Gainful employment. only mild horror this time.

Started by Brunhidden, March 18, 2011, 04:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

Friday- i start my new job

feel free to start a betting pool as to how long THIS one lasts

haven't worked since october, wife hasnt had an income in over two years, there was that stint of homelessness, had to drop out of college and now they want to collect the tuition i owe, a complete lack of motor vehicle yet somehow amassed traffic violations, attempts to sell bodily fluids thwarted by lack of vehicle to get to the bodily fluid buying place, and the occasional selling of personal possessions to keep electricity running and the heat on. so, yeah, i feel fortunate to get a job.

what job and how? my wifes father found out that his cousin was opening a new branch in town of the difficult to describe service he provides and thus passed it along to his other cousin who runs the local branch that got its first customer monday that i was interested in a job. does that even count as nepotism? basically i only got the job because i am perhaps the only person who both heard of it and wanted it after i heard what the job is. the service is a kind of halfway house/daycare/group home for the developmentally challenged and it seems like it will be my job to stay at the house over the night shift to clean, prepare things for the next day, and handle when one of the patients tries to escape into the wild.

no, i am not trying to be funny, this job has a serious risk in that some of the residents will at random times flip out and attempt to escape or attack.

what, you thought they were sequestered from the rest of society in small groups and placed under 24 hour surveillance  because they are calm and harmless?

also, real chance of having to clean an adults poop off the walls
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

oh, yay.

How much chance that you'll get stiffed on the pay, though?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

Well congratulations.

I have seen one or two housing arrangements like that. Though from what you said it must be an extreme case group.

You'd be surprised how the mind has such a large varied forms of problems when something isn't working right in there.

I have a few problems of my own.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Brunhidden

well, two days passed and it seems i have been trained

1- apparently i administer morning medications

2- of my ten hour shift roughly 7 1/2 hours of it are spent doing nothing

3- there is a tv, but the channels have been severely pruned for the safety of residents. i shall have to bring my own entertainment

4- recordkeeping, moping, being bored, this all seems so familiar...

Sprocketsdance

Wow, you'll pretty much be doing what I did for over 4 years.

One bit of advice: you'll need to find a major source of outlet for yourself - be it writing, reading, kick-boxing, whatever. This sort of work begs for burn-outs.

Brunhidden

okay, this may be a slight bit of thread-o-mancy but i just have to update

there's now two residents, medication administration is getting complex, i was commended for how well i handle the logs and records, and about two hours after i left this morning one of the residents flipped out and attacked the first shift lady. 911 was called, no clue what happens now as apparently someone is now in the hospital and someone else is in police custody.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Wow. I'm not sure what to say. I hope the person in hospital is purely for observation, and nothing more serious.

I further hope that you don't end up there yourself.

Also, 8 days is not thread-o-mancy, just FYI. But thankyou for keeping your hard-working moderators in mind. *grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sprocketsdance

o.o oy, dude, yea.. I'm sure in training they've told you this, or you've figured it out for yourself, but just in case... even that you're on the midnight shift you can't let your guard down, never have your back to a resident - always keep them at the very least in the corner of your eye. If you haven't been in a scrap before in normal life, after a few bouts you get to be quick on your feet. Just, be on guard, and be careful, never put anything past them.  :mowninja