29/08/2010 [DMFA #1142] - When in doubt - armour plate

Started by Tapewolf, August 29, 2010, 07:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on August 29, 2010, 12:22:44 PM
Actually, I think Abel's just trying to pull the knife out of the armour.

Oh, I didn't see the knife at first.  The blade is about the same colour as the armour, and the handle is about the same as the leather strapping.  I assumed he was gesturing at the breastplate.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Inumo

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2010, 12:43:11 PM

Oh, I didn't see the knife at first.  The blade is about the same colour as the armour, and the handle is about the same as the leather strapping.  I assumed he was gesturing at the breastplate.

When I first saw it, I thought he had turned the tip of the knife into the armor somehow. :P

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Inumo on August 29, 2010, 12:21:22 PM
No... you can see the tip of the knife bent behind a bit. I doubt it got stuck, especially considering it's made out of wing.
I agree. And I wouldn't be surprised if Abel would try to keep it out of Jyrras' reach.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

ishidan

I'm just waiting to see what other "inventions" it is that sleep-deprived Jyrras has come up with.

Infranscia

First off, I agree that Change's classes have been coming in handy for Abel.

Secondly, Jyrras is acting a lot like a certain elf wizard.

EDIT: Oh hey!  I think Abel even turned his head-wings into little armor head-fins.  Nice!   :mowhappy
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Quote from: ishidan on August 29, 2010, 01:26:00 PM
I'm just waiting to see what other "inventions" it is that sleep-deprived Jyrras has come up with.
Sleep deprivation is pretty nasty.  IMHO, Jyrras needs to be hit from behind with some kind of stun spell and tucked into bed.

VAE

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2010, 01:46:51 PM
Quote from: ishidan on August 29, 2010, 01:26:00 PM
Sleep deprivation is pretty nasty.  IMHO, Jyrras needs to be hit from behind with some kind of stun spell and tucked into bed.
Tape... you wouldn't believe some of the craziness you can come up with while half asleep.
I have come up with a few character concepts that way even, not to mention a lot of jokes
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

joshofspam

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but doesn't it seem that Jyras would be A sweet pastrey to a cubi from Abel's clan?

Though with all that Abel's done it is a good show that their infinity does not completely rule who they are. Yes. Abel may play around with your mind. But Abel will never try to hurt you if he doesn't have too.

But on the bright side Jyras unarmed himself. Right into Abel's chestpate. Which is just a little concerning when you relies he notices the new armor first and not the knife embedded in it.

Has anyone noticed how many plot relationship possibilities that Abel has?

1.We have Jyras who has a crush on him.

2.Aaryanna and Mink wanted to be close to him in the academy.

3.While it hasn't been touched on yet. Kria would probably Try to set up her daughter with him. Of course Regina would be after Abel too with her being after all the cute boys in the world.

I think Abel has the longest list of people who could be used for a plot of love inters in the entire cast. Not that Abel is actually intersted in finding true love though.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: joshofspam on August 29, 2010, 04:56:12 PM
I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but doesn't it seem that Jyras would be A sweet pastrey to a cubi from Abel's clan?

Though with all that Abel's done it is a good show that their infinity does not completely rule who they are. Yes. Abel may play around with your mind. But Abel will never try to hurt you if he doesn't have too.

But on the bright side Jyras unarmed himself. Right into Abel's chestpate. Which is just a little concerning when you relies he notices the new armor first and not the knife embedded in it.

Has anyone noticed how many plot relationship possibilities that Abel has?

1.We have Jyras who has a crush on him.

2.Aaryanna and Mink wanted to be close to him in the academy.

3.While it hasn't been touched on yet. Kria would probably Try to set up her daughter with him. Of course Regina would be after Abel too with her being after all the cute boys in the world.

I think Abel has the longest list of people who could be used for a plot of love inters in the entire cast. Not that Abel is actually intersted in finding true love though.

1. Abel doesn't know about Jyrras' crush on him yet, and is likely too oblivious/ disinterested to figure it out.

2. The last time we saw Aaryanna and Abel in the same room, she was busy trying to tear his wings off, and not in a good way (though that exchange between Aary and Mink was pure win!).

3. I think Mink's interest in Abel was more platonic than romantic; perhaps partially driven by his own affinity for Joy?

4. We know that Kria is planning something big between Dan and Lorenda, though right now playing matchmaker is probably pretty low on her list of priorities.

And in Abel's own words...
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

joshofspam

True D'ymkarra. That list seems to be full of past tense what ifs and stretches in there.

It almost is like Amber is setting up a mind field so we can't tell where Abel is going. But I wonder if Abel has noticed he has been placed in a situation that kind of goes against his lone man nature.

I think Fa'lina had more intended then just Abel keeping an eye on Dan.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Kuari

...ok, yeah, in continuation to my comment about last comic, that's definitely a fricken laser sharpened knife 0.o...  just...  wow...  piercing plate armor with an absentminded toss.  Dan needs to get a sword made by Jy, though maybe he has one already

Anker Steadfast

Abel is probably only interested in dating himself.

And I can fully understand his desire to wear armor around Jyrras .. dang, be careful with the knife, why don'tcha ?
As for the armor being roman ... what ?
We are not in Rome, but Lost Lake !

Anyways, most romans wore leather, lamellar or ringmail type armor, only rich people had full plate armor.
If you are curious what leather and lamellar type armor looks like, have a look at this page.
They can be properly pretty.

:D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 29, 2010, 06:53:22 PM

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't see where you got that from...

EDIT:
If you meant my link, that was about whether there was such a thing as muscle-sculpted armour (and I guess, whether that was gay).

Ghostwish

This may be a bit off topic of the armor, but I finally noticed something in panel 2. Cutting (mutilating) his hair has made some certain assets look much larger. Which can only mean one thing...

EARZILLA IS COMING!! FLEE FROM THE CUTENESS!!

Icalasari

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

TheAuldGrump

Quote from: LionHeart on August 29, 2010, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2010, 09:46:06 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on August 29, 2010, 09:34:18 AM
The colour is definitely armour-ish, but no armour has a six-pack or a bellybutton. Well, no straight armour ...  :B

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/annatar/muscuirass.html

...Morrowind, what have you done to me...
Looks a bit like the 'armoured' costumes Batman and Robin had in Batman Forever.
And let us not forget Sergeant. Colon of the Ankh Morpork City Watch.

Miniature by Paul Kidby.

The Auld Grump

Foxxy

Quote from: Icalasari on August 29, 2010, 07:29:55 PM
He looks stabbity in the first panel o.o;

JyJY does look a little murder bound in that first strip. Lucky Chicki isn't there for any of this....better yet, maybe she is? Maybe hiding around a corner with her handy camera....?
Since when AREN'T Penguins evil?

VAE

Quote from: TheAuldGrump on August 29, 2010, 07:32:24 PM
Quote from: LionHeart on August 29, 2010, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2010, 09:46:06 AM
The colour is definitely armour-ish, but no armour has a six-pack or a bellybutton. Well, no straight armour ...  :B

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/annatar/muscuirass.html

...Morrowind, what have you done to me...
Looks a bit like the 'armoured' costumes Batman and Robin had in Batman Forever.
And let us not forget Sergeant. Colon of the Ankh Morpork City Watch.

Miniature by Paul Kidby.

The Auld Grump

Oh... that's so awesome!
danman loves discworld, especially books dealing with the Watch
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

That_wolf

Abel needs a hug...

Scow2

I love the Discworld Books focusing on Ankh Morpork City watch as well, to the point of designing a D&D campaign based on a similar concept!

Anyway... I think Jyrras needs to get some sleep as well. Hopefully with Abel. :mowtongue

*looks at the local time of post* I think I should get some sleep too... And, unfortunately, it won't be with Abel...

Infranscia

I want to see Abel's clan symbol shining out through his armor!  :mowmeep

Abel does not look amused.

Also, I wonder if Jyrras got the 'not sleeping' idea from what he's learned about Cubi?

...And now I can seriously picture Abel giving Jyrras a lecture on how he's not Cubi, or something.

...If Jyrras starts trying to make something that will make him gain energy from emotions or somesuch... >_>
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Unsilenced

Quote from: LionHeart on August 29, 2010, 09:19:14 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on August 29, 2010, 09:02:23 AM
Ooh, I like the new outfit! And not even Abel can make armour look gay ... wait ... is that a bare midriff?

I stand corrected.
Looks like part of the armour to me.

On the contrary, It wasn't uncommon to have armor have six-packs carved on them for extra manlyness.

They also often had excessively large crotch plates.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

ishidan

Quote from: Infranscia on August 30, 2010, 12:40:06 AM
Also, I wonder if Jyrras got the 'not sleeping' idea from what he's learned about Cubi?

...And now I can seriously picture Abel giving Jyrras a lecture on how he's not Cubi, or something.
I can see Abel succeeding in that argument, then agreeing to guide the dizzy and disoriented Jyrras back to his bedroom.
Which then gets creatively reported.
Wouldn't be the first time Abel attempted to help Jyrras and got misunderstood ...remember http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_576.php

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on August 29, 2010, 06:53:22 PM
Greek, actually.
QuoteThe muscle cuirass is greek in origin.

Of course, in today's overly phobic society the ancient greeks are more known for their pederasty than for anything else  :B

Quote from: Unsilenced on August 30, 2010, 02:18:45 AM
On the contrary, It wasn't uncommon to have armor have six-packs carved on them for extra manlyness.

They also often had excessively large crotch plates.
Well, the ultimate in manlyness was arguably "Tom of Finland". Also "excessively large" ...  :erk

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Bjalf on August 30, 2010, 03:43:04 AMWell, the ultimate in manlyness was arguably "Tom of Finland". Also "excessively large" ...  :erk

GAH!!
I googled it.
My eyes, my eyes - They cannot unsee it!

:ape

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 29, 2010, 12:43:11 PM

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who did't see it, I thought he was gesturing at himself as well. But then, I also have a tendency to focus on the words, and what is written, more than the pictures.

LTBats

I really do sympathize with Abel. And I'm a little jealous of being able to create armor out of headwings.
I'm always sitting next to the guy who flails his arms when explaining things despite if they're holding a pointy object or not.

Alondro

At this level of sleep deprivation, it won't be long until Jyrras begins hearing the voices whispering that they're coming to kill him in his sleep... forcing him to remain awake even more until he completely goes insane! 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Bjalf

Ooh! Ooh! Abel should totally shapeshift into a bed!

:bunny

Madmann135

Quote from: LTBats on August 30, 2010, 09:36:04 AM
I really do sympathize with Abel. And I'm a little jealous of being able to create armor out of headwings.
I'm always sitting next to the guy who flails his arms when explaining things despite if they're holding a pointy object or not.

You are not the only one. 

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.