12/06/2010 [DMFA# 1173] - Those Darn Laminators.

Started by Nikki, December 06, 2010, 12:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

Holy criminy for the first time since I've been here I get to make one of these. SCORE.

So basically...nearly everything has a 'touch' of magic so nothing is really natural? that's...kind of cool.

Also; Jy's face in the last panel. I laughed HARD. So much win.

There is a laminator in front of the door.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Xze on December 06, 2010, 12:29:41 AM
Holy criminy for the first time since I've been here I get to make one of these. SCORE.

So basically...nearly everything has a 'touch' of magic so nothing is really natural? that's...kind of cool.
Congrats on your first new topic post! You win an internet cookie

I must say... Jyrras proved that he isn't just smart - he's a a fountain of knowledge! I wonder what else he knows...

On another note, I too did laugh out loud at Jyrras' expression in the last panel.

Inumo

I am totally turning that last panel into an avvie or fan bar when I get the time... Too awesomely silly.

Also, first panel, he seems a lot more mature suddenly, though that disappears with his gestures in the second panel.

Nikki

Fountain?

He's a bloody VOLCANO.

I don't know if he's fully erupted yet but-COOKIE. :mowcookie

And akshully my first DMFA Update topic in...what, nearly 5 years? Whoooaaaa.

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Alondro

*Charline de Lyon frowns in the shadows*  The roo-rat knows too much... really, wayyyyyyy too much.  It made my brain hurt.  And now, off to the Council!

*Charles postulates that 100% natural would be bad... just because that's how this sort of thing usually turns out*   Like making the world asplode or something along those lines.  :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jasonrevall

It's not the worst place for a laminator, I've seen one in someones abnormally large bathroom before. Talk about poor electrical safety. Or maybe it was a fax machine? I digress.

Quote from: Xze on December 06, 2010, 12:48:03 AM
Fountain?

He's a bloody VOLCANO.

I don't know if he's fully erupted yet but-COOKIE. :mowcookie

And akshully my first DMFA Update topic in...what, nearly 5 years? Whoooaaaa.

Watch out for his pyroclastic flow, it would be very deadly!
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Evilkritter

It's the truth!

I laughed so hard it was sad.

On a different note: I postulate that 100% natural is 99.99% magic proof and would require an arduous process to re-magify. Such objects would disrupt/dispel any magic they come into contact with and probably hurt magic beings. 100% "natural" weapons = creature killers. It's a good thing Jyrras has close friends and allies, his discoveries in the wrong hands would be...'nuff said really.

Gamma

:U
*Is in awe of nerdly awesome information block in the comic*
I love explanations of how worlds work, they make them so much more in depth when information looks like it came from a text book, or Wikipedia. The people inside make the story but the little details on the setting make it clear everything is being thought through thoroughly.
And yes, that laminator shouldn't be there, least not without a fern next to it.

On mice, I have had a couple give out on me over the years in much the same way Amber has. Though I have fixed some by desoldering the button on the left click and replacing it. Also I've replaced or cut out the bad sections of cord. I'm currently on a Logitech G5 for the past 3 years or so with daily gaming use. They don't make the exact model anymore. Its got quick speed adjustment buttons to slow down the cursor movement.
They used to make an equivalent too, but they stopped making that as well.
Unfortunately the closest one still available to my own is this one, G500

I wouldn't be able to guess why holding the left click down would be worse for a mouse then just clicking frantically; seeing as that's the only difference between the uses. :<
We may need to gather some resources and try and create an Amber-proof mouse. Like poor a solid adamantium mold for it, grab a NASA engineer or two so it could operate on the sun and what-not...

*Is booted upside the head.*

Or we could just get her another one...
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Arroyo Milori

Jy's face in the last panel is caption worthy. Might even good enough for an inside joke on the forums. >w>

But yeah, this is rather interesting information...

AmberCross

For quite some time I thought the laminator in the from door was the right amount of natural or something that made Abel's wards faulty. Of course that probably has more to do with Devin having a key and/or getting in and out before Abel made his wards than anything else...

Madd the Sane

I personally thought the wards were for the room only.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

immortius

Could be worse, could have a cruxtruder in front of the door.

Perhaps 100% magicless materials would act as a vacuum, not only being immune to magic but creating an anti-magic field around them. Or at least disrupting magic in the area, blackrock style.

skybluegill

I'm wondering if it works the same way for beings - like, if you ate nothing but 100% natural food since the day you were born, would you naturally be immune to magic?

Tapewolf

I hope the paperclips weren't some important experiment.

Quote from: immortius on December 06, 2010, 02:37:56 AM
Perhaps 100% magicless materials would act as a vacuum, not only being immune to magic but creating an anti-magic field around them. Or at least disrupting magic in the area, blackrock style.

Ultima 7 FTW.  Welcome to the forum, don't forget to read the rules and stuff...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AmberCross

Hmmm this makes me wonder about weres. Are their human forms like in some way 100% natural? Is that what their secret is? That they aren't varying their form but rather their magic to natural makeup which in turn alters their form? Thus the 100% natural human form is highly resistant to even fae and dragon magic while the feral and 'being' forms are at different percentages optimized for the purposes of insane spell slinging and something more balanced. This bears thinking on...

Scrap Fish

Oh gosh, I just thought of this: you can't have 100% magic free. Using the classic "halving" trick where you can never get from A to B... Objects always have magic, even if only 0.000000000000000000000000000000001%
Auuuuuughhhhhhhhh!

Alright, I'm back.
Quote from: skybluegill on December 06, 2010, 03:45:02 AM
I'm wondering if it works the same way for beings - like, if you ate nothing but 100% natural food since the day you were born, would you naturally be immune to magic?
But if rocks and dirt are magical, how could food not be? And wouldn't you pick up magic from same said dirtrocks anyway?
Quote from: Evilkritter on December 06, 2010, 01:22:08 AM
On a different note: I postulate that 100% natural is 99.99% magic proof and would require an arduous process to re-magify. Such objects would disrupt/dispel any magic they come into contact with and probably hurt magic beings. 100% "natural" weapons = creature killers. It's a good thing Jyrras has close friends and allies, his discoveries in the wrong hands would be...'nuff said really.
It would require a high amount of power... Or little power over time. "Magnification" would become exponential with time, and since we don't know the rates, it's quite possible that a powerful magic user, when you need anti-magic the most, could overwhelm it quite quickly.
Or you could just use warded clotes like Dan.
Go magic-deflecting robes woot.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

joshofspam

I suppose another thing to think about is if you hit one hundred percent does the item stay natural after that?

Wonder if Deeb's or her sis will be behind that door? >:3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Nikki

Quote from: immortius on December 06, 2010, 02:37:56 AM
Could be worse, could have a cruxtruder in front of the door.

I certainly wouldn't mind ;)
Homestuck FTW.

Anyhow, We'll only see what a 100% Natural item'll do when...yanno, we get to see it.

But I like the idea of it having a force field to keep it natural.

Brunhidden

is it just me or does jyjy have a lot more neck then i remember?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Attic Rat

Hmmm... I wonder if 100% magic-free iron feels unusually cold to magic-users..?
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Amber Williams

And now for something completely different: Partial Preview of Tonights comic being worked on:

One of my friends make a joke about Jy's new hair looking kinda spidery. And now none of you will be able to unsee it.

Nya. Ha. Ha. :U

Corgatha Taldorthar

Really? A spider? I always thought it looked more like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac's hair, although a bit understated.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Scrap Fish

So... Is Jyrras so smart because he has a connection to the hivemind?
Quote from: joshofspam on December 06, 2010, 09:43:54 AM
I suppose another thing to think about is if you hit one hundred percent does the item stay natural after that?
Trancendence of the natural world... Like a pure magical creature would likely be ethereal, a truly "pure" natural would be an extention to another plane... albeit in another direction?
Oh, maybe a existential plane sandwich, like:
(natural)?
Furrae
(magical)ethereal
Oh, maybe the natural end of the spectrum would be a sort of segue into the "real" world, and thus the way humans can (on occasion) enter into Furrae, perhaps by some intrinsic magical means? (As per Merlitz's sighting.)

I don't even make sense to myself anymore.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

schitzree

MT Hazard

What's 72.5%  good for? Come on, don't leave us in suspense!
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Scow2

I believe a 100% Unmagical Sword would be incapable of recieving magical enhancements, but could cut through anything in the World of Furrae, because it cuts through the magic holding the world together. Nice to see this world isn't unlike the Disc. Jyrras needs to make Captain Carrot's sword naow.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 06, 2010, 12:07:19 PM

One of my friends make a joke about Jy's new hair looking kinda spidery. And now none of you will be able to unsee it.

Nya. Ha. Ha. :U

And now I shall have my first nightmare in several months, where my hair turns into a brain eating spider :\.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Nikki

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 06, 2010, 12:07:19 PMOne of my friends make a joke about Jy's new hair looking kinda spidery. And now none of you will be able to unsee it.

That should make it in. Abel can go batcrap insane and shave his head bald.
Then make a wig out of his hair c:

Quote from: schitzree on December 06, 2010, 02:01:11 PM
The Laminator in front of the door... would that be a Baby Laminator?

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_613.php
Hodamn, didn't even think of that.

AMBER IS IT THE BABY LAMINATOR?

Inumo

Quote from: Scrap Fish on December 06, 2010, 01:52:30 PM
Oh, maybe the natural end of the spectrum would be a sort of segue into the "real" world, and thus the way humans can (on occasion) enter into Furrae, perhaps by some intrinsic magical means? (As per Merlitz's sighting.)
Um, IIRC, that was in a D&D game he played...