how advanced is the human race in PF

Started by meltingface101, January 07, 2014, 09:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meltingface101

How  advanced  is  the  human  race  in  PF .

Also  I  don't  get  why  cubi  fail  to  exploit  pandimensional  portals  for  all  they  are  worth , such  things  are  rare  in  the  DMFA  setting  and  they  get  one  leading  to  a  world  they  could  easily  plunder  with  absolute  impunity . Even  if  it  is  magically  dead  they've  managed  to  establish  bases  on  places  as  sterile  as  the  moon , and  have  had  dealings  with  such  zones  on  their  own  world .
All  things  float  down  here

Tapewolf

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 07, 2014, 09:35:42 PM
How  advanced  is  the  human  race  in  PF .

Depends which bit you're talking about.  Jakob and Page's technology-stealing mission was supposedly in our own world's past.

However, the panthers and aircraft and the AI technology in general were a crossover from a storyline I was developing about 20 years ago, in some kind of alternate timeline where we had developed fully-sentient AI by now and fitted it in aircraft.  In that scenario, most of the developed world was in a better shape owing to AI guidance, so I'd like to say that that setting is more advanced than us, both technically and societally, but whichever nation or state Jakob got his aircraft from, it clearly wasn't a utopia because they were glad to leave.

In some ways I regret that crossover now and I did consider removing it when I adapted the original story into PF, but by that point it had become intrinsic to the plotline.

To be completely honest Jakob's interdimensional excursions were really intended as a plot device to extend the Furrae setting by bringing in Earth technology, and while it was fun to [write about people from Earth coming across furres, it was more done for fun] rather than a core part of the story.

QuoteAlso  I  don't  get  why  cubi  fail  to  exploit  pandimensional  portals  for  all  they  are  worth , such  things  are  rare  in  the  DMFA  setting  and  they  get  one  leading  to  a  world  they  could  easily  plunder  with  absolute  impunity . Even  if  it  is  magically  dead  they've  managed  to  establish  bases  on  places  as  sterile  as  the  moon , and  have  had  dealings  with  such  zones  on  their  own  world .

Depends how aggressive they are, and that depends on the clan and the individual.  Notwithstanding his expansionism in Ha'Khun (and FWIW a lot of that was provoked by the neighbouring territories) Jakob doesn't normally do that.  Taun might, given the chance, but at the moment she is preoccupied with her race surviving Hizell's machinations as I understand it.

The vibe I am getting from what Amber has said over the years is that if you're a 'Cubi or one of the other races that the Dragons seem to have a problem with, it's best to keep your head down to avoid it getting squashed.  Going out and conquering parts of the multiverse seems to be a sure way of getting noticed in the wrong kind of way, so it's likely that if anyone does make widespread use of dimensional portals, they probably want to do so furtively to avoid getting noticed.
To be honest, had I known this at the time CJP was written, I would probably not have written the Johan Cross part the way I did, but I think it still works... it seems plausible to assume that had he not quit as ruler the Dragons would have decided he was getting uppity and taken steps.

Also, as Amber pointed out before, there are fairly large holes in our understanding of how the multiverse works, so personally I would be reluctant to write a story which did that kind of thing until some of the gaps are filled.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

meltingface101

Dragons and  Fae are  only  in  Furrae  because  nothing  they  do  there  will  have  any  consequence  to  the  universe  as  whole . Also  the  portals  your  character  created  only  lead  to  human  run  worlds where  there  is  no  evidence  that  anyone  is  enforcing  status  quo . Cubi  however  are  under  no  delusion  of  cosmological  significance  and  often  tend  to  exploit  and  manipulate  others  as  part  their  life style .

To  say  they  would  not   jump  at such  an easily  exploited  is a  bit  of  a  stretch , considering  they  impulsively  do  stuff  along  these  lines . The  fact  that there  are  no  races  that  could  possibly  compete  against  them  would  be  motivation  in  and  of  itself .

If  there  were  Dragons watching  over  the  humans , Cubi  have  a  skillset  designed  for  infiltration . When  the  Dragons  finally   do  enact  a  cull  
the  humans  will  presume  they're  the  target .

Even  if  humans  were  to  find  out  that  creatures  from  another  world  were  amoungst  them , they  would  come  up  with  a  simpler  realistic  explanation  like  mental  disorders , or  even  ARG  campaigns .

Heck  they  could  even  go  as  far  as  to  assassinate  politician , take  their  place  and  run  the  moment  things  get  sour . They  can  just  run  off  to  a  place  we  have  no  access  to . Or  openly  just place  their  clan  in  a  position  of  power by  brute  force , the  sheer  difference  in  levels  of  power  and  number  of  unknowns might  be  enough  to  discourage  any  intelligent  groups  from  direct  attacks . Also  they  tend  to  face  problems  like  these  and  more  even  when  not  in  a  position  of  power in  Furrae . They  could  even  do  something  as  benign  as  offer  to  saturate  a  field  with  magic  and  increase  crop  yields  .  

Also  Furrae  itself  lies  as  far  away  from  utopia  as  one  can  get , everyone  is  part  of  an  ever  shifting  food  chain  with  the  bulk  of  the  population  at  the  bottom ,  widespread  feudalism , and  entities  that  regularly  go  around  terrorizing  settlements  to  weak  to  defend  themselves .   

Tapewolf

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 08, 2014, 05:03:28 PM
Dragons and  Fae are  only  in  Furrae  because  nothing  they  do  there  will  have  any  consequence  to  the  universe  as  whole .

If we look at this: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_842.php
They appear to been taken into one of Amber's other worlds, the one with Anthicus and the others.  So I'm not sure they exactly have complete non-intervention policy in the other worlds.

QuoteAlso  the  portals  your  character  created  only  lead  to  human  run  worlds where  there  is  no  evidence  that  anyone  is  enforcing  status  quo

Actually, you could probably make an interesting story by tying that up with David Icke's belief that the world is secretly run by disguised lizard overlords.

QuoteTo  say  they  would  not   jump  at such  an easily  exploited  is a  bit  of  a  stretch , considering  they  impulsively  do  stuff  along  these  lines . The  fact  that there  are  no  races  that  could  possibly  compete  against  them  would  be  motivation  in  and  of  itself .

That may be, but the fact is it's out of scope for my stories.

If Amber ever gets around to doing Apartment Complexity or other stories set elsewhere in the multiverse, we might get more of a handle on this, but until such time as that happens, it's not a subject I am likely to touch upon in any future writings.

See, one of the design goals with Project Future was to write it so that it could plausibly fit within the DMFA canon.  Since I didn't know what was likely to happen after DMFA I did a lot of defensive and/or preventative work.  One example of this is the fact that the original arc was set in Furrae's Arctic - that was originally done to isolate them and keep them away from any population centres, just in case there had been some mass cull of 'Cubi as reprisals for Destania's plans.

For this reason there are subjects I was deliberately ambiguous about or did not use extensively to try and prevent some later revelation in DMFA from destroying it completely.  One of those tricky areas is whether interdimensional travel is still feasible at all after Destania does what she is going to do, because one very effective means of preventing more Dragons entering the realm would be to stop dimensional travel in and out.

If so, it can be fudged because we don't know when Jakob got the AI technology - he could probably have kept his prizes in stasis until he was ready to use them.  But it means that having a story where they actively use the portals in the post-DMFA scenario runs risks which I as a writer don't particularly want to take.

meltingface101

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 08, 2014, 09:01:09 PM
Quote from: meltingface101 on January 08, 2014, 05:03:28 PM
Dragons and  Fae are  only  in  Furrae  because  nothing  they  do  there  will  have  any  consequence  to  the  universe  as  whole .

If we look at this: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_842.php
They appear to been taken into one of Amber's other worlds, the one with Anthicus and the others.  So I'm not sure they exactly have complete non-intervention policy in the other worlds.

Sorry  I  wasn't very  clear it  was  stated  that  destroying  Furrae  would'nt  affect  everything  at  large . This  is  the  only  reason  they  are  so  open  in  when  it  comes  to  interactions  there , when  Mab's daughter interacts  with  a  being  from  another  realm  she  hides  all  Fae  traits .

QuoteActually, you could probably make an interesting story by tying that up with David Icke's belief that the world is secretly run by disguised lizard overlords.
Quite sadly  I  imagination  to  write  my  way  out  of  a  wet  paper  bag :<
Though  I  did  have  an  idea  once  for  a  story  with  a  slightly  similar  premise , but  it  involved  Cubi  attempting  to  eck  out  a  new  life  in  another  universe  only  to  get  caught  up  in a gang war  between  rivaling  cults  in  a Lovecraft  type  setting , but  I  never  could  refine  it .

Also  it  has  been  stated  that  Dan  will  kill  Destina , so  that  might  complicate  the  banishing  all  Dragons . Not  to  mention  they  were  existed  prior  to  most  of  the  other  races ,considering  they are  close  to  the  Fae  in  terms  of  power  and  influence  in  Furrae   removing  them  would  cause  absolute  chaos . The Fae might be  motivated  to  undo  all  of  Destina's  work  granted  how  close  they  were  with  Dragon's . 

By  the  way  what  is  Apartment Complexity ?

Darkmoon

I don't want to stifle discussion here, but I have to question to thought process behind arguing with the creator about his own comic.

it should be noted that Project Future started as a semi-official spin off of DMFA, but has since grown into it's own comic. Whether or not Tapewolf and Ambaaargh even consider the two comics to be in the same continuity, it's best to just take any continuity issues in stride. The two comics are created by two different writers, and some things are going to change in "translation".
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 08, 2014, 10:42:28 PM
Also  it  has  been  stated  that  Dan  will  kill  Destina , so  that  might  complicate  the  banishing  all  Dragons . Not  to  mention  they  were  existed  prior  to  most  of  the  other  races ,considering  they are  close  to  the  Fae  in  terms  of  power  and  influence  in  Furrae   removing  them  would  cause  absolute  chaos . The Fae might be  motivated  to  undo  all  of  Destina's  work  granted  how  close  they  were  with  Dragon's . 

Technically, it has been stated that "EEEEEK! I mean the life of Destania has ended at the hands of Daniel Ti'Fiona!!!" (see #295, last panel).

So "will kill" is a little mistaken.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 08, 2014, 09:01:09 PM
QuoteAlso  the  portals  your  character  created  only  lead  to  human  run  worlds where  there  is  no  evidence  that  anyone  is  enforcing  status  quo

Actually, you could probably make an interesting story by tying that up with David Icke's belief that the world is secretly run by disguised lizard overlords.

That's not a belief you dummy. IT'S ALL TRUE AAAAAAA  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 08, 2014, 10:42:28 PM

Yeah, a while back I started explicitly stating the assumption that she does succeed.  Destania being killed (by Dan or otherwise) doesn't necessarily stop her plan from happening - she may die afterwards, or Biggs might carry it out in her stead since it looks very much like the dragons tried to exterminate his lot too.

As for the Fae not liking it, given that Mab seems to have befriended several 'Cubi I would not be at all surprised if Destania's grand plan is some part of her overall scheme.

QuoteBy  the  way  what  is  Apartment Complexity ?

It's the working title for a project that was going to take the middle slot after Abel's Story finished.  It got delayed, but last I heard it was still on the cards at some point.  It is not set in Furrae, but I'm pretty sure she mentioned it took place in a different plane of the same multiverse.

Some of the character tests are on FA:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2730022/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2762272/

meltingface101

The  Dragon and  Fae  races  have  had  a  lot  more  together  , and  Cubi  are  a  relatively  new  race . There  are  probably  a  lot  more  Fae  who  are  familiar  with  and  have  befriended  Dragons than  those  Who  have  befriended  Cubi   . 

I  sincerely  doubt  a  mentally  unstable , impulsive  Cubi  would  have  chosen  something  as  complicated  and  non-lethal as  banishment . Anyone  with  sufficient  magical  know  how  and  power  could  get  around  it . The  only  spell  I  could  see  that  would  fit  would  be  one  that  destroys  the  soul  of  everyone  attached  to  the  bloodline  of  the  first  Dragon .  :U She  could  wipe  out  countless  people  who  are  related  to  Dragons like  V  in  Order  of  The  Stick . This  would  seem  more  in  character  for  her  in  my  opinion . There  are  simply  to  many  work  arounds  to  make  most  other  spells  practical anyway.

Aurik Marr

I don't mean to continue the trend of this thread being off topic, but as for the multidimensional portal thing, I think Destania would probably only nullify magically based portals. With the amount of energy Jakob is now generating, isn't it possible for him to find a technological workaround eventually? I know that most of the tech he has was acquired elsewhere but he's had some time with the tech to learn its true capabilities and knows how to use tech in conjunction with magic. Looking at it this way it's not so far fetched. My apologies for my post being so long.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurik Marr on January 10, 2014, 09:45:05 AM
I don't mean to continue the trend of this thread being off topic, but as for the multidimensional portal thing, I think Destania would probably only nullify magically based portals. With the amount of energy Jakob is now generating, isn't it possible for him to find a technological workaround eventually? I know that most of the tech he has was acquired elsewhere but he's had some time with the tech to learn its true capabilities and knows how to use tech in conjunction with magic. Looking at it this way it's not so far fetched. My apologies for my post being so long.

Possibly, but a lot depends on what Destania is actually planning to do and how widespread the effect is on the dragons.
If her solution involves firewalling Furrae off from the multiverse and eliminating the dragons currently in the Furrae plane, Jakob punching a hole in it could unleash a bunch of very angry dragons back into Furrae and that's likely not a risk he would want to take.  Project Epsilon - the sequel to PF -  touches on this, and Jakob's reaction to the prospect of Dragons returning involves a him falling in a dead faint.

If she really has found a way to purge them from the entire multiverse - which personally I doubt - that risk doesn't exist.

Either way it's something I'd be a bit reluctant to write about at the moment, I think the gaps in my understanding are a bit too big...

meltingface101

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 10, 2014, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: Aurik Marr on January 10, 2014, 09:45:05 AM

Possibly, but a lot depends on what Destania is actually planning to do and how widespread the effect is on the dragons.
If her solution involves firewalling Furrae off from the multiverse and eliminating the dragons currently in the Furrae plane, Jakob punching a hole in it could unleash a bunch of very angry dragons back into Furrae and that's likely not a risk he would want to take.  Project Epsilon - the sequel to PF -  touches on this, and Jakob's reaction to the prospect of Dragons returning involves a him falling in a dead faint.

If she really has found a way to purge them from the entire multiverse - which personally I doubt - that risk doesn't exist.
Either way it's something I'd be a bit reluctant to write about at the moment, I think the gaps in my understanding are a bit too big...

Such  things  sound  like  the  Fae's  domain , any  way  such  an  event  would  probably  drive most  other  races  to  hate  Cubi  more .  They  would  see  Cubi  as  a greater threat  to  stability  than  Dragons  ever  were , and  collectively  put  an  end  to  them  all  if  such  info  ever  got  out . Given  how  long  she's  been  holding  that  grudge , and  the  fact  that  Biggs  is  probably  not  the  first  person  she  has  used  news  has  gotten  out . The  power  vacuum  such  an  event  would  cause  would  deal  a  lot  of  damage  on  its  own , that  would  take  several  centuries  to  properly  settle .