2013/01/07 [TanP #46] - Didn't specify which traitor :P

Started by Eboreg, January 07, 2014, 06:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

Well, when you ask for help from a guy you intimidated into working for you so that you can kill his trusted ally, you get what you deserve. Also, in regards to that title, dangit Tape but you made me crash my computer.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on January 07, 2014, 06:46:29 AM
Also, in regards to that title, dangit Tape but you made me crash my computer.

Yeah, realistically it should have been something like kill -9 <some pid>, but I was in a hurry :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

"kill -9 1"

Friend of mine did that on the main Solaris 2.6 accounting server, three hours into the end of year processing, with the auditors standing by for the output. As root.

Everything on the machine stopped, for some reason. Can't think why - I mean, asking the core kernel thread to die shouldn't stop anything important, should it? ;-]

(After I learned that, I tried it on linux - 1.2.31, IIRC. It looked at me and said "yes, now what?"; so there's some ringfencing having been added to stop you removing your own foot, at least...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ZacAttac21

Ah, so that "kill -9" thing was a unix or w/e command. No wonder my brain hurt when I wondered what it meant. :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

kill passes a signal to the process ID handed to it.

As explained in an email to my brother a while ago (that I ran across while searching for somethign else recently), the default is 15, or TERM; 9 is KILL. The difference is kill -15 is "please close the door, turn out the lights, and shut down", whereas kill -9 is taking Old Yeller out back and double-tapping the back of the head.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

Something tells me that there still might be some more clean up they'll have to do.

Even after the clean up her.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.