well, no one else is asking this question

Started by Hellcat, November 24, 2006, 02:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellcat

Okay, this is bugging me, why must almost everything about DMFA involve nutmeg? The banner, the fae queen and the name of a warp-aci,all nutmeg. Why?

Zedd

I can answer that in the same exscuse the feline of borlos fire or FKK to you all peoples answers to me MAGIC! :3

DigitalMan

Arcalane

*waves hand*

This is not the nutmeg you are looking for.

Jim Halisstrad

Another important question: will a map of the DMFA world come into existence in the future :B

Zedd

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on November 24, 2006, 10:49:58 AM
Another important question: will a map of the DMFA world come into existence in the future :B

Now thats a question!

Sid

Egh. What for? It's a webcomic that focuses on a small inn in the middle of nowhere. It's not an epic setting that thousands of players and dozens of novel-writers worldwide will have to act in.
Seriously, why would we need a map of Furrae? We know that a few regions (Twinks, Kingdom of H-Ann, at least one town/city) are within foot-travel distance, that's more than enough. Without a fixed map, the world can expand as Amber sees fit whenever she needs a new region. Why take away that freedom?

Oh, wait. Scratch that last question. I know why. Rabid fans want to have fixed setting rules for everything :rolleyes
:boogie

Jim Halisstrad

Another, less snarky, answer would be some of us just like maps.

*edit*

Flagrent computer error

Aridas

Quote from: Sid on November 24, 2006, 11:22:57 AM

Egh. What for? It's a webcomic that focuses on a small inn in the middle of nowhere. It's not an epic setting that thousands of players and dozens of novel-writers worldwide will have to act in.
Seriously, why would we need a map of Furrae? We know that a few regions (Twinks, Kingdom of H-Ann, at least one town/city) are within foot-travel distance, that's more than enough. Without a fixed map, the world can expand as Amber sees fit whenever she needs a new region. Why take away that freedom?

Oh, wait. Scratch that last question. I know why. Rabid fans want to have fixed setting rules for everything :rolleyes
come to think of it, we might need one for our game...

Amber Williams

I'm not making a map!  >:O

As for nutmeg...its an awsome word. :3

Stygian

Oooh? But will that not just lead to others starting to make speculations and fic-based sketches of maps and such...? I've seen less ludicrous things, and more.

As for nutmeg, it's an awesome word for a thing that tastes disgusting.

Aridas

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 24, 2006, 01:02:56 PM
I'm not making a map! >:O
then you leave us no choice... We're building your world for you! D:<

Gornemant

Quote from: ??? (aka Hellcat) on November 24, 2006, 02:44:19 AM
Okay, this is bugging me, why must almost everything about DMFA involve nutmeg? The banner, the fae queen and the name of a warp-aci,all nutmeg. Why?
I suppose I'm not understanding what you are trying to say when I lookup for the meaning of the word "nutmeg"... they're all trees?  :U

Sid

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on November 24, 2006, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 24, 2006, 01:02:56 PM
I'm not making a map! >:O
then you leave us no choice... We're building your world for you! D:<

I know/hope/guess you're mostly kidding with the phrasing there, but...

Yeah, uh, join the club.
Take a look at the various fanfics/fancomics/RPs/etc. Pretty much everybody already (implicitly) works with their own version of a map of (a part of) Furrae. It's not special at all, and I don't see Amber following any of our descriptions when it comes to locations (except maybe for some sort of uber-sepcial camo appearance). So you're not "building her world". That's the sort of phrase that most likely makes Amber go "*groan*".

I know I'm sounding like some mean idiot right now, but I don't want people (for example from The Game) to go out, saying that they have "The DMFA Map of Furrae". Stuff like that only confuses people who don't know it better (newbies on the boards, for example) because Amber will most likely not stick to any map "we" create.

DigitalMan

He was probably mostly kidding. However, fact of the matter is... they need a map. So, if Amber won't make a map, they'll have to make it themselves. They are literally building the world, after all. Unfortunately, requesting that they work solely with what they've got is much like giving an artist an incomplete description to work with.

AmigaDragon

With a map, readers could say "but why did they have to go to the Fae Springs, then to the Skull Rock, the Massive Oak, the Twinks' front gate then Aary's castle to get there, when they could have just cut across over here in 1/10th the time?"
Maps can constrain a story too much, or they can help give reasons for routes. That's up to the authors to decide.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Sid

Quote from: DigitalMan on November 24, 2006, 03:01:02 PM
He was probably mostly kidding. However, fact of the matter is... they need a map. So, if Amber won't make a map, they'll have to make it themselves. They are literally building the world, after all. Unfortunately, requesting that they work solely with what they've got is much like giving an artist an incomplete description to work with.

Correct. The "problem" is that DMFA focuses almost exclusively on a few locations while setting some arcs in mostly non-defined areas (Aary's house, for example). That comes with the nature of the stories Amber tells (fairly character- and location-centric, with few plots having a serious impact on the world as a whole), or at least told so far. There was/is just no need for explicit maps, so why should she constrain herself by now setting things into stone just for the sake of a few forum-goers?

If Amber now makes a map of the world and tomorrow gets a GREAT plot idea that requires a town or a mountain to be elsewhere... what should she do? Changing a map is not cool, but abandoning a plot because of the self-imposed restriction is also not the way to go.

So of course we have to invent the rest if we want something to happen elsewhere. I'm not telling anybody NOT to do so. That would just be silly. Heck, I had to do it myself. Just like Tapewolf, Gareeku and who-else-not have to make up 90% of their locations. That's to be expected, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind that that map will most likely be about as canon as the implicit ones used in the other fanworks: Not at all. xD

My main issue is to avoid confusion. So of course the gamers can make as many maps as they like. They just shouldn't make a misleading thread called "The DMFA Map in here" or something equally silly. ;)

Things are complicated enough when you just look at the confusion and discussion about things that ARE canon (most recent example being the background info regarding Creature/Creature crossbreeding, which already had been posted before, I think). No need to make matters worse by (accidentally) blurring the line between fan-info and canon-info.

Sheesh, now I'm sounding like a mod wannabe. Ewwwww. :P *stops* *hangs head in shame*

DigitalMan

*ponders* You make good points, but...

20 bucks says Amber just doesn't know where the places are herself :P *flees*

llearch n'n'daCorna

You -want- to get shanked, don't you, DM? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: DigitalMan on November 24, 2006, 03:01:02 PM
He was probably mostly kidding. However, fact of the matter is... they need a map. So, if Amber won't make a map, they'll have to make it themselves. They are literally building the world, after all.

This is one of the reasons that the plot is set on a far continent, to try and sandbox it and thereby avoid stepping on Amber's toes.  The only canon location currently planned is SAIA, which is reached by magical means anyway.  I can't now remember the relative time period (or even if we agreed) but if Lost Lake itself is featured, it will be reached by magic or possibly by bus (depending on the time period).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

DigitalMan

Ahh, well that changes things. A wise work-around.

Though now I'd like to see a globe of Furrae :P

Alan Garou

Quote from: DigitalMan on November 24, 2006, 07:33:51 PM
Ahh, well that changes things. A wise work-around.

Though now I'd like to see a globe of Furrae :P
My guess is that it's a very small planet made of very dense material. Thus it will have low surface area, yet still have the same amount of gravity as Earth. But that's just wild speculation. :erk Please don't hurt me, Amber.

Roureem Egas

Furrae's the name of the world in Furcadia. Amber didn't think it up herself, but I still doubt she'll make anything like a map.