14/07/2012 [DMFA #1323] Free party for Wildy!

Started by Ignuus66, July 13, 2012, 07:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcblade

"Heeeeeeere's Wildy!"   >:3

Love the Wildy-expression.  "Unholy glee" is how I'd describe it.  Most excellent. And rightfully terror-inducing.

I'm quite pleased to see Abel holding his own here against two adventurers.  He did a good job of KOing one of the adventuring group at the start of the fight, but three's still a bit much for one person to deal with.  

Now vaguely wondering how Wildy mixes magic and hand-to-hand combat.  With the exception of one gestalt monk/sorcerer, magic always seemed to be a ranged type thing, and melee combat, well, y'know.  Can't whack a dude unless you're right next to him.  Shame this'll probably be a short fight.  Abel's obviously no slouch, and Wildy, well...  Suffice to say the numerical odds might favor the adventurers, but I'd bet on Wildy and Abel.  ^__^

maus_merryjest

Drako

I'm still not convinced that Merl's old group were the ones responsible for the other 'Cubi murders.  They may not necessarily be some of the brightest crayons in the box, but I really doubt that they're malicious, either.  They at least seem to be the type to ask questions first, before doing something else.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 14, 2012, 10:56:32 AM
Quote from: Wanderer on July 14, 2012, 10:43:48 AM
Yet Aaryanna wandered around Lost Lake as a blatant Succubus for quite some time without any trouble. It seems to be a well-established creature-friendly zone.

It's quite likely that the present trouble was caused by her being seen at the inn, i.e. the "reports of 'Cubi activity" mentioned by Nitemyst's group earlier on in the comic

EDIT: Though the inn itself, definitely.  Note the little banners - they seem to depict the major races in a stylised fashion.

Thouh another thing to consider is that being "friends" of Merlitz, they might have more personal reasons for being here.

Though depending how the propaganda machine is rolling in the area or where they come from these days and what Genesis shared with the group when she got back from her drunken escapades. Being a "creature" or a "being" might be the furthest thing from their minds.

Though considering how Abel is doing and how Aaryanna's fight with Dan was going. I don't think she would have lasted nearly as long as Abel is against this group.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Techcubi

Think Ferrets are more than they appear to be? After all...

Ignuus66

Quote from: joshofspam on July 14, 2012, 12:14:07 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on July 14, 2012, 10:43:48 AM
Yet Aaryanna wandered around Lost Lake as a blatant Succubus for quite some time without any trouble. It seems to be a well-established creature-friendly zone.

It's quite likely that the present trouble was caused by her being seen at the inn, i.e. the "reports of 'Cubi activity" mentioned by Nitemyst's group earlier on in the comic

EDIT: Though the inn itself, definitely.  Note the little banners - they seem to depict the major races in a stylised fashion.

Thouh another think to consider is that being "friends" of Merlitz, they might have more personal reasons for being here.

Though depending how the propaganda machine is rolling in the area or where they come from these days and what Genesis shared with the group when she got back from her drunken escapades. Being a "creature" or a "being" might be the furthest thing from their minds.

Though considering how Abel is doing and how Aaryanna's fight with Dan was going. I don't think she would have lasted nearly as long as Abel is against this group.
Remember that ary Uses her tentacles to grapple (good against single targets), and when she attacked dan, he had no weapon with him Then remember that abel is trying to fight while causing the least blood- Thus blunt weapons. Ary is said to be terrible in a fight.

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drako on July 14, 2012, 11:42:51 AM
I'm still not convinced that Merl's old group were the ones responsible for the other 'Cubi murders.  They may not necessarily be some of the brightest crayons in the box, but I really doubt that they're malicious, either.  They at least seem to be the type to ask questions first, before doing something else.

I dunno.  The vibe I'm getting is that if it had been Dan standing alone there instead of Alexsi, they'd have cut off his head without any hesitation.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

With Wildy in tow, this is gonna be good! >:3

*pulls out a lawn chair* :popcorn

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 14, 2012, 01:27:17 PM
I dunno.  The vibe I'm getting is that if it had been Dan standing alone there instead of Alexsi, they'd have cut off his head without any hesitation.

I'm getting that vibe myself. Normally, when a cubi passes out any shapeshifting that has been done is reversed. Remember, when Abel ended up naked after passing out at Jyrras', after he had initially shapeshifted himself some clothes. I'd say the reason they hesitated was because the wings didn't appear as they normally should after passing out, so they treaded on the side of caution in order to not make a mistake. They think she is a cubi shapeshifted in disguise, after all.

Naldru

I've heard of joie de vivre, but it appears that Wildy demonstrates joie de guerre.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sofox

Quote from: Techcubi on July 14, 2012, 12:15:28 PM
Think Ferrets are more than they appear to be? After all...

*sigh* Yeah, it seemed obvious who the person in the 3rd panel was, then Amber goes and pulls this on us.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sofox on July 14, 2012, 02:47:17 PM
*sigh* Yeah, it seemed obvious who the person in the 3rd panel was, then Amber goes and pulls this on us.

The Being-Creature council?  You may find that's not the same thing as the Creature Council.

Bruinthor

Destania lived at Lost Lake for years and a least some of the community knew she is a succubus. That didn't stir up any known problems. I don't see that Aaryanna's brief presence is likely to have caused much comment. Given the broom swat to chase off her hair bat it seems that some folks neither knew or cared that Aary was cubi.

It seem more likely that Hizell is stirring up trouble. Genesis4's jealousy pushed the rest of the B-O-B into ill-conceived blitz attack on Alexsi.

Not much has been presented about the community around Lost Lake but by implication it is tolerant of creatures. At least some Demons, Fae and Mythos are shown wandering around openly. I would guess that the B-O-B is in for trouble even if they don't hurt someone else or kill someone (and of course assuming they survive).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bruinthor on July 14, 2012, 03:10:34 PM
It seem more likely that Hizell is stirring up trouble. Genesis4's jealousy pushed the rest of the B-O-B into ill-conceived blitz attack on Alexsi.

It did occur to me that Hizell may, through a chain of intermediaries, have commissioned the B-O-B to do a survey for 'Cubi and then exterminate them.

AxiLarin

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 14, 2012, 03:20:26 PM

It did occur to me that Hizell may, through a chain of intermediaries, have commissioned the B-O-B to do a survey for 'Cubi and then exterminate them.

Whoa... that'd be damn clever.  :erk  I can't believe I didn't think of that myself.  If Hizell or other dragons came out in the open and started slaying Cubi, a second full-scale war would erupt immediately.  But if others are hired out or coaxed into killing individual Cubi one at a time on their behalf, the dragons can thin out the ranks before launching an assault.  Verrrry sneaky, sis.

nguard

Well, after reviewing the page some more I have some questions for speculation:
Is Nytemist down for the count? He did get hit pretty hard, and may not have had any creature level buffs on to soak the creature level sucker-punch he got. :erk

On panel five: note the simiarity of abel's takedown of Skirmish and strip #1257 http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1257.php. That looks like a Lisky(tm) move there. What will he do  afterwords, if he wins?

What exactly are the laws in Zivnith W.R.T. adventurer groups and their nominal targets?  Is the need to have a safe environment for the citizens offset by the basic Demon ethos of "rule of might/power", so you are expected to fend for yourself? Or is there some attempt at balance?

Still, this strip is well done, and kudos to amber for both the art and the script-writing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on July 14, 2012, 02:34:12 PM
I'm getting that vibe myself. Normally, when a cubi passes out any shapeshifting that has been done is reversed. Remember, when Abel ended up naked after passing out at Jyrras', after he had initially shapeshifted himself some clothes. I'd say the reason they hesitated was because the wings didn't appear as they normally should after passing out, so they treaded on the side of caution in order to not make a mistake. They think she is a cubi shapeshifted in disguise, after all.

In refutation: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,8048.msg345763.html#msg345763

Of course, the blunt object brigade probably don't know this wrinkle. After all, they thought Dan was a Cubi, while disguised as Alexsi, but totally overlooked Abel, who was just as disguised as Merlitz. So I'd expect them to be fairly well up on operational details, but missing the minor points that make it useful.

Dan was a fairly competent adventurer - after all, he retired, so he's got to be fairly good - and still didn't know that much about Cubi.

EDIT: Though the inn itself, definitely.  Note the little banners - they seem to depict the major races in a stylised fashion.

I was thinking that Alexsi is going to have to repair or replace the one that Skirmish is jamming her spear into...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Bruinthor

Do Zivnith policies apply? Dan appears to be ignorant of the role of the Soulstealer family (#1115). Although Dan can be somewhat oblivious  Also Kria flys to Zivnith from her home (#1292) which I presume is within easy walking distance of Lost Lake

Lurkie

Meet my leeetle friend, the flying ferret OF DOOM!  If I were Gen, I'd be scared, too.  :)

(BTW, I like the way that Genesis is overflowing her dress.  Nice touch, Amber.  Is Gen compensating for something, or just showing off? :) )

Yeah, I've had the same thought.  It certainly seems to me that the Blunt Object Brigade is acting on someone else's behalf.  They could be doing this on their own, of course, but something about this whole situation gives me the feeling that they're not.  And Hizell certainly seems to hold a grudge.  What has it been, 7000 years now?  Yeah, nothing like disproportionate retribution there.

It occurs to me that Mab knew this was coming, and took Pyroduck to the moons just to get him out of the area.  Can you imagine his reaction to seeing a bunch of adventurers standing around the (possibly dead) body of the woman he loves?  Not a pretty picture, no, not at all.  Lovely shades of red, though...  :eek

Quote from: nguard on July 14, 2012, 04:14:46 PM
What exactly are the laws in Zivnith W.R.T. adventurer groups and their nominal targets?  Is the need to have a safe environment for the citizens offset by the basic Demon ethos of "rule of might/power", so you are expected to fend for yourself? Or is there some attempt at balance?

Supposedly, Zinvth is a very safe place to live, guaranteed to be so by the Demon and Mythos families that run the place.  (I forget the Mythos family's name, sorry.)  While the Soulstealers do subscribe to the whole "might makes right" philosophy, they also seem to have a great deal of integrity.  If they say they're going to do something, they'll do it.  So if they promise that the citizens of Zinvth will be safe, I'm sure that Kria and her kin will make sure that they are.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the Powers That Be in Zinvth hire adventuring groups to be their enforcers.  I would guess that Kyle's group is one such.  But it also wouldn't surprise me to find that they get very annoyed with adventurers wandering into their territory and making trouble.  Of course, we don't really know if Lost Lake is within Zinvth's zone of protection or not.  It seems reasonable to me that it is, given that it's an easy walk from Lost Lake to one of the shopping malls in town.  Plus, you can see the skyscrapers of Zinvth from Lost Lake.  But that's still just a guess on my part.
|  Space   ||   Space  ||  It's Hard  ||  A Place  ||  Burma  |
|  is Big  ||  is Dark ||   to Find   ||  to Park  ||  Shave  |

Bruinthor

The Mythos clan is Hiata.  Based on Zinith's response to Aniz's conduct it would seem they take unprovoked violence very seriously indeed.
It occurs to me that the B-O-B are about to get blamed for the recent cubi murders. In which case they are about to become the focus of the unfriendly attention of the Tuan clan (among others).
Does Furrae have a Darwin Award?

joshofspam

The thing I find interesting thinking about that scenario being that the adventurers wouldn't need to be told the truth and just be fed convincing proof.

Of course whether the adventurers know the truth or not, would such a secret group or person acting in such secrecy let pawns live past their usefulness if they could incriminate them? Or even could they be watching now and just waiting to finish the job?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Lying Foo

Quote from: Lurkie on July 14, 2012, 05:35:54 PMIt wouldn't surprise me to find that the Powers That Be in Zinvth hire adventuring groups to be their enforcers.  I would guess that Kyle's group is one such.  But it also wouldn't surprise me to find that they get very annoyed with adventurers wandering into their territory and making trouble.  Of course, we don't really know if Lost Lake is within Zinvth's zone of protection or not.  It seems reasonable to me that it is, given that it's an easy walk from Lost Lake to one of the shopping malls in town.  Plus, you can see the skyscrapers of Zinvth from Lost Lake.  But that's still just a guess on my part.

But a short walk outside of Zinvth is enough for your usual "protectors" to start using you as target practice (or at least it was in the seventeenth century).  All the way to Lost Lake?  Not a chance.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Bruinthor

Some more enemies for the B-O-B: Destania is going to be some kind of angry when she learns of the attack on Alexsi. I doubt Biggs is going to ask for an explanation about how come they where fighting with his sister.
The B-O-B could be their dupes instead of Hizell's, in which cases they are doubly screwed.

maus_merryjest

Then there's this strip: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1279.php

Thing is... Fa'Lina sent Abel out herself, and while she is at the Academy her foresight isn't affected. Did she send Abel willingly to a potential slaughter? And for what purpose?

Wanderer

Quote from: maus_merryjest on July 15, 2012, 01:23:01 AM

Thing is... Fa'Lina sent Abel out herself, and while she is at the Academy her foresight isn't affected. Did she send Abel willingly to a potential slaughter? And for what purpose?

Not quite. Fa'Lina's knowledge of the future works based on how recently the individuals whose future she is looking up were at the academy, not on how recently she herself was there. She no longer knows Abel's future, because he has been outside of the academy for more than a month. She's worried precisely because she doesn't know what's going to happen, and she knows that Abel has a whole bunch of issues that could hamper him if trouble comes.

As for the Blunt Object Brigade... yeah, they've set themselves up for a serious fall this time. There are a large number of really powerful people (both in terms of personal power and political power) who may want to "have a word" with them regarding this attack. Even if they manage to escape this fight, chances are they're going to get crushed.

Plotting

Quote from: Wanderer on July 15, 2012, 01:41:23 AM
Quote from: maus_merryjest on July 15, 2012, 01:23:01 AM

Not quite. Fa'Lina's knowledge of the future works based on how recently the individuals whose future she is looking up were at the academy, not on how recently she herself was there. She no longer knows Abel's future, because he has been outside of the academy for more than a month. She's worried precisely because she doesn't know what's going to happen, and she knows that Abel has a whole bunch of issues that could hamper him if trouble comes.

Actually Fa'Lina can foresee the future of an individual for about two months after they leave SAIA.

I personally think it would come down to how far into an individual's future she can see within the two month time frame, and how accurately she can foresee an individual's future.

My personal guess is that there is no limit to how far into an individual's future, but that the further into an individual's future she sees the less accurate her predictions become. This would be due to unforeseen changes in circumstances, situations, motives, etc. A small, seemingly insignificant change in the present could completely change the future of an individual.

I also would hazard a guess that she can see into an individual's future with greater accuracy if she puts the effort into it. But with hundreds or possibly thousands of Cubi's futures to manipulate (officially for the individual Cubi's best long term interests/advantage) I would imagine that she would have to prioritize. And lets face it, Fa'Lina is not infallible in her actions, and she is only semi-omnipotent.

Lying Foo

...why is everyone saying that Lost Lake is a suburb of Zinvth, anyway?  Or especially that the mall is in Zinvth?  I just ran through the entire main comic, and all but three references to Zinvth I can find are references to the Soulstealer family, who seem to live moderately far from Lost Lake.  Of those three, one is Lorenda specifically saying that Jyrras doesn't normally enjoy the protections Zinvth citizens do.  The only one that seems to suggest the two are anywhere near each other is Kim implying that the incubus was murdered in a "nearby area," if that was in Lost Lake...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Farry

Hmm. That Council of Creatures strip posted by Techcubi and the next one make me wonder if Chicki was their observer rather than the freelance reporter that he claimed to be. That'd explain why his photos don't seem to have been published yet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Lurkie on July 14, 2012, 05:35:54 PM
(BTW, I like the way that Genesis is overflowing her dress.  Nice touch, Amber.  Is Gen compensating for something, or just showing off? :) )

I'd say the latter. After all, Abel was distracted by the amount of crazy they were attached to...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 15, 2012, 05:18:10 AM
...why is everyone saying that Lost Lake is a suburb of Zinvth, anyway?

Because they seem to be within walking/griffon cab distance of each other (remember, Lorenda can't fly and Kria offered her a job there).  Lost Lake certainly seems to be in the outskirts of the Zinvth region, but it might not necessarily be within its borders.

EDIT:

Just spotted this.  To answer your other question, the mall is apparently in Zinvth because that's where Matilda lives and presumably works.  (p.1301)

Ravenscroft

:bunny

hopping with joy for the ferret infestation!

Adventurers routinely seek out death and danger for the glory, the money, the honor blah blah blah. And they seem a little understaffed in the whole "planning things out" department. At first I was miffed, mostly because Gen seemed able to determine that one person had magical shapeshifting stuff over another much closer person, and today she doesn't even seem to notice that Alex isn't covered with magic. But then I thought, Patches! Yes that would explain her lack of caring about the lack of magic, but then what about Merl. Well that comes down to two options, either she really is that stupid and her bungling hasn't cost them so dearly before in their years of traveling together, or does Merl always have magic for shapeshifting around him and they just know about it. I don't see why Gen wouldn't have the hots for Merl too, unless she knew that Merl was actually some sort of something or other ... I dunno maybe shes just into spots not stripes.

Cool idea about the dragon being behind it all.

Cool thought about Jyrras bringing in mecha bunny, but I think Jyrras has a cooler thing available to him, and its name is the deathbringer, bringer of doom and destruction! With a pink aftertaste!

Or maybe Jyrras, being around the crew for some time, might have some authority to speak to them and command their pause.

Oh yeah one last thing concerning Nite: SUCKER PUNCH'D!

I bet Able's wings are stronger than the vast majority of explosions, if I were a Cubi I would engulf others in them, like that black stuff from the Incredibles movie. Bet it would still get me fried but I would totally use the one thing that all others forget entirely about a Cubi's special coolness powers: Warp Aci. Tired of your problems? There's a small tropical island somewhere waiting for you or your enemies, whoever happens to end up in the mouth of an Aci with 90/10 ratio of power with Aci / Cubi respectively .... Could you imagine? Three stories tall Fi, .... Muncha muncha muahahahaha

Gleee! Fi Shirt! Such joy! Thanks Amberlicious! I would have your babies, but you're a chick too....
Oh wow! Uh Yeah Sorry about that turns out I'm quite, quite mad. I'm terribly sorry about the inconvenience of it all. Personally I'm as scared as all of you must be. But on the Plus side I'm not dangerous! Just not to be taken personally.