building a dvr/dvd player/entertainment system on the cheap

Started by thegayhare, October 09, 2010, 07:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

hi hi folks

I'm currently trying to bash together a dvr/dvd player... yadda yadda yadda on the cheap using an old desktop I happen to have laying around.

the only problem is the build in sound card doesn't work and hasn't in again but no big deal I talked to my boy and he's gonna bring be down one he has laying around.  I also ordered a pci tv tuner so that should be all set

I figure the tv tuner will take the place of the video card freeing up a slot. and I won't need the modem anymore, the either net card will be usefull for updating codecs and the like so that'll stay.

I know VLC is a good video player but does anyone know of any good video capture programs.  or is there anything I've overlooked?

Fibre

Well, I haven't tried it personally, but MythTV seems to be a popular solution for "home made" DVRs, if your hardware supports it and you want to go that route.

ashitaka34

Chances are if you're ordering a newer video card the driver should have DVR settings. Also if you have Widows 7 (any version) or Vista Home Premium or Professional, it'll have a built in DVR support (I think there's some bizzare XP editions that may too =/). If you don't have any of those Freevo is the next best thing. I like it much more than MythTV. You really should try both to see which one you prefer however, since they're free anyhow.

thegayhare

well lemmy see I'm doing it on the cheap like I said so the 9 dollar tuner I bought its a 2003 ATI Rage Pro Turbo 8MB AGP 2X... looking at it I might try the ATI program.  but I'll keep the other programs in mind to.

I'm also thinking about getting a game emulater.  maybe a 16 bit or a satun or ps1  but thats a later project  first I gotta get it up and running

thats everyone so far and if there is any more advice keep it comming

RobbieThe1st

MythBuntu: http://mythbuntu.org/downloads
Download the ISO, burn it to a CD using a CD burning program like This one, stick the CD into your DVR machine and boot it.
It should automatically boot up, autodetect everything and - provided your hardware is supported - start using it. You should probably install it if you like it, though.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.