11/23/2010 [DMFA #1169] - How appropriate, you fight like a cow

Started by Tapewolf, November 23, 2010, 04:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Interesting conversation there.  Looks like Wildy is up for an arranged marriage.  Interesting too that they are talking about her father in the present tense - Wildy's comments on page 89 had left me with the impression he'd passed on.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

NykVerien

WT!! Wildy in an arraigned marriage!?!  I kind of feel sorry for the guys that her Dad picked for her to "try out". Kind of...

Yeah, that came unexpected. o.o
It's also notable how Wildy seems to have no problems at all with any of that. After the "Yeah, Creatures eat Beings. So what?" issue that's the second time Furrae's culture seems to be different from ours. I find that an interesting turn and I'm looking forward to see where that is leading.

Mao

Uh, arranged marriages still exist in our (I'm assuming you mean human) culture.  Just sayin'.  As for Wildy being in one and being calm about it?  She probably could have raged about it, but if her father is anything like her, it'd be like trying to push an immovable object about.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 23, 2010, 04:52:01 AM
Interesting conversation there.  Looks like Wildy is up for an arranged marriage.  Interesting too that they are talking about her father in the present tense - Wildy's comments on page 89 had left me with the impression he'd passed on.

I though she was talking about (only) her mother dying, the only time she mentioned her dad was after the mallet retrieval story.

mother mentioned  

father mentioned

To me it suggests he is alive, just that he doesn't know about bigg's empire.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Quote from: Mao Laoren on November 23, 2010, 06:15:13 AM
Uh, arranged marriages still exist in our (I'm assuming you mean human) culture.  Just sayin'.
I was more talking about western culture. (Because most other things in the comic seem to come from a western background and, come on, it's probably the dominant culture with 90% of the people around here* ;) )
Sure, arranged marriages exist here, too. I'd still like to see your reaction if a close friend of yours casually explains that he/she will be involved in one.

(* based on the highly representative "me glancing over the forum" method of data collection...)

As for Wildy being in one and being calm about it?  She probably could have raged about it, but if her father is anything like her, it'd be like trying to push an immovable object about.
This is still Wildy, the one person that probably could push an immoveable object about.

Jasonrevall

I never thought of Wildy being the type to want to settle down, but there you go. Also before anyone tells me "It's not really her choice", if Wildy really didn't want to do something I believe she wouldn't do it.

I like Wildy's shield spell. I am particularly fond of defensive spells.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Madmann135

If the third date is a fight between Dan and her suitor what are dates one and two.  I can vaguely see that conversation now... in a fighting ring.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

joshofspam

Wonder id Wildy was capable with magic even before becoming a Shaman.

With Wildy's family makes me wonder if this is more a political move or an over concerned father? The comments "Father would be proud" and the magic Willy is pulling of here makes me wonder if daddy dear is quite a well known person or even a being?

Wonder if the wing fascination fits in to this? Just how many of her potential suitors have wings or have a human form? >:3
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Naldru

I have this vision of Wildy's father showing up and looking and sounding like Marlon Brando in The Godfather.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

CoyoteCaliente

*Settles down to check comic updates. Is content. :3

*Sees that DMFA has updates. Is excited.  :eager

*Reads first line:

"...Shouldn't there be wedding bells for you soon?"

* :erk

-------------

Annnnnd that was my reaction of this comic. But then I realized that this scenario was in a comic that has winged kitty-incubus that is going on a date with the niece of someone who he's killed several times, while dating a three eyes Mythos that burps blue fire...

And then it suddenly seemed pretty normal.
I'm just a little bit... Aiene, Geisteskrank, Insano, Elnebajos, Vansinnig, Fou, Atamagaokashii, Gek, Dolzinnig, Hullu, Gila, Meschuge, Nebun, Dement... INSANE.

And do not tell your daddy how to ----.

Valynth

Uh, arranged marriages still exist in our (I'm assuming you mean human) culture.  Just sayin'.  As for Wildy being in one and being calm about it?  She probably could have raged about it, but if her father is anything like her, it'd be like trying to push an immovable object about.

So it'd be like if you sat two lead bricks together?

In any case, yes arranged marriages are still happening in human culture, but it's no where near as strict or as common as it used to be.

And yes, it happens in western culture too, though it's more along the lines of Wildy's assumed situation of parents gathering a pool or suitors and letting their offspring choose.  Just watch some of the lesser known, but still wealthy or traditional families and you see this quite a bit.

The only real difference is that at least in the west, it's impossible for the family power structure to demand a marriage of any of it's members without that individual's consent, though some cultures (particularly those found in the Middle East) still have legally binding arranged marriages.  Here in the west all they can do is guilt you over it.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

terrycloth

It doesn't really sound like they're doing more than guilting Wildy over it. And it's important that ferrets find a mate because otherwise they overdose on hormones and *die*! Well, maybe not ferrets in Furrae. n.n

Apparently Biggs gets to choose his own wife because he ran away from home to start his own empire of evil instead of taking over the family empire of evil.

Alondro

Dan's sword, save for the hilt guard, looks quite similar to Zangetsu! 

Sooo... Danuyasha releases his Bankai while his half-Cubi side takes over, ascending him mysteriously to tri-wing status and defeats DP with Falcon Punch?  XD
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Inumo

Yes, because more animu is necessary. XD

I like the magic attacks Wildy's demonstrating, though it seems odd that you could block a line of ice, which is sprouting from the ground, with a block as if you were blocking a low attack. I'd think you'd need to somehow block it at its source, the ground...

Gamma

Quote from: terrycloth on November 23, 2010, 12:42:36 PM
Apparently Biggs gets to choose his own wife because he ran away from home to start his own empire of evil instead of taking over the family empire of evil.
That's probably more related to him being male rather then anything to do with his power, but who knows.

Since their father doesn't know of Biggs accomplishments I would assume he may also believe him dead. There are many good reasons to be believed to be dead, especially with so many powerful entities in that universe.

Wildy's marriage may also be to ensure a certain race keeps a low profile. Known allies or other members of such a reclusive race would be the only safe bets for any relationships. Lest it be found out then the whole family is exposed. When the enemy then gets hold of the family tree, they can burn it to the ground...
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

lilpuppy23

Daymond42

I must say, I'm quite partial to the dramatic and awesome stance of Dan in the second panel. Quite dynamic!

Scrap Fish

This has so far been one of the most interesting reads I've seen for awhile on the interwebs. Kudos.

Quote from: CoyoteCaliente on November 23, 2010, 11:40:59 AM
*Settles down to check comic updates. Is content. :3

*Sees that DMFA has updates. Is excited.  :eager

*Reads first line:

"...Shouldn't there be wedding bells for you soon?"

* :erk
Yeah, pretty much. And when you think about it, it doesn't seem weird at all. Ah, the powers of context.
Quote from: Inumo on November 23, 2010, 12:54:50 PM
I like the magic attacks Wildy's demonstrating, though it seems odd that you could block a line of ice, which is sprouting from the ground, with a block as if you were blocking a low attack. I'd think you'd need to somehow block it at its source, the ground...
She does seem to demonstrate a well-rounded range of spells for offense and defense. As for the ice, my theory: It's simply a form of "Ground Wave" spell, so whereas it looks to be a line of ice sprouting from the ground, the spell is actually moving in a strictly horizontal method, allowing users of magic/magic weapon wielders, (Of which Dan is both.) to block the spell rather than the effects of the spell. (The ice.) Using strictly physical means, the spell would completely ignore your block and the wave would continue on through.
Alternate theory: It's cool. Don't question it.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

Amber Williams

That would prolly work if it was Dan doing the blocking. But in that frame Dan was on the offense and Wildy was doing the block.

Inumo

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 23, 2010, 05:35:49 PM

That would prolly work if it was Dan doing the blocking. But in that frame Dan was on the offense and Wildy was doing the block.

That explains it.

Scow2

Part of the confusion is probably because Dan's stance is clearly defensive and looks really awkward as an attack.

I'm guessing we are missing a lot of exchanges off-panel during the time they were talking (to show them all would require each frame to have three words at most)... Clearly, Dan's attack in the third panel is not an awkardly-drawn attack stance, but a swift riposte!

JackTheCubiWolf

... ... :U I...I...I have no respose to this shocking revelation.
I'm back, and tired.

Arcblade

I would just like the register my enjoyment of the magics.  They are pretty and interesting to look at, and I'm glad to see them whenever they show up. 

I'll be thoroughly amused to see Wildy's third date.   >:3

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 23, 2010, 04:52:01 AM
Interesting conversation there.  Looks like Wildy is up for an arranged marriage. 

It might not quite be an arranged marriage, any I've heard of have only one candidate for spouse. It might be something more like marriage as a requirement for an inheritance or something and she has a few candidates set up to choose from (maybe not even her only choices if she finds another one on her own).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

AmberCross

Actually this wouldn't be two immovable objects. In this situation it would be Wildy's dad trying to get Wildy to do something so it's more that Wildy's dad is an unstoppable force rather than an immovable object. The whole family seems to be unstoppable forces actually which have the advantage that you can still dodge, which may be what Biggs did on this issue.

As for Wildy, it seems like she's pretty okay with the issue. If she weren't, I imagine there'd be all sorts of hell about it and there'd be no way to get her to do anything.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Arcblade on November 23, 2010, 11:23:45 PM
I would just like the register my enjoyment of the magics.  They are pretty and interesting to look at, and I'm glad to see them whenever they show up. 

Hear, hear. *grin*

Most impressive improvement in the art, Ambaargh, And I note your backgrounds have improved, too.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Cameron

I have to wonder what kind of guys those must be for Wildy to think they're "decent." (A certain amount of indestructibility is obviously required to qualify.) *yerg*
Now drawing the webcomic Li'l Mell.

Inumo

nevwyn

depends are we talking indestructable by dodging or via taking the blow?

I could see yeek being more the sound  of a startled dodge, whereas yerg sounds more like someone had absorbed the blow to the body.