Amnesia: What was I talking about again?

Started by superluser, September 03, 2010, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Has anyone else been looking forward to Amnesia: The Dark Descent?  The game makers seem like they're able to really make things scary (ask anyone who's played Penumbra Overture and they're likely to tell you about the time that they hid behind a box for what seemed like hours in sheer terror of the dogs), and this one...well, honestly, I don't know much of anything about it.

I do know that you're in a castle, you've lost your memory, and you have a note from yourself telling you to kill someone in the castle.  And that the isolation and creepiness will probably return.  Thus far, I've tried the demo and it's not as good as Penumbra, but the demo is pretty short.  The conceit of playing a character who is really frightened of every little gust of wind (hey, you'd be too if you woke up in a deserted castle with no memories) is interesting thus far.  We'll see if it grates later on.

Edit: Here's a good review.

Well, the full game is out now, and it looks like my opinion of the demo was given a little too soon.  The actual game develops much more slowly, and thus far, I've been jumping every time I see a shadow crossing my window.  The anxious tension that you get from this game is far worse than Penumbra: there are a number of times I've looked down a dark corridor in the game and said ``nope.  Not going down there,'' because I'm terrified of what my character could experience.  The devs are really good at getting inside your head.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

alexwars1

Played it, it's bloody, bloody good. Had to stop playing about halfway through cause I was so fething scared.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: alexwars1 on November 02, 2010, 12:26:22 AM
Played it, it's bloody, bloody good. Had to stop playing about halfway through cause I was so fething scared.

More than two months? Are you on drugs or something?

Don't necro. Otherwise I'll get grumpier at you, and you won't like that. Failing that, one of the other mods will get there first, and you'll like that even less.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears