09/07/2012 [DMFA #1322] - Fortunately not a Dragon

Started by Tapewolf, July 09, 2012, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

I guess all things considered, having Dan and Abel pose as Alexsi and Merlitz is coming back to haunt Abel.

Not that Aary gloating and flaunting how great cubi are really helped in that manner.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: Infranscia on July 10, 2012, 01:56:13 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 10, 2012, 01:16:48 AM
Quote from: Infranscia on July 09, 2012, 08:03:46 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 09, 2012, 10:16:40 AMEDIT: Oh and it's actually 2v1 considering Abel is immune to elements (was mentioned earlyer.
Wait...  Where was this mentioned?
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_667.php Slight bit there.

Huh...  I must have looked right over that tidbit or something...

Still, theres a difference between a resistance and an immunity.  While Gen's attacks may not be as effective as they otherwise will be, I think they would still do something to Abel, even if maybe not much.

Well there was that time where.... "CUBI DON'T OVER-REACT! *baths in fire*"  http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_538.php

Ignuus66

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on July 11, 2012, 02:59:53 AM
Quote from: Infranscia on July 10, 2012, 01:56:13 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 10, 2012, 01:16:48 AM
Quote from: Infranscia on July 09, 2012, 08:03:46 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 09, 2012, 10:16:40 AMEDIT: Oh and it's actually 2v1 considering Abel is immune to elements (was mentioned earlyer.
Wait...  Where was this mentioned?
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_667.php Slight bit there.

Huh...  I must have looked right over that tidbit or something...

Still, theres a difference between a resistance and an immunity.  While Gen's attacks may not be as effective as they otherwise will be, I think they would still do something to Abel, even if maybe not much.

Well there was that time where.... "CUBI DON'T OVER-REACT! *baths in fire*"  http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_538.php
yeah, I'm guessing that he felt the fire as a tingling, Highly resistant meaning he can't make the spell completely null like a were, but he barely feels it, and if he does it does not "hurt".

(credit: Gabi)

Lying Foo

Huh.  So we've got a headless incubus and an actress essentially scalped, both apparently innocent... Light Aliph here is going to "cut" Alexsi, but doesn't say where... I think either way, though, it's safe to say that if they were willing to kill an old friend on the spot, Dan's old adventuring party are past the point of no return, even if they're behind neither.  Although it's possible they or someone else were behind both, if the incubus' mark was on his head - and it's possible that they (or whoever killed him) only left the kids alive because they'd "somehow" come under the misapprehension that it's possible for an incubus' children to be Beings...

Although... I just had an awful thought.  Do we know it wasn't Azlan who killed Mink's mother?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 11, 2012, 07:54:44 AM
Huh.  So we've got a headless incubus and an actress essentially scalped, both apparently innocent... Light Aliph here is going to "cut" Alexsi, but doesn't say where... I think either way, though, it's safe to say that if they were willing to kill an old friend on the spot, Dan's old adventuring party are past the point of no return, even if they're behind neither.  Although it's possible they or someone else were behind both, if the incubus' mark was on his head - and it's possible that they (or whoever killed him) only left the kids alive because they'd "somehow" come under the misapprehension that it's possible for an incubus' children to be Beings...

Although... I just had an awful thought.  Do we know it wasn't Azlan who killed Mink's mother?
to be clear, it's merlitzes old adventuring group, Dan usually went alone or formed a 1 adventure party, and not one that went together on every adventure. The Actress incubus is probably not the victim of the Blunt object brigade. Mink's mother also died AGES ago (we know for certain it was more than 400 years ago) And we know very little about it. (it's also a very minor part, probably included by Amber to show furrae as it really is)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 10, 2012, 09:41:51 AM
meh, that is an ineffective way of fighting considering they can easily duck, I understood that you wanted abel to clap but I didnt see the combat point in it. Also the insult was not neccesary.

It's a little difficult to duck a clap that reaches from your head down to your knees.

Also, even if you miss, there's going to be a heck of a sound wall coming from it, and something of a breeze as well, so anything right next to it is likely to be blown over.

Given Abel's blood phobia, something like that is going to incapacitate without causing massive blood loss - perhaps a bleeding nose at most. So, combat point is to stun without mess.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Lying Foo

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 11, 2012, 08:16:50 AMMink's mother also died AGES ago (we know for certain it was more than 400 years ago)

Hence Azlan.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 11, 2012, 09:59:03 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 11, 2012, 08:16:50 AMMink's mother also died AGES ago (we know for certain it was more than 400 years ago)

Hence Azlan.
Who IS azlan? I dont remember any person called azlan.

Brunhidden

for a moment i thought you were talking about aniz, what with the 400 year comment. although its a shame a once frequently supporting character just falls off the map enough a reader who reads enough to comment on the forum wouldn't remember him.
possibility azlan comes back looking like a centerfold out of a mens fitness magazine and just dominates the landscape?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 11, 2012, 11:32:28 AM

This guy:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_496.php

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 11, 2012, 11:49:59 AM

OH right, completely forgot about him. AS for the killing part, I see no reason why that would be the case, as there were probably thousands if not tens of thousands of adventurers who would do that. Also azlan probably started adventureing lately and probably would have known if he was killing an innocent or not.

Nino

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 11, 2012, 11:53:04 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 11, 2012, 11:49:59 AM

OH right, completely forgot about him. AS for the killing part, I see no reason why that would be the case, as there were probably thousands if not tens of thousands of adventurers who would do that. Also azlan probably started adventureing lately and probably would have known if he was killing an innocent or not.

Also I got the feeling it was a being who killed Mink's mother, and since Azlan is a fae, it seems pretty doubtful he'd kill another creature on sight just for recognizing them as such.

Also also he was friends with Dan, who was obviously a creature, so I don't think he holds that kind of prejudice.

Sofox

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 11, 2012, 07:54:44 AM
Huh.  So we've got a headless incubus and an actress essentially scalped, both apparently innocent...

That's actually a fairly interesting point in this.

One method seems to be a token calling card of when a certain dragon makes the kill. The headless cubi could be seen as taking the head as a trophy or a claim for an award. Then this seems a little more chaotic and the group seems a little more sloppy then what was hinted of the groups responsible of the killings. Not to mention Merlitz old gang mentioned they were busy reconfirming their sources before coming here.

If there is a relation to the three killings, it doesn't quiet appear to be with the assailants.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

if it's conspiracy time...  :mwaha

Remember that the BoB originally did not kill alexsi (dan) outright because they stated that being  a cubi is not a crime. What if the original group that killed the other cubi and more decided to spread a rumor that there was a evil cubi in the lost lake, and then when this group heard about it, they hired them to kill him/her and bring back his/her head.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on July 11, 2012, 03:16:52 PM
One method seems to be a token calling card of when a certain dragon makes the kill. The headless cubi could be seen as taking the head as a trophy or a claim for an award. Then this seems a little more chaotic and the group seems a little more sloppy then what was hinted of the groups responsible of the killings.
If there is a relation to the three killings, it doesn't quiet appear to be with the assailants.

I'm not convinced.  I'm open to the possibility that that Talliopa really was a dragon killing and the incubus was a coincidence (or inspired by Talliopa).  But I would be rather surprised if these guys didn't also do the incubus because their mode of operation seems to be the same from what we know.

Remember, the incubus was a successful operation - Alexsi was not, firstly because she didn't have wings (causing them to hesitate and bicker) and secondly because they've just been interrupted in the middle of it.

From what we've seen of their Alexsi attack, it looks a lot like sneak in, stun the guy, behead them before they can recover, then leave.  That seems to match the incubus killing from what we know - the Talliopa killing we don't have enough details on to make a judgement call.

It's fun to ponder on what would have happened if they had actually brutally killed someone and then realised, oh crap, that wasn't a 'Cubi.

QuoteNot to mention Merlitz old gang mentioned they were busy reconfirming their sources before coming here.
There was enough time since then for the murder to be discovered/reported, Wildy to get called up, survey the scene, and then go home and arrive at Lost Lake in time for Abel's birthday.  These guys didn't seem terribly thorough when arguing over Alexsi's head, so that could well have given them enough time to recheck.

Ignuus66

While I think it's perfectly possible Bob was behind all the murders, somehow I doubt, they don't seem to be evil, maybe dis-illusioned.

Eboreg

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1265.php

Anyone else think that Jyrras is going to pull out a Luger or a 1911?
(I use those two as examples since the only gun we see that Jyrras made is a WWI-era Maxim gun and maybe he's still in WWI-era with weapons development.)
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on July 11, 2012, 07:53:28 PM

If he did, he'd probably have to fire it.  You can't intimidate someone by pointing a gun at them if they don't know what it is...

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Eboreg on July 11, 2012, 07:53:28 PMAnyone else think that Jyrras is going to pull out a Luger or a 1911?
(I use those two as examples since the only gun we see that Jyrras made is a WWI-era Maxim gun and maybe he's still in WWI-era with weapons development.)
Really?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

lycaonpictus77

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 11, 2012, 05:42:01 PM
While I think it's perfectly possible Bob was behind all the murders, somehow I doubt, they don't seem to be evil, maybe dis-illusioned.

I'm inclined to agree... Though I'm having difficulty justifying their actions, I don't think that they would kill that incubus in cold blood with nary a crime on his head--or hide the fact that they had done it. Unless they were worried about retribution from his clan, I don't think they're the sort that would keep something like that under wraps.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Tapewolf

Quote from: lycaonpictus77 on July 12, 2012, 03:41:52 AM
Though I'm having difficulty justifying their actions, I don't think that they would kill that incubus in cold blood with nary a crime on his head--or hide the fact that they had done it. Unless they were worried about retribution from his clan, I don't think they're the sort that would keep something like that under wraps.

Quite.  It looks like the guy was a farmer.  Leaving aside the way they left the corpse for the kids to see, the fact that other adventurers are now hunting them for their crimes seems a pretty clear indicator that they've crossed the line.
"Doing good deeds throughout the land" seems to have gone by the wayside...

Ignuus66

Remember that the group who did the murders could be using these as decoys to make everyone they are the murderers. Think about it, this group did not try to kill dan originally, they were probably told that a cubi here has gone bad, and instantly assumed that Alexsi (who they thought the cubi was) was the evil cubi.

EDIT:
Quote from: Eboreg on July 11, 2012, 07:53:28 PM
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1265.php

I just realized... It's chapter 30  :gun1

Lying Foo

Yep, I think this chapter is where we see Jyrras whip out his nonmagical gun and Wildy in magic-resistant human form.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 12, 2012, 07:43:20 AM
Yep, I think this chapter is where we see Jyrras whip out his nonmagical gun and Wildy in magic-resistant human form.
I still don't think wildy is a were, due to the fact that she may be a shaman but she does not seem inclined to use magic at all.

Eboreg

@tapewolf: That's why he would fire three warning shots across the bow

@AmigaDragon: That thing looks like a pillbox that didn't get the "stealth is key" memo. I will, however, concede the (new) gryphon mech.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Ignuus66

No I am pretty sure that looks like a Mining laser (it actually does :P )

Plotting

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 12, 2012, 08:23:43 AM
Quote from: Lying Foo on July 12, 2012, 07:43:20 AM
I still don't think wildy is a were, due to the fact that she may be a shaman but she does not seem inclined to use magic at all.

Really?

AmigaDragon

I've been wondering... is it technically still a sucker punch if he didn't even know Abel was there? :mowwink
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen