10/25/10 [9-19] A sacrifice from the heart.

Started by joshofspam, October 25, 2010, 08:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

Well I guess we seen it coming. But it sure didn't dawn on her till the last minute.

I just hope she doesn't do anything that would put the rest of the escaping slaves at risk. Though I guess all their chances might be better if the embassy is there and Cedric is still snoozing.

It sounds like only nobility have magic here. So the people giving chase might be limited to the same degree as Joshua and friends are. Well except maybe numbers perhaps.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Inumo

Darc_Sowers

Quote from: joshofspam on October 25, 2010, 08:12:05 PM
Well I guess we seen it coming. But it sure didn't dawn on her till the last minute.

If Matt (my husband) decided to pull a similar stunt, I'd be horrified as well. No one wants to think of a loved one doing something that may end in their death. There's a reason Joshua didn't tell Marilyn what his plan was. He knew she'd never agree to it if he told her.

And yes, only the nobility have magic in Astoria. Non-nobility who end up having a talent in magic get taken from their families and "adopted" by one of the noble houses. That's what happened to Wynnie - http://www.rcsitravel.net/archive/2008/09/29 So no, the guards do not have magic. They have weapons and numbers. Joshua does not have weapons, he's just cunning.  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darc_Sowers on October 25, 2010, 11:40:13 PM
If Matt (my husband) decided to pull a similar stunt, I'd be horrified as well. No one wants to think of a loved one doing something that may end in their death. There's a reason Joshua didn't tell Marilyn what his plan was. He knew she'd never agree to it if he told her.

Suitably horrified, yes. However, look at the whole situation this way, josh - we're looking at it from the point of view of standing on the sidelines, and having time to think things over, ponder, etc. So us being able to see it coming is hardly a surprise. Marilyn not seeing it coming, though? Not that unreasonable.

And yes, only the nobility have magic in Astoria. Non-nobility who end up having a talent in magic get taken from their families and "adopted" by one of the noble houses. That's what happened to Wynnie - http://www.rcsitravel.net/archive/2008/09/29 So no, the guards do not have magic. They have weapons and numbers. Joshua does not have weapons, he's just cunning.  >:3

... otherwise known as a "sneaky sonofa..." - if only because he really is a son of a female dog. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

far more noble than any nobility I've seen sometimes.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

joshofspam

Quote from: joshofspam on October 25, 2010, 08:12:05 PM

If Matt (my husband) decided to pull a similar stunt, I'd be horrified as well. No one wants to think of a loved one doing something that may end in their death. There's a reason Joshua didn't tell Marilyn what his plan was. He knew she'd never agree to it if he told her.hough it probably won't hurt the

To be fair to Marilyn, Joshua did kind of drop this on her when her confidence in him was slipping. So it isn't surprising that she would be the last to figure it out when you put yourself in their shoes.

Though it probably wouldn't hurt their chances if the guards are block heads. Maybe they haven't even thought about waking Cedric yet
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

HEX the Dark

You don't need blockheads to loose a trail in a forest at night, even if the one you're hunting is dressed in white fur.

Given, the guards are not bloodhounds, literary...

Drayco84

A man sacrificing himself for his wife and child...
By my standards, there's better ways to die, but that ranks pretty close to the top.

On the other hand, since this is a flashback, we know that they survive, and successfully escape, so it kinda sucks out the drama.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Drayco84 on October 26, 2010, 10:40:31 PM
A man sacrificing himself for his wife and child...
By my standards, there's better ways to die, but that ranks pretty close to the top.

Really? What else can you think of that's a better way to die, than to die saving someone you love?

(Thoughts along the lines of a comment from one of Lois McMaster Bujold's books come to mind: "You've always said you wanted to die of extreme old age, in bed, with a wife." "Mine, by preference.")

Quote from: Drayco84 on October 26, 2010, 10:40:31 PM
On the other hand, since this is a flashback, we know that they survive, and successfully escape, so it kinda sucks out the drama.

Oh, I dunno. It's a matter of how. Also, since we haven't seen her dad in the strip (I think - please feel free to link me to proof otherwise) we don't know if he was hurt on the run...

Drayco84

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2010, 05:06:51 AM
(Thoughts along the lines of a comment from one of Lois McMaster Bujold's books come to mind: "You've always said you wanted to die of extreme old age, in bed, with a wife." "Mine, by preference.")
^^^
The above, and/or surrounded by loved ones.
Failing that, I'd take "Peacefully in my sleep.", kinda like my great-grandpa. (He leaned back and closed his eyes to let some eyedrops take effect. Yeah, that was it.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Drayco84 on October 28, 2010, 03:42:33 PM
Failing that, I'd take "Peacefully in my sleep.", kinda like my great-grandpa. (He leaned back and closed his eyes to let some eyedrops take effect. Yeah, that was it.)

... rather than screaming in terror, like his passengers. ;-]