06/07/2012 [DMFA #1321] - It hit the fan...

Started by RandomMetaphysics, July 06, 2012, 03:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infranscia

While I'm not putting too much stock on Aniz being alive (just in case), I do think the day that this occurs on isn't a coincidence.  Alive or dead (or maybe even undead), I think there's a good chance that Aniz is connected to this somehow.  The teacher's dialogue seems to particularly imply that there's a Creature involved doing some mind-lying or something, so I pretty well doubt it's the adventurers.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's an electric attack.  Electricity through the heart can be fatal.  While the odds aren't that great (particularly considering that she wasn't grounded or anything), there is a chance of survival, though.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Lying Foo

I don't think it's electric so much as, I believe the phrase is, "pure freaking magic."

The fact that it's through the heart, yes, but also the way her fur suddenly fades to look like a corpse's - because it is.  (Although that could be the dramatic lighting.)  Certainly it's either a kill spell or a stun spell, the way she drops in her tracks, and a bolt of lightning through the heart seems a funny kind of stun spell.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 07, 2012, 04:23:11 AM
I don't think it's electric so much as, I believe the phrase is, "pure freaking magic."

The fact that it's through the heart, yes, but also the way her fur suddenly fades to look like a corpse's - because it is.  (Although that could be the dramatic lighting.)  Certainly it's either a kill spell or a stun spell, the way she drops in her tracks, and a bolt of lightning through the heart seems a funny kind of stun spell.
that's dramatic lighting, her hair becomes darker too. Also that spell looks evil, what with the red sphere and stuff.
Not to mention quite efficient and presumably painless considering it went for her heart, so I think we can safely x out a cubi wanting to feed on pain. Also sorry people but this does not look like a stun spell, Id think a stun spell would go for the brain and  not the heart, stunning the heart would definately cause death. Hope this is reversable (healable) and not a permanent thing. Cliffhanger much though?

(credit: Gabi)

Lying Foo

Her hair is part of it, I think.  Better to note that her clothes and broom are also faded, but it looks to me that her fur and hair have faded more.

You know, I've heard it suggested that Wildy is a were... if that were the case, this would certainly be the time...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Nino

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 07, 2012, 05:41:00 AM
Her hair is part of it, I think.  Better to note that her clothes and broom are also faded, but it looks to me that her fur and hair have faded more.

You know, I've heard it suggested that Wildy is a were... if that were the case, this would certainly be the time...

immunity to magic definitely seems like it would come in handy here. Seeing the human-enthusiast become human herself would be weird though.

Actually, this would be super weird. Can't imagine that... would she get taller, since her height is a result of the kind of furry she is (ostensibly)?

Mao

I'm going to pose this to you guys:  wouldn't it seem a bit heartless and cruel to Alexsi's loved ones to kill her off in the comic?  While I can understand that it is a valid talking point in the comic, please keep in mind that there are likely still folks around who knew her.  At a minimum, Mab knew her.

AxiLarin

I'd have to go with Tapewolf on this... I have a strong feeling our attacker is a dragon.  My first suspicion was based on Abel's reaction.  Nothing raises Abel's hackles like the presence of a dragon... think back to when Abel first saw Pyroduck.  Actually, the first question in my head was: Was it Pyroduck?  Was he putting on the long con, romancing Alexsi and befriending the others until the right time presented itself to carry out his father's orders?  ....G'damn, I hope the hell not!  Alexsi's comment right before she was zapped indicated she expected Pyroduck (with or without Mab) to come walking through the door.  I guess one question is: did she actually get the chance to catch a glimpse of her attacker over her shoulder before she was hit?  If so, either she saw Pyroduck or a dragon she thought was Pyroduck.  Also, the comment from Dan's teacher seemed to hint at an important truth that somehow got overlooked until now.

Or I may not have gotten enough sleep the last few days and my brain is doing the crazy dance.  :V

Abel-needs-a-hug

I not only thinks it's Hizell (the dragon Mink mentioned), I also think he's Pyroduck's father.

Tapewolf

Quote from: AxiLarin on July 07, 2012, 07:36:27 AM
I'd have to go with Tapewolf on this... I have a strong feeling our attacker is a dragon.

Well, until we see the attacker we won't know.  All I'm saying is that I believe Amber's been trying hard to lead us to that conclusion.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

I'm staying neutral here, while I hope mab is pulling our leg with Alexsi's death, I'm not sure. Also All we know is that it is a professional magic user who would go on efficiency and not suffering.

Wanderer

I'm going to stick with Alexsi being alive. Because Amber tells us which conventions she's attending, which makes it very easy for some disgruntled fan to track her down and break her kneecaps have words with her about killing off a beloved character.  :P

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 07, 2012, 04:23:11 AM

What might be happening with the color fade and red circle surrounding Alexsi is a setting of fading the scene for dramatic effect like you say and giving her emotional state (The red circle signifying the most important emotions that Abel wouldn't block) some kind of visual marker for us to see.

The scene probably shows that Abel is doing exactly what this teacher is telling Dan he should do with his powers. Any number of things could indicate what the circle symbolizes, pain, fear surprise, betrayal.

This might also mean there might be a chance to save her if Abel is quick enough. After all, a corpse doesn't send out warning of pain.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I note also that it's much harder to ask questions of a corpse. And, since Nitemyst et al were of the opinion that "now they know where to find Cubi" should trouble arise... I begin to wonder, here.

What are the chances that Nitemyst et al have come in to collect the Cubi they know about, and haven't stopped to check that the Cubi in question still has morphing magic all over her?

That and, if you look at the magic that was thrown around in Abel's story, it tended to being a lot more gory when it was lethal. So... my bet, at I'll admit this is at least partially wishful thinking, in absence of any knowledge one way or another, is that Alexsi has just been immobilised. Whether this is because someone has come here to find the Cubi they know about, or if this is someone hunting Destania's friends and family down to flush Cyra out, I believe we'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 07, 2012, 05:41:00 AM
You know, I've heard it suggested that Wildy is a were...
How would that work in Furrae when nobody's ever seen a human? If not human, what would the were half be?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lying Foo

Human.  Those early strips generally aren't the best barometer for the world at large...

e_voyager

Remember everyone knew or believed humans existed at one point and time but they are believed to be extinct now. dead of some plague

minor edit
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 07, 2012, 09:52:44 PM
Human.  Those early strips generally aren't the best barometer for the world at large...

Forgot about that page.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Plotting

Quote from: AxiLarin on July 07, 2012, 07:36:27 AM
I'd have to go with Tapewolf on this... I have a strong feeling our attacker is a dragon.  My first suspicion was based on Abel's reaction.  Nothing raises Abel's hackles like the presence of a dragon... think back to when Abel first saw Pyroduck.  Actually, the first question in my head was: Was it Pyroduck?  Was he putting on the long con, romancing Alexsi and befriending the others until the right time presented itself to carry out his father's orders?  ....G'damn, I hope the hell not!  Alexsi's comment right before she was zapped indicated she expected Pyroduck (with or without Mab) to come walking through the door.  I guess one question is: did she actually get the chance to catch a glimpse of her attacker over her shoulder before she was hit?  If so, either she saw Pyroduck or a dragon she thought was Pyroduck.  Also, the comment from Dan's teacher seemed to hint at an important truth that somehow got overlooked until now.

Or I may not have gotten enough sleep the last few days and my brain is doing the crazy dance.  :V

I agree that an an important truth has been overlooked until now, but there is another Creature who Alexsi would not be surprised to see come though  the door either alone or with company, who might also have a motive - Mab.

Mab has an intricate plot in the works, trying to provoke a revolution from what I recall. This might be the spark which sets her plans into motion.

Also, lets not forget that Alexsi might have been put into suspension - like her Father

justacritic

In the end only Amber herself will determine Alexsi's ultimate fate. Still I wouldn't be surprised if she comes up with something that would completely knock us for a loop.

Ignuus66

Quote from: justacritic on July 07, 2012, 11:38:13 PM
In the end only Amber herself will determine Alexsi's ultimate fate. Still I wouldn't be surprised if she comes up with something that would completely knock us for a loop.
I wouldn't be surprised if she id trying to troll us- somehow  :<

killpurakat

I just had the worst thought.

No, worse than what everyone here has already said. Yes, I mean that.

What do you want to bet we're going to get hit with a "Questions" comic on Monday and all of us be on pins and needles waiting until Friday to find out what happens next?  :< Or what if, for some reason, there's just no comic on Monday and no word from Amber and we're all left to just wonder and worry until Friday or later?  :cry

That would be the worst...

Amber Williams

Well, I'm working on the comic currently (in sketch mode) but I will admit that due to the size of these strips there may be a delay.

However no, there isn't a Question from the Readers or  scene change coming up on Monday.  I'm aiming to get it done on time Monday but I'll say this much: there are 7 panels in this next strip and it's also a bit larger so I hope you all will bear with me and my pitiful wrists during this expedition into manga-mode. :U

Ignuus66

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 08, 2012, 03:20:31 AM
  I'm aiming to get it done on time Monday but I'll say this much: there are 7 panels in this next strip and it's also a bit larger so I hope you all will bear with me and my pitiful wrists during this expedition into manga-mode. :U
go go wrists! You can do it!  :U

killpurakat

Amber, sweetie, you need to realize something very important about your fans:

WE LOVE YOU AND, ASIDE FROM QUITTING THE COMIC FOREVER IN THE MIDDLE OF A STORY ARC WITHOUT A REASON, YOU CAN DO NO WRONG!!! Now, have a cookie. :mowcookie

Heck, if I lived closer to you (Colorado is kind of far away from Canada, at least driving-wise), I'd offer to come over and cook for you and massage your wrists. Alas, all I can offer you is long-distance fangirl support.  :3

And the promise that next time I'm at a convention you're also at, I'll bring more Swedish fish and some power bars for energy! :boogie

Plotting

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 08, 2012, 03:20:31 AM
Well, I'm working on the comic currently (in sketch mode) but I will admit that due to the size of these strips there may be a delay.

However no, there isn't a Question from the Readers or  scene change coming up on Monday.  I'm aiming to get it done on time Monday but I'll say this much: there are 7 panels in this next strip and it's also a bit larger so I hope you all will bear with me and my pitiful wrists during this expedition into manga-mode. :U

Well at least Fluffy will not need to bring out the baseball bat of motivation or the rubber mallet of deadlines or anything else for that matter  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: killpurakat on July 08, 2012, 02:26:53 AM
I just had the worst thought.

No, worse than what everyone here has already said. Yes, I mean that.

What do you want to bet we're going to get hit with a "Questions" comic on Monday and all of us be on pins and needles waiting until Friday to find out what happens next?  :< Or what if, for some reason, there's just no comic on Monday and no word from Amber and we're all left to just wonder and worry until Friday or later?  :cry

That would be the worst...

You? You are evil. Shush, you'll drive everyone to drink.

... further to drink than Ambaaargh has, I mean. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

maus_merryjest

I think the current comic broke me O_O
::hopes poor Abel doesn't come to a gruesome end here...::

e_voyager

Quote from: maus_merryjest on July 08, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
if Alexi doesn't survive i think dan Really would care out his threat on Abel, Pyroduck and whoever took Alexi away from him. i can only think of two people who might have done this but that doesn't cover all the people i don't know about to begin with.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on July 08, 2012, 12:15:48 PM
if Alexi doesn't survive i think dan Really would care out his threat on Abel, Pyroduck and whoever took Alexi away from him. i can only think of two people who might have done this but that doesn't cover all the people i don't know about to begin with.
I can see Jyrras, Lorenda, Kria et all really taking that well.  He'd be left with Wildy as his only friend, if he's lucky.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

Quote from: maus_merryjest on July 08, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
welcome to the forum.

MEh, to be fair I think Dan will go full on rage on the killer, and not on Pyro or Abel. But who knows, he might even start raging at Fa'lina that she made him go. Anyhow, I'd stay away from him for a few... hundred years? (if not more, Dan seems to be vengeful.) ... Hello my name is Daniel Ti'fiona. You killed my sister, prepare to die.