06/29/2012 [PF #215] - Who dares usually loses, actually.

Started by ChaosMageX, June 29, 2012, 12:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosMageX

I'm just saying, there's a difference between daring to walk into a trap and daring to cheat death by doing extreme sports, even though that has nothing to do with this current strip. :P

Getting serious, I just love the effects of the last panel and I'd love to know the details of how they were done.  Is that a radial transparency gradient or are my eyes just fooling me into thinking it is?

Icon by Sunblink

joshofspam

Eh, and now we're left to wonder if Daryil might have altered the pendant while nobody was looking.

Be kind of bad if it would teleport Keaton to Daryil's study while he's reading a book, wearing a fezz hat, a glass of some kind of drink and having on a leisure wear. Maybe also having a monocle on.

I'd be suspicious if Jakob left the pendent functional.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on June 29, 2012, 12:05:41 PM
I'm just saying, there's a difference between daring to walk into a trap and daring to cheat death by doing extreme sports, even though that has nothing to do with this current strip. :P

Getting serious, I just love the effects of the last panel and I'd love to know the details of how they were done.  Is that a radial transparency gradient or are my eyes just fooling me into thinking it is?

There were three layers, if I remember right.  May have been four, with an extra one for the amulet's own effect.  The white haze is on two additive layers, with Keaton in the middle on a grain-merge layer.  I used a large, fuzzy brush to fade some of her out.  I also used it to selectively remove parts of the haze.
The background haze was around 30% transparency, the foreground haze more like 60%.  Keaton was somewhere in between, and the effect around the amulet was I think in a 100% additive layer, with more selective fuzzy removal to make it in to a halo.

That's from memory, I don't have the final version of the file on me.

I believe 'Who Dares, Wins' may have been the motto of the SAS, but I'm not honestly sure.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 29, 2012, 12:20:37 PM

There were three layers, if I remember right.  May have been four, with an extra one for the amulet's own effect.  The white haze is on two additive layers, with Keaton in the middle on a grain-merge layer.  I used a large, fuzzy brush to fade some of her out.  I also used it to selectively remove parts of the haze.
The background haze was around 30% transparency, the foreground haze more like 60%.  Keaton was somewhere in between, and the effect around the amulet was I think in a 100% additive layer, with more selective fuzzy removal to make it in to a halo.

That's from memory, I don't have the final version of the file on me.

I believe 'Who Dares, Wins' may have been the motto of the SAS, but I'm not honestly sure.
"And when you die you'll never know you lost!"

joshofspam

Quote from: justacritic on June 29, 2012, 12:47:24 PM

"And when you die you'll never know you lost!"

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if their was a sub clause or something written in small print. It probably would go along the lines of "don't daring under the influence of mind altering substances or irrational fear".
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

TacticalError

'Who Dares, Wins' was/is indeed the motto of the SAS. I believe I read it on a SAS survival handbook.

Lhexa

I think it's also a compressed version of "Fortune favors the bold", which goes all the way back to pre-classical Latin.