2013/02/17 [DMFA #1379] Sneaky rainbow ninja appears

Started by Zebra Bug, February 17, 2013, 10:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zebra Bug

And it begins. I wonder how well her mind is shielded, or if Abel will notice her. And wow....she is very good hearing...and Jyrras! The puns! You deserve to be punished!

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Jasae Bushae

I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Dressari

* Twiddles thumbs.*

Am I the only one who feels a little bugged out by how easily Jyrras seemed to be semi-convinced by Abel's view about Dan's mother...?

I mean putting myself into Jyrras's shoes: Someone is trying to convince me that my best friend's mother is a psycho who wanted to assassinate someone I've only known for a couple of weeks, granted I have a crush on him so I should listen to him and his concern. But I only have his word and not any real evidence, and I've seen my best friends mom as a good person since I've known her.

But... I'm just weird out by the fact how easily Jyrras is just sitting here and going.. "whelp, Abel knows her better so he tells me. I've only known her for two decades compared to his four-hundred odd so he must have a point, yes sir." And the only reason I think that is because of his remark in the first panel of the last comic saying he could "understand Destania wanting Abel dead." Essentially believing him, how easily he took Abel's point on the baby subject. Okay granted, perhaps some of the text could be taken in different contexts, but still... it bugs me.

I wouldn't like to think Jyrras was this easily influenced, I half expected him to be more assertive from his view and experiance of his best friend's mother than the words of someone who apparently knows her. (And no, Adventures attacking the Inn and Abel claiming it was 'her' doing isn't any real evidence.) I mean it's good that he's going to let Abel try and figure it out, but he just seems too relenting in my opinion. I wonder Abel is even giving the full story at this point since we've only seen so much of the conversation, or even a glossed over version at least.

I'm glad however Abel isn't going to tell Alexsi yet, because despite what we know as readers, it would probably devastate her if someone suggested that her step-mom almost got her killed (Among other accusations they could say) without any hard proof. Not to mention probably piss her off.

Actually... I wonder if Alexsi knows a a good deal about Destania's past already, she seems to be pretty well informed as it is.

I'm sorry to ramble but like I say... it bugs me a bit and I've been sitting on this since Monday thinking about it, so just some thoughts I wanted to share.

Zebra Bug

Yes, I do have to say that among some of his possible faults, at least Abel has tact. And a sense of self-preservation...he acknowledged Alexsi as  one of the scariest things he's ever seen, so not telling her without concrete proof is a very smart move. As for Jyrras' easy acceptance of Abel's claim that Destania was behind the attack...I dunno. Maybe Dan told Jyrras something about his mother and grandmother (though unlikely)...maybe he is just that trusting. I agree it seems a little too....easy for him to just accept like that, but I don't think it is just "He has a cute butt and I am crushing on him so he must be right..." He's not that shallow.

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 17, 2013, 10:49:31 PM
Oh you saw her, well spotted~ 8D

Well, Chazore is a sneaky rainbow ninja, but she does not exactly blend in with tree.  :mowtongue

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: Dressari on February 17, 2013, 11:31:02 PM
Actually... I wonder if Alexsi knows a a good deal about Destania's past already, she seems to be pretty well informed as it is.

You mean like how when she found out pyroduck was a dragon she instantly knew about destanias grudge regarding dragons and was ready to break things off with him because she believed him to be after destania?

hmm....well looking at the Soulstealer family and the example Lorenda gave regarding dark pegasus being a fun uncle, it wouldnt be to out there is alexsi was in the know about most of it (up to things destania did after she left) and doesnt really care since its still her mom

Quote from: Zebra Bug on February 17, 2013, 11:43:22 PM

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 17, 2013, 10:49:31 PM
Oh you saw her, well spotted~ 8D

Well, Chazore is a sneaky rainbow ninja, but she does not exactly blend in with tree.  :mowtongue

So you could say she was in the spotlight, that its easy to spot the differences and *insert another spot here*
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Dressari

Quote from: Zebra BugMaybe Dan told Jyrras something about his mother and grandmother (though unlikely)...maybe he is just that trusting. I agree it seems a little too....easy for him to just accept like that, but I don't think it is just "He has a cute butt and I am crushing on him so he must be right..." He's not that shallow.

I didn't think he was either, but emotions often have an influence on how we welcome someone's views despite how well we know them deep down. I don't think Dan really has said anything to Jyrras about his mom than what he already knows, as Fa'Lina pointed out Dan knows nothing about Destania's true nature. Alexsi on the other hand... might be a different story.

Remember that book Dan checked out...? I wonder what it was about now, did Dan even read it or did Abel's words scare him off enough.

Really, this story arc has probably been one of the most emotionally grinding ones in DMFA thus far. My heart sank when Alexsi got hurt, my chest turned to knots when it was revealed it was Destania that ordered the hit on Abel. And now future updates scare the heck out of me because my mind wants to imagine things turning out one way, but then finding it goes completely the way I didn't expect.

Kudos to Amber for being able to put the humor into the seriousness of stories and still maintain something to think about.

Lying Foo

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 17, 2013, 11:50:37 PMYou mean like how when she found out pyroduck was a dragon she instantly knew about destanias grudge regarding dragons and was ready to break things off with him because she believed him to be after destania?

Makes me wonder, has Destania cost herself her last ally?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Dressari

Quote from: Lying Foo on February 18, 2013, 12:02:20 AM
Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 17, 2013, 11:50:37 PMYou mean like how when she found out pyroduck was a dragon she instantly knew about destanias grudge regarding dragons and was ready to break things off with him because she believed him to be after destania?

Makes me wonder, has Destania cost herself her last ally?

Honestly... that can be taken both ways. Alexsi willingly and knowingly entered into a relationship with a Dragon despite Destania's warnings and distrust of them, to the point as someone said she was almost ready to break it off with him instantly. Instead she didn't and stuck with it, so really, did Alexsi just cost herself the trust of her step-mother first?

Probably, but she likely hoped that Destania would be willing to overlook one dragon. Unfortunately... as we know, she does not and has discarded Alexsi as family. She just doesn't know it yet.

Also if Pyroduck was aware of this problem as well. Is he very well aware the danger and trouble HE maybe have caused Alexsi now by remaining with her and causing a rift between the two.

Remember those two hooking up came before Destania's plot at the Inn, plenty of time for her to find out in the meantime and be upset at her. It's just her way of showing it was rather... excessive.

KV1NN4

I wouldn't like to think Jyrras was this easily influenced, I half expected him to be more assertive from his view and experiance of his best friend's mother than the words of someone who apparently knows her.

I've seen and acknowledge your other posts, but I'd like to address one thing in this sentence.

From what I recall,Jyrras has never been the most assertive person...and he tends to be low-key,neutral and logical, and Cubi live a long time and there's plenty of lore existing about them pretending to be someone they're not... so yes, Jyrras has known Destania for over a decade...but parents usually had lives before they BECAME parents and sometimes those lives are remarkably different from what they are now.

So I'd say he's simply taking Abel's suggestiong into consideration... Jyrras hasn't known Abel long enough to know whether he's jsut paranoid and likes to exagerate or if it's the truth... anything is possible, but if he truly believed Abel whole-heartedly, I think Jyrras would be a lot more freaked out right now, rather than able to move past the topic and make jokes (terrible terrible jokes).
~K. *: )

Dressari

Quote from: KV1NN4 on February 18, 2013, 12:26:46 AM

I wouldn't like to think Jyrras was this easily influenced, I half expected him to be more assertive from his view and experiance of his best friend's mother than the words of someone who apparently knows her.

I've seen and acknowledge your other posts, but I'd like to address one thing in this sentence.

From what I recall,Jyrras has never been the most assertive person...and he tends to be low-key,neutral and logical, and Cubi live a long time and there's plenty of lore existing about them pretending to be someone they're not... so yes, Jyrras has known Destania for over a decade...but parents usually had lives before they BECAME parents and sometimes those lives are remarkably different from what they are now.

So I'd say he's simply taking Abel's suggestiong into consideration... Jyrras hasn't known Abel long enough to know whether he's jsut paranoid and likes to exagerate or if it's the truth... anything is possible, but if he truly believed Abel whole-heartedly, I think Jyrras would be a lot more freaked out right now, rather than able to move past the topic and make jokes (terrible terrible jokes).

Point made on both accounts. It still bugs me though, with that same neutral and logical thinking we know him for, it still appears too easy for him to accept the suggestion. But oh well, irony's a bitch too when it all starts coming together.

And I thought your username looked familiar until I saw your website :)

joshofspam

Quote from: KV1NN4 on February 18, 2013, 12:26:46 AM

I'd have to agree with this logic.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

kztxl7

It also really helps that Abel is speaking about this in a calm rational manner rather acting like a fanatic who thinks he saw Bigfoot after seeing a shadow and is desperately trying to convince everyone.

That and he is also taking into consideration Jyrras point of view and knowledge of Destania.

Tuyu

Well, yeah, Jyrras grew up thinking of Destania as just "Dan's mom", at least until she left to go looking for Edward (I assume he knows that much).

Since then he's found out that Dan is a 'cubi, because Destania is a 'cubi...

It leaves him open to considering that whatever her life was before coming to Lost Lake, the disappearance of Edward may have caused her to resume that life, and if that life is as Abel says it is... 

Tapewolf

What could be interesting is that if she heard that much, she may well have heard Abel saying that Destania probably ordered the hit on the inn.

EDIT: Or not - they seem to have moved around the inn which I didn't spot first time around for some reason.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Quote from: Dressari on February 18, 2013, 12:45:43 AM
Point made on both accounts. It still bugs me though, with that same neutral and logical thinking we know him for, it still appears too easy for him to accept the suggestion. But oh well, irony's a bitch too when it all starts coming together.

A logical mind does not instantly discard a possibility.  It might not put much weight into it's consideration due to lacking evidence, but it would hear it out and investigate the evidence first before coming to a conclusion.  So this feels pretty in line to me.  Jy is a scientist.  He's very likely to be open to all possibilities until such a time as they can be disproved or found to be incredibly unlikely.

Brunhidden

HEY! lurking in foliage ready to ambush is my bit!

really people, you missed the logical question of how to prove it was dest- shes obviously covered her tracks well enough that trained adventurers guild secretaries and the phoenix associations hadnt raised any red flags, so what skills and contacts does the shirtless wonder have to prove this?

even after that, what would he be able to do even with confirmation its her? tell dan to give puppy dog eyes?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 18, 2013, 11:03:35 AM
even after that, what would he be able to do even with confirmation its her? tell dan to give puppy dog eyes?

"But Moooooom..." ?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 18, 2013, 11:03:35 AM

really people, you missed the logical question of how to prove it was dest- shes obviously covered her tracks well enough that trained adventurers guild secretaries and the phoenix associations hadn't raised any red flags, so what skills and contacts does the shirtless wonder have to prove this?

Well if it were so easy to prove the storyline would not have the proper plot twists, now would it? I suppose it would be a good idea to save Amber's poor hips....but plot twists are such a big part of DMFA, we cannot do without. So it isn't a logical question...there is no proof at the moment. SHE did cover her tracks....but did she cover them well enough that Wildy (A shaman adventurer) along with Nitemyste (also a mage-type adventurer) with access to lots of paperwork won't find out something? Or that Abel (A cubi with a damn good idea who is behind it anyways) won't find some trail? Or that Chazore (sneaky rainbow ninja with a duty to defend Jyrras) won't be able to find out about the recent attack which potentially put Jyrras in danger...or that Kria won't find out that Abel was attacked and be curious to find out who would hurt him (I am assuming that she is still fond of him, even after so long)....Mab when omniscient knows who did it of course, but even in the plane of existence with everyone else I'm sure she'd still be suspicious of the events....and than Jyrras....

SO yeah, there may be no obvious trails, but with such an assortment looking for the truth...

Shadowdancer

Problem with logic is there is always a possibility. It would be wicked if Destania was simply testing Abel's intent, and worse, Alexsi may have even been in on it.  :erk  After all, she didn't get out the hammer, although I can't remember if she got a chance.
I agree with Abel here. Definitely deserves chuting. ba-dum-dum-tish  :B
The most powerful magic is just a distraction.

Zebra Bug

Quote from: Shadowdancer on February 18, 2013, 03:35:26 PM
Problem with logic is there is always a possibility. It would be wicked if Destania was simply testing Abel's intent, and worse, Alexsi may have even been in on it.  :erk  After all, she didn't get out the hammer, although I can't remember if she got a chance.
I agree with Abel here. Definitely deserves chuting. ba-dum-dum-tish  :B

Did Alexsi have a chance? Nope.

And WOW...I did not think of that twist....Alexsi being in on it...but no. I really...REALLY doubt that. Not with her dating Pryoduck, and Destania basically disowning her to Biggs.

Nino

* Twiddles thumbs.*

Am I the only one who feels a little bugged out by how easily Jyrras seemed to be semi-convinced by Abel's view about Dan's mother...?

Well, the thing is, Abel is RIGHT. So why should we be bothered by it? Yes, Jy actually personally knows Destania too, but he also knows Abel well enough at this point to know he's a good guy at heart and wouldn't just make something like that up. Jy is giving weight to the possibility that he's wrong but isn't ruling out that he's right either. So I think he's being really reasonable here.

Plus, we don't know Jy's past interactions with Destania. She's probably been a very good actor, but usually when someone's rotten at heart that tends to show through every now and again. She probably teased Jyrras at some point for being such a nerd, even if it was very subtle or something that could be passed off as harmless joking. It seems like the kind of thing she'd do.

Brunhidden

i come to think this might almost regulate itself- spy feeds kira info about dest, and it becomes a milf fight (smart enough to not say any other phrase) that may have some impressive collateral damage
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Dressari

Quote from: Nino on February 18, 2013, 10:31:27 PM
* Twiddles thumbs.*

Well, the thing is, Abel is RIGHT.

WE know Abel is right. Not that Jyrras knows he is right.

The point of my post was looking at this from a characters point of view, not from the view of us as readers. What we know compared to the characters are two entirely different things.

And I never said Jyrras wasn't giving the idea some consideration, I expected him too. What I didn't expect was him to do was swing around to the possibility so easily. That's what bugs me a bit, it's more that he's too logical and very little in terms of emotions about the subject. Maybe that's just his way and what he is, but he is also capable of being just as emotional as the next Being or creature.

You have a very good point about us not knowing his experiences in full with Destania when she was around the Inn. But I would still garner that gives him a fair idea on what Destania is like during his time. I mean it makes the difference between what you KNOW and what you hear/told/rumored by another.

Quote from: Ninobut he also knows Abel well enough at this point to know he's a good guy at heart and wouldn't just make something like that up.

To be fair little time has passed in the comic since the two met. Can we honestly say that? It's another conflict of what we know compared to what Jyrras knows as a character. If he knows Abel well enough after say a few weeks to assume he's a good Cubi, then two decades around Destania would be enough for him to assume Destania is still a good Cubi too. I think it would be safer to go with what everyone else is saying and that Jyrras is logically concluding that Abel could be both telling the truth and telling a lie at this point until proven otherwise.

That and we know Abel can be a jerk and a blunt bastard at times. Plus he wanted to kill his own father at one point, even if we know his father was deserving of it saying you want to kill your own family members is something to be concerned about.

Again, I'm just a little bugged, not upset or anything.

Quote from: Brunhiddenreally people, you missed the logical question of how to prove it was dest- shes obviously covered her tracks well enough that trained adventurers guild secretaries and the phoenix associations hadnt raised any red flags, so what skills and contacts does the shirtless wonder have to prove this?

I had to think on this one for a second, but you saying this brings up something. Judging by what Destania said to Biggs, it doesn't even seem like Destania is even going to bother to try again. If Abel can't bring up the evidence quick enough or find enough of it in the first place, it seems unlikely he is going to prove it anyway... now I say that and I expect Amber to pull a plot twist. And if it isn't Abel who finds out with evidence... I wonder who the next likely candidate will be, because I bet you someone WILL find out.

Quote from: Brunhiddeni come to think this might almost regulate itself- spy feeds kira info about dest, and it becomes a milf fight (smart enough to not say any other phrase) that may have some impressive collateral damage

Which spy? How would they know to feed the info to Kria about Destania. If we're talking about Chazore, I'm curious to know how they are already assuming it was Destania to start with.

I think it's more likely that the BoB are going to dig up something. Even then... we're still not entirely sure how Destania coaxed the BoB to the Inn in the first place. Because by their words they were looking into the potential death of Merlitz, that's more personal than a job posting at the Guilds.

Oh good lord, I'm typing too much again... *Slips away*

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 19, 2013, 12:59:37 AM
i come to think this might almost regulate itself- spy feeds kira info about dest, and it becomes a milf fight (smart enough to not say any other phrase) that may have some impressive collateral damage

I would very much like to see that happen, and I would be rooting for Kria all the way, not just because she's hotter than Destania, but also because Destania is more evil, at least in my opinion.

Quote from: Dressari on February 19, 2013, 01:18:03 AM
Quote from: Ninobut he also knows Abel well enough at this point to know he's a good guy at heart and wouldn't just make something like that up.

To be fair little time has passed in the comic since the two met. Can we honestly say that? It's another conflict of what we know compared to what Jyrras knows as a character. If he knows Abel well enough after say a few weeks to assume he's a good Cubi, then two decades around Destania would be enough for him to assume Destania is still a good Cubi too. I think it would be safer to go with what everyone else is saying and that Jyrras is logically concluding that Abel could be both telling the truth and telling a lie at this point until proven otherwise.

Jyrrus' possibly quicker than usual consideration of Abel's claims of Destania's guilt might actually be slightly emotionally based when you consider the possibility that he might not have always known Destania was a Succubus.  I'd have to go back and read through the archives to be sure, but I think before Aaryanna's mouth and Dan's budding head-wings revealed it, only Alexsi and Mab knew that Destania was a Succubus.  I'm pretty sure that fact came as a shock to not only Dan himself, but also Jyrrus and Dan's other friends as well.  It could be possible that since learning this fact, Jyrrus could have had creeping doubts about Destania's honesty and general character from that point onward, doubts which are now being reinforced by Abel's claim and which are making him more readily consider it as truth.
Those doubts could have also been reinforced beforehand if at some point Jyrrus snuck a peak at that book Dan checked out from the SAIA Library, but once again I'd have to go back and read through the archives to see if there was ever even the remotest possibility Jyrrus could have had the opportunity to do that.

But still, despite my own hypothesis, I for one still view Jyrrus as a very logical person, and his willingness to consider the possibility of truth behind Abel's claim is at most 10% emotional, and the other 90% is logical.  A logical person has to keep an open mind about these sorts of things, especially when there are few to no other leads present as to who could have masterminded this attack on the Lost Lake Inn.

Anway, that's just my two cents on the discussion.

Icon by Sunblink

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Zebra Bug on February 18, 2013, 04:13:05 PM
And WOW...I did not think of that twist....Alexsi being in on it...but no. I really...REALLY doubt that. Not with her dating Pryoduck, and Destania basically disowning her to Biggs.

You're presuming that Destania was telling the truth to Biggs. I figure she's showing everyone (and I do mean everyone) a face that makes sense to _them_.

o/~ Oh, yes, I'm the Great Pretender... o/~

Quote from: Dressari on February 19, 2013, 01:18:03 AM
Oh good lord, I'm typing too much again... *Slips away*

Hang on, this is _possible_??? ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 19, 2013, 04:37:06 AM
You're presuming that Destania was telling the truth to Biggs. I figure she's showing everyone (and I do mean everyone) a face that makes sense to _them_.

That's very possible.  It could also explain why she had Aary wrapped around her finger.  I mean, it could have been shared goals, but I'm not sure.  Aary didn't seem to want Abel killed, she just seemed to see him as an annoying rival...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2013, 04:50:43 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 19, 2013, 04:37:06 AM

That's very possible.  It could also explain why she had Aary wrapped around her finger.  I mean, it could have been shared goals, but I'm not sure.  Aary didn't seem to want Abel killed, she just seemed to see him as an annoying rival...

I thought that was because she wanted more from him besides the frequent arguments she had with him.

Still, if we learned anything from Destania from her interaction with Biggs and her interaction with Abel in his side story, she wasn't above considering using others to reach her goals.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Lying Foo

You know, considering what prompted this, you'd think "don't hurt that Cubi who's been in the papers with him" would have been on the list of secondary objectives.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lying Foo on February 19, 2013, 01:16:37 PM
You know, considering what prompted this, you'd think "don't hurt that Cubi who's been in the papers with him" would have been on the list of secondary objectives.

I dunno. Given how accurate the media usually is, particularly the tabloid press, I'd be inclined to take anything said in any of those rags with a grain of salt the size of Alaska. And, since Kria is a person of note, so to speak, you can bet she's been the target of one of those reporters in the past, so knows how accurate any of their information is. So I'd suggest the take she has is that the target of Jyjy's affections may or may not be anything like what the paper says it is, and as such her agent, Chazore, can use her own judgement.

Which is all good.