2014/02/14 - [DMFA #1464] - Talking head-to-head

Started by Tapewolf, February 14, 2014, 08:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

In a way that's an encouraging sign - if she doesn't care about the aftermath, she has no burning need to dispose of Sherri.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

Mehlata does have a bit of a point, but I don't really think she's taking into account the political consequences. Kria is actually on their side and if she dies due to one of their citizens, that means that the Undead have lost one of their biggest allies. There's also the fact that Zivn'th will suddenly lose a powerful leader and if there's one thing people don't like, it's the chaos surrounding a power change. Also, if she's really an ends justify the means sort of character, that means she's following her own kind of evil.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

joshofspam

I'm somewhat expecting Kria either being lost in a closet on the other side of the building or coming in right at this moment with a lightshade on her head the big hunk of undead under one arm and trying to figure out her next action.

Kria was taking shooters from the look of it, she can't be too far off from trying to get there if she was being good on her word.

Sad sheep is sad. :mowsad
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Eboreg on February 14, 2014, 09:33:11 AM
Mehlata does have a bit of a point, but I don't really think she's taking into account the political consequences. Kria is actually on their side and if she dies due to one of their citizens, that means that the Undead have lost one of their biggest allies. There's also the fact that Zivn'th will suddenly lose a powerful leader and if there's one thing people don't like, it's the chaos surrounding a power change. Also, if she's really an ends justify the means sort of character, that means she's following her own kind of evil.
^ This.

Also, Aliph really needs to get a girlfriend. :P

katasev

I love the little Aliph/Regina sides - it's like the new version of Neni's Noodle Incidents. And aawwww, we can really see just how short poor Sherri's hair got whacked...  :< Who's the REAL monster here, Mehlata? Maybe she can get extensions...

As a side note, I imagine that Undead CAN see in the dark, but it's kind of like using a smallish cell phone's screen as a flashlight - you can see SOME things but not that great. So I'm still voting for Kria to stealth up behind Mehlata and give her a haircut to go along with our poor lambchop's. I also still think she was totally acting re: being drunk and this is all totally just a ploy. WE'LL FIND OUT NEXT... uh... NEXT next Wednesday, I guess!  'A'

(But then again, a whole week of Matilda = :mikey so I'm happy.)

Tapewolf

Never mind chopping up Sherri, Kria seems likely to lose it over the broken shopping...

ArchTeryx

In a larger sense, the whole arc has been a neat new twist on the current run of zombiemania.

Here, the zombies are productive citizens, most of them are actually quite friendly, and nobody wants to eat anyone's brains.  And they have factions that plot AGAINST each other.

Mehlata thinks she's striking a brave blow against Dark Pegasus by killing Kria.  Unfortunately, he would very unlikely to be bothered by his sister getting whacked.  He'd just use it as an excuse to go blast s'more undead.

So - ignorant, stupid AND fanatic all in one.  But even she's quite unlike much of any other zombie in fiction, so go, Amber. ^.^

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 14, 2014, 05:23:08 PM
In a larger sense, the whole arc has been a neat new twist on the current run of zombiemania.

Here, the zombies are productive citizens, most of them are actually quite friendly, and nobody wants to eat anyone's brains.  And they have factions that plot AGAINST each other.

Mehlata thinks she's striking a brave blow against Dark Pegasus by killing Kria.  Unfortunately, he would very unlikely to be bothered by his sister getting whacked.  He'd just use it as an excuse to go blast s'more undead.

So - ignorant, stupid AND fanatic all in one.  But even she's quite unlike much of any other zombie in fiction, so go, Amber. ^.^

I agree with most of that, though Dark Pegasus is already working his way towards the extermination of thee undead.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 14, 2014, 10:14:31 PM
I agree with most of that, though Dark Pegasus is already working his way towards the extermination of the undead.

Yep, but he's not busy attacking THAT island right at the moment.  Instead, Kria shows up as a goodwill ambassador and one of the undead STILL gets the idea in their sawdust-filled head to send a dandy message to Dark Pegasus: "HELLO!  We're here and attacking demons, starting with your sister!  Come over, the more demons, the merrier!"

Kria may be a jerk about a lot of things, but at least she doesn't hate the zombies.  She treats them more decently then most any other Being, let alone Creature, would!  Mehlata may have sort-of the right idea, but her aim's so far off she wouldn't even hit in the same county as the broad side of the barn.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 14, 2014, 10:58:40 PM
Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 14, 2014, 10:14:31 PM
I agree with most of that, though Dark Pegasus is already working his way towards the extermination of the undead.

Yep, but he's not busy attacking THAT island right at the moment.  Instead, Kria shows up as a goodwill ambassador and one of the undead STILL gets the idea in their sawdust-filled head to send a dandy message to Dark Pegasus: "HELLO!  We're here and attacking demons, starting with your sister!  Come over, the more demons, the merrier!"

Kria may be a jerk about a lot of things, but at least she doesn't hate the zombies.  She treats them more decently then most any other Being, let alone Creature, would!  Mehlata may have sort-of the right idea, but her aim's so far off she wouldn't even hit in the same county as the broad side of the barn.

Not only that, if Mehlata were to attack Dark Pegasus, I suspect Kria would be standing on the sidelines with popcorn, cheering her on.

Way to pick the wrong target, y'know?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lorien077

Am I having a stupid or does Mehlata's logic regarding killing Sherri not make a whole lot of sense at this point?  I don't think Sherri can stop her now that she's been disassembled and if Mehlata knows she's going to be caught it just sort of seems meaningless to kill a fellow undead.  Unless her disdain for the Soulstealers runs deep enough that she views Sherri as a traitor? 

Gah I'm excited for Matilda week but this cliff-hanger is gonna kill meh! D:

(However the blow is softened by hilarious Aliph and Regina asides.)
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Lorien077 on February 14, 2014, 11:53:39 PM
Am I having a stupid or does Mehlata's logic regarding killing Sherri not make a whole lot of sense at this point?  I don't think Sherri can stop her now that she's been disassembled and if Mehlata knows she's going to be caught it just sort of seems meaningless to kill a fellow undead.  Unless her disdain for the Soulstealers runs deep enough that she views Sherri as a traitor?  
If she really wanted to kill Sherri, she would have cleaved her head in two, not off the shoulders. The undeads' weak point is their brain, remember? No, I suspect this is all part of the plan and we'll just have to wait and see.

Also... This is my hundredth post! Woot! :boogie

Lorien077

Quote from: Raxuno on February 15, 2014, 12:25:24 AM
If she really wanted to kill Sherri, she would have cleaved her head in two, not off the shoulders. The undeads' weak point is their brain, remember? No, I suspect this is all part of the plan and we'll just have to wait and see.

Also... This is my hundredth post! Woot! :boogie

I was initially thrown off by the 'I'm murdering you' comment in the previous strip but you're right; this is obviously all a ploy to get Sherri to scream and draw Kria in.  Wonder if Mehlata has a trap in the room.  (But it explains the crazy ranting, its trying to get more response from Sherri and to wait for Kria to show up?)
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

Tzenker

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 14, 2014, 05:23:08 PMMehlata thinks she's striking a brave blow against Dark Pegasus by killing Kria.  Unfortunately, he would very unlikely to be bothered by his sister getting whacked.  He'd just use it as an excuse to go blast s'more undead.

I read it as not merely striking a blow against Dark Pegasus, but rather the entire Soulstealer clan. Dark Pegasus may be the worst of the current bunch, and certainly the only one dedicated to specifically wiping out the undead, but the family in general does seem highly dangerous. Even Regina has done a bit of mayhem and slaughter, while Lorenda seems to be the lone exception. Not that Kria would mind her daughter pulling herself together and going for a bit of the old ultra violence: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_776.php

So they're a pretty bad bunch, even though they make up my favorite characters. I guess I can see Mehlata reason that reducing their number is worth any sacrifice.

It's still not a very good idea.

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Tzenker on February 15, 2014, 10:19:08 AM
I read it as not merely striking a blow against Dark Pegasus, but rather the entire Soulstealer clan. Dark Pegasus may be the worst of the current bunch, and certainly the only one dedicated to specifically wiping out the undead, but the family in general does seem highly dangerous. Even Regina has done a bit of mayhem and slaughter, while Lorenda seems to be the lone exception. Not that Kria would mind her daughter pulling herself together and going for a bit of the old ultra violence: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_776.php

So they're a pretty bad bunch, even though they make up my favorite characters. I guess I can see Mehlata reason that reducing their number is worth any sacrifice.

It's still not a very good idea.

Assuming that Mehlata is even CAPABLE of killing a demon, something that at this point is highly suspect?  It still amounts to aiming a nuclear weapon at a town and MISSING.

Yeah, Demons are Not Nice People, but if you don't even know who your friends (and foes) are, you don't have much of anything going for you.  Kria's definitely in the "friend" category - she's not wreaking mayhem, she's just letting her mane down and hanging loose, which for a demon is positively angelic behaviour.  And Mehlata STILL wants to try and kill her.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 15, 2014, 10:45:53 AM
Assuming that Mehlata is even CAPABLE of killing a demon, something that at this point is highly suspect?  It still amounts to aiming a nuclear weapon at a town and MISSING.

Had that been Kria entering the room instead of Sherri, I think we'd be down a main character.  Unless I'm much mistaken, Demons are soft and squishy like most of the other races, except when they're in battle mode.  As I understand it they can harden their skin like that reflexively or under conscious control, but if you do what Mehlata did and strike a killing blow before they're aware of you they'll go down just like anyone else.

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 15, 2014, 11:01:02 AM
Had that been Kria entering the room instead of Sherri, I think we'd be down a main character.  Unless I'm much mistaken, Demons are soft and squishy like most of the other races, except when they're in battle mode.  As I understand it they can harden their skin like that reflexively or under conscious control, but if you do what Mehlata did and strike a killing blow before they're aware of you they'll go down just like anyone else.

Well, the old adage is, "If you're going to kill the king, you better not miss."  And she just missed.

Granted, she may be able to kill a hung-over, reflex-damped Kria with a high-initiative attack, but that assumes that Kria hasn't long ago realized the problem and is just playing with her at this stage.  Guess we'll see!

Wdot

I'm really hoping that Kria does know what is going on. She wasn't prepared for the utter boring Island: "Mass media lied to her..." Mehlata has really provided some much needed entertainment for Kria, truth be told--- that is if she knows Mehlata is responsible for the attacks. I really hope Sheri survives as well, because she provides a nice balance for Kria.

I think Mink needs to write fan fiction with these two: They "fight crime and solve mysteries" Kria is a retired 'hitman' turned through circumstance  into a force for justice, she plays the role of  'bad' cop. Sheri is a bureaucratic paper pusher who is assigned to provide her with logic and reason and plays   'good' cop while restraining  Kria just enough to solve the crime and mystery  without destroying the whole city, much to Kria's disappointment. 

Their first big case, "The Cubi Killings" , where they, despite the bumbling adventurers hindering their investigation at every turn, find the sinister truth behind "What's really going on" and what exactly they can do about it before time runs out... Hey, I'd read it.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt

VAE

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 14, 2014, 05:23:08 PM

Well, for better or worse, Kria was the one who seems to have ressurected him a couple times - hence if you want to get rid of Aliph, getting rid of Kria makes sense

Also, am I reading dumbly, or does this suggest that Furrae has a 17-day week?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

ArchTeryx

Quote from: VAE on February 16, 2014, 02:45:54 PM
Well, for better or worse, Kria was the one who seems to have ressurected him a couple times - hence if you want to get rid of Aliph, getting rid of Kria makes sense.

I completely forgot about that little aspect of it.  Yeah, that would give certain of the undead reason to hate Kria, but I'm sticking to my story of "wrong target!"  You kill Dark Pegasus first, then whack Kria shortly thereafter.  Problem solved!  But that would take a lot more coordination and a much wider-ranging conspiracy then just "whack whatever happens to be in front of you," which is Mehlata's general approach to things.  Cute little undead Gryphon B gets in the way?  No problem, they were dead anyway!  Sheepkeeper opens the door, and gets decapitated?  No problem!  Just grab her head and start up the monologue, giving your target plenty of time to wake up and get the first initiative roll!

Ooops.

Hariman

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 17, 2014, 12:42:12 AM
Quote from: VAE on February 16, 2014, 02:45:54 PM
Well, for better or worse, Kria was the one who seems to have ressurected him a couple times - hence if you want to get rid of Aliph, getting rid of Kria makes sense.

I completely forgot about that little aspect of it.  Yeah, that would give certain of the undead reason to hate Kria, but I'm sticking to my story of "wrong target!"  You kill Dark Pegasus first, then whack Kria shortly thereafter.  Problem solved!  But that would take a lot more coordination and a much wider-ranging conspiracy then just "whack whatever happens to be in front of you," which is Mehlata's general approach to things.  Cute little undead Gryphon B gets in the way?  No problem, they were dead anyway!  Sheepkeeper opens the door, and gets decapitated?  No problem!  Just grab her head and start up the monologue, giving your target plenty of time to wake up and get the first initiative roll!

Ooops.

Kria's sole condition for helping Dark Pegasus/Aliph is "Over his dead body.".

If someone killed Aliph first, the Kria would likely want revenge, or to at least recover the body.

So... an angry Kria NOT something anyone should want to face. Also, Mehlata's bent seems to be directly against Kria, for some unspecified reason.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

LionHeart

I think Mehlata's main reason is "she's within reach".
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Hariman on February 17, 2014, 06:53:10 PM
Kria's sole condition for helping Dark Pegasus/Aliph is "Over his dead body.".

Kria herself proposed an easy solution to this problem. No body, no problem.

So... if she has a body to regen, she might be pissed. If not... I think she'd mourn, but I don't think she'd be all that angry, after all.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ArchTeryx

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 17, 2014, 10:53:34 PM
Kria herself proposed an easy solution to this problem. No body, no problem.

So... if she has a body to regen, she might be pissed. If not... I think she'd mourn, but I don't think she'd be all that angry, after all.
Well, at least she's trying to something at least mildly constructive with her life, governing Zinvth and acting as a liason to the undead and all.

Dark Pegasus is just a more genteel, extremely overpowered version of Wreck-It Ralph.  "I'M GONNA WRECK IT!" seems to be his mantra, and generally what demons are know for when they get involved with mortals at all.  He may be family, but even Kria thinks he's a jerk, since she's trying to make something of her life - in between recreational rampages - and all he does is sit, brood, wreck stuff and tangle with Dan.  He's just as bad as Hizell and the Dragon Wrecking Crew.

She'll revive his body out of familial obligation, but generally seems to think he deserves to get pasted in the first place.

Maybe if Kria's smart, she's not going to simply vaporize Mehlata.  She'll simply teleport her to Dark Pegasus' stronghold, point her in his general direction, and go, "Have fun storming the castle!  Wave hi to my bother Aliph if you see him!"