Started by Drayco84, October 05, 2010, 01:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

Quote from: Drathorin on October 05, 2010, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 05, 2010, 06:11:33 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on October 05, 2010, 05:48:46 PM
I just broke my arm in five places.
This means I obviously have five arms.

Yes, but your wording is so different to the wording using in the comic that I'm not sure they can be directly compared.  What would it imply if you had written "I just cut my thumb off five times?"

That I'd just cut off my thumb in five places at the same time.

As in the word "Just" implies it happened within the last few minutes. Or at least a small enough frame of time to make it impossible to surgically reattach and heal, and cut it off again, five times in a row.

Sometimes you have to use common sense, and understand slight bits of slang.

But mostly...Common sense.

Remember, it is a super power. Deadpool says so.

Common sense... exactly the problem i had mentioned on the IRC.
In our world, sure - you have one neck, a set of four thumbs.... and so does pretty much everyone else. In such a setting the message is made unambiguous simply by imposing reality constraints.

In furrae, however , there are many multi-headed mythos, (Oolong in a sense, the one that chloroformed dan - ie. at least two species) .. heck, even a LCL cubi who got a tentacle cut off can be classed as decapitated by a joke.
The constraint is no longer present, and while i agree that assuming 5 heads overlooks the simplest possibility in a silly way, it isn't stupid, as the alternative is still plausible - after all dragons have enough magical and other power to go toe-to-toe with a triwing - morphing another head  should be trivial for them
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Damaris

You know. I'm pretty sure Amber settled this one.  Let's move on. To talk about something else.

So, for those of you not following - stop nitpicking on the beheadings.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Jasonrevall

As Jafar put it so amazingly and hysterically well "Death! By beheading!" (It's really fun to spam this directly from the movie over and over into walkie-talkies while waiting for someone at an amusement park)

Also this answers my question of how exactly the cubi could stand up to the dragons, I wasn't sure if a single cubi could kill a dragon but now I am happy and content to now have this knowledge :3.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Spooks on October 05, 2010, 07:58:22 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 05, 2010, 07:54:35 PM
To be fair, I thought Pyroduck's mom had five heads too. :c

Reading comprehension for the looooooose.
It wasn't my first reaction, but it could easily be read that way, yeah. o.o "I was just amputated 4 times!" also sounds like I'd have had all my limbs chopped off, not just one chopped repeatedly.

Entertainingly, the image that came to my mind was one swipe of his hand, with 5 fingers, each with a claw on the end.

Of course, this is invalid, because Amber's characters usually have only 3 fingers + thumb... *grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

I think the level tech makes sense. After all toast and waffles have to taste better then missiles and plasma.

That and the creature council probably arranged accidents for anyone before Jyras who had bright idea's that would even the playing field between creatures and beings.

No ones going to lay a finger on my waffles :shifty
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Congo Jack

Quote from: AmberCross on October 05, 2010, 03:59:38 AM

4) Back in the early days of DMFA, Amber did a list of 'ten things to improve webcomics'

IIRC, those were things to make the comic more popular. Note the difference here. It is important one.  :mowtongue

Quote from: AmberCross on October 05, 2010, 03:59:38 AM
Do all the dragons really want to kill Dan? Even the ones he seems to be friends with like Shanna the amazon or that red dragon he owed money to?

I thought Shanna is 'were' with her 'big form' being rather wyvern-like.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 06, 2010, 02:43:27 PM
Back to the strip's first question, is this guy an incubus or demon or what?

I'm gonna say probably an Undead Demon........unless he's an Undead Incubus who has lost his headwings......  :erk

Well at least we know he's Undead! :D

ishidan

I laughed for five minutes straight over Fluffy giving the double deuce.

D'ymkarra

'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

AmberCross

Quote from: Congo Jack on October 06, 2010, 03:54:39 PM
IIRC, those were things to make the comic more popular. Note the difference here. It is important one.  :mowtongue
This is a very astute point, and well pointed out. I concede that these things don't make for better webcomics
Is that official? I don't remember if Amber ever actually said...
Quote from: ishidan on October 07, 2010, 01:45:36 AM
I laughed for five minutes straight over Fluffy giving the double deuce.
Indeed, that very much made my day.

Arcblade

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 06, 2010, 09:05:06 AM
Entertainingly, the image that came to my mind was one swipe of his hand, with 5 fingers, each with a claw on the end.

Of course, this is invalid, because Amber's characters usually have only 3 fingers + thumb... *grin*

Yeah, that was what I pictured too.

...dangit, Llearch, you're right.  Darn your ruination of my awesome mental image.   :mowtongue

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hey, I didn't ruin it at all. Quoar has three fingers and a thumb.

... he could have been using both hands, and swiping that way...

AmberCross

And yet, the way he'd have to do it for it to qualify as 'one swipe' just really isn't quite as awesome as the one hand thing. Of course we may be forgetting that cubi have a secret... tis a very special secret... and it is that they can shapeshift. O_o

Seems a little more feasible however, that rather than sharp nails he used sharp wing tips and did the swipe that way. Generally when cubi go badass, they get all sorts of wing limblets going on. It's not hard at all to believe Quoar had five.

Anker Steadfast

Offcourse, a cubi's tentacle wings is not limited to only 3 limbs, so one of his wings could easily have been morphed into 5 very sharp tentacles/scythes.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Keleth

Help! I'm gay!

ishidan

Quote from: Drathorin on October 08, 2010, 02:14:58 PM
http://missmab.com/Comics/Abel_99.php

Warning It's gorey.

Also look. 5 pieces :c
I count six from the neck up, eleven altogether assuming her left arm isn't also bisected.

llearch n'n'daCorna

To be fair, two of those eleven are purely hair.

Congo Jack

Quote from: AmberCross on October 07, 2010, 09:36:43 PM
Is that official? I don't remember if Amber ever actually said...

Not much official aside from demonology 101 where it's said about were amazon tribes.

AmberCross

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 09, 2010, 09:56:47 AM
To be fair, two of those eleven are purely hair.
And to be counter fair, it's a little difficult to say just what is purely 'hair' with her seeing as how her snake heads were hair as a being. It's possible there's something else up with the rest of her hair. It's unlikely.... but you never know.