Started by Captain, January 08, 2011, 05:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

Interesting use of a wizard did it there  :bunny
If you want to visit me:
Download this: http://shoddybattle.com/downloads
then go to Captain's Modded Server and look for captaiN

llearch n'n'daCorna

Indeed. It implies there are more wizards involved....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 08, 2011, 08:10:03 AM
Indeed. It implies there are more wizards involved....

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz?

also, ren's falling apart? he's become a true artist!  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

You now most people would be worried about their brains in that particular situation. That is if they worry at all after something like that. :P

Hope Ren gets better soon.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Sofox

I think the second last panel is magnificent.

Is that a rare glimpse of Tapewolf's artwork?

Turnsky

Quote from: Sofox on January 09, 2011, 08:21:20 AM
I think the second last panel is magnificent.

Is that a rare glimpse of Tapewolf's artwork?

naw, can't be.

much too refined.  >:3 :P

Lisky

This suddenly came to mind....  Just how easy is it for someone to steal, remove, or replace a soul in this setting? 

And, to add to it, How do adventurers and other people who would generally frown upon such actions, know that such a soul has been tampered with, or removed?

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Turnsky

Quote from: Basilisk on January 14, 2011, 11:13:12 AM
This suddenly came to mind....  Just how easy is it for someone to steal, remove, or replace a soul in this setting? 

And, to add to it, How do adventurers and other people who would generally frown upon such actions, know that such a soul has been tampered with, or removed?

it's a curious thing, even without delving into the philosophy, the idea of messing with souls in such a degree isn't a light undertaking, even cubi who're famed for their proverbial soul-sucking, don't do such things very often.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm not so sure.

Certainly, in Tapewolf's setting, _his_ Cubi don't steal many souls. Keaton, on the other hand, appears to be rather more profligate...

I'm not sure quite how that works out, though. Could be something for OBA to pontificate upon, there...

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 14, 2011, 11:51:14 AM
I'm not so sure.

Certainly, in Tapewolf's setting, _his_ Cubi don't steal many souls. Keaton, on the other hand, appears to be rather more profligate...

I'm not sure quite how that works out, though. Could be something for OBA to pontificate upon, there...

but afaik, keats hasn't stolen many souls... just redecorated an office with the contents of someone's head.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hrm. You have a point.

I was under the impression that she'd stolen the soul of the whatshisface, whose place she has now taken, but now that I think on it, it was never actually clarified on that point as to if she'd pinched it, or just splattered him.

Hrm.

Tapewolf

EDIT:  This was written in a hurry and in chunks since I'm trying to colour the comic, hence it may repeat things and generally have poor grammar.

Quote from: Basilisk on January 14, 2011, 11:13:12 AM
This suddenly came to mind....  Just how easy is it for someone to steal, remove, or replace a soul in this setting?  

Well, in the absence of clarification from Amber as to how it works in DMFA canon, I've been a little vague over it for the most part to try and keep some measure of compatibility with DMFA proper.

Depending on the mechanics of the DMFA world, it may be easier to take the soul from someone you've just killed.  I am assuming that it's possible to cast a spell and knock the soul out of someone, and that it's possible to enchant a weapon such that a Being could also do this.  But that might be the product of my reading too much Michael Moorcock and playing Morrowind etc.  I am assuming that it's possible to do it within an attack timeframe, rather than something long and boring that will take hours to achieve assuming that the victim doesn't escape or something in the meantime.

Personally, I am assuming that if you did extract someone's soul while they were alive, their body would just die around that point (no visible cause, just ceases to function) but it might also be the case that you end up with a hollow, basically.
Certainly, if you did this to an android, the result would be an empty, comatose shell with no functioning mind in it.

One point of note is that most Beings and Creatures seem to have an aura - I'm assuming that if you sucked the soul out it would absorb these traces as well, so if you come across a recent corpse with no detectable aura it probably means they've had their soul stolen.

Quote from: Turnsky on January 14, 2011, 11:29:45 AM
it's a curious thing, even without delving into the philosophy, the idea of messing with souls in such a degree isn't a light undertaking, even cubi who're famed for their proverbial soul-sucking, don't do such things very often.

Yes, I've noticed this - it might just be me - but the soul-stealing angle seems to have been played down a bit recently.  However, there is a practical angle too: it's rather dark for DMFA (being a light-hearted, mostly funny comic).  It's certainly not something I'd really want to show in-shot.
I'm not convinced it's terribly difficult, personally - especially if the victim is asleep.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 14, 2011, 11:59:42 AM
I was under the impression that she'd stolen the soul of the whatshisface, whose place she has now taken, but now that I think on it, it was never actually clarified on that point as to if she'd pinched it, or just splattered him.

She did steal it (as opposed to eating it).  However she essentially killed Ashford by shooting him.   And yes, Keaton is a good example of soul-stealing as an attack.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

You know all this talk about how easy it is to steal a soul has me wondering about a few things.

Is it common to receive a soul for a present when a Demon, Angel, or Cubi comes a courting?

Can you somewhat cheat the system of changing another race into your a member of a Cubi clan by feeding them souls during the process? [ Probably a painful experience for the changed and full of psychological scars from pain.]

Is it ever a problem when at a party hosted by creatures that a Being might be asked to try one of the snacks that just by chance have been made with souls in it? Can a mortal Being handle eating a soul both physically and mentally?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on January 14, 2011, 01:20:24 PM
Can a mortal Being handle eating a soul both physically and mentally?

Most of those questions would be better directed at Amber, IMHO.  I would say that a Being would need a spell to actually absorb a soul and use it to extend their lifespan, whereas 'Cubi might not, as they seem to be able to absorb energy naturally (but would still need a spell to actually get the soul out).  Just a guess.

Anyway, new comic is finally up.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

i'm unsure as to how the mechanics worked as such, but i'm fairly sure killing someone first (or in the same instance) would make it harder to nab that soul, particularly if the grim reaper's near.

that said, i'd imagine that if a cubi did eat someone's soul, depending on the being/creature, they'd prolly continue on like a hollow for a time before finally dying.