31/08/12 [DMFA #1333] - Down again

Started by Tapewolf, August 31, 2012, 03:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I guess it's time for Jyrras to come up the stairs and see Alexsi and Abel both prone on the ground.  I don't see Wildy being terribly impressed either.

I wonder what they're planning?  Leave both of them on the floor in the inn while they take Wildy away?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Nino

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 31, 2012, 03:52:23 AM
I guess it's time for Jyrras to come up the stairs and see Alexsi and Abel both prone on the ground.  I don't see Wildy being terribly impressed either.

I wonder what they're planning?  Leave both of them on the floor in the inn while they take Wildy away?

Why would they leave Abel when they just said they weren't going to trust that Abel would still be there when they got back? After all, assuming they really thought he was a bad creature, why would they assume taking Wildy would give him enough incentive to stay?

Unless you're saying he'd still be passed out when they got back, but I assumed that the trip would take a little longer than that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Nino on August 31, 2012, 03:56:47 AM
Unless you're saying he'd still be passed out when they got back, but I assumed that the trip would take a little longer than that.

That's what I was thinking, yes.

Plotting

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 31, 2012, 03:52:23 AM

Considering that they went there to commit murder (revenge killing, murder, all the same to me), I don't think leaving them both on the floor would be out of the question for the B-O-B.

I also am a little skeptical about Neph or whats-his-name really wanting Abel to "work" with them - I think its more likely a case of "do as we say and try not to complain too much or else".

TacticalError

Couldn't they lug Abel to the guild while he's out?

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on August 31, 2012, 07:21:15 AM

I did wonder.  Pity they KO'd him, though - I can imagine the interview would be kind of interesting.

"Name?"             "Abel Siar."

"Date of birth?"    "??/??/1590."

"Oh, that's today!"

"Yeah, and so far my birthday consisted of having these idiots try to murder my boss and then me."

Grey Wolf

Can you imagine the size of the apology fruit basket the B-O-B is going to need to send Abel after this?

Dear Able Aibell Aybul Incubus at Lost Lake,

Sorry for almost killing your boss, taking you for a murderer, knocking you unconscious and humiliating you, and generally ruining your birthday.
Please accept this token of our apology.

Sincerely,
Genesis, Nitemyste, Peg, and Skirmish
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Plotting

Quote from: Grey Wolf on August 31, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
Can you imagine the size of the apology fruit basket the B-O-B is going to need to send Abel after this?

Even if they did apologize (I can't personally see it happening) do you think Abel would accept it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Grey Wolf on August 31, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
Sorry for almost killing your boss, taking you for a murderer, knocking you unconscious and humiliating you, and generally ruining your birthday.

Abel found a card for Merlitz (so he -might- accept an apology since he's been in a very similar position), so I imagine there's probably a row of those at the card shop too.

joshofspam

Theirs also another interesting thing to consider.

Their saying there taking him in until they prove otherwise he not the murderer. But I wonder just what that implies.

Does it mean they keep him under lock and key indefinitely until they find the murderer or does it mean that they kill him if they find no leads, even if the evidence and proof make their case flimsy at best?

It certainly won't help his level of trust in them.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on August 31, 2012, 10:39:13 AM
Their saying there taking him in until they prove otherwise he not the murderer. But I wonder just what that implies.

I'm not sure about that.  They wanted to take Wildy in to verify that she's really Wildy (though how, I have no idea - what if the real Wildy was a 'Cubi, for the sake of argument?).[/quote]

QuoteIt certainly won't help his level of trust in them.
That's for sure.

Now what they might do is have two of them go off to check Wildy, and leave two to guard Alexsi and Abel.  But I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when Mab comes back.

EDIT:

Oh, one thing that has occurred to me is that Abel's backstory hasn't really been touched on much in the main comic.  It's possible that this might be the chapter where some of that comes out, for the benefit of people who didn't want to read Abel's Story.

Keleth

Nothing says we're honest and well intentioned than sucker punching you in the back and acting like villains from 80's movies.
Help! I'm gay!

TacticalError

Quote from: Drathorin on August 31, 2012, 03:17:52 PM
Nothing says we're honest and well intentioned than sucker punching you in the back and acting like villains from 80's movies.

Well, Abel seemed to be headed towards violent threats, so that course of action seems sensible from the BOB's point of view.

Keleth

Quote from: TacticalError on August 31, 2012, 03:43:48 PM

Well, Abel seemed to be headed towards violent threats, so that course of action seems sensible from the BOB's point of view.

So telling someone they committed assault for no reason, and they should GTFO for being dumb... Gives them the right to be assaulted by the retarded person some more?

Man, I should apply this sort of logic the next time I go Barhopping.

Edit: Fixed terrible grammar.
Help! I'm gay!

TacticalError

Quote from: Drathorin on August 31, 2012, 04:35:51 PM

So telling someone they committed assault for no reason, and they should GTFO for being dumb... Gives them the right to be assaulted by the retarded person some more?

Abel's (and therefore, most of the reader's) point of view: Pretty much what you said.

The BOB's point of view: A 'Cubi (and they're already biased against creatures) whom they've never encountered before, who has pretty good reason (the word of an oracle) to have killed an adventurer, who is now telling them that they're all idiots.

While it doesn't make sense to someone (the all-knowing readers) who knows everything that's going on, it makes perfect sense to the BOB to backstab him, as his defense is basically him saying "I know I'm right and you're idiots."

Keleth

Quote from: TacticalError on August 31, 2012, 04:58:47 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on August 31, 2012, 04:35:51 PM

Abel's (and therefore, most of the reader's) point of view: Pretty much what you said.

The BOB's point of view: A 'Cubi (and they're already biased against creatures) whom they've never encountered before, who has pretty good reason (the word of an oracle) to have killed an adventurer, who is now telling them that they're all idiots.

While it doesn't make sense to someone (the all-knowing readers) who knows everything that's going on, it makes perfect sense to the BOB to backstab him, as his defense is basically him saying "I know I'm right and you're idiots."

So it's good to know they basically prove everyone's opinion of them valid.

AKA. Our Honor extends to hitting you in the back. And Attacking civilians, we'll prove we're not like that, by doing it again.
Help! I'm gay!

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 31, 2012, 07:27:19 AM
Quote from: TacticalError on August 31, 2012, 07:21:15 AM

I did wonder.  Pity they KO'd him, though - I can imagine the interview would be kind of interesting.

"Name?"             "Abel Siar."

"Date of birth?"    "??/??/1590."

"Oh, that's today!"

"Yeah, and so far my birthday consisted of having these idiots try to murder my boss and then me."

oh how i would love to see that happen. and the reasulting reaction.

joshofspam

I wonder how this is going to effect relations between the people of Lost Lake and those members of BOB?

I wonder if it's uncommon for adventurers of a different area to be lynched by the adventurers and residents of the area?

Not to mention the murderer is still on the prowl.

Darron Ranston

Okay, there seems to be some loss of perspective here... The group of so called "Adventurers" were standing over the innocent woman they had assaulted and were about to murder simply on suspicion, and I know horsey boy protested, but I get the distinct feeling he wasn't gonna take too much convincing to join the "Kill Alexsi" club.

It doesn't matter how good their intentions are, they've crossed a line and attacked a fellow being from the shadows without proof or provocation and when Jyrras shows up with his homemade kill-bot with the built in hurt-locker (the one that freaked out Abel so effectively) then the BOB will finally get some perspective of their own, as well as hospital bills.

joshofspam

Let's see, Mab and Ducky might be on the way back with the cake.

Jyrras might be able to call Macy and have her come over or even Jyrras might have some of his new fire arms in his possession.

While all those are uncertainties, the one really big uncertainty is the basement rats. But we haven't seen them in a while. So they might not even be living in that basement ant more.

I guess a big question everyone is asking themselves is who's going to confront BOB now or how Far BOB is going to make it out the front door?

Though it might be fun watching Kria go through a rampage in the Adventurers headquarters to free Abel. :)

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on August 31, 2012, 09:30:21 PM
Let's see, Mab and Ducky might be on the way back with the cake.

My guess is that Pyroduck will return after the BOB have left, because he might be able to interpret the Oracle's statement, having been brought up by the Oracles and lived with them for quite some time.
While he seems to have flubbed the sink riddle, he's far more likely to be able to make sense of what they say than anyone else present with the possible exception of Mab and she'll probably be content to play dumb even if she knows.

Drakkenmensch

Sooooooooo they went through this whole charade trying to convince Wildy and Abel that no, they're NOT in fact trying to lead Abel into a deathtrap and please bind your reputation into defending him, and then go and do THIS?

Oh yeah, Wildy's going to be REALLY wanting to help them now.  /sarcasm

Zeb

Quote from: Darron Ranston on August 31, 2012, 08:14:25 PM
Okay, there seems to be some loss of perspective here... The group of so called "Adventurers" were standing over the innocent woman they had assaulted and were about to murder simply on suspicion, and I know horsey boy protested, but I get the distinct feeling he wasn't gonna take too much convincing to join the "Kill Alexsi" club.

It doesn't matter how good their intentions are, they've crossed a line and attacked a fellow being from the shadows without proof or provocation and when Jyrras shows up with his homemade kill-bot with the built in hurt-locker (the one that freaked out Abel so effectively) then the BOB will finally get some perspective of their own, as well as hospital bills.

Except they didn't know this one was innocent, from their prospective from their last visit was that this gal was 100% Cubi with 100% Cubi magics.

This started from their visit back when they came to lost lake originally, where they met "Merlitz" (Abel) and "Alexsi" (Dan), now while they were there they identified Alexsi as completely covered in Cubi Magic, and that Merlitz there and okay with it means they didn't need to do anything, and then they leave and go on to do other adventuring things.. Later on they find out that Merlitz is gone, and with that discovery find him dead, and with this knowledge have gone to an Oracle to try to figure out what happened.

However the Oracle, a bit peeved about having to answer questions on her lunch break gave a very clear and concise answer, which is "Cubi at Lost Lake". Their reasoning puts up "Alexsi" + Merlitz = Dead Merlitz, and thus don't have any understanding that they actually attacked a being at all.

In fact nobody has told them that the person they attacked wasn't a Cubi, except for Abel's "I'm the only Cubi at Lost Lake", and armed with knowledge from the Oracle , continued fighting against the person they think killed their former friend, and the loss of a person can do funny things to a persons mental state and their judgements.

Techcubi

Technically, Aary's been to Lost Lake, right?

Starcat5

Quote from: Techcubi on September 01, 2012, 10:23:19 AM
Technically, Aary's been to Lost Lake, right?
She's been to the Lost Lake Inn. We still do not know if she's ever been to Lost Lake itself.  >:3

Someone a few threads ago said that when a Phoenix speaks the most plainly, that is when you need to be the most worried about hidden meanings, and I agree.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Lying Foo

Still think the Phoenix's riddle is solved here.  If, because of Dan, he'd have been dead a month ago without Abel's intervention, and he hasn't really benefited from Abel's intervention since the breakup, how could his death not be Dan's fault?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Pvblivs

QuoteHowever the Oracle, a bit peeved about having to answer questions on her lunch break gave a very clear and concise answer, which is "Cubi at Lost Lake".

The Oracle said "Cubi from Lost Lake" not "at."  This is important because Merlitz clearly did not die at Lost Lake.

At any rate, I'm not very impressed with these adventurers since simply inspiring Merlitz to take up adventuring again (leading to his death) would be enough to fit that Oracle.

Darron Ranston

Quote from: Zeb on September 01, 2012, 08:37:11 AM
Quote from: Darron Ranston on August 31, 2012, 08:14:25 PM

Except they didn't know this one was innocent, from their prospective from their last visit was that this gal was 100% Cubi with 100% Cubi magics.

This started from their visit back when they came to lost lake originally, where they met "Merlitz" (Abel) and "Alexsi" (Dan), now while they were there they identified Alexsi as completely covered in Cubi Magic, and that Merlitz there and okay with it means they didn't need to do anything, and then they leave and go on to do other adventuring things.. Later on they find out that Merlitz is gone, and with that discovery find him dead, and with this knowledge have gone to an Oracle to try to figure out what happened.

However the Oracle, a bit peeved about having to answer questions on her lunch break gave a very clear and concise answer, which is "Cubi at Lost Lake". Their reasoning puts up "Alexsi" + Merlitz = Dead Merlitz, and thus don't have any understanding that they actually attacked a being at all.

In fact nobody has told them that the person they attacked wasn't a Cubi, except for Abel's "I'm the only Cubi at Lost Lake", and armed with knowledge from the Oracle , continued fighting against the person they think killed their former friend, and the loss of a person can do funny things to a persons mental state and their judgements.

And what exactly did you think I meant by  "Simply on Suspicion"? Let's face it, this wasn't the storming of DP's lair, this was the BOB breaking into Lost Lake Inn and shooting Alexsi in the back with a magic taser and not bothering to even ask if she was a cubi until there was a sword to her throat.

I am perfectly cognizant of the events that led up to their belief that a cubi Lost Lake was responsible and that Alexsi was a cubi. I am not disputing their beliefs and motivations and I acknowledge that their PERSPECTIVE maybe a bit skewed because of the alleged death of Merlitz, but the fact remains that ALEXSI is innocent and even if she was a cubi, she would still be innocent.

I honestly don't know what it is you're trying to argue here. No matter what they believe they are in the wrong, like alot of people in real life who believed something absolutely and thought murder was the appropriate response. I just hope that Abel doesn't pay the ultimate price for their beliefs.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on September 01, 2012, 11:39:35 AM
If, because of Dan, he'd have been dead a month ago without Abel's intervention, and he hasn't really benefited from Abel's intervention since the breakup, how could his death not be Dan's fault?

I'm not sure I buy that.  Destania's fault, yes because she is trying to wipe the dragons from Furrae somehow.
Cyra's fault, yes, because she sparked the war (though it would probably have happened anyway).

Dan has no idea what's going on, everyone who does has decided not to clue him in for some reason that remains unclear.  I can't see how he can be blamed for that.

Nino

You know, I notice how hard everyone (or a lot of you) are being on the B.O.B. for their 'racism'. But Abel here is being a GIANT hypocrite for asking them to not judge him based on being a Cubi, considering he also attacked and tried to kill Pyroduck without warning based completely on him being a dragon - without evidence, without asking anyone about him. So I'm not really sure if he's much better.