2013/04/19 [DMFA #1395] LEEROOY!

Started by VAE, April 18, 2013, 11:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

Some try to escape danger, some stand proud in its face...some chase it, and the last category makes danger itself recoil in terror.
That said, for someone who already died once ,the goat is a bit twitchy.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Paladin Sheppard

For someone bemoaning her fate of having a boring trip Kria may have to re-evaluate her opinion of the island now :3 Future vacation(rampage) spot?

Jasae Bushae

BEST. AMBASSADOR. EVER.

welp, it looks like the theory that it was a ranged attack is correct^^ Their aim sucks though XD
hmm...can spells be thrown off by wind resistance? or perhaps they couldnt see kria from that far away and assumed she already got in the carriage...

Anyway~ it will be fun to see her go wild XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

That One Guy

I still cling to the unlikely hope that Ree survives (or the undead equivalent of such)

He was my favorite   :3

(And she even called his name out instead of straight-up shrieking! That's gotta count for something  :<)

kdrakari

I checked the previous page and you can, in fact, see a small flash of light on a hill in the background of the third panel. Not sure how spells work, but I would expect something visible between the casting point and the target, so I expect a more mundane projectile.

On the other hand, that same hill has markedly different topography in the fourth panel, so that could have been an even larger attack rather than a source of this one.

InsanityRequiem

Quote from: kdrakari on April 19, 2013, 12:26:50 AM
I checked the previous page and you can, in fact, see a small flash of light on a hill in the background of the third panel. Not sure how spells work, but I would expect something visible between the casting point and the target, so I expect a more mundane projectile.

On the other hand, that same hill has markedly different topography in the fourth panel, so that could have been an even larger attack rather than a source of this one.

Kria's actually looking off in the wrong direction. The prior page shows smoke rising from the light green hill after the flash, and this page shows even more smoke trails from the same light green hill, which is to the left of the tree covered green hill.

But that's the problem! Too many green hills! :<

My eyes are drawn to Kria's glee-filled eyes.
Who is the sanest of us all? Why, the insane of course!

Nino

Kria's face in the first panel is the best face.

Lying Foo

Two things:

1. So much for all magic attacks being close-range... this one seems to come from who-knows-where.
2. "God?"

...actually, wait a sec... what Kria hears as "arghlargh"...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Anri

Quote from: Lying Foo on April 19, 2013, 02:05:32 AM
1. So much for all magic attacks being close-range... this one seems to come from who-knows-where.

There's been instances of magic as ranged attack before. Get thee to Abel's Story!

Tuyu

Oh, it is sooooo ON!

They TOOK OUT KRIA'S LUGGAGE!

(Any second now, she will realize it...)

joshofspam

The last panel Kria face is the best face for this page.

I also can't pick a favorite face for Sherri. She's just chuck full of awesome this story arc. :3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Prroul

To be honest, Kria has the correct tactical response in mind.

When dealing with a ranged assailant, the last thing they will expect is someone to charge their position. It shakes them up. We can infer from the response that the assailant in question is operating, at the gut-level, out of fear. They are over-reacting to the surname 'Soulstealer' in a blind fight-or-flight response, due to Dark Peg's inclination to genocide of his 'accident'. So use that fear. Charge them, and they will likely panic. And panic makes even the most tactically intelligent individual make mistakes. Remember, fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death which leads to total oblivion. Use it.

Besides, magic like that? Doesn't just grow on trees. Unless the assailant is either a) a Dragon, or b) a Fae... the odds of being able to instantly duplicate such a feat of magical prowess is relatively low. The Mage in question needs time to recharge. Which makes it the perfect time to counter-attack.

Tapewolf

"How do you shoot the Devil in the back?  What if you miss?"

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Bandersnatch

I really really hope Kria just drags Sherri around and they have ASSASSIN HUNTING ADVENTURES!

Which basically just shows Kria killing every Undead in her path and Sherri being dragged by a rope around her waist.

Eboreg

Quote from: Anri on April 19, 2013, 02:42:04 AM
Quote from: Lying Foo on April 19, 2013, 02:05:32 AM

There's been instances of magic as ranged attack before. Get thee to Abel's Story!

That attack was within musket range. This one is more like purpose-built sniper rifle, probably even .50 cal range.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

MT Hazard

Rhee and other griffin I didn't knooooooow!

Personally I would checking myself for puncture wounds, don't want to leaking sawdust (or blood) all over the place.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mischa

Quote from: Eboreg on April 19, 2013, 10:37:01 AM
That attack was within musket range. This one is more like purpose-built sniper rifle, probably even .50 cal range.

While a .50 cal is an anti-materiel rifle, I don't think it could cause that big of an explosion, unless it hit an explosive device already present (which is possible, but then you don't need a large calibre to do it).

Oddly, I'm now reminded of that old old old old fancomic I did where Mischa used a .50 cal and an artillery piece on Doctor Ink... <.<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 19, 2013, 03:43:01 AM
"How do you shoot the Devil in the back?  What if you miss?"

"Don't."

Quote from: Mischa on April 19, 2013, 11:15:54 AM
Quote from: Eboreg on April 19, 2013, 10:37:01 AM

While a .50 cal is an anti-materiel rifle, I don't think it could cause that big of an explosion, unless it hit an explosive device already present (which is possible, but then you don't need a large calibre to do it).

Oddly, I'm now reminded of that old old old old fancomic I did where Mischa used a .50 cal and an artillery piece on Doctor Ink... <.<

Barrett is a big slug, but it _is_ a slug. It'll make a nasty hole in anything (including the shoulder of the person behind the rifle, mind - recoil is a pain to cope with) but it won't explode.

Oh, and... "Need more gun." ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Eboreg

I was more talking about the range than the terminal effect. If I were to compare both to a technological analogue, it would either be a Javelin missile or a sniper rifle aimed at an impact-sensitive explosive. However, this universe has a dearth of magic-technology hybrids so ... a sniper/anti-materiel rifle with bullets magically enchanted to make big explosions? :P
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

TacticalError

It could still be a magical attack. I could see a fireball-type spell having a pretty long range, or a light magic spell (that might act like a sci-fi laser: fire it at something and it instantaneously explodes). There was no visible projectile though, so maybe a spell that still has travel time but isn't actually visible until it hits something?

Amber Williams

Quote from: Eboreg on April 19, 2013, 12:27:41 PM
I was more talking about the range than the terminal effect. If I were to compare both to a technological analogue, it would either be a Javelin missile or a sniper rifle aimed at an impact-sensitive explosive. However, this universe has a dearth of magic-technology hybrids so ... a sniper/anti-materiel rifle with bullets magically enchanted to make big explosions? :P

You cannot magically enchant bullets...which is perhaps one of the main reasons guns are considered poor choices when going up against magical creatures.

Mischa

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 19, 2013, 01:04:20 PMYou cannot magically enchant bullets...which is perhaps one of the main reasons guns are considered poor choices when going up against magical creatures.

"Some magical creature think they can outsmart me... I have yet to meet magical creature than can outsmart bullet!"  :P

SkeletalSpade

I love how adorable/shiney Kria's eyes got with the idea of going and attacking the attackers.

'Fiiiight  83'

D'ymkarra

Quote from: InsanityRequiem on April 19, 2013, 01:12:31 AM
Kria's actually looking off in the wrong direction. The prior page shows smoke rising from the light green hill after the flash, and this page shows even more smoke trails from the same light green hill, which is to the left of the tree covered green hill.

But that's the problem! Too many green hills! :<

My eyes are drawn to Kria's glee-filled eyes.
She's looking exactly where she should be; They're now standing slightly to the right of where the explosion occurred, and the hill where the flash/ smoke came from is now to the left/ in the center of the panel.

And yes, ALL the glee as Kria's boredom turns to elation..
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Eboreg

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 19, 2013, 01:04:20 PM
You cannot magically enchant bullets...which is perhaps one of the main reasons guns are considered poor choices when going up against magical creatures.

Hence the :P

Bandersnatch

Something I feel like I should mention, even though I am probably horribly wrong, but I've never really heard the word politics used the way Sherri used it. Wouldn't it have been better if it had been politicians or something else of that degree? I don't know, just the first time I've seen this word used this way, but it could very well be right.

Or perhaps she's just using that as a way to not have to say the name of of who she actually means. Over anaylzing and confusing myself go! :boogie

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 19, 2013, 12:17:14 PM
Barrett is a big slug, but it _is_ a slug. It'll make a nasty hole in anything (including the shoulder of the person behind the rifle, mind - recoil is a pain to cope with) but it won't explode.

When you refer to Barrett, are you referring to the .50/.416 M82A/M107A or the 25 mm XM109.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on April 20, 2013, 03:26:18 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 19, 2013, 12:17:14 PM

When you refer to Barrett, are you referring to the .50/.416 M82A/M107A or the 25 mm XM109.

I was referring to the M82A, but (being a civilian) being somewhat loose in my terminology. Apologies for that. And it's interesting to know that the XM109 is available.

Is there really enough difference between .50 and 25mm to require a different barrel? (and apologies to all those who aren't terribly interested - I'm just getting sidetracked...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Eboreg

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 20, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
Is there really enough difference between .50 and 25mm to require a different barrel?

25mm is about double the bullet diameter of .50 cal, so I'd say yes.

Naldru

The first time I heard of a 25mm sniper rifle, I though they were talking about the 25x137mm round instead of the 25x59mm round.   A semi-automatic rifle chambered for the 25x137mm would probably make Kria's eyes light up with joy.

By the way, both the .50 caliber and 25x59mm rounds come in explosive and incendiary versions.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.