10/04/10 [9-16] - Quietly planning

Started by Madd the Sane, October 04, 2010, 12:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

So, this is what he was doing.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Inumo

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. This is the thing about slavery, and doing it harshly. There's always someone smarter than you are. And at the very least, there's someone smarter than you think they are, which is often enough. If you back said person against a wall, they'll often strike out, and that can be lethal.

For both of you.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 04, 2010, 08:23:25 AM
Heh. This is the thing about slavery, and doing it harshly. There's always someone smarter than you are. And at the very least, there's someone smarter than you think they are, which is often enough. If you back said person against a wall, they'll often strike out, and that can be lethal.

For both of you.

Though magic probably let them monitor them better then a southern plantation owner.

That would probably explain Raewyn interest with people they pick up with powers. No powers. No slaves.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Drayco84

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: joshofspam on October 04, 2010, 10:01:58 AM
Though magic probably let them monitor them better then a southern plantation owner.

Or the Romans. Or the Greeks, although they went about it differently. Or the Visigoths, although they also had a slightly different take. Or the Normans. Or...

Let's just take it as read that there's been a lot of slavery over the centuries. While the magic might make it _possible_ to keep a closer eye on your slaves... that presumes that the person watching cares. And one of the things that's become apparent is that your average slave owner cares that he gets his money, not that his slaves are happy and cheerful and well fed and stuff.

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but to me, slavery just seems to be a bad deal all around. And that's just because the people you're enslaving are, well, people. *shrug*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

HEX the Dark

History shows that oppressed people will openly revolt after a certain time. How long this time is, is another question. Magic seems to be a good tool to prolong that time.

Drayco84

Quote from: HEX the Dark on October 04, 2010, 05:30:40 PM
History shows that oppressed people will openly revolt after a certain time. How long this time is, is another question. Magic seems to be a good tool to prolong that time.
Oh so many factors to consider... One: How badly you treat them to begin with. Two: The terminology you use. (See Also: "Employee", depending on the corporation and the era. If you don't think the terms are similar in function, look up the history of "Railroad" and "Coal Mining".) Three: How much you can intimidate them. (IE: Scare them crapless.) and finally Four: How many of them think they can take you and your supports out.

Magic certainly helps in 3 and 4, but... Memento Mori.

(Hey Matt, have I killed all the catgirls in the .gif yet? :P)

Darc_Sowers

Quote from: Drayco84 on October 05, 2010, 01:31:53 AM
(Hey Matt, have I killed all the catgirls in the .gif yet? :P)

I don't know... that one in the corner still looks like she's twitching. :P