DNS Errors

Started by Myandriss, January 23, 2011, 05:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myandriss

Hoping someone can help me out here but past few days now I can't seem to get to the DMFA website or Xepher.net for that matter. Attempts to do so result in a DNS error. I've tried all 3 systems connected to the network and all 3 of them return with the same error.

I should note this is only a recent development as I was able to read the comic prior to the most recent one. I first noticed it yesterday and have since had no luck. I'm really hoping someone can help me figure this out because it's driving me nuts.

Thank you in advance.

hapless

I just recently had a friends in the US whose ISP's DNS servers "forgot about" minecraft.net, and my own was missing wikia for over a month.
Usual fix is to temporarily or permanently switch to Google's DNS servers, unless you're paranoid about Google, of course.
Go to Network Connections in Control Panel, right click the icon of your LAN or wireless connection (the one that'll be saying "Connected" and/or "Enabled" next to it), go to Properties, find TCP/IP on the list, click the name making sure you didn't accidentally uncheck the box next to it, Properties button... *deep breath* switch "Obtain DNS automatically" at bottom to manually, fill 8.8.8.8 in first and 8.8.4.4 in second box. Ok, Ok, close, go to Command Prompt in Accessories, type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes, hit Enter, close that window, try again. If things break (is some ISP evil enough to block 8.8.8.8?), switch back to automatic DNS, hopefully you'll be back at square one.
Chaosnet device not responding - check breaker on the Unibus

llearch n'n'daCorna

Be aware that missmab.com's DNS is hosted on Xepher's server, so if it goes down, it all goes down.

Having said that, the reliability of the system as a whole is pretty high anyway, so...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Myandriss

Thank you so much for the help. Switching to Google's DNS helped. Once I made the changes the site loaded right up.