28/09/12 [DMFA #1340] - Cat in a tree

Started by MT Hazard, September 28, 2012, 07:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

A full blown phobia you say? We'll at that to the list..

Looks like Wildy isn't calming down any time soon, she doesn't like it when people don't bend to her will.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mao

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 28, 2012, 07:15:19 AM
Looks like Wildy isn't calming down any time soon, she doesn't like it when people don't bend to her will.

Yes, it's totally because Abel didn't bend to her will.  Or, you know, maybe all of those other things like:  She staked her reputation on him and he blew it.  Or that, as far as she can tell, the B.O.B. will likely be coming back.  With reinforcements.  I'm sure none of those contribute to her overall distress.  No.  It's totally because Abel didn't do what she wanted...

I'm willing to grant that she might be overreacting, but I really don't agree with the insistence that she's upset because Abel didn't do what she wanted him to do.  It really downplays the character in a negative way and writes her off as being one dimensional even though just by reading the dialogue from today's comic we can see she's not.

Tapewolf

Well, at least we don't have to worry about a Gen ambush.  The question is, what should they do now?  I figure their options come down to at least:
1. Hide Abel
2. Fortify the place, e.g. with Jyrras' 'planting machine', maybe with Mab
3. Call Zinvth for reinforcements

Abel hiding is clearly only a temporary measure since one day Dan will return.  At some point he also needs to make sure the others understand the danger that Dan's proximity brings.

Calling Zinvth would almost certainly make Kria aware of Abel's presence and that might not work out too well since AFAIK Abel still blames Kria for the murder of Devin.

All considered, I'm not sure how much of this is down to Abel creating, and how much of it is down to Jyrras' posturing with the gun.  Abel certainly didn't help, though to be fair I don't know how many other 'Cubi or Creatures in general would want to risk going with them.
But I can't help but think that Jyrras might well have done the gun thing even if Abel decided to go under Wildy's protection.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Quote from: Mao on September 28, 2012, 08:20:45 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on September 28, 2012, 07:15:19 AM

Yes, it's totally because Abel didn't bend to her will.  Or, you know, maybe all of those other things like:  She staked her reputation on him and he blew it.  Or that, as far as she can tell, the B.O.B. will likely be coming back.  With reinforcements.  I'm sure none of those contribute to her overall distress.  No.  It's totally because Abel didn't do what she wanted...

I'm willing to grant that she might be overreacting, but I really don't agree with the insistence that she's upset because Abel didn't do what she wanted him to do.  It really downplays the character in a negative way and writes her off as being one dimensional even though just by reading the dialogue from today's comic we can see she's not.

I don't see her as a one dimensional character, just one who resorts to violence as a first resort and violently disagrees with anyone who disagrees with her. Abel has no reason to trust the B.O.B and no reason to trust her, the woman who has a loose understanding of the word friend, who hit him for calling her out on writing a 'friend' into a trashy novel and routinely threatens to get what she wants. Rather than see things from Abel's point of view, she asks him to trust she knows what she's doing, with predictable results.

Yes the future prospect of the return on the B.O.B is worrying but does she need to take that out on Abel and Jy? No, one of them doesn't trust her, the other has no experience of adventuring or its politics.

Within the comic she has beaten up Dan several times for perceived wrong doing and laughed at his pain. Dan is her best friend. Admittedly it might be her upbringing but that doesn't mean she's right.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

justacritic

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2012, 08:50:47 AM
Well, at least we don't have to worry about a Gen ambush.  The question is, what should they do now?  I figure their options come down to at least:
1. Hide Abel
2. Fortify the place, e.g. with Jyrras' 'planting machine', maybe with Mab
3. Call Zinvth for reinforcements

Abel hiding is clearly only a temporary measure since one day Dan will return.  At some point he also needs to make sure the others understand the danger that Dan's proximity brings.

Calling Zinvth would almost certainly make Kria aware of Abel's presence and that might not work out too well since AFAIK Abel still blames Kria for the murder of Devin.

All considered, I'm not sure how much of this is down to Abel creating, and how much of it is down to Jyrras' posturing with the gun.  Abel certainly didn't help, though to be fair I don't know how many other 'Cubi or Creatures in general would want to risk going with them.
But I can't help but think that Jyrras might well have done the gun thing even if Abel decided to go under Wildy's protection.

I don't Abel knows it was Kria that killed Devin, makes it rather awkward having your victim as your extended family.

Sofox

Don't be silly Peg, it's not a phobia. Phobias are irrational.

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on September 28, 2012, 10:05:44 AM
I don't Abel knows it was Kria that killed Devin, makes it rather awkward having your victim as your extended family.

You're right, it's not cut and dried how much he overheard here:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Ab_085.php

...however, I'm pretty sure he got all the pieces lined up here:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1185.php

IIRC Amber hinted that their meeting wouldn't necessarily be a happy one.  But that was a long time ago and things might have changed since (including my remembering).

joshofspam

B.O.B. certainly isn't the nicest thing to happen to the Lost Lake cast.

To be perfectly honest, I really can't blame Abel or Wildy for this turn of events. They both had very good reasons for their positions in this three way argument.

But now we're learning once they get Gen out of the tree, they might come back with a whole guild or maybe they might even try to get Kria's help so they can bypass the problem Jyrras brings up.

I wonder how Ducky is going to take all of this?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Lying Foo

Quote from: justacritic on September 28, 2012, 10:05:44 AMI don't Abel knows it was Kria that killed Devin, makes it rather awkward having your victim as your extended family.

He's had 375 years to put two and two together.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

justacritic

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 28, 2012, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: justacritic on September 28, 2012, 10:05:44 AMI don't Abel knows it was Kria that killed Devin, makes it rather awkward having your victim as your extended family.

He's had 375 years to put two and two together.
Oh please you think any number years can allow a cubi to do boring maths?

Naldru

Kria didn't kill Devin.  She didn't kill anyone that day

If Jyrras calls Lorenda, her mother might be curious as to what happened.  If Lorenda says "Abel was injured at Lost Lake" and Kria replies "I used to know an Abel.  He'd be about four hundred years old now", the truth might dawn.  If the adventurer's guild comes and runs into Pyroduck ("They hurt Alexis"), Kria ("They hurt Abel"), Lorenda, Mab, MACE in the gryphon mech, Jyrras and his farming and mining implements, not to mention Wildy, the BOB may start quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail:  "Run away.  Run away."
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on September 28, 2012, 05:21:22 PM
Kria didn't kill Devin.  She didn't kill anyone that day

Yeah, but she was part of the group (Kria herself saying something like "Boy, I took you out of this world and put you back in it.  Don't make me repeat step 1!")
And depending on how much Abel overheard in the hospital, he may have caught Fa'lina's implication that Kria did do it.  Personally I think it may be telling that Abel never tried to return to Zinvth after his studies were essentially completed, even after he learned that Aniz was killed by Ti'Fiona and despite the fact that he may well have a sizeable inheritance to claim.

Wanderer

Hmm... trouble coming.

Quote from: Amber's RantMan...I'm totally getting that cool effect where the screen of my monitor looks really really close up even though I know I'm far from it...it's like a personal zoom button...so wacky. And now I probably sound like a stoner so I think I'm gonna stop typing for now.
Odd, the reverse of that is what usually happens to me: things that are rather close somehow look far away.

Turnsky

Wildy's reaction is acceptable given all that's transpired, she's most likely in "damage control" mode more than anything else.

However i still feel that while we haven't heard the last of the B.O.B's, their worries are far from over... you just don't expect to attack the local tavernkeep and not have it taken out of your hides, after all.. which should make it amusing if they ever pop on around for a drink..

Awkward and giant hammers.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

YawnPB

Hmm, when a group has to retreat they report to the guild that they need back-up.  Would this only be for an official guild mission though?  I was under the impression that this was a free-lance revenge killing thing.  I could easily be wrong again though.

Perhaps she is thinking worse case scenario.  That they logged this as an official quest, and would be following standard protocol.  Though with the methods and skill they have employed so far, it's a wonder Nite has kept his party alive for so long. 

Then again the adage "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst" is probably the smartest thing the Lost Lake cast can do.
Lurkus Wallflowerus

maus_merryjest

Alexi is going to go completely nuclear once she wakes up. The BOB got the upper edge by catching her by surprise... now that she'll be expecting them to come back with reinforcements...

This will be interesting.

Ignuus66

Quote from: maus_merryjest on September 30, 2012, 12:06:16 AM
Alexi is going to go completely nuclear once she wakes up. The BOB got the upper edge by catching her by surprise... now that she'll be expecting them to come back with reinforcements...

This will be interesting.
To be fair, the BoB might not come back and just try to wait Abel out (they dont know that he hates being outside)

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 30, 2012, 05:36:27 AM
To be fair, the BoB might not come back and just try to wait Abel out (they dont know that he hates being outside)

I'm not sure that would work either.  They're not in a good position, because if anything now happens to Abel, Jyrras will assume they did it and kill them.  He knows how to locate them through Wildy, and they must know this.
Given that Wildy was trying to ship Abel and Jyrras and is pretty convinced Abel didn't kill Merlitz, I imagine she'd probably want her pound of flesh as well.

Getting reinforcements and storming the place?  Well, they'd have to explain to Talgrove why Wildy's been murdered, Kria, Tina Soulstealer and Moira Gianna why Jyrras (and in Kria's case also Abel) have been murdered, and convincing the Being-Creature council and Fa'Lina that they aren't responsible for the 'Cubi murders would become a whole lot harder.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 30, 2012, 07:49:19 AM
Getting reinforcements and storming the place?
I don't think the BoB would be stupid enough to attack a well fortified building, as they would have a massive disadvantage as they would either have to blow a hole in the wall (which is loud and obvious, allowing for a good Ambush setup which they would have no chance of winning) OR they could enter through the door which Abel could easily set up a magic trap for. In  an attempted siege of the inn the Bob would lose (even with re-enforcements probably), and they probably know this, so they will probably wait...

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2012, 06:27:03 PM
Quote from: Naldru on September 28, 2012, 05:21:22 PM
Kria didn't kill Devin.  She didn't kill anyone that day

Yeah, but she was part of the group (And depending on how much Abel overheard in the hospital, he may have caught Fa'lina's implication that Kria did do it (Kria herself saying something like "Boy, I took you out of this world and put you back in it.  Don't make me repeat step 1!").  Personally I think it may be telling that Abel never tried to return to Zinvth after his studies were essentially completed, even after he learned that Aniz was killed by Ti'Fiona and despite the fact that he may well have a sizeable inheritance to claim.

As DP's quip to Kria stated that day, she failed to take out a single target; based on that context, plus the quote from her above, I'd say Kria IS directly responsible for Devin's death, however unintentional. Whether or not Abel realizes or cares about this point is irrelevant right now..

As for the BoB, Nite apparently realized they were at a huge disadvantage with Jyrras' direct involvement; With the protections his BotY status affords him, they'd have to be totally foolish to continue any assault, as well as not knowing the capabilities of his little ear-piercing friend there.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 30, 2012, 08:43:08 AM
In  an attempted siege of the inn the Bob would lose (even with re-enforcements probably), and they probably know this, so they will probably wait...

Oh, now that's a very interesting idea.  They can exit via the cellar to SAIA, in the worst case.  Both Jyrras and Wildy have taken that route.  It remains to be seen whether Fa'Lina would let them in, even with Abel, but it's a last resort option.

EDIT: Or more disturbingly, the BOB might be able to enter Lost Lake that way.

Treesong

One thing nobody seems to have brought up: with the drawn-back mouth and narrowed eyes and claws and all, Wildy looks angrier in the third panel than I ever recall seeing her before. Even her hair looks angry. Yeah, she's all teeth in the previous post's last panel, but somehow she doesn't scare me as much there.

Assamite

First of all:
Hi all, I freshly registered to join in those fascinating conversations after half a year of lurking.
I hope i'll add to conversations in a productive and intelligent manner.

Now on the topic of the last update:
So... Wildy is worried they'll bring a while guild with them next time? Wouldn't it make sense for the BOB to request aid from the nearest guild? I'm only guessing here, but that might also be the guild where Dan and Edward are registered... and both seem to be pretty well known adventurers. Moreover I seem to remember that the first meeting of Edward and Destania, in the very same inn, had quite a loot of onlookers, and at least some of them had to be adventurers too.
What i really want to say is:
Wouldnt their report yield results like: "You backstabbed Edward Ti'fionas daugther with a magic stun crystal? Because she might've been a 'cubi? I can assure you she's fully able to handle a 'cubi. And if there actually is one, it's there because thats where she put it. So... what do you think about hammers..?"
Or from a senior who knows about Destania: "Yeah there are 'cubi there. One is registered here(if he knows a thing about cubi procreation... see demonology) and the other one is married to one of us. Do you have anything beside a vague direction pointing to this area that one of them might be the culprit? Proof they are the only 'cubi around? No?... "

Wow what a wall of text for a first post. Thats kinda what crossed my mind how this might go. And a cookie for all those who endured and actually read my rant  :mowcookie

Ignuus66

Quote from: Assamite on October 01, 2012, 08:30:20 AM
First of all:
Hi all, I freshly registered to join in those fascinating conversations after half a year of lurking.
I hope i'll add to conversations in a productive and intelligent manner.

Now on the topic of the last update:
So... Wildy is worried they'll bring a while guild with them next time? Wouldn't it make sense for the BOB to request aid from the nearest guild? I'm only guessing here, but that might also be the guild where Dan and Edward are registered... and both seem to be pretty well known adventurers. Moreover I seem to remember that the first meeting of Edward and Destania, in the very same inn, had quite a loot of onlookers, and at least some of them had to be adventurers too.
Welcome to the forum.

back on topic: They have high ranks in the guild, If I remember correctly, so they probably give the commands.

Bruinthor

It seems unlikely to me that the local chapter of the adventures guild will be anything other than
hostile to the BOB. Given that Edward, Dan and Wildy's past/current association and their connection
to Lost Lake I would guess the reaction would be "You attack who because of what?' (add to this JY
and Wildy's reports and the recent Cubi murders). I doubt braking the truce is going to be looked
on favourably either. The BOB at a minmum should have checked with the locals first to prevent
precisely to avoid fighting with members of the local chapter. If the BOB had checked in first they
would have known they were almost certainly wrong about Alexi

AmigaDragon

I don't think the BoB would be stupid enough to attack a well fortified building,

Fortified?! It's an inn, not a fort.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ignuus66

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 18, 2012, 01:04:35 AM
I don't think the BoB would be stupid enough to attack a well fortified building,

Fortified?! It's an inn, not a fort.
Fortified meaning it has 1 or 2 exits, and can be EASILY defended in case of an attack, you do know that around 50 Soviet snipers/anti tanks in the battle of Stalingrad defended a blown up apartment for a month against the 4th panzer division and the 6th german army without getting any re-enforcements.