11/07/2010 [DMFA #1163] - Not According to Plan...

Started by Nino, November 07, 2010, 02:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nino

Well, I guess by this point it's safe to assume Abel doesn't recognize Devin. I have to say this: Abel's face in panel two is ADORABLE.

edit: of course the wards probably only applied to the room, so Devin managing to get in the kitchen makes sense, but now I'm wondering the obvious question that if Deebs is not considered magical OR physical than what is she?

Psaakyrn

Or maybe his last memory of Devin is that of a shapeshifter, not to mention knowing that Devin is dead, hence automatically assuming any Devin lookalikes is up to no good. Odds are Deebs was already inside though (just like how Abel was already inside) and let Devin in.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Demont

MT Hazard

Reminds me of that guy in one discworld book who tried to make a magical box that would stop even death, but then there was a  VOICE NEXT TO HIM.

Was Deebs made out of just generic magic or Fae magic? The second would explain a few things.

Edit: I also predict panic when Deebs tells Abel her full name.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 07, 2010, 05:26:28 AM
Reminds me of that guy in one discworld book who tried to make a magical box that would stop even death, but then there was a  VOICE NEXT TO HIM.

"DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?"

... since he completely failed to remember the importance of airholes...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 07, 2010, 07:50:47 AM

"DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?"

... since he completely failed to remember the importance of airholes...

And right there you see the danger of not analyzing things sufficiently.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Jasonrevall

When in doubt of what to do, cast a defensive spell or two.

I like the magic effect in the first panel.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

joshofspam

In with the good.

Out with the bad.

Maybe Abel just doesn't want to be caught up in Jyrras's Paparazzi problems.

Still how Abel will react to Deeb's is debatable. After all, aren't some of the smallest things in this world among the most destructive or most vicious of all things?

Drakes, Pygmy shrews and Mows. Oh my!

Then again their often the cutest too.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Shachza

I bet there's a smaller Deebs-sized door flap in the main door that she can just hop through.  It would be easier than walking around opening doors for her.  Or maybe even a whole city of Deebs-sized hamster tubes that run to every room!

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 07, 2010, 05:26:28 AM
Was Deebs made out of just generic magic or Fae magic? The second would explain a few things.

Or fae magic...  Danged logic!
            <-- #1 that is!

Madd the Sane

Oh, Amber. Why must you toy with us? I was expecting more awkward with Devin and Abel :( But wait! Devin has to return for his rumballs. But then Abel might not be there.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on November 07, 2010, 11:29:15 AM
Maybe Abel just doesn't want to be caught up in Jyrras's Paparazzi problems.

I think the Insectis features large in his list of things to keep away.  The creepy guy who looks like someone he blamed himself for killing some 350 years ago won't help either.  But then again, Abel might simply be convincing himself that it's a coincidence he looks like Devin.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on November 07, 2010, 03:40:24 AM
Or maybe his last memory of Devin is that of a shapeshifter, not to mention knowing that Devin is dead, hence automatically assuming any Devin lookalikes is up to no good.

I'm not sure we know if he ever worked that one out.  He might just have written it off as a dream.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prof B Hunnydew

First: Deeb is a soft wad of bubblegum, so if there is a crack anywhere in the room she can ooze thru.  Likely, she just flew thru the heat vent.

Second: In life Devin was a bully Being from Abel's hometown, who got himself kill in a ambush/raid against Kria and DP's crew.  Why Kria turned Devin into a undead servant, I have no clue?  Maybe because, he helped keep Abel alive, during the battle against real tough Adventurers.  
Devin was said to be a half-brother of Abel, maybe but his Cubi side never took.  You can't be half a Cubi, so Devin was a Being after his mother.

PBH

lilpuppy23

I think Abel forgot to protect against stuff that's both.

Or at least I think Deebs is both. Should be. It's magic and Bubblegum.

Madmann135

Able probably went to defense against those that do not live there. 
In "Cookies-N-Cream's" defense not many know about the little "Bubblegum princess."
...I wonder what he would think if he saw "Bubblegum Princess's" sister "Mecha-Maiden."

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Jakon

My guess is that Abel remembers Devin, but that memory is deeply repressed. Understandable, considering how traumatic that part of his life was.

iceick

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on November 07, 2010, 02:11:17 PM
Devin was said to be a half-brother of Abel, maybe but his Cubi side never took.  You can't be half a Cubi, so Devin was a Being after his mother.
How do you know Devin was Abel's half brother, did Amber mention it somewhere?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I like how nobody has mentioned the fact that Chicki has been counting how long Devin was inside in seconds.

OCD much? *grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Quote from: iceick on November 08, 2010, 01:41:45 AM
How do you know Devin was Abel's half brother, did Amber mention it somewhere?
The idea of Aniz being the father of Devin as well as Devin was one of those speculations that came up around the same time as Aniz also being the father of Dan.  Amber made the point of saying that she wasn't going to comment on it.  I find the rumor of Devin and Abel being half brothers as being much less likely than the idea of Dan and Abel being half-brothers.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Naldru on November 08, 2010, 11:11:27 AM

The idea of Aniz being the father of Devin as well as Devin was one of those speculations that came up around the same time as Aniz also being the father of Dan.  Amber made the point of saying that she wasn't going to comment on it.  I find the rumor of Devin and Abel being half brothers as being much less likely than the idea of Dan and Abel being half-brothers.

Yes, It is only rumour, I would like to think Devin and Abel being half-brother is more likely, than Abel and Dan being half-brothers, but it is only rumour... Two incubus in the same area doing the same thing, would seem unlikely given that the number of adventure type in the area.  Cubi race are few in number still after the war, and only a few leave SAIA in those days.  Still, Aniz would be busy with only one son/daughter who showed potential.

PBH

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on November 08, 2010, 12:32:21 PM
Two Cubi in the same area doing the same thing, would seem unlikely given that the number of adventure type in the area.  Cubi are few in number still after the war.  Still, Aniz would be busy with only one son/daughter who showed potential.

Devin's father doesn't have to be 'Cubi.  He could be a really desperate Angel.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prof B Hunnydew

True, But An angel seem to lose too much in these sort of matings, a Half-angel/being cub always seem to have half powers of the angel parent.  
Yet it is possibility  Breeding Angels

Yet, this is about Abel who thinks he is losing his mind, and Jyrras who has...

PBH

Anker Steadfast

In life Devin was a bully Being from Abel's hometown, who got himself kill in a ambush/raid against Kria and DP's crew.  Why Kria turned Devin into a undead servant, I have no clue?  

Kria didn't turn Devin into an undead, Dark Pegasus did it.
I believe it was mentioned somewhere that Devin was one of the very first attempts to make undead servants by DP.

So why is he working for Kria then ?
Well, DP went and died ... twice ...
(bad DP, no cookie)

:D

My guess, is that Kria just picked up DP's idle househelp and put it to work and she's not returning it to DP.
Who knows, there could be a whole bunch of undeads in Kria's household that used to be DP's.
Offcourse, DP can just make himself some new ones, so he probably don't mind.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Starcat5

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on November 08, 2010, 12:52:00 PM
In life Devin was a bully Being from Abel's hometown, who got himself kill in a ambush/raid against Kria and DP's crew.  Why Kria turned Devin into a undead servant, I have no clue?  

Kria didn't turn Devin into an undead, Dark Pegasus did it.
I believe it was mentioned somewhere that Devin was one of the very first attempts to make undead servants by DP.

So why is he working for Kria then ?
Well, DP went and died ... twice ...
(bad DP, no cookie)

:D

My guess, is that Kria just picked up DP's idle househelp and put it to work and she's not returning it to DP.
Who knows, there could be a whole bunch of undeads in Kria's household that used to be DP's.
Offcourse, DP can just make himself some new ones, so he probably don't mind.

...and then the whole issue with the Undead Race happened, and before DP could re-kill him, Kria had him adopted.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Shachza

Quote from: starcat5 on November 08, 2010, 01:36:08 PM
...and then the whole issue with the Undead Race happened, and before DP could re-kill him, Kria had him adopted.

I'm guessing that Kria knew Devin before he died.  It's not like Kria lived in a bubble that only Abel's family was privvy to.  She probably demanded to have him once he was animated.
            <-- #1 that is!

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Shachza on November 08, 2010, 01:49:17 PM
Quote from: starcat5 on November 08, 2010, 01:36:08 PM

I'm guessing that Kria knew Devin before he died.  It's not like Kria lived in a bubble that only Abel's family was privvy to.  She probably demanded to have him once he was animated.

Kria may have known him or maybe not but she was the one to pick up the pieces
Abel #1 page 70
Abel #1 page 71
Which Kria may have used the DP's spell on Devin.

PBH

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Kattuccino on November 07, 2010, 02:45:48 AM
Well, I guess by this point it's safe to assume Abel doesn't recognize Devin. I have to say this: Abel's face in panel two is ADORABLE.

edit: of course the wards probably only applied to the room, so Devin managing to get in the kitchen makes sense, but now I'm wondering the obvious question that if Deebs is not considered magical OR physical than what is she?

Adorable, yes, but probably more of an expression of confusion/ astonishment at the fact that Deebs apparently slipped past all his wards  :erk
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

iceick

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on November 08, 2010, 12:32:21 PM
Quote from: Naldru on November 08, 2010, 11:11:27 AM

The idea of Aniz being the father of Devin as well as Devin was one of those speculations that came up around the same time as Aniz also being the father of Dan.  Amber made the point of saying that she wasn't going to comment on it.  I find the rumor of Devin and Abel being half brothers as being much less likely than the idea of Dan and Abel being half-brothers.

Yes, It is only rumour, I would like to think Devin and Abel being half-brother is more likely, than Abel and Dan being half-brothers, but it is only rumour... Two incubus in the same area doing the same thing, would seem unlikely given that the number of adventure type in the area.  Cubi race are few in number still after the war, and only a few leave SAIA in those days.  Still, Aniz would be busy with only one son/daughter who showed potential.

PBH
After rereading over Abel's story, I do agree that itis more likely for Devin to be Abel's half brother than Dan. Devin's mother admits to killing all of her other children and his father disappeared right after he was born whereas wit Dan his father was around until he was captured by some currently unknown force.

AmigaDragon

Not so unknown. Presumably the dragons took him, since they currently have him. Though he could have been delivered to them by someone else, too.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: D'ymkarra on November 08, 2010, 10:51:55 PM

Adorable, yes, but probably more of an expression of confusion/ astonishment at the fact that Deebs apparently slipped past all his wards  :erk

I recall something of an old story about a farmer who built a fence around his kitchen garden, trying to keep a rabbit out.  And the rabbit was still eating his veggies even after days checking for holes or tunnels.  Until one day, he left the gate open and waited until the rabbit show up.  Rabbit finally did show up and run out of the garden..never to be seen again.

PBH

Where was our pink bunny when Abel was casting his wards?