17/02/2012 [DMFA #1286] - Self-doubt and strangling

Started by Tapewolf, February 17, 2012, 05:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Yes, I think this is a lesson Keaton could get into pretty well.  And yes, talking back to the pain teacher is a pretty stupid thing to do, even if they aren't Destania.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Is it just me or is Aaryanna getting more and more awesome with time?
There's something very neat about using a troublemaker as a demo apparatus. Either way, I see where the concerns might be coming from - Aaryanna is rather young as far as cubi go, and as such the position she obtained might well be seen as an effect of nepotism/protection on the side of Fa'Lina.

That makes me further wonder... would there be any friction between 'cubi with a live and those with a dead clan leader?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on February 17, 2012, 05:15:57 AM
There's something very neat about using a troublemaker as a demo apparatus.

Depends how often you do it.  I can't imagine Destania's classes had many people asking questions in case she turned on them, hence any misapprehensions they have go uncorrected (which then reflects poorly upon the teacher).

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 17, 2012, 05:23:11 AM

Depends how often you do it.  I can't imagine Destania's classes had many people asking questions in case she turned on them, hence any misapprehensions they have go uncorrected (which then reflects poorly upon the teacher).

Depends on her lecturing style (to be honest , both of them do so far seem like a good sort) , and on how the course is structured - i'm under the impression you learn most when doing problem sheets with notes around.
Brings me to wonder just how much of the grading in SAIA depends on practicals - feels like a superior method simply because cheating is easier to avoid, besides , for some of the subjects it's a natural way of grading performance.
Brings me to...
Given Cubi have a natural knack for understanding how the nervous system works... building a WH40k style Excruciator seems like a good extended lab exercise XD

This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

MT Hazard

Depends how often you do it.  I can't imagine Destania's classes had many people asking questions in case she turned on them, hence any misapprehensions they have go uncorrected (which then reflects poorly upon the teacher).

As long as they don't have a repeat of the special incantation ploy problem...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

killpurakat

Speaking as a teacher who has had problem students before (and has some right now, in fact), I really wish I could reserve the right to attempt this on the twits in my classes. :) Or maybe rip off body parts to beat the rest of the body into submission. XD

Fight the good fight, Aaryanna!  :mwaha

Alondro

*Charline believes Aary is underqualified*  Only choking someone who talks back?!  How WEAK!  I'd gut them alive and stick their heads on posts as warnings to the remaining students.  *Charline is not a teacher because Fa'lina correctly believes the student mortality rate would be unacceptably high*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Sofox

Quote from: killpurakat on February 17, 2012, 08:08:33 AM
Speaking as a teacher who has had problem students before (and has some right now, in fact), I really wish I could reserve the right to attempt this on the twits in my classes. :) Or maybe rip off body parts to beat the rest of the body into submission. XD

Fight the good fight, Aaryanna!  :mwaha

There's this really nice peom I think you would like if you haven't heard it before...

Tapewolf

justacritic

How does the last stanza go in that poem I can seem to find the proper rhythm.

Ignuus66

Heh that poem fits pain and terror almost perfectly... (except for the killing students part)

(credit: Gabi)

ChaosMageX

Quote from: VAE on February 17, 2012, 05:33:28 AM

Depends how often you do it.  I can't imagine Destania's classes had many people asking questions in case she turned on them, hence any misapprehensions they have go uncorrected (which then reflects poorly upon the teacher).

Depends on her lecturing style (to be honest , both of them do so far seem like a good sort) , and on how the course is structured - i'm under the impression you learn most when doing problem sheets with notes around.
Brings me to wonder just how much of the grading in SAIA depends on practicals - feels like a superior method simply because cheating is easier to avoid, besides , for some of the subjects it's a natural way of grading performance.
Brings me to...
Given Cubi have a natural knack for understanding how the nervous system works... building a WH40k style Excruciator seems like a good extended lab exercise XD

It's times like this I wish SAIA's professors were available on websites like http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/, but then again those websites aren't really very reliable for judging the quality of a professor.

Also, congratulations Sunblink for getting another cameo of Keaton in the comic.  I hope to see even more cameos in the coming pages.  :eager

Icon by Sunblink

joshofspam

That's quite a bit of class rage.

Sometimes I think there are students that really need a good bit of the ruler to get them to listen.

Edit: Oh! I just recently noticed something about Aaryanna. She has a purple tipped tail. Learn something new every day. :)
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ignuus66

Aary has a sort of 2 sided personality. 1 is well the humbler/nicer aary we see around fa'lina, Destnia (occasionally) dan, and the other side is the aggressive egoistical side we see when shes angry or around someone who she hates (Abel)

VAE

Quote from: Ignuus66 on February 17, 2012, 04:54:43 PM
Aary has a sort of 2 sided personality. 1 is well the humbler/nicer aary we see around fa'lina, Destnia (occasionally) dan, and the other side is the aggressive egoistical side we see when shes angry or around someone who she hates (Abel)

Um, everyone is nicer around people he likes. Especially if they are his friggin' boss.
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 17, 2012, 09:31:58 AM
Quote from: Sofox on February 17, 2012, 09:28:55 AM
There's this really nice peom I think you would like if you haven't heard it before...

Thanks for finding that.  I remember little fragments of it from my youth....

If you'd asked... I memorised it, back in school, because it amused me. More than happy to type the whole thing out anytime anyone asks. Or recite it, for that matter...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryy Lazurus

And the lesson of the day?

Manners aren't just for being polite, they are for survival.

Here is a short test, consider the right responses to the following questions (right meaning, violent death avoided)

1) Does this dress make me look fat?

2) How could our team have lost so badly?

3) You know better than to lie to your dear old Granny, don't you?

4) Would you like to buy some of our delicious toffee and mushroom Girl Scout cookies?

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Ignuus66

VAE

Luckily, thanks to cubi shapeshifting , the first one doesn't apply.
Saphroneth

Ignuus66

Quote from: VAE on February 18, 2012, 12:28:16 PM
And since girl scouts are feared, I'd image they aren't let near Saia.

Ryy Lazurus

Quote from: VAE on February 18, 2012, 12:28:16 PM

So close.
You all remember the shape-shifting, but not the mind reading?

Tisk, tisk, tut.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Ryy Lazurus on February 18, 2012, 04:58:26 PM

So close.
You all remember the shape-shifting, but not the mind reading?

Tisk, tisk, tut.
Well due to the fact most (if not all) 'Cubi aware of being 'Cubi have mindshields (along with most of the other creatures and adventurers) mindreading won't work in Saia

Ryy Lazurus

And you sir assume that these mindshielded folk are a vast majority!

joshofspam

Quote from: Ryy Lazurus on February 18, 2012, 07:17:02 PM

Hmmmm...you know that brings us to an interesting point.

If Dan became such an accomplished adventurer, why didn't he have the mind shield like Genesis had that blocked Abel of all but immediate emotions?

Ignuus66

Quote from: joshofspam on February 18, 2012, 10:30:16 PM

If Dan became such an accomplished adventurer, why didn't he have the mind shield like Genesis had that blocked Abel of all but immediate emotions?
I'm assuming a mind shield needs the occasional recasting, and since Dan no longer needed it (due to not being an adventurer anymore) he just let it fade away.

Amber Williams

Quote from: joshofspam on February 18, 2012, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: Ryy Lazurus on February 18, 2012, 07:17:02 PM

Hmmmm...you know that brings us to an interesting point.

Because using a mind-shield is a particular specialization and Dan previously mentioned how he had been asked not to engage in combat with Cubi. So he never felt the need to learn an ability that was not going to be much use to him adventuring.  Where as Genesis and her comrades know there is a Cubi about so are taking those precautions.

That and like it was pointed out, a mind shield is not a permanent thing, but requires maintaining.  Something which Dan doesn't have as much patience for.

joshofspam

Ah, those are some good points.

Specialized skills that Dan wouldn't think he would need and the time to maintain them would probably be a hassle for Dan.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on February 19, 2012, 04:37:15 PM
Specialized skills that Dan wouldn't think he would need and the time to maintain them would probably be a hassle for Dan.

Magic skills, no less.  Dan seems to have had a problem with magic so far.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 19, 2012, 04:54:05 PM
Dan seems to have had a problem with magic so far.
He probably doesn't have a problem using it, but is unwilling to do so due to that 1 rock incident.