17/08/12 [DMFA #1331] - I'd bank his life on it.

Started by MT Hazard, August 17, 2012, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on August 19, 2012, 01:51:28 AM
If I remember correctly, that particular achievement wasn't one he was enthusiastic about.

Yes, it's an example of a bad adventurer reputation.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

e_voyager

i Don't remember that strip at all.... but while looking for it i did discover this one which made me wonder about merlitz again.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on August 19, 2012, 11:21:29 AM
i Don't remember that strip at all.... but while looking for it i did discover this one which made me wonder about merlitz again.

This one?  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_894.php

Lying Foo

...a guard?  That seems like a funny hangup for an adventurer in this world...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on August 19, 2012, 12:25:43 PM
...a guard?  That seems like a funny hangup for an adventurer in this world...

Well Dan is just starting out as an adventurer, so he's bound to start learning that certain rules in polite society don't apply every time to the situations that an adventurer will face.

Then again, polite society can be veiwed as nothing more then a conferting illusion that falls apart when someone who falls outside its veiws inters the picture.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Nino

It's weird to think of it this way, but if Aniz hadn't been killed previously, Abel might have been doing some murdering on this very day. I mean, obviously he wouldn't have killed Merlitz either way, but if he were able to and had gone through with his plan, Wildy would be in trouble if she had said yes. After all, they're asking her to bank her reputation on his status as a murderer, and not just on his responsibility for this specific one.

It's a moot point, but kind of interesting to think about - especially if you then wonder if Abel would have been able to go through with it had he had the option.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Nino on August 20, 2012, 01:57:34 AM
It's weird to think of it this way, but if Aniz hadn't been killed previously, Abel might have been doing some murdering on this very day. I mean, obviously he wouldn't have killed Merlitz either way, but if he were able to and had gone through with his plan, Wildy would be in trouble if she had said yes.

To most adventurers, Aniz was basically a monster(*) and had a price on his head with Zinvth and possibly Jin as well.  That should therefore count as adventuring rather than murder, something Nitemyst couldn't easily counter without also saying that he and his group are serial murderers.

(*)Personally, I still say insanity should be a defence

KiloFoxx

Abel HAS been at school the last 380-or-so years... and judging from Destania's reaction "He actually LEFT???" he dosn't leave much, if at all. other than murdering another 'cubi at SAIA (which i'm sure would aquire untold wrath from Fa'Llina) Abel hasn't exactly been in a position to murder ANYone. and he's been pretty much always accounted for at Lost lake. i think it's VERY safe to say he hasn't murdered anyone yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: KiloFoxx on August 20, 2012, 04:29:28 AM
other than murdering another 'cubi at SAIA (which i'm sure would aquire untold wrath from Fa'Llina)
I very much doubt she'd have allowed it at all.  It may have been his plan to leave when Aniz left and ambush him outside (assuming SAIA has a single drop-off point).

QuoteAbel hasn't exactly been in a position to murder ANYone. and he's been pretty much always accounted for at Lost lake. i think it's VERY safe to say he hasn't murdered anyone yet.

It may be that he still thinks he killed Devin... hard to say.

Lying Foo

It's weird to think of it this way, but if Aniz hadn't been killed previously, Abel might have been doing some murdering on this very day. I mean, obviously he wouldn't have killed Merlitz either way, but if he were able to and had gone through with his plan, Wildy would be in trouble if she had said yes. After all, they're asking her to bank her reputation on his status as a murderer, and not just on his responsibility for this specific one.

It's a moot point, but kind of interesting to think about - especially if you then wonder if Abel would have been able to go through with it had he had the option.

They're vigilantes.  Although without an immediate threat it would be considered murder in our world, that kind of "murder" is what they, and Dan and Wildy, do.  It's what they've come here to do.  With all Aniz is done, they wouldn't use the word.

(Corollary: They won't use it for whoever kills Destania, either.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on August 20, 2012, 09:15:25 AM

They're vigilantes.  Although without an immediate threat it would be considered murder in our world, that kind of "murder" is what they, and Dan and Wildy, do.  It's what they've come here to do.  With all Aniz is done, they wouldn't use the word.

(Corollary: They won't use it for whoever kills Destania, either.)

There's another interesting point to think on this.

Being the competent investigator adventurer she is and living/fighting with some creatures might give her an idea of just how BOB will take this coarse to it's conclusion. She might be worried about the competence of these other Adventurers.

After all, the Phoenix only said "lost lake" and not "lost lake inn" and if Ducky gives out riddled answers ussually, that would probably go double for the Phoenix's as well. If they jumped conclusions there, what's to stop them from making more later?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

TacticalError

Quote from: joshofspam on August 20, 2012, 02:42:12 PM
If they jumped conclusions there, what's to stop them from making more later?

As said by the subtext in this http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1274.php strip, jumping to conclusions and the well known "shoot swords first, questions later" is standard adventurer practice (doubly so with a group with the nickname "The Blunt Object Brigade"). In fact, I'd say it's standard being practice with regards to creature activities. Slightest bit of evidence that might incriminate a creature, pitchforks and torches follow.

Lying Foo

There is no doubt in my mind that any adventurer, Dan and Wildy included, has killed a number of more or less innocent Creatures.  But the killing of Beings by Demons, Dragons, and Cubi doesn't seem to even bother the Beings who know the killers, let alone their own more peaceful brethren, as long as they don't already know the victim or get their own hands dirty, so I see no need for the adventurers to get too hung up about collateral damage.  It's a tough world.

Pvblivs

Quote(doubly so with a group with the nickname "The Blunt Object Brigade")

In all fairness, the only one who has called them that in-universe is Abel.  On the other hand, attacking the owner of an inn at her establishment who also happens to be the child of a former adventurer (how well known was Edward?) is probably not going to help their future reputations much.  The adventurer's guild won't care much that they attacked Abel.  But it might care very much that they attacked Alexsi.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pvblivs on August 21, 2012, 02:11:03 AM
In all fairness, the only one who has called them that in-universe is Abel.  On the other hand, attacking the owner of an inn at her establishment who also happens to be the child of a former adventurer (how well known was Edward?) is probably not going to help their future reputations much.  The adventurer's guild won't care much that they attacked Abel.  But it might care very much that they attacked Alexsi.

Not only that, but she's the sister of Daniel Ti'Fiona, a renown adventurer who is fiercely protective of his sister.  It wouldn't compromise Dan to mention that Abel was assigned to protect her while Dan was off on a quest, and they'll be in deep doo if he's told they tried to murder her.

e_voyager

that they would be but is it know that Dan's mother is a know succubus? and can Dan kill them for that or what that make him a wanted person on the monster list?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on August 22, 2012, 03:45:03 AM
that they would be but is it know that Dan's mother is a know succubus? and can Dan kill them for that or what that make him a wanted person on the monster list?

DP knows.  AFAIK, most people seem to have assumed Destania and Dan are Beings of Angel descent, though.  She may not have hidden her backwings, but the headwings were probably only known to her family.

Another dimension to the Being vs Creature thing is environment.  People like Abel or Dan, born in a Being area with wings and brought up as a Being seem to be accepted as 'a Being with wings'.  Moving into a new area could make things ugly, and it's not known how the locals would have reacted had Abel lived undisturbed in his home village for 50 years and not aged.

Likewise, a Creature-run territory is not going to care much about Creatures unless they cause trouble and at the same time, Beings seem to get a reasonable deal out of it.

e_voyager

So if i understand what you're saying that Destania was a succubus was not well known aside form those adventures whom Edward stopped from attacker her the day they met.  i was thinking about Alexi's story  and you're right that Dan's flashback to Dark Pegasus's reaction when he found out that Dan was Destania's son was part of what was on my mind. What does AFAIK mean btw?

(Gah my grammar was horrible there. i know i was just in from work and sleepy but wow.  spellchecker aside i'm surprised some of the sentience i write when i'm tired are even barely remediable. )

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on August 22, 2012, 06:20:02 AM
So if i understand what you're saying that Destania was a succubus was not well known aside form those adventures whom Edward stopped from attacker her the day they met.

Pretty much.  I'm sure I remember Amber saying at one point that they assumed she was a Being with Angel blood in her ancestry.
In any case, Dan has gone unmolested for long enough so far, that maintaining the impression to his fellow adventurers that he's mostly Being shouldn't be too hard.  After all, Wildy basically did that with Cale.  No-one needs to know the reason he's not around and Dan prefers to hide his headwings anyway.

Quotei was thinking about Alexi's story  and you're right that Dan's flashback to Dark Pegasus's reaction when he found out that Dan was Destania's son was part of what was on my mind. What does AFAIK mean btw?

As Far As I Know.

Lying Foo

At the very least, however many people around Lost Lake knew better, Edward was officially married to a Being named Desiree Star.  ("The Star that shines...")

I really would love to see the context for Dark Pegasus realizing Dan is Destania's son, though...

e_voyager

Lying Foo