In All Honestly, I'm Not Surprised (Steve Irwin is Dead)

Started by xHaZxMaTx, September 04, 2006, 12:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topher chee

GabrielsThoughts

I keep thinking about the episode of south park with GorignaK...or was it Steve. Anyway Cartman spent the whole episode following  around the Crock hunter...who was hunting a prehistoric human from almost three years ago (now six) and they were planning to do something naughty with his bung hole.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Zorro

Toric

I don't have any confirmation as to how it actually happened, Aridas, but I have a hypothesis.

The accident occurred in shallow ocean water.

According to this article Steve was stung when he "came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart."

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=232667&GT1=7703

My fellow zoology freaks and I talked about this freak accident (which was labeled as a stingray "attack" in the linked article, poor Steve could be turning in his grave for that one) and one student mentioned that it is highly unlikely that a stingray would be able to exert enough force to poke its tail through the chest and pierce the heart, on its own.

My hypothesis is that the poor man lost his balance and fell face-first onto the stingray, and the force of his fall allowed the tail to pierce deeply enough. It's pretty easy to lose your footing in those waves.

I'm a big Steve Irwin fan. I've followed his career ever since I first heard about the wacky guy who was wrestling crocodiles in khaki shorts. His teachings on the behavior of crocodiles will probably influence the world for quite some time, since he practically shifted the entire world's view of those animals from mindless man-eating killing machines to cranky, territorial hunters.

Like Aisha said, it's ironic that Steve died teaching people about animals, but not by being mauled by a crocodile (Take Aggro for example, who'll probably eventually miss his annoying pet food-giver despite himself) or bitten by a sea snake. He was taken out by an animal that is not known for killing, or even attacking.

Farewell, Steve Irwin. You shall be missed. :rose
Yap by Silver.

Gornemant

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 04, 2006, 07:32:20 PM
I keep thinking about the episode of south park with GorignaK...or was it Steve. Anyway Cartman spent the whole episode following  around the Crock hunter...who was hunting a prehistoric human from almost three years ago (now six) and they were planning to do something naughty with his bung hole.
"...Next week we'll look for more of these beautiful creatures, so we can learn more about them by pissing them off immensly" :p

Is it just me or is it ironic that, instead of being killed by all these deadly creatures he toyed around with, he got killed kinda unexpectedly? :U

xHaZxMaTx

Isn't it ironic that we've already been over this like 5 times?  :U

Toric

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on September 05, 2006, 12:56:32 AM

No it's not. It's redundant. :3
Yap by Silver.

Vaguely Creepy

I can't say that I know exactly what to say, but I do know I'm sorry to see him go. I wasn't a huge fan of his, but when I did see him in some show or another, I liked him. He always seemed so cheerful, or at least optimistic, and either way like a really nice guy. I don't think there will ever be another one quite like him.

Silverfoxr

been watching this alot on the news and i am upset alot as also an aussie - :( australia has lost a great icon ( i have not been able to stop crying over this yet :(

llearch n'n'daCorna

Steve is dead. Long live Steve.

As has been said - he will be missed. And that's the greatest tribute I think he could have, that people will miss him. :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netami

The fact that Steve Irwin cried when he found a crocodile dead says a lot about him to me. There's a clip on youtube of a crocodile he knew for a long time that had passed away, but there was another episode where he was hired to catch a large gator that had wandered in to human civilization. He went out in the night and found it shot dead, and mourned for it.

I honestly can't understand people bashing him on the grounds of animal rights; apparently there's quite a few PETA-ish people in the community that have that opinion of him.

King Of Hearts

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/04/irwin.death/index.html

heh, and apparently the guy ended up pulling out the serrated barb out himself before he died.

I wonder if Ms. Teri would agree to the state funeral...

RJ

They say that they have footage of what happened, but it's too graphic to show. In all truth, I would be horrified if they did air it. I was upset enough when they decided to play the tape of the emergency call... not to mention how a current affairs show decided to do a whole story on Bindy and how she could suceed him. It seemed okay at first until they started to deeply analyse how she'd react to all this... unneeded...

The outside of Australia Zoo is covered in flowers and khaki shirts. I wish I could go visit and pay my respects as well.

I would also like to promote this site, set up for those who would like to make a donation to the Wildlife Warriors: http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/

Those in America should be able to make a donation to the Crikey fund which will be set up soon.

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Gornemant

Quote from: Toric on September 05, 2006, 01:18:56 AM
Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on September 05, 2006, 12:56:32 AM

No it's not. It's redundant. :3
what can I say, guilty in that I was too lazy to read the previous pages :F

Zedd

Azlan

Quite a sad day indeed both for his family and the world of conservationism.  A great man was truly lost, the work he did has immense value, he will truly be missed.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"