Side Story thoughts and suggestions

Started by dracone, January 20, 2013, 11:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracone

since I couldn't find it on the forums I decided set this thread up, I am aware there maybe another discussion of this nature on the forums, but as stated earlier I could not find it.

Anyway I really like the side stories, and am looking forward to which ever winds the contest at month's end.
On to the reason this was established I was thinking it would be good idea for the readers to give some suggestions as to what new side stories could come next. I know I would like to see a side story involving Fa'Lina establishing SAIA or one about Daniels father (Edward), of course I wouldn't mind a story about Destania explaining in a little more detail about how she came to marry Dan's father. I'm sure those are interesting points for more than me.
Feel free to express your thoughts and suggestions.

Amber Williams

I did initially consider having Matilda go up against Fa'Lina in terms of backstory war...but I decided against it because I figured if folks felt Abel's story was full of tears, Fa'Lina would steal the total grimdark "all the sad" cake. :U

Tapewolf

Yes, that would be bad.  Have you considered reviving Regina's story, though?  That might be a good one to stick in if you do this again.  (That said, had it been 'Dan's past with Regina' vs 'Secrets of the universe', I would not have been able to choose)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 20, 2013, 12:04:50 PM
Yes, that would be bad.  Have you considered reviving Regina's story, though?  That might be a good one to stick in if you do this again.  (That said, had it been 'Dan's past with Regina' vs 'Secrets of the universe', I would not have been able to choose)

I actually had a tough time deciding between 'Matilda's past and species' vs 'Secrets of the universe', since I really would like to like to know more about the culture and physical aspects of Matilda's mythos species, of which the males are super cool looking.

Regina would be interesting, but not as interesting as Matilda, as we know just about all there is to know about demons and her past seems pretty cut and dry.  From the clues we've gotten in the main comic, she likely dated and had a romantic relationship with Dan until things got more than rocky when she decided to go on a classic demonic killing spree for kicks, with Wildy's mother among the victims.  And her personality doesn't seem that complex, just another one of those teenage spoiled brats almost perfectly adhering to the conformist stereotype of a narcissistic popular girl obsessed with pink and trends and fads and fashion and just generally looking prettier than everyone else. :P

Personally, I'd like to know more about Aliph "Dark Pegasus" Soulstealer's background, particularly his creation of the undead race on top of learning more about the Soulstealer family, although Regina's story might reveal more about that as well.  But Aliph seems more interesting, especially since he seems to have been almost as maladjusted in his youth as he is now, even before the damage to his soul from his resurrections began affecting his mind.  Speaking of which, his backstory could also reveal more about the ritual behind his resurrections as well, and it would certainly be interesting to learn exactly how much of it is physical resuscitation and how much of it is metaphysical necromancy, and why he's able to come back as a demon instead of an undead.

But no matter what, when push comes to shove, "Secrets of the Universe" will always end up winning out against just about everything else in my book, as that is more valuable than just about everything else in creating fan-fictions.  However, since Matilda's victory seems inevitable, I may stand corrected after getting to read it.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 20, 2013, 01:54:11 PM
Regina would be interesting, but not as interesting as Matilda, as her past seems pretty cut and dry in that she likely dated and had a romantic relationship with Dan until things got rocky when she decided to go on a classic demonic killing spree for kicks, with Wildy's mother among the victims.

Yes, but remember that 'Regina's Story' was supposed to be more 'Dan's Story', and a bigger window on his past would be an interesting thing to see.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 20, 2013, 02:04:15 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 20, 2013, 01:54:11 PM
Regina would be interesting, but not as interesting as Matilda, as her past seems pretty cut and dry in that she likely dated and had a romantic relationship with Dan until things got rocky when she decided to go on a classic demonic killing spree for kicks, with Wildy's mother among the victims.

Yes, but remember that 'Regina's Story' was supposed to be more 'Dan's Story', and a bigger window on his past would be an interesting thing to see.

If what you say is true, it might make it a little more interesting, but honestly, at this point, aside from noting Destania's behavior, Dan's past really doesn't seem that interesting to me.  No offense, but other than his Amazon fetish, his Cyran cubi heritage, and the innate personality traits he might have gotten from his mother, Dan doesn't really interest me as much as members of the Soulstealer family, so I'd be choosing Regina's story more for the Soulstealers than Dan.  I might also choose it for a little bit of Wildy's past with the possibility of some of Biggs' past as well because Regina killed their mother.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 20, 2013, 02:13:10 PM
Damn, you finally managed to quote one of the sections of one of my posts right as I was editing and adding to it.
Be grateful, some sites don't let you edit at all...

QuoteIf you what you say is true, it might make it a little more interesting, but honestly, at this point, aside from noting Destania's behavior, Dan's past really doesn't seem that interesting to me.

Well, for one it's probably before Destania left.  The other thing is that for all that Dan's the main character, we don't know very much about him historically.  Some readers were questioning his competence as an adventurer [esp. during the Return of DP arc] since most of what he's done in the comic has failed miserably.  On the other hand, seeing him killing people is perhaps not something we really want to see, and it's most likely that Regina happened before he seriously took up that career (IIRC it was Regina who kickstarted it).

Eboreg

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 20, 2013, 02:34:44 PM
(IIRC it was Regina who kickstarted it).

IIRC Dan had always wanted to be an adventurer from the very beginning. (See the Jyrras backstory arc)
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Plotting

I would not mind seeing something with Devin in it. And that Dalmatian that he used to go adventuring with...I forget his name...

EDIT

But I imagine a story with those two in it would be a little sad, considering what happens to them.

Perhaps something with Devin being raised by Kria? That could be full of random shenanigans! :) Especially during the terrible twos!  >:3

EDIT II

Kria could tell tales about all the things Devin did when she was raising him at a party or something! Parents always love to embarrass their kids at parties!  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Plotting on January 21, 2013, 04:14:11 AM
But I imagine a story with those two in it would be a little sad, considering what happens to them.

"Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead" level? Or something else?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

icarus

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 20, 2013, 11:45:21 AM
I did initially consider having Matilda go up against Fa'Lina in terms of backstory war...but I decided against it because I figured if folks felt Abel's story was full of tears, Fa'Lina would steal the total grimdark "all the sad" cake. :U

but but but
but FA'LINA

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Plotting

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 21, 2013, 09:46:29 AM
Quote from: Plotting on January 21, 2013, 04:14:11 AM

"Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead" level? Or something else?

I was thinking alone the lines of earlier adventures they had. I remember Amber saying something about them being involved in an adventure where an angel was using an actress or something to do his dirty work by controlling the actresses body, or something along those lines.

Zebra Bug

I would have been interested in seeing Regina's history, but if she had been faced off with Matilda, I would likely still have picked Matilda. She is just so....adorable. I want to see her culture too. It seems so interesting from the tidbits we've gotten in comic. But I do sorta wish Mab would've won, because....mysteries of the universe!

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Jasae Bushae

Well if the matilda story ends up being shorter than abels, maybe amber will do another story war next year? it seems to really draw people into the donation competition
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Ignuus66

Hmmm, I wonder what will win in a competition in matilda vs continued abel's story

(credit: Gabi)

dracone

I really do want to hear the the story about Destania and Edward meeting and their eventual  marriage and maybe a bit of their lives raising Dan, maybe until Dan was 5 or 6. It would also be a great opportunity to see a young Alexsi, because I don't remember seeing that in any of the childhood flashbacks. Anyone else have similar thoughts on the subject?

Tuyu

I'd like to see the story of how Destania ended up at the inn that night, but I have a feeling that isn't a "side" story--it may even be central to her current behavior.

icarus

Quote from: Tuyu on January 23, 2013, 02:04:31 PM
I'd like to see the story of how Destania ended up at the inn that night, but I have a feeling that isn't a "side" story--it may even be central to her current behavior.
pretty sure she was hunting the man who killed aniz. :P

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Drayco84

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 20, 2013, 11:45:21 AM

Are you SURE that you didn't reject that because, due to Fa'Lina's incredibly long lifespan, her "sidestory" would end up taking 500 pages or more?
Just checking.

Mischa

I'm just chuckling thinking about what Amber would attribute her clawhand to if she had to draw Fa'Lina's backstory. 

"So many bewbs!"

dracone

Well, it looks like this thread is either going to cool down to the point people forget about 'til the next side story war or heat up with more opinions and suggestions of what the next set of side stories could be.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mischa on January 23, 2013, 07:00:27 PM
I'm just chuckling thinking about what Amber would attribute her clawhand to if she had to draw Fa'Lina's backstory. 

"So many bewbs!"

The best thing to clawhand on. So to speak...

I'm sure she'd just make the breast of a bad situation, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

dracone

The Matilda side story is shaping up to be entertaining. So I propose that we have another poll for side stories, preferably with more than 2 options given the number of earlier responses to this thread, after the Matilda side story has reached its 12th page.

Jasae Bushae

not that i see the next one popping up anytime soon though if it ever came up id love to see how wildy got back home after the warp incident XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

dracone

Amber Williams

I've actually been toying with the possibility that should a new war that features a comic sequence happens, it would likely be over if I finally get off my face and start either Apartment Complexity or Mikelo's Story.

Merlin

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 05, 2013, 07:59:47 PM
Mikelo's Story.

:B Wanna see that turtledove, but holy moly have the DMFA sidestories been amazing so far

Mao

I have whined and begged for Mikelo's story for as long as I have known Mab.  I suspect that I will be doing so for a very long time yet.  Mostly because she's a butt like that.

Nino

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 05, 2013, 07:59:47 PM
I've actually been toying with the possibility that should a new war that features a comic sequence happens, it would likely be over if I finally get off my face and start either Apartment Complexity or Mikelo's Story.

Is Apartment Complexity the one with Ike, Zack, Cassidy, etc.? Haha in one of the descriptions for those characters it says "Character test for a future project I hope to do with a friend once Abel's Story ends." I guess you didn't say when, but I was totally hoping for right after Abel's Story when I read that three years ago :p

That said, I think the premise for Mikelo's story sounds a bit more interesting. Of course I know next to nothing about the premise of Apartment Complexity, but the name make it sound so much like a slice of life comic like QC and I feel like those end up getting so meandering and pointless after a while since there's no real background plot, just one short character arc after another, usually relationship-y.

Plus Mikelo's character design is super adorable.

Zebra Bug

I personally want to know more about Anthicus and Boko. Who are associated with Mikelo of course.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria