07/12/12 [DMFA #1359] - Demonic proving

Started by MT Hazard, December 07, 2012, 08:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

So Reg wants to prove herself. This could be very bad for some being adventurer. And everybody in the blast radius.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

LionHeart

Yeah, she wants to prove herself... as long as it doesn't require her to actually go out and do something.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

joshofspam

Hmmmmm...I seem to remember a test Kria was taking in the Abel's side story.

I wonder if Regina is up to a task like that?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on December 07, 2012, 11:06:41 AM
Hmmmmm...I seem to remember a test Kria was taking in the Abel's side story.
I wonder if Regina is up to a task like that?

I did wonder, especially as I suspect it was DP administering it.  I guess the question is, where are they going to do it?  In the frozen place, or somewhere we are familiar with as readers?

I'm also kind of curious about why DP is talking about building something (a base?) when he likely still has that castle place out near H-Ann?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: LionHeart on December 07, 2012, 10:31:57 AM
Yeah, she wants to prove herself... as long as it doesn't require her to actually go out and do something.

Well, it's not like she isn't completely incapable of doing something, at least as far as the currently given hints of her checkered past with Dan and Wildy seem to imply.  On the other hand, it's uncertain whether or not what she already might have done was by accident or on purpose if she actually did do it.

Icon by Sunblink

MT Hazard

In ambers rant she mentions the difficultly of writing a character that different views to you. The worse I experienced this was a character I killed off a few chapters after his introduction, simply because I though he was evil.

Anyone here got any tips on writing character that have vastly different views, while avoiding making them straw men?

Attic Rat

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 07, 2012, 03:32:16 PM
In ambers rant she mentions the difficultly of writing a character that different views to you. The worse I experienced this was a character I killed off a few chapters after his introduction, simply because I though he was evil.

Anyone here got any tips on writing character that have vastly different views, while avoiding making them straw men?
At a guess, you'd have to work out the details of their viewpoint and why it seems reasonable within that character's worldview.
...And the erroneous worldview has to be something that a sane, intelligent mind should be able to accept.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

MUDPUNISHER

I love DPs response
Ok the bulding can wait, lets leave.
MUDPUNISHER commander of the 77th ArmoredCav.Forum destroyer of wallshanderouterofgrenades,
ahahah turning the car into oncoming traffic... IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE-Jim Carey
avatarby-Hapless-Enigma...THANKYOU
APRIL4th= GRENADEMAS
also...... Can I be Abels brother?... pleeeaaassseee

Eli_In_Chains

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 07, 2012, 03:32:16 PM

My recommendation is that you need to explain to yourself (and, if necessary, to the readers as well) the experiences they've had which convince them of their views. And everyone has blind spots in their beliefs, things they should question but don't. Don't be afraid to have it be one of those, so long as you have an explanation for how it got adopted in the first place. If you're having trouble figuring out how to portray an opinion in a way that doesn't feel like a strawman, then the final resort is to BA-DUM-DUMMMM find someone who actually has that opinion. And talk to them about it.

Of course that all would fall apart if the issue is one of those fancy-pants "metaphors" for real life, like where elves represent gay people or something. Or was that vampires? Or... something. Vampires represented puberty, I think. o.o You might be hard pressed to find someone who would answer "Yes, gay vampire elves are evil, and should never be given the right to marry each other" to have a decent conversation with.

EDIT: For the record, this post looks perfectly fine to me right now, but I am also tired enough that I was asleep while typing part of it, so sleep deprivation may be screwing with my sense of what's fine and what's not.

YawnPB

Often the best villian's are not the one's you agree with.  However you understand why they decided to do it.  Though the way they deal with getting a solution is often horrific/involves bloody wars/devoid of morals as we know them.  Like Dr. Doom or Khan(Star Trek 2).
Lurkus Wallflowerus

MT Hazard

Thanks for the advice everybody, some villains may just require me to listen to my inner jerk (everyone has one,somewhere) others, I just have to find out what lead them to those beliefs. What will probably help is that my main characters will probably, in some small way, agree with their beliefs, but have the morals not to act on them.

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on December 07, 2012, 05:27:01 PM
For the record, this post looks perfectly fine to me right now, but I am also tired enough that I was asleep while typing part of it, so sleep deprivation may be screwing with my sense of what's fine and what's not.

Nah, your good.

Brunhidden

i believe an easy to miss important aspect of this is being demons they will invariably decide 'proving' involves traditional violence. its entirely possible that reggie has some other special talent, until she gets her cutie mark sh... wait...

exploring yourself is important, one needs to go on the road, explore themselves as they see the world, meet interesting people and have their views challenged, experience new ideas, find the rainbow connection between the lovers the dreamers and me because at some point you stop the car and boot out the weirdos you acquired along the way

because, once you truly discover yourself you realise we are all weirdos

four
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Eli_In_Chains

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 09, 2012, 02:52:09 PM
Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on December 07, 2012, 05:27:01 PM
For the record, this post looks perfectly fine to me right now, but I am also tired enough that I was asleep while typing part of it, so sleep deprivation may be screwing with my sense of what's fine and what's not.

Nah, your good.

Good, I sometimes can't tell what jokes are and aren't good for a situation, and I might have been rambling. On topic, it doesn't exactly bode well that it's Dark Pegasus telling Regina they're going to do something. That sounds... ominous. Coming from him, it seems to me that violence is in the near future, much as Brunhidden said.