IRC Chatroom.

Started by RobbieThe1st, October 11, 2007, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

First off, to all newcomers to IRC:
If you do not have a IRC client, or do not know anything about IRC, I suggest you skip down to my simple tutorial on getting connected.
This chat-room has been around for quite a while now, and is run by Llearch.
Now, If you get on, and the room is dead, don't worry - just wait in the channel, leave it running as much as you can, and if you notice someone speaking, be friendly to them.
IRC takes very little bandwidth, so do not worry about that(The same amount of bandwidth required to load up this forum page would take a few hours of heavy IRC usage to meet).

I suggest strongly against going into the chatroom, saying "hi", waiting 30 seconds for a response and then leaving. Even in somewhat-live chats, you wont get a response that quickly sometimes.

Note that this is the unholy & unofficial channel for DMFA fans and Amber herself support it or have any control over it.

Tutorial:
First off, you need Firefox(or IE, but I don't recommend it), and Java.
If you do not have Java, when you load up the webpage I will link to, Firefox should automatically check for plugins, and then let you install Java easily.
Now, Click This Link.
Once the page loads up, simply type in your forum username(or derivative thereof; we want to know who you are easily).
Now, click connect, and the applet will load, and very quickly you will be in the chatroom.
To talk, simply type what you wish to say into the box at the bottom, and press enter to send.

Note:
I am posting this to hopefully get the channel active, as it has been dead and empty(only Llearch is there) every time I come in. I am currently in the chatroom, as of this post.
With your cooperation everyone, this will make the DMFA chatroom active again!
:boogie

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*cough*

Officially, the word is this:
Amber does not support, endorse, recommend, or, indeed, even acknowledge the existence of, the IRC channel. She has no connection to it other than she may know some of the people in it. She has no control over the content, and, in fact, neither does anyone else. Expecting anything else is just silly.

The IRC channel listed above (#dmfa on freenode.net) was set up for the wiki. Anyone else is welcome to turn up, but that's it's raison d'etre.

The other (long-running) IRC channel is running on my server, and isn't a DMFA channel. It just happens to have DMFA fans in it, and nobody else. *shrug* It's over on llearch.net, port 6667 for mirc, or http://llearch.net/cgiirc/ - that -doesn't- require java, just in case anyone was interested.

It tends to be fairly quiet, much of the time. Note that we're quite happy to see new faces there, if anyone wants to turn up and chat, but you might not get a response for a bit.

(Note that if Amber asks, we'll remove this thread entirely, and any trace of it will vanish. She's the boss, after all; it's her comic, it's her copyright, it's at least partially her forum.)

Edit:
Actually, thinking it over... *moves thread*

Edit 2:
Oh. #comicfrenzy - but it's not hard to find, it's the only channel on the server. And it's listed in the motd...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sienna Maiu - M T

Once upon a time, Sienna Maiu hopped on to her computer, finally having some time to herself, school courses winding down, not having been to the Frenzical Place in a while, she signed in, only to find her chat-home destroyed in a tumultuous battle, filled with fire and hail. However, this is mostly based on documentation, as the ruins were long gone. She cried.

She assumed of course that the place o' comic was simply no more, not wanting to bother a certain boxey-person with her inquiries, due to finding herself annoying and unwarrented. Also, she believed that said person probably did not want every computer problem in the universe thrown his way.

Months later her computer died, and that was the end of the chapter. She's now a drifter with no place to call her own, and a friendslist full of dead names.

Or something like that...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on October 12, 2007, 01:10:05 AM
She assumed of course that the place o' comic was simply no more, not wanting to bother a certain boxey-person with her inquiries, due to finding herself annoying and unwarrented. Also, she believed that said person probably did not want every computer problem in the universe thrown his way.

Said boxey person would have been happy to provide instructions at any point, as everyone else pretty much was asking him anyway.

Besides, I run the server. Surely that means I should be offering assistance of sorts?

Sienna Maiu - M T

Ah, but you have to understand that I was unaware of this change in moderation. Also, there was no way to find out such things, and simply just let things slide. Focusing in on... Well honestly I don't know, but it must have been good!

llearch n'n'daCorna

To be honest, so I was. I just run the server, and everyone else in management wandered off, so... ;-]

Arcalane

There was fire and hail? I don't recall that. :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sienna Maiu - M T

*cough* By "documentation" I may or may not have actually meant "speculation"/blatantly made-up.

Saist

Btw, entry into the underground chatroom will probably result in pouncing, nibbling, snuggling, waltzing, being subject to orbital cannon fire and orbital trebuchet launches, as well as listening to Kentucky Fried Whooping Crane jokes. Entrants are advised that resident Ferret types are very proinky, and have been known to proink without warning.

Just don't come in with intent to troll. We don't really care for people out to make trouble.

Arcalane

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on October 12, 2007, 03:18:44 PM
*cough* By "documentation" I may or may not have actually meant "speculation"/blatantly made-up.

Yeah, the old leadership hasn't fallen out with the box so much as they've been M.I.A. Not that we're complaining, though, not like we particularly need ops 24/7 as the remoteness of the server (unlike big networks like sorcery, freenode or quakenet) means only people who are looking for us will find us. >:3

Gabi

I can be found there rather often, though I'm usually busy.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Suwako

As can I, usually inactive tho
I'm a nicklamer so instead of Aiyno I'm Tajaka (which could be Aiyno's last name.. as I never decided what it would be..)

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 11, 2007, 05:24:33 AM
*cough*

Officially, the word is this:
Amber does not support, endorse, recommend, or, indeed, even acknowledge the existence of, the IRC channel. She has no connection to it other than she may know some of the people in it. She has no control over the content, and, in fact, neither does anyone else. Expecting anything else is just silly.

The IRC channel listed above (#dmfa on freenode.net) was set up for the wiki. Anyone else is welcome to turn up, but that's it's raison d'etre.

The other (long-running) IRC channel is running on my server, and isn't a DMFA channel. It just happens to have DMFA fans in it, and nobody else. *shrug* It's over on llearch.net, port 6667 for mirc, or http://llearch.net/cgiirc/ - that -doesn't- require java, just in case anyone was interested.

It tends to be fairly quiet, much of the time. Note that we're quite happy to see new faces there, if anyone wants to turn up and chat, but you might not get a response for a bit.

(Note that if Amber asks, we'll remove this thread entirely, and any trace of it will vanish. She's the boss, after all; it's her comic, it's her copyright, it's at least partially her forum.)

Edit:
Actually, thinking it over... *moves thread*

Edit 2:
Oh. #comicfrenzy - but it's not hard to find, it's the only channel on the server. And it's listed in the motd...

it'd be cool if amber turned up, however, it'd be nice to see Amber's brand of Insanity in action.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Amber has declined all invitations to date.

Can't say I blame her, really. ;-]

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 06:19:02 AM

Is there some psuedo-legal reason for this, or it's just too much trouble for her?

Turnsky

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 15, 2007, 09:17:24 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 06:19:02 AM

Is there some psuedo-legal reason for this, or it's just too much trouble for her?

i think it's more a "HISSSS! PEOPLE!" reason.  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on October 15, 2007, 09:47:10 AM

Oh, come on. We're not -that- bad. Mostly.

I mean, if you pour holy water on most of us, we don't hiss....

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 09:54:47 AM

Yeah. And we don't bite!

Much. :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Apart from Janus. And probably je.saist. And maybe Ink. And...

Ok, let's just leave it there. ;-]

Sienna Maiu - M T

aww man... You guys are making me remember how much fun it always was... I wanna go back :<

also, I think Miss Amber may have joined once, when she was with Wildy or something?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on October 15, 2007, 12:48:18 PM
aww man... You guys are making me remember how much fun it always was... I wanna go back :<

You're welcome to drop in. The web access makes it fairly easy to do so...

Sienna Maiu - M T

NET ACCESS?!?!
*reads blurb she was too lazy to earlier*

Oh yeah... I had just discovered the net version before something dramatic had happened...
Whether in real life or not I do not know.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. Even Bill can manage it. ;-]

TheGreyRonin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 05:35:05 PM

I thought the idea was to entice people to join?

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on October 15, 2007, 07:32:41 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 05:35:05 PM

I thought the idea was to entice people to join?

I don't know, did you?

TheGreyRonin

The implication is that mentioning Bill might scare new chatters off.

I've been in and out of the chat here and there. When it's not silent, it's GREAT!

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2007, 09:54:47 AM

true.

i wonder if we can have a cardboard cutout of amber with a timed recording that says "wiku wiku wiku" every now and again.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on October 16, 2007, 10:06:27 AM
i wonder if we can have a cardboard cutout of amber with a timed recording that says "wiku wiku wiku" every now and again.

Ok, now I have a -strong- temptation to script up a client that will automatically join, say "wiku wiku wiku" and quit, and set that to run on a random basis... ;-]

Fuyudenki

Llearch, if you don't do that, I will be sorely disappointed in you.