26/09/2011 [DMFA #1249] - Film at 11

Started by Tapewolf, September 26, 2011, 05:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Given this and Merlitz's flat, I start to wonder if Abel has some kind of problem with the dark.
Anyway, Amber seems to have got back into her Monday/Friday cycle again, which is good.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

For all that he puts up a tough facade, Abel's starting to show signs of insecurity.

Alondro

Tonight's horror feature:  "Cupcakes". 

:mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

OminousShadow

Quote from: Alondro on September 26, 2011, 10:33:39 AM

...You now have me fearing for Abel's very sanity. Nothing anyone can see in several hundred years of living can prepare them for that.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

Balance

Oh, dear. I went back and checked, and Jyrras was off buying clothes when Abel told Dan he was hemophobic, so he almost certainly doesn't know about Abel's blood issues. Now they're going to watch a horror movie. This could get messy. Where might this go?

1) Abel could puke. Eh, that's been done.
2) Abel could have a BSOD, with hijinks ensuing as Jyrras and Lorenda try to cope with a catatonic cubi.
3) Abel could try to take shelter in Jyrras's lap. While satisfying to the shippers, the fact that Abel is twice Jy's size would make it a bit awkward.
4) Amber could be messing with us, and have Jy pick a psychological horror flick with no gore.
5) ?! (The mind of Amber is a strange and magical place, where maps are useless and the roads are paved with heavily buttered popcorn.)

Quote from: justacritic on September 26, 2011, 08:49:20 AM
For all that he puts up a tough facade, Abel's starting to show signs of insecurity.

Abel's about as secure as a WEP password at the Black Hat Conference.

joshofspam

What?

Abel can't stand the mortal thrill that is the THRILLER?

Hmmmmm...He has Jyrras and Lorenda there. What could possibly go wrong. Except Lorenda getting idea's, Emotional feedback effecting him in the right atmosphere or Deathbringer and Macey deciding its time to dispose of these flesh bags.

Nothing could possibly go wrong....Right? :erk
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

AmberCross

Abel might not be able to get emotional feedback from the tv... but he can sure as heckfire get it from Jyrras (okay maybe not with the mindshield) and Lorenda. That and while Abel is culturally unaware of many things, he DOES possess an uncanny sense of survival in terms of cliches and the like.

Anri

I'm most willing to bet Abel doesn't know some Kish'Ta work in horror movies. >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on September 26, 2011, 04:26:50 PM
Abel might not be able to get emotional feedback from the tv... but he can sure as heckfire get it from Jyrras (okay maybe not with the mindshield) and Lorenda. That and while Abel is culturally unaware of many things, he DOES possess an uncanny sense of survival in terms of cliches and the like.

If Jy and Lorenda watch these things regularly it's probably not going to have much of an effect on them.  Lorenda doubly so in that she's had a Demon upbringing (and actually does eat random strangers).

I think it's more likely that Abel himself will be squicked, if only because 'Cubi have heightened emotions and it's quite possible he hasn't had much practice controlling this one.  Depending on the plot it may also bring back the night he saw Devin die.

Attic Rat

As I've tried to explain to others, knowledge of real dangers makes you more edgy during certain horror movies. It's the ignorant ones who aren't scared. The reason you have the ability to feel fear is to help you stay alive. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
 :zombiekun2  :mowdizzy  :kruger
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Arcblade

Quote from: Balance on September 26, 2011, 11:35:37 AM

+1 Awesomeness for that joke.   :mowcookie

Lego3400

4) Amber could be messing with us, and have Jy pick a psychological horror flick with no gore.

Seeing as Jy knows Abel is hemophobic, he likely picked one with minimal blood.

justacritic

Oh, dear. I went back and checked, and Jyrras was off buying clothes when Abel told Dan he was hemophobic,
There would be a high possibility that this could turn into an event that bonds Abel with the others or in Old Soviet Russia Events Bond You

ishidan

Quote from: Lego3400 on September 26, 2011, 07:59:56 PM

Seeing as Jy knows Abel is hemophobic, he likely picked one with minimal blood.
"minimal"?  Where's the fun in that?  How often does a being get a chance to squick a cubi-I'd have gone ahead and chosen a total gorefest.  From the look of the red splatter on the disc box on the table, I'd say Jy went for the whole package.

Oh, and the shading and detail in this comic!  The popcorn!  The bamboo decorations!  The gradations on the couch, and on Jy-squeak's feet!  Thank you for all the little details, you just seem to keep adding more and more!

lilpuppy23

Quote from: AmberCross on September 26, 2011, 04:26:50 PM

Oh yes, I was just about to say that only I did not know Jyrass had a mind shield.

Or, rather, I forgot.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Upside-down-ternet?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Emerauld Drathmir

ROFLMAO

I check DMFA, then my e-mail, and in my inbox is an ad -- "Classic Horror Movie's on Sale".

Amber, how did you get into my inbox?
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

ishidan

3) Abel could try to take shelter in Jyrras's lap. While satisfying to the shippers, the fact that Abel is twice Jy's size would make it a bit awkward.
Oh, especially since that will upend the popcorn bowl, sending a torrent of warm butter into Jyrras' groin.    Which is to say, creating an instant warm greasy patch all over his pants.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I did like the cameo, there. Although I will admit to not having seen it the first few times.

nevwyn

*checks the crime scene* Well as near as we can tell the blast originated outward from the couch. The details are still a little confused as both witnesses swear there was a third individual involved but we can't find any evidence to support that fact. Worse case of popcorn abuse I have seen in years, they will never get the butter stains off the ceiling.

justacritic

Strangely enough I just noticed that Jyrras' haircut makes him look even younger than he really is, I mean look at him in the last panel, he looks like a wide eyed innocent youngster joining the adults in watching a horror fest. Though I can't say if that is a good or a bad thing :mowdizzy

MT Hazard

I'm guessing cat people don't have the same night vision as normal cats, they probably just have normal vision and no eye shine.

Also, so far Abel is (more or less) confirmed to be afraid of

• Blood and blood like substances
  • The Dark
  • Friendships/relationships
  • Bug people
  • Undead?
  • Alexsi with a Hammer
  • The home economics teacher
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

joshofspam

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 28, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
Also, so far Abel is (more or less) confirmed to be afraid of

• The home economics teacher

Well to be fair, how many wrong ways are there too use a salad shooter? :P
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Blackwolf359

Quote from: Alondro on September 26, 2011, 10:33:39 AM

More likely Mab's brownies.

I recently made the discovery that horror movies are in fact able to faze me if I watch them with the lights out at around 3am. I therefore find the timing of this comic somewhat interesting.
If someone pushes you into the abyss...Jump and grab them so they can race you to the bottom :P

POODLE! That is all.

Tapewolf

I'm guessing cat people don't have the same night vision as normal cats, they probably just have normal vision and no eye shine.

How well they see in the dark, I have no idea, but if you look at Dan in DP's Maiden Wagon (or Abel here), their eyes do seem to reflect light.

Balance

• Friendships/relationships

I'm not sure he's afraid of them. More like afraid for them, would be my guess. I think he blames himself for the tragedies in his life and considers himself unworthy of positive personal relationships.

• Bug people

Well, Chickie creeps him out, and we already knew about his issues with the Shakespearean spiders. I think it's arthropods in general, especially big ones.

• Undead?

I'd say that was more a matter of "who" than of "what". Sure, it's unlikely that he had ever met an undead before, but the fact that the undead in question happened to be a walking representative of the most traumatic day of Abel's life seems more important.

• Alexsi with a Hammer

Well, who wouldn't be? (Except Destania, of course.)

Arcblade

I like how Abel seems to have forgotten that he'll be picking up on his companions' emotions as he watches.  Yes, the figures on the screen can't hurt him, but he's got his nerves and his companions' nerves to deal with.   >:3

Attic Rat

This may be the first time Abel hears about being's enjoying fear.

The emotions Abel receives: Fear/Thrill/Schadenfreude/whatever else... What will they do?
Let's find out! For SCIENCE!

Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Anker Steadfast

Lets not forget that people define horror as different things ... your mileage may vary.
Like, a teenage girl may consider a "slow motion movie of popping a zit" a horror movie.

Actually .. don't google that.

Seriously, don't.

D:

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on September 29, 2011, 10:31:43 AM
Lets not forget that people define horror as different things ... your mileage may vary.
Like, a teenage girl may consider a "slow motion movie of popping a zit" a horror movie.

Ooo, that was fascinating. Thanks for suggesting I google it.

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on September 29, 2011, 10:31:43 AM
Actually .. don't google that.

... Oh.