[Art] The Panther's New Art Station (8/30 -- Page 3 and 4 of Liz and Laan Comic)

Started by Aisha deCabre, July 24, 2009, 01:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aisha deCabre

And now, to fill the gap, another funny one-shot Liz and Laan page, with Liz just hangin' out at the wall while Bairus tells a story, probably while Ramin is practicing in the last page and also while the family reunion's still going on. x3  Mind the blurriness in some places, I tried a little something new with the page in Photoshop, which didn't quite work out and that I couldn't fix after.  :rolleyes

Heh, I find it funny how I'm putting just as much focus on background characters as I am the main characters, sometimes...like the parents.  I just like to give a bit of life to those hangin' out in the scenes.  My comic never fulfills the trope "Adults Are Useless", anyway.  :U

And like it says in the description, no offense is intended to anyone. :B

Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

That expression in panel four is pure gold. The inking looks kinda... fuzzy.

Recently, I started playing card games with the rest of my family. Mom gets a whole new vocabulary when the chips are down... its surreal.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on June 12, 2010, 05:02:32 PM
That expression in panel four is pure gold. The inking looks kinda... fuzzy.

Recently, I started playing card games with the rest of my family. Mom gets a whole new vocabulary when the chips are down... its surreal.

Heheh; dialects fascinate me so.  You never know what people have picked up.

And yeah; I've been trying to find a way to make the lineart on Photoshop (I use the Pencil tool to trace, it's less of a hassle) less jagged. :B  Going pixel-by-pixel with the blur tool, perhaps?  I appreciate suggestions. ^^

At any rate, I have a new pic. :B It's not colored, I know, but I'm rather proud of it, especially considering how well it looks when scanned...s'right, I finally know how to use the scanner, and now my sketch previews won't look so freakin' wonky. xP

It's Aisha doing what she does best; scaring the bejeezus out of her bounty target before tearing the bejeezus out of them.  :3  To be colored fairly soon.

Also, Cariu readers, I had to take today to finish actually drawing the pages...BUT, tomorrow, y'all will get two pages this update instead of just one. :3  Since these are the final two pages of this little chapter, I thought it right to not let the ending linger. ^^

Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 14, 2010, 11:38:30 PM
And yeah; I've been trying to find a way to make the lineart on Photoshop (I use the Pencil tool to trace, it's less of a hassle) less jagged. :B  Going pixel-by-pixel with the blur tool, perhaps?  I appreciate suggestions. ^^
I scan and work on an image at a high resolution, then shrink it down for the final version. A lot of imperfections get minimized, and anti-aliases the lines nicely. Turnsky told me that trick.

I like to scan images in grayscale, and work on them with a hard edge airbrush. To get rid of any smudges or partially erased pencil lines, I use Levels in Photoshop (One quick Google: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/levels.htm ). I use grayscale scans and an airbrush because if the image is anti-aliased to begin with, they look that much better after being shrunk down. I don't need B/W linework to colour a pic, tho.

It's Aisha
doing what she does best; scaring the bejeezus out of her bounty target before tearing the bejeezus out of them.  :3  To be colored fairly soon.
That doesn't leave much bejeezus, does it?

Nice expression. The sword might look better if it weren't pointing directly at the camera, tho.

Also, Cariu readers, I had to take today to finish actually drawing the pages...BUT, tomorrow, y'all will get two pages this update instead of just one. :3
Woo! Double header!
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on June 15, 2010, 08:31:07 PM
I scan and work on an image at a high resolution, then shrink it down for the final version. A lot of imperfections get minimized, and anti-aliases the lines nicely. Turnsky told me that trick.

I like to scan images in grayscale, and work on them with a hard edge airbrush. To get rid of any smudges or partially erased pencil lines, I use Levels in Photoshop (One quick Google: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/levels.htm ). I use grayscale scans and an airbrush because if the image is anti-aliased to begin with, they look that much better after being shrunk down. I don't need B/W linework to colour a pic, tho.

It's Aisha
doing what she does best; scaring the bejeezus out of her bounty target before tearing the bejeezus out of them.  :3  To be colored fairly soon.
That doesn't leave much bejeezus, does it?

Nice expression. The sword might look better if it weren't pointing directly at the camera, tho.

Also, Cariu readers, I had to take today to finish actually drawing the pages...BUT, tomorrow, y'all will get two pages this update instead of just one. :3
Woo! Double header!

Heh, thanks!  I might just try that trick sometime. :3  I'm always up for experimenting.  Also she's holding a dagger; I had a bit of trouble with how she's holding it, I agree...heh, but, maybe it still works for a view from her victim.

At any rate. x3  As promised, pages 24 and 25, the final two pages of the first chapter of Cariu, are done.

Hope you all enjoy. ^^  Feel free to ask questions, I'm sure there are a few.  But one thing's for certain, I really enjoyed all the feedback and advice that I got.  I thank everyone on DeviantArt, and I thank everyone here as well.  If you liked it or hated it, whatever, please let me know. ^^
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 15, 2010, 10:57:06 PM
Hope you all enjoy. ^^  Feel free to ask questions, I'm sure there are a few.  But one thing's for certain, I really enjoyed all the feedback and advice that I got.  I thank everyone on DeviantArt, and I thank everyone here as well.  If you liked it or hated it, whatever, please let me know. ^^

I enjoyed it.

There were a lot of things hinted at but unsaid... actually, I think there were more things unsaid then said... but the comic really gave me the feeling that there was a much bigger world, and many more things happening, then we were shown. I love that.

Besides. Backstory is usually pretty boring anyway.

techmaster-glitch

While I haven't really been saying much, I have been enjoying the Cairu comic quite a bit. It was a nice little "mystery", and I loved the point of view from intelligent cetaceans. Great job! :)

I have no idea about what whitefox is saying about backstory being boring, though :aack

Aisha deCabre

I thank you guys very much for the feedback. ^^ It's good to know that people have enjoyed the comic, and it gives me a bit more incentive than just from my muse to continue it. :3

At any rate, I did a few more pictures, just to satisfy my want to do some art before getting ready for Anthrocon. x3

This is the badge that I'll be wearing, in fact. :B At least until perhaps I can commission a better one from some of the awesome artists out there. ^^

Speaking of Aisha, I colored the sketch above, but I may redo it due to the fact that an experiment I tried with using the 1-pixel pencil tool didn't work quite as well as I thought it would. :B  But at any rate, I got the pose down, that I'm happy about, and I was experimenting with a new set of colors for Aisha's cape.  While even blood-red is too bright for a stealth-oriented bounty hunter, it's still a trademark of hers, and someone suggested gray with red in it.

Anyone else have suggestions? ^^;  I'm hesitant to give her a black cape because I didn't want it to blend with her fur.  But then again, maybe that's the point...I may use the next suggestion when I re-do the pic.

Also, if anyone here is a fan of the Ginga anime series, Here's some post-Father's Day fanart with Gin and Weed. I'm currently proud of how it came out in my style.  I can never come close to the anime, but to be quite honest, the anime's art can be very lacking anyway. x3

And last--but most certainly not least--Some giftart I did for Gareeku, just to bring some light to his all-too-busy days.  I can only guess...and hope...that he liked it. ^^

I hope all of you like the art too.  More than likely, I'll see some of you at Anthrocon, and me and my art supplies would be happy to put a free sketch (or, maybe trades, hint-hint?) in some people's books.  :3

Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Gabi

I'm just posting to say I'm enjoying your comic too.

And you already have something from me on each of your 2 sketchbooks.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

bradypodidae

Just wanted to apologize for not commenting more as I, too, am still enjoying the comics. I really like the one-page "slice of life" comics. They add to the overall depth of the characters. I want to thank you again for sharing your talent!
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on June 26, 2010, 10:21:38 AM
Just wanted to apologize for not commenting more as I, too, am still enjoying the comics. I really like the one-page "slice of life" comics. They add to the overall depth of the characters. I want to thank you again for sharing your talent!

I'm always glad to hear so, thank you very much! ^^  Heh, I enjoy sharing it, but moreover I enjoy simply doing it. :3

Quote from: Gabi on June 26, 2010, 09:09:50 AM
I'm just posting to say I'm enjoying your comic too.

And you already have something from me on each of your 2 sketchbooks.

And I love 'em both. xP  It was awesome to meet you at the con!

And speaking of AC, I just wanted to update this thing with one little thing I colored.  I sketched it while I was there.  Inspired by the dances at Anthrocon, Aisha at a rave.  Heh, a rare look at a side where she just has fun.  Even if she still wears blood-red as her primary color. x3

Enjoy, and it's nice to be back. ^^
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

bradypodidae

o/~ "..and I dance, dance, dance..."  Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you and everyone had fun and returned safely home!

Avi by Tabi

USMC

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on July 01, 2010, 03:00:09 PM
o/~ "..and I dance, dance, dance..."

Hur-hur-hur. :B And there goes Aisha "accidentally" dance-dancing on one's foot...

Seriously though, many thanks! ^^  I had real fun with that picture, I'm sure Aisha didn't mind being a model either for once. x3

But now, new pics!  Or rather, old pics, new coloring style.  I found a few tutorials on DeviantArt while browsing a new fave artist that seemed worth a shot.

The first result is here, in the re-coloring of The Bounty Hunter that I promised I'd do.  This time also her cape is straight black; I've decided that I'm keeping the trick of having her cape change colors at will, and that red is just her traveling color. :B

I shall have to mix styles--as I like how I used to shade hair--but in the end I think it came out pretty well.  Like a Disney animation screenshot, but totally horrible amateur. x3

And the second instance of the coloring was used here, if anyone remembers the "Leap of Faith" wolf sketch from a while ago.

Heh, if refined, this method could prove to be quite neat.  :3

Anyway, enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Gabi

Nice shadows and lights! What does your new method consist of, if I may ask?

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Gabi on July 06, 2010, 01:52:34 PM
Nice shadows and lights! What does your new method consist of, if I may ask?

Thanks! ^^ And it probably won't deviate too much from my current style, actually; it consists of a few things I've always wanted to learn how to do, like not being lazy with the paintbrush tool, coloring the line-art itself, and less-than-messy shading.  Plus, I've been told a good trick is re-sizing up and back down again, but not -how-.

This is the tutorial I used that covers all that, pretty much.  Yeah, it's probably an over-used style, but I still thought it worth a try. x3  One of the things I still do different from that is use the pen tool and trace over it to create the line-art, instead of going over it by hand.  I'm too impatient for that.  :B
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on July 06, 2010, 02:04:00 PM
Plus, I've been told a good trick is re-sizing up and back down again, but not -how-.

Scan the image at a high resolution, then shrink it down (Edit>Image Size in Photoshop. Not to be confused with Canvas Size) when you're done. I use a scan resolution of 300dpi (dots per inch) when I scan artwork, and reduce it to a quarter of that size when it's finished.

It's 4AM... I will make comments on the arts when the stuff I type isn't so blurry. Apologies for not being able to do so now.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on July 07, 2010, 03:16:21 AM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on July 06, 2010, 02:04:00 PM
Plus, I've been told a good trick is re-sizing up and back down again, but not -how-.

Scan the image at a high resolution, then shrink it down (Edit>Image Size in Photoshop. Not to be confused with Canvas Size) when you're done. I use a scan resolution of 300dpi (dots per inch) when I scan artwork, and reduce it to a quarter of that size when it's finished.

It's 4AM... I will make comments on the arts when the stuff I type isn't so blurry. Apologies for not being able to do so now.

Heheh; well like I said, I had gathered as much from the tutorial, anyway. ^^;  Thanks though!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

WhiteFox

The shadows are improving... Not 100% there, but progress is notable. The characters have a better sense of shape and volume.

The shadows still look artificial, though. I think thats because the fade distance from light to shadow is always the same. I don't use an airbrush, so I'm not sure what to suggest there... maybe if you changed the hardness or size of the brush for different areas.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: WhiteFox on July 07, 2010, 09:25:50 PM
The shadows are improving... Not 100% there, but progress is notable. The characters have a better sense of shape and volume.

The shadows still look artificial, though. I think thats because the fade distance from light to shadow is always the same. I don't use an airbrush, so I'm not sure what to suggest there... maybe if you changed the hardness or size of the brush for different areas.

Yeah, I think so too...I love shading, but one of my biggest problems is laziness.  I tend to take the shadows to the largest sides of the figure rather than going in and also shading things like between the fingers. ^^;;  I shall have to learn to take my time with my works.

Anyway, I have just one new picture to post.  A request I did for Zedd. I'm glad he liked it, though I'm still sorry I can't fix the fact that the horn should be shorter. x3

Otherwise, I have an announcement: I'm on Fur Affinity now. :3 So anyone here who doesn't have a DA but has an FA, g'ahead and watch me.  I'm still putting up all my good works, but the gallery's still small enough.  I still need to put all my comics up. x3

Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

techmaster-glitch

Heh, I was just on FA last night as I only occasionaly am, and I saw a thumbnail of a pic on the front page... "Hey, I recognize that style..." *click* "Oh! It -is- Aisha! I didn't know she was on FA!" *watch* "Oh, she just got here yesterday xD"

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 09, 2010, 05:43:56 PM
Heh, I was just on FA last night as I only occasionaly am, and I saw a thumbnail of a pic on the front page... "Hey, I recognize that style..." *click* "Oh! It -is- Aisha! I didn't know she was on FA!" *watch* "Oh, she just got here yesterday xD"

Heheh xP I have a way of coming up unnoticed like that.  I'd claim to be a ninja if I had the actual training.  :B

Anyway, neeeew picture. :3  Aisha -- Mood in Red.  Warning, slightly NSFW.

I'd decided to make her the subject of an art experiment (which she doesn't like, so she came out looking pretty bored x3) Namely, using only one color for everything.  Using Photoshop I just used varying shades in the red palette.  From black-red of the fur to all the way to the pinks of her eyes. x3

I really like how it came out, myself.  I wanna do more color themes with other characters. xP
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

techmaster-glitch

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 13, 2010, 08:02:47 PM
Can't view the image :c

Oh whups, forgot about the censoring. xP

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/RisenDeCabre360/New%20Art/Aisha--MoodinRed.png

Tha Photobucket pic, for those who can't see it on DA or FA. :3

And to anyone who just jumps over to the last post, warning, slightly NSFW. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aisha deCabre

Mmkay, well...I hope the above art was liked.  Thought there'd be more to say about it, but oh well. x3  The photobucket link's there.  Now though, here's new stuff.  You guys oughta hopefully be able to see the links.

First, I made a cover page for the finished chapter of Cariu.  Fans of that one oughta enjoy it. x3

And on the Aisha side, #2 of 100 Themes: Love.  Three guesses as to whom it features. :3

Enjoy!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

techmaster-glitch

Well, for the first pic, I dunno if there was much anyone could say that wouldn't seem perverted...although yes, I do think you captured the "mood" quite well ;)

For the Cairu cover-page... tail-kamehameha? :P

And indeed, the 100 themes pic is quite touching :)

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 16, 2010, 03:43:06 PM
Well, for the first pic, I dunno if there was much anyone could say that wouldn't seem perverted...although yes, I do think you captured the "mood" quite well ;)

For the Cairu cover-page... tail-kamehameha? :P

And indeed, the 100 themes pic is quite touching :)

Heh, I expected so for the first picture, really. :B In hindsight I guess I congratulate people for remembering that I'm only semi-tolerant of such remarks. xP  Still, on the coloring style or how closely I did to a one-color-only thing...yeah.

And as for Cariu; very funny. :p For anyone who hasn't read the comic and sees this, that's a giant memory orb in the background there. x3

And finally, thanks much! ^^ Glad I caught what I was going for.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aisha deCabre

New art. xP  A bunch of ya may have already seen a couple of these, but I figured I'd post 'em anyway. x3

First, a completed commission for Paladin: The Hunt.  Starring a draggified Ephrael and Jade sneaking up on a rather clueless male dragon, who by request turned out to be Basilisk. x3  I still offer my apologies Bas, sometime I'll draw Dragon-Bas looking all cool to make up for it. :B  Still open for commissions as always.  Info at the moment is now also on the front page of my FA page.

Also, I have completed another of my 100 Themes: #50: Breaking The Rules.  Starring a younger Aisha and Jake. x3  This one came out rushed, I think, but I wanted to convey the emotion more than make the whole thing look good.

And finally, another color theme: Mood in Yellow, with Jake; Warning, slightly NSFW.  'Cause I liked how the first one came out and I wanted to do one with one of my male characters.  Mostly as I was inspired, and also to balance it out. :B

Heh, enjoy, more later.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

bradypodidae

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Gabi

I've just noted your latest picture. I think you've portrayed their emotions very well.

And I guessed at the first try. ;)