  "While her mother was no good, the princess stands to inherit the kingdom.  At least unless I can sire a son..."

"And you want us to rescue her?"

"I have sent many champions.  None have returned.  If you succeed, you may have whatever of these trinkets you desire," he said.

"And what guarantee do we have that you'll keep your word?"

"You dare to doubt the word of your King?!" he roared, puffing himself up again.

"I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'S'," I said warningly.  This was untrue since I wouldn't be able to see his soul unless he was dead, but it shut him up.

"Is your middle name 'Jonah' or something?"  I asked, my voice ringing with exasperation as we made our way through the forest.  "Are you so tired of life that you are trying to get us both killed?"

"As I've said before, you are under no obligation to come with me.  Perhaps we can reason with the dragon."

"It will kill us!  Me in particular!  Rumour has it that the Dragons created the 'Cubi race by accident and have been trying to un-create us ever since!"

"You forget, we still have the exquisite statuettes from his sock drawer.  When confronting a dragon, remember that your secret weapon is shiny things.  Much as I am loathe to part with them, if it will buy us more and finer examples, it is a price I am willing to consider."

"But this lunacy is unnecessary!  We have the keycard to the vault!  We could simply have smacked that fat bastard over the head and stolen the lot!"

"We could indeed," he said with a smile, "But it would have been considerably less than sporting.  This way is more of a challenge."

"I don't know why I'm doing this," I said.  "But I'll come.  If it really is a dragon, I may be able to take some interesting covert footage while I run for my life."

"Hush," he said and went very still.  I vanished.

"Bandits again?"  I whispered.

"More than likely," he whispered back.

We stood there, tensely waiting for the shadowed figure to step out from behind the trees.  Instead, a single person suddenly appeared right in front of us, causing the Angel to jump.

"Good day," he began.  The speaker was a large, well-muscled doberman.  He had a docked tail, and his ears were trimmed, although not sticking up in the freakish manner beloved of some.  He didn't have the look of a bandit, though.  His clothes were too fine for someone who lived the life of an outlaw, unless of course, he had just stolen them from his previous victim.

There was a sword at his side, but unlike the Angel, he showed no inclination to draw it.  That in itself was interesting... he might be a fellow adventurer, maybe even one of the champions the King had spoken of - or he could be a distraction for us while his comrades with crossbows shot us from the trees.  I began to look around nervously, and opened my mind to the presence of others.  And that in itself was interesting - the dog had a mind-shield.  But other than that, we seemed to be alone.

"Who are you?"  Zivan asked.  "What do you want?"

"You may call me 'Fairwater'.  I'm the royal executioner," he replied.  Zivan stiffened, as did I.  While the King was an evil bugger, I hadn't expected it to be quite like this.

"Where is your companion, by the way?" he asked.  "He can come out now."

"You must be joking," Zivan replied.

"You misunderstand," he said.  "His Majesty doesn't know I'm here.  I want to speak to you both, in private."

Eying the other canid warily, I reappeared.

"Well, if the King hasn't issued a death warrant for us, why are you here?" the Angel demanded.

The executioner turned to face me.  "I'm one of Us," he said, and a pair of dark, feathery wings appeared on his head for a moment.

"You were the one who decapitated that kid," the panther continued, his eyes narrowing.

"Indeed," I added disgustedly.  "Incubus or not, you should be ashamed of yourself."

The incubus sighed.  "That's part of the reason I'm here.  Look, I can't help it.  My clan feeds on pain and terror, and I personally have a big thing for humiliation as well.  Beheading people in public really gives me buzz, y'know.  It's the perfect job for someone with my affinities, and it wasn't for this I'd probably be murdering strangers in the forest.

"But I want you to know that just because I kill criminals for a living doesn't mean I actually enjoy doing it.  Actually, I find it distasteful and barbaric.  The trouble is, I'm very good at it."

"An executioner with a bleeding heart?  Now I've seen everything," Zivan muttered cynically.

"Look, I don't have a problem with carrying out the death penalty once in a while.  Traitors, murderers and maybe the odd rapist, their crimes are wicked and they should face their justice.  If killing them gives me a high, it kind of softens the blow - well, for me anyway.  But it's happening more and more.  I used to be able to convince myself that they deserved death, but the kid was something I couldn't ignore.
"I guess I was trying to rationalise it, but I can't fool myself any longer  The King is insane and he seems to be purging the kingdom of people he imagines might become a threat.  That's not what I agreed to do, and I have to stop it."

"So why don't you just quit?"  I asked.

"Because that won't solve the problem.  He'll just find someone else to do it.  If it's another 'Cubi, they might take more from the condemned than just their lives.  No, the problem has to be stopped at the source.  The King."

"An executioner turned traitor?" Zivan asked, raising an eyebrow.  "I take that back.  Now I've seen everything!"

"The King is on some kind of heinous power-trip," Fairwater pointed out.  "I've put more people to death in this month alone than I did in the last year.  Which is the bigger treason?  Putting him out of his misery, or standing idly by and facilitating his crimes?"

"All this makes me wonder how many people you've already beheaded who might otherwise have been sympathetic to your cause," I remarked.

"Don't remind me," the doberman said, blanching.

"We still don't know why you're telling us this," Zivan pointed out.

"I want your mission to succeed.  I want to be there when your return to the King," he said.  "If I know him, he's only sent you on this mission to get rid of you.  Even if you do succeed in bringing back his daughter, he'll probably say you were the ones who kidnapped her and order your deaths anyway."

"We probably won't return.  The dragon will eat us," I said.

"I know.  That's why I'm here.  I want to help you rescue the princess."

"Well, I can't stop you following us," Zivan said, "But it would help if you made yourself useful.  You could execute the dragon while you're at it."

And it will keep you from telling any interesting tales to the King, I added mentally.  On the other hand we'll have to watch our backs.  Someone who can happily order minors to be put to the sword is quite capable of sending an incubus to effect the secret murder of his enemies.  And after all, we did break into his castle and threaten to eat his soul.  I'd be a bit narked too if someone did that to me.

After two days of uneventful traveling, the three of us stood at the foot of the castle, eyeing the enormous door with trepidation.

"Well," I said, "Let's get this over with."

I pressed the doorbell and a faint two-tone chime rang somewhere in the depths of the castle.  A few minutes later someone answered the door.  It was the dragon.

Gabi

The dragon answered the door? I have a feeling this is going to get more interesting than most "kill-dragon-rescue-princess" quests.

I've already told you what phrases I liked the most. I think Fairwater is quite an original character too.

Nice chapter, JP. :)

Ryan_Galen

You mentioned the previous story in the other story thread and I didn't think much about it. Then Gabi's post boosted said story to the top of them forum so I though "Meh, why now?" One midnight oil burned once again I come away with a satisfying read. Now, of course, this one is even longer then the first one, so I won't be able to comment in excessive detail since this is my catchup commentary, but here goes...

1) You appear to have developed a fair consistence with the art of the punch line and cliff hangers. Some are betters then others of course, but so far some of my favorites are the 2,000,000 gold dollar fee, the most recent doorbell ending, and of course the "I seem to have misread the report."

2) Seeing characters pop up and develop is interesting. Particularly interesting is getting to know Snell, and then realizing that he was commented on in the Future story sometime during the ascension scene. What I'm worried about is why Izak and Petter haven't made any appearance in the Future story. Does leave one to wonder, and not necessarily a pleasant wonder either...

3) Ashley's development has been the most interesting to read so far. Reading this gives his character actual character in the future story. Going from being to demon was interesting, and while going from demon to cubi seemed a little too soon it just involved too much 'forum legend' factor for me to complain. Does almost make me think he's doomed to eventually go android in the Future story.

4) Just say no to drugs. Mind you, I laughed myself silly on the inside during those scenes, but it just needs to be said anyway.

5) Things we know are going to happen in this story because of the future story: we will see a marsupial adventurer die, Jakob will somehow develop hemophilia (given what I have read, I don't think he has it yet), and somehow Simeon is going to get spirited. And let's not forget the Tree party. Time is flying, and we only have a few scant more hundred years before this story become the Future story.

6) Defeating the Dark God, or to be exact stealing the power that was to be used to resurrect him, was an interesting scene. Certainly explains where Jakob got the power to level armies during his little wars. The idea of giving his son one third of it though... that much of a power boost at that young of an age... must be some interesting stories from Saia from the results of that. Of course, they've thankfully run dry of that particular power by now. Nothing lasts forever.

Tapewolf

Thanks again for the comments.

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on February 20, 2008, 12:11:56 AM
2) Seeing characters pop up and develop is interesting. Particularly interesting is getting to know Snell, and then realizing that he was commented on in the Future story sometime during the ascension scene. What I'm worried about is why Izak and Petter haven't made any appearance in the Future story. Does leave one to wonder, and not necessarily a pleasant wonder either...
Izak is still alive, probably a professor at SAIA by now.  I don't know about Petter, though.  Jakob also turns up in the 'Furrae Chronicles' RP which seems to have stalled again.  In that, Petter has been kidnapped by a dangerous group and I'm basically holding fire on how that ends (if it does).

Quote[Ashley] going from being to demon was interesting, and while going from demon to cubi seemed a little too soon
Yeah, that was a hack, basically.  The original plan was straight Being->'Cubi but that meant he had to live three times longer than a Being should.

Quoteit just involved too much 'forum legend' factor for me to complain. Does almost make me think he's doomed to eventually go android in the Future story.
I haven't planned ahead that far, to be honest.  Making him into an android would be a natural fit, since he's not a very powerful 'Cubi in the first place, but I'm trying to avoid overusing the conversion.

Quote4) Just say no to drugs. Mind you, I laughed myself silly on the inside during those scenes, but it just needs to be said anyway.
I think I may have pointed out at one stage that most of the characters who took drugs died later on...

Quote5) Things we know are going to happen in this story because of the future story: we will see a marsupial adventurer die, Jakob will somehow develop hemophilia (given what I have read, I don't think he has it yet)
The marsupial is a guest character belonging to Paladin Sheppard.  She features in the FCRP, so we're probably not going to see her die in-series.

QuoteSimeon is going to get spirited. And let's not forget the Tree party. Time is flying, and we only have a few scant more hundred years before this story become the Future story.
Simeon's already happened.  He was actually intended to be a one-off character, but someone (Keaton?) wanted to see more of him.  Truth be told the series is liable to end fairly soon - firstly I'm running out of ideas, and secondly I always intended to stop when it reached present-day, which it nearly has.

The 'Furrae Chronicles' story and RP by Gareeku follow on from this (although it began first - I contributed some material to it when Gareeku was busy, and it was so well-received I began to write this) and 'Future History' is about 150 years after that.

Quote6) Defeating the Dark God, or to be exact stealing the power that was to be used to resurrect him, was an interesting scene.  Of course, they've thankfully run dry of that particular power by now. Nothing lasts forever.
Quite.  In some ways I look back at the Dark God scene and cringe.  It did have its moments, but I think I shaved a bit too close to canon there.

Tapewolf

Chapter 38

The Dragon was only about the size of a small truck, but the very sight of them struck terror into the depths of my soul.

The Dragon was crouching, obviously having difficulty fitting into the relatively low ceiling of the hallway.  Even in my terror I briefly took the time to wonder why they had chosen somewhere so ill-fitting to be their lair, until I remembered that Dragons often assumed a more Being-like form except when they were showing off.

"Well, well, well," the Dragon said.  "Come to slay me, I suppose?"

"Um... uh... not really," I said.  "We've come for the princess.  Please may we have her?"

"No," the Dragon replied and shut the door.

Fairwater and Zivan were looking at me.  "Nice work," the Angel said.

"What?  We're still alive... we still have our souls..."

"...and the Dragon still has the princess," he retorted.

"Look, it was your idea to talk to them.  You know they're as powerful as the Fae, right?  And just as dangerous when angry?  You can't just kick them in the balls and ransack the place."

"Let me try," Fairwater said.

"NO!" I yelled, grabbing him.  The Doberman looked surprised for a moment and then grinned.

"I meant 'Let me try talking to them'.  In case you haven't noticed, this is a Dragon-she so kicking them in the nuts won't achieve much anyway."

"Just talking, right?"

"Promise."  He rang the bell.

"Yes?"  Asked the Dragon.

"Doesn't say much, does she?"  Zivan whispered, and received a frosty glance from the lizard.

"Let me guess.  You're just here to sell me some fine leather jackets, right?"

"Um, actually I was just wondering if we could maybe see the princess?"

"Get stuffed," the Dragon replied.  "What are you, some wandering band of perverts?"

"No!  I mean... to make sure she's all right, and stuff?"

The Dragon sighed.  "Take it from me, Princess Admaria is fine.  But she doesn't want to go home either, so don't even think about it."

She began to close the door again, but Fairwater, in what might be called a rash move, quickly stuck his boot in the crack.

"Persistent, aren't you?" she said.  "Look.  The princess doesn't want to be disturbed right now, so you ain't coming in.  Why don't you three just bugger off and leave me be?"

The Dragon couldn't see me where I was since the door was in the way as she was closing it.
I became invisible and shapeshifted into a feral rat, creeping through the gap.  Suddenly a hind foot scooped me up, passing me to one of the hands which gently but forcefully ejected me out of the door.

"Well, you're creative, I'll give you that," the Dragon said and threw a punch at the Doberman.  He jumped backwards with a yelp and his foot came out of the door, which quickly slammed shut.

"We have treasures!" Zivan yelled, banging on the door.  "Surely we can come to some kind of arrangement!"  I just about caught the reply from inside.  It wasn't very polite.

"What now?"  I asked, pulling out one of my Arriflex cameras.  If the Dragon wasn't going to ignore us entirely, I could probably get some good footage of her.

"We go down the chimney," Fairwater replied, with a strange look in his eyes.

"You what?"

"Jakob had the right idea in turning into a rat.  We climb on the roof, shapeshift into something small enough to fit down the chimney and go inside."

"In case you've forgotten, I'm an Angel," Zivan said.  "I can no more shapeshift than a Being can eat bricks."

"I have't forgotten," Fairwater said placatingly.  "Jakob and I will shapeshift.  Once inside, assuming the Dragon doesn't find us, we shall make our way to the front door and let you in."

"If we're not back in half an hour, run like hell," I added.

Fairwater's insane plan actually worked out quite well.  The only snag being that we got lost while trying to find the entrance.

"Maybe we could find the princess now and then let him in?"  Fairwater snickered.

"That would hardly be polite," I objected.  "I don't know what it is that motivates him in this lunatic quest, but it's a force to be reckoned with.  If he wants the glory, I say we let him have it.  A pissed-off Angel is something I could seriously do without right now."

The Angel jumped as the main door opened, recovering as he realised it was just us.  Swiftly, silently, he raced inside and we shut the door behind him as carefully as we could.

You do realise that the Dragon will be perfectly within her rights to kill us for trespassing now," I whispered as we crept through the hallway.  Zivan's less-than-friendly response was caught on film.

As we left the entrance, Fairwater and I remained hidden, while Zivan scouted ahead.  This seemed to me a sensible approach since the Dragon, if she found us, would probably not take so great an offence upon discovering an Angel had penetrated her defences as she would upon a pair of incubi.  Nonetheless, it was still a risk - the Dragon had seen through my invisibility at least once before.

There was a faint scratching sound ahead.  The three of us froze, glancing nervously around for signs of the beast.  Just as we began to think it was all-clear, the figure of a stoat detached itself from the wooden panelling of the hallway and lunged at us.

"The door!" he squealed, half-starved and delirious.  "We must go, we must... too dangerous here!  The worm... and..." he suddenly stopped, looking around in some sort of paranoid frenzy.

"Easy, easy," Zivan said, trying to comfort the crazed Being.  "The door's behind me.  But... What's wrong?"

"There are people!" the stoat babbled.  "People here!  You can't see them but they are here!  Their shadows come at night... and... then they come too!  People!  But not like me... wingies!  Soul-slayers!  In league with the Dragon!  Flashes of light, magic!  Rooms that only they can enter..."

"The wingies!" he screamed, and without another word he suddenly bolted.  The Angel wasn't fast enough to catch him.

"Quiet, you fool!  You'll bring the Dragon down on us!" he hissed furiously, but the Being paid him no heed.  With a great yelp of relief he ran to the door, opened it and fled.

"Wingies?  What the hell was he talking about?"  Fairwater asked, becoming visible again.

"He didn't seem to take offence at Zivan's wings," I mused.  "Whatever it was that spooked him, it's not just the sight of wings, period."  With anti-wing groups and the powerful anti-Creature sentiment that pervaded far too many towns and villages, that sort of intolerance was something that all three of us found much too common.  And given what some of us had done, it was no great surprise.

The Angel remained silent for a few minutes and seemed content to follow us without offering anything to the conversation.  At one point I glanced back at him and was slightly unsettled by the dreamy, abstracted look on his face.

"Hey, Zivan?" I asked eventually.  "This whole thing was your idea.  Any suggestions?"

"Oh," he said, suddenly snapping out of his reverie.  "Yes.  First, we must work out where the Dragon is.  If she stays in one place for long enough, we may be able to search the rest of the castle.  Ideally we'd need to set up a watch, though... but we don't really have enough people.  Unless either of you has a warp-aci or some other sort of familiar?"

Fairwater and I glanced at each other.

"Well, let's find out where the Dragon is first, and take it from there.  According to legend, there are two places that Dragons typically spend most of their leisure time - while they're in this plane, of course - and those are treasuries, and libraries."

"Rooms only they can enter," I murmured.  Zivan looked somewhat perturbed at this.

We tried the library first.  It was a very extensive one, and the mere sight of it sent Zivan into raptures of delight.  It was only when Fairwater and I both threatened to leave him in the castle to face the wrath of an angry Dragon alone that he came to his senses and reluctantly allowed himself to be led out of the rooms.

The Dragon wasn't in the cellar either.  We found the storerooms, and only a modest treasure trove, pathetic by Dragon standards.

"Maybe the rest of it is off-plane," I said, looking on unnerved as Zivan helped himself to a pair of bracers, a necklace and a few other items, not dissimilar to the statuettes we had taken from the King.

"The whole point is that we don't let the Dragon get us," he said, catching my eye.  "In any case, these must have come with the princess.  We have proof at least that she was here."

As it happened, the Dragon was in the bath, so we took the opportunity to search for the princess in earnest.  From what the Dragon had said there was the distinct possibility that she would kick up a fuss when we found her, but that was a bridge we'd have to cross when we got there.

"You don't suppose the princess is in there too?" Zivan asked, as we stood outside the bathroom.  I looked at him strangely.

"Uh, like someone bathing their pet, I mean?" he added hastily.

"Maybe she was right about the 'wandering perverts' comment," Fairwater smirked.  The jaguar's expression turned foul and he grabbed the executioner by the collar of his shirt.

"It's something we must try," I said.  Zivan turned suddenly, releasing the doberman who landed on his butt.

"I'll go this way - Fairwater, you go the other way.  We'll circle the bathroom as closely as we can.  See if you can sense anything."

"Oh, right," he said.  We met in the middle.

"Well?" Zivan demanded.

"There's only one mind in there that I can see," I said.  Fairwater nodded in agreement.  We left hastily as the Dragon broke into an aria.

An hour later we had combed every room in the castle save two.  The bathroom, obviously, and another room on the third floor.  It was fairly small, too small for the Dragon to enter - at least in full form - and it was unadorned save for two stained glass windows and a small brass door-knocker set in the wall.

We tried the knocker, but to no avail, although it definitely had some kind of enchantment upon it.

"This must be what the stoat was on about," I said.

"So the princess is through there?" Fairwater asked.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear," said a voice behind us.  Zivan almost dropped the goodies.  Fairwater and I turned, our wings fluffing out in panic.  The Dragon most likely had more magic in her little finger than we did in the whole of our clans combined.  Whatever his clan is, I thought.  I never asked... I guess I'll never know...

"But wait... what's this?" she asked, gesturing at the Arriflex.  "If I'd known you had come here to try and make a film, I'd have let you in in the first place."

Zivan's attitude had changed entirely.  The plundered items were at his feet, and his arms were folded. There was a somewhat shrewd expression upon his face.

"All right, Dragon, cut the cackle.  Where is the princess?"

"Haven't you guessed yet?" she asked, and began to flow.  The feather-winged figure of a Border collie stood where the Dragon had been.  Her arms were folded just like the Angel's.

"Princess Admaria, at your service."

llearch n'n'daCorna

*snerk*

I thought about it, but discarded the idea... more fool I.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryan_Galen

The dragon is the princess... who likes to copy the angel style of feathered wings while humaniod... and has a creature hating father. Well gee, I'd like to hear that one explained next chapter.

Tapewolf, I don't suppose that you and Graveyard Greg trade notes on how to make readers' brains explode, do you? In any case, I'm putting bets on the angel adventurer turning out to be a Cubi by the end of all this, just because.

Otherwise, very interesting. Kind of find the part with the stout confusing, but I'm sure it will be explained eventually. Biggest confusion, mind you, is that I don't know what I stout is aside from a description of beer.

[Edit=10:30 EST]...for something put through a spell checker that was a painful amount of typos on my part. [/Edit]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on March 24, 2008, 09:11:20 PM
The dragon is the princess... who likes to copy the angel style of feathered wings while humaniod... and has a creature hating father. Well gee, I'd like to hear that one explained next chapter.
Don't worry, that will certainly be covered.

QuoteIn any case, I'm putting bets on the angel adventurer turning out to be a Cubi by the end of all this, just because.
I almost broke that bit, but no, he really is an Angel.

QuoteOtherwise, very interesting. Kind of find the part with the stout confusing, but I'm sure it will be explained eventually. Biggest confusion, mind you, is that I don't know what I stout is aside from a description of beer.

I double-checked the text in a fit of paranoid frenzy, but it does read 'STOAT', i.e. a small animal of the weasel family (capitalised in case your browser has dodgy font rendering).

Pagan

And there it is, I've finally finished the chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn. Wonderful story, Tape.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

And now, after a long bout of writer's block, I present the conclusion of CJP.  Thanks for reading.

Chapter 39

"Very clever!"  Zivan said.

"This does make things kind of awkward," I pointed out.  "While the prospect of kidnapping the princess taking her back to the King was never one I was particularly happy with, a princess who is more powerful than the rest of us combined kind of renders it moot."

"Why do you want to take me back to that fat bastard anyway?" she asked.

"That's a nice way to describe your dear old Dad," Fairwater said.

"'Dear old Dad' had my mother beheaded," the princess pointed out.  "He'd been wanting to do that ever since I was born with wings, and he'd do the same to me in at the drop of a hat if I wasn't the sole heir to the throne."  Fairwater flinched.
"You know how much he hates Creatures," she added.  "So instead I'm going to wait until he dies and then go back to claim the kingdom," she grinned.  It was not a very nice grin.  "Well, maybe.  I might just pass on the kingdom and stay here."

"There's got to be something I'm missing," I said.  "Your mother must, by necessity have been a Dragon herself.  How in the world was she so powerless as to be executed by her husband?"

"A good point," Zivan agreed.  "And related to that, I want to know why you'd prefer to stay here.  With powers such as yours, dethroning the King should be child's play.  Don't you want to try to repair what he's done?  Don't you want to rule?"

"I'm already a ruler," she said.

"Of an empty castle?  Big whoop."

The princess smiled tolerantly, and clasped the door-knocker.  It glowed briefly, and then the wall opened like a door.  Inside was a lush, meadow with log cabins dotted around.  I had no idea where we were, but in contrast to the dull, overcast weather outside the castle, it was bright and sunny.  Behind us was a crude brick wall with nothing behind it... a textbook example of an intra-dimensional portal.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a faint shape, roughly the size of a person.  A cloaking spell, I realised immediately.  Moments later they became visible again.  It was an incubus.

"Milady," he said.  "You bring an Angel!  Is he the replacement?"  Zivan bristled and reached for his blade.

"No, no, no," the princess said.  "These are our guests.  For the time being, at least."

"Oh," he said, and his headwings drooped.

"So, you're the 'wingies' that stoat was talking about," I said.   Zivan looked pleased... it seemed that had been his guess.  Perhaps he hadn't voiced it aloud for fear of offending Fairwater and myself.

"You saw him?"

"Briefly.  He fled...  I might add that he wasn't in a very healthy condition.  What did you do to him?"

"Not much.  We held him captive and took it in turns to feed on his emotions."

"Charming," I said.

"Look, we have to eat something," he said.  "We don't get many people out here, just the people who were sent to slay the dragon.  Sometimes they escape, sometimes they die...  Though not if we can help it, mind you."

"Which clan are you?" I asked.

"Kansuri," he replied, exposing the clan-mark on the palm of his hand.

Fairwater's eyes took on a strange look, and then he removed one of his long, leather boots.  On his ankle was the same insignia.

I gazed out over the meadow.  "These 'Cubi?  They're your captives, Dragon?"

"Since when have you ever seen a Dragon with feathery wings?" she asked.  I glanced back... suddenly the collie had head-wings.

"Jeeze," I said.  "How the hell did you do the Dragon thing?  You don't usually see 'Cubi transform into something bigger, unless they are very powerful."

"I am very powerful," Admaria said.  "I have inherited the position and powers of my mother, by virtue of my blood and of the necklace she bequeathed to me in the event of her death.  It contains the soul of our Founder and a portion of his power is granted to any of our bloodline who wears it."

"Oh my gods... " said Fairwater.  He was trembling.  "I.. I've killed the leader of my own clan."

"Yes," she said.  "Treason."

"I didn't know... I swear to the gods I didn't know!  It was just another Creature to be put to death... I didn't question it..."

His protestations died away as the border collie raised a hand.

"I can find it in my heart to forgive you, Fairwater," she said, "But on one condition."

"Name it," he said, looking up at her like a puppy who had been caught eating a shoe.  The princess smiled at him coldly.  Fairwater wore an expression of horror for a moment, and then mastered himself, bowing his head with as much dignity as he could muster.

"My death?"  He asked.  "If that is what it takes to atone for my sins, then so it must be."

"No," the princess replied.  "Not your death.  As by treason you found damnation, so too can it be your saviour."

"As you command, milady," the Doberman said, kneeling before her.

"Do you people always talk in this archaic manner?"  I interrupted.

"Sorry," she said, "Force of habit."

"Would you mind running that by me again?" I asked.  "If your mother was a clan leader and powerful enough to pull off a convincing Dragon impression, how did she end up dead?"

"Indeed, she could have prevented it," Admaria agreed.  "It was her decision, in part.  Though the King never loved me, he did at least have a concealment charm made to hide my wings.  But alas, he became even more withdrawn into cruelty.  Our clan has always had a flair for self-sacrifice - indeed, that's how our Founder came to be stuck in a piece of jewellery.   My mother hoped that by giving up her own life the King's wrath would be sated and he would not seek to slay me as well.  Unfortunately she misjudged him.

"But enough of this," she decided.  "You must be off on your mission."

Not another bloody mission, I thought.

Few knew that we had attempted to ransack King Ordros' chamber, which made things a lot less complicated, politically speaking.  However, the King's decree that he would return all the relics of the Order of Saint Kelnar into our custody did raise a few eyebrows among his subjects.  Perhaps this announcement came too soon after the mass pardoning, the abolition of the official state religion, and the announcement that the current executioner would not be replaced following his abrupt disappearance.  I could taste the lovely awe in people's minds as wondered what it was that had brought about this miraculous change of heart.  It was almost as if he was a different person.

Princess Admaria returned soon afterwards, having managed to break free and slay the dragon herself.  She brought with her a number of prisoners whom the King granted leave to settle in the city.  Privately I wondered how things would play out.
Probably the Kingdom would have to be told eventually, unless the King 'abdicated' in favour of his former executioner.  Given time, all things are possible.

Carrying the King's entire haul of Saint Kelnar booty was made easier by the gryphon wagon he had graciously provided for the purpose.  Regrettably it also provided a tempting target for thieves, and several bands had to be persuaded to leave us be.  Unlike our inbound journey, I was able to restrain Zivan and the bandits were permitted to flee with their bodies and souls still attached.

"Shit." I said, staring at the ruins of the temple.  Apparently Charline had got there first.  Cautiously I probed with my mind to ensure that she was not still in it.

"Well," Zivan said, "if they don't want it, I'd be quite happy to-"

"No," I said.  "It goes back to the King..."  Then it suddenly clicked.  "That's it, isn't it?  Your insane determination to do all of this was all so you could acquire those wretched trinkets for yourself.  You never had any intention of returning them, did you?"

"Indeed not.  And it would be best for you if you did not try to force me."  The panther's hand was at his side, on the hilt of his blade.

"Now, now," I said, raising my hands slightly.  "Just tell me why it matters so much."

Zivan's hand tightened on his sword, but he didn't draw it.  Instead, his finger pressed a stud on the ornamentation.  There was a faint haze around the sword, around him.  When it was gone, I was staring back at the Angel.  He had changed species.  He was now a fox.

"Zivan?" I asked, my jaw dropping.  "You are a shapeshifter?"

"Kelnar, actually.  And no, it's just a concealment charm."

"You... you're Saint Kelnar?"

"Yes.  Most of what the priest said was true.  I was revered as a higher power for some time, and I did perform a number of acts which Beings would consider miraculous.  It was a convenient enough way to ensure my access to the library."

"Why did you leave?" I asked.  "It sounded like a pretty cushy number to me."

"I left because the priests were a bunch of dipshits," said Kelnar.  "They were hell-bent on commercialising my name, my deeds, everything about me.  Things came to a head when I found that they were going around gathering tithes and stuff in my name, even after I told them not to.  The priests couldn't keep their fingers out of other people's purses, so we had to part ways."

"And the treasure?"  I gestured back at the wagon, where the gryphon was starting to sulk.

"Family heirlooms.  When I left the temple, I went on a sabbatical.  It wasn't practical to bring them with me, though it was always my intention to return for them.  Of course, one thing led to another and it took me many decades before I could return.  And in the meantime there had been a change of leadership and everything had gone to pot."

"So, what are your plans now?"

"I'm not really sure," he admitted, gazing at the remains of the temple.  "My original plan was to come here, throw the priests out on their arses and take the temple for my home.  Now it's rubble."

"Well, you could go back," I said thoughtfully.  "Take the wagon back to King Fai- uh, Ordros, and settle down there.  They're looking for a new religion, so I hear."

"I'm through with being deified, but it's a good suggestion.  I understand they have a good library there..."

Shortly afterwards, I waved farewell as the wagon rode off into the dusk.  And with a flash of blackness, my thoughts turned back to the Academy.

"Well, that was a bust," I told Ashley.  "I do have some rather interesting film of a dragon's castle, but it turned out that the dragon was a succubus in disguise."

"Never mind," Ashley said.  "It might make good stock footage for the drama department.  By the way, Izak popped in with a new assignment.  Another wildlife job."

"Later," I said.  "Right now, I need to unwind.  I'll see him tomorrow."

For tomorrow brings a fresh day.

THE END

James StarRunner

Well, that explains Zivan really well actually. Always neat to see things not go the stereotypical way. I was kinda worried when it looked like it was another dragon kidnapping princess scenario. Things turned out great and entertaining though.

So now Jakob's adventures continue in Furrae Chronicles, eh?

Tapewolf

Quote from: James StarRunner on June 02, 2008, 05:02:41 PM
Well, that explains Zivan really well actually. Always neat to see things not go the stereotypical way. I was kinda worried when it looked like it was another dragon kidnapping princess scenario. Things turned out great and entertaining though.

I wasn't quite happy with this myself, and from the lack of comments, I guess most other people weren't either.  I feel there should have been a bit more in between the climax with the princess and the unmasking of Zivan, but it just wouldn't happen.

To be frank, I really was at a loss, plot-wise until I got the dragon-princess idea by chance over Christmas (from a collage made by my niece).

QuoteSo now Jakob's adventures continue in Furrae Chronicles, eh?
Yes.

James StarRunner

Well, it did seem really open ended. But then again, this isn't really the end.

If it must be changed though, there is always such things as 2nd editions. :3

Gabi

Wow, that was a strange and quick way to wrap everything up! And this ties in with Furrae Chronicles, doesn't it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on June 03, 2008, 12:08:59 PM
Wow, that was a strange and quick way to wrap everything up! And this ties in with Furrae Chronicles, doesn't it?
Yes, it does.  There's also a passing reference to it in FH chapter 34.

Ryan_Galen

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 02, 2008, 05:36:33 PM
I wasn't quite happy with this myself, and from the lack of comments, I guess most other people weren't either.  I feel there should have been a bit more in between the climax with the princess and the unmasking of Zivan, but it just wouldn't happen.

It has less to do with you and more to do with me entering a temporary posting slump. At least on my part.

I will say that the final chapter was... quick. In retrospect, knowing how it ended, I almost feel as if we could have done without the entire adventurer storyline. It was nice and interesting, but... it did little to develope Yak or Yak's story. Having a conclusion chapter with confrontation between Jakob and his brother after the resturant kidnapping would have been a better ending, but once again, only in retrospect.

In any case, it was only kind of commented on indirectly, but I take it that the executioner is now the king? Or at least posing as the king?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on June 03, 2008, 07:51:25 PM
In retrospect, knowing how it ended, I almost feel as if we could have done without the entire adventurer storyline. It was nice and interesting, but... it did little to develope Yak or Yak's story. Having a conclusion chapter with confrontation between Jakob and his brother after the resturant kidnapping would have been a better ending, but once again, only in retrospect.
Really, the whole series can be considered a collection of ad-hoc short stories, to be honest.  Little thought was actively given to his development - most of the core character concepts were worked out beforehand, or during the Furrae Chronicles RP.

QuoteIn any case, it was only kind of commented on indirectly, but I take it that the executioner is now the king? Or at least posing as the king?

Q&B Home Improvement was set within a retail park in the prosperous realm of Fairwater.  Creatures were welcome and it was safe for Jakob to travel in full incubus form.

The security guards eyed him suspiciously and not without fear, but they let him through unchallenged.

"Is it because you're a 'Cubi?" Joshua asked.

"No... the king is an incubus himself.  More likely it's because of him, I suspect," he replied, gesturing to a photo of Daryil.