08/13/2010 [PF #131] - Shortest whodunnit ever

Started by Sofox, August 13, 2010, 09:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alteisentier

Quote from: Inumo on August 21, 2010, 08:32:35 PM
Quote from: Alteisentier on August 21, 2010, 08:20:24 PM
Quote from: Inumo on August 21, 2010, 08:20:08 PM
Altei seems to be in a troll-y mood... Dunno him well enough to tell if that's just how he is or not, though. Anyone able to clarify this for me?

There's a Llearch certified disclaimer in my signature.

There's a rather bold line between brutal honesty and trolling. Brutal honesty is saying, "This comic looks ugly." Trolling is saying, "This comic looks ugly. How could you do something this awful? Why does it take you 6-10 hours to do something so horrendous? How could you @%&! up the line art so much that it still looks this bad?" If you weren't intending to be insulting, you'd stop at your first post, and not even bring it up over in Tapewolf's art thread, especially considering that it's irrelevant over there... I'm gonna stop before I get into a flame war...

No no, that's not trolling; that's called answering questions. 6-10 hours for that is absolutely astoundingly mind boggling, you do not understand how crazy that amount of time for a few lines and using the fill tool is. I really want to know how he manages it.

And the comic does look pretty ugly, I'd rather just see Ren's line art, it's is valid criticism, even if you don't like it.

And why is it irrelevant in an art thread? Why can I not criticism art in an art thread? The rules state I can. So I'm pretty sure I can.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Keleth

Help! I'm gay!

Amber Williams

All joking aside though, I'm going to step in and be a big mod bully and recommend that even if people are giving honest criticism, to try to at least attempt to be a bit more sugar-coating with their horse pills.

Because keep in mind the most important thing that criticism is supposed to do is it is supposed to help those who read it improve what they are working on.  If what you are saying is doing nothing but making the person feel bad about what they are doing...then no...you aren't giving an honest criticism, you are being mean.

Alteisentier

Quote from: Amber Williams on August 21, 2010, 08:38:22 PM
All joking aside though, I'm going to step in and be a big mod bully and recommend that even if people are giving honest criticism, to try to at least attempt to be a bit more sugar-coating with their horse pills.

Because keep in mind the most important thing that criticism is supposed to do is it is supposed to help those who read it improve what they are working on.  If what you are saying is doing nothing but making the person feel bad about what they are doing...then no...you aren't giving an honest criticism, you are being mean.

Alright alright, you have a point there. I'll blame this one on being a bit tired and having been nudged here to take a look at the art. I'll calm down a bit on the ranting, but I would really like to know just how he does this, so he can at least improve on it.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

VAE

Quote from: Inumo on August 21, 2010, 08:32:35 PM

There's a rather bold line between brutal honesty and trolling. Brutal honesty is saying, "This comic looks ugly." Trolling is saying, "This comic looks ugly. How could you do something this awful? Why does it take you 6-10 hours to do something so horrendous? How could you @%&! up the line art so much that it still looks this bad?" If you weren't intending to be insulting, you'd stop at your first post, and not even bring it up over in Tapewolf's art thread, especially considering that it's irrelevant over there... I'm gonna stop before I get into a flame war...

*You* are going to stop it how exactly?  :erk

Quote from: Alteisentier on August 21, 2010, 08:35:08 PM

No no, that's not trolling; that's called answering questions. 6-10 hours for that is absolutely astoundingly mind boggling, you do not understand how crazy that amount of time for a few lines and using the fill tool is. I really want to know how he manages it.

And the comic does look pretty ugly, I'd rather just see Ren's line art, it's is valid criticism, even if you don't like it.

If he doesn't have a tablet and all the fancy things and does it by mouse, i can clearly see how it can take a few hours.
Or does your 5 years of experience grant you super-quick and milimetre-accurate wrist movements too?
(allright , i concede - you get those from Starcraft   :mowhappy )

EDIT: quotetrim
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Rather than clutter this thread further still, I have posted the description of how Project Future is assembled in the Library.

It is here:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,7697.msg337201.html#msg337201

It also contains the results of my investigation into the aliasing problem, which I suspect is the root cause of the jagged edges which Alt is complaining about.

By changing the rendering chain I have been able to reduce it considerably, but at the cost of making the character outlines less bold and making the comic look slightly less vivid, at least to my eyes.

I am thinking of posting a poll in the PF section about that, to see which version people prefer.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alteisentier on August 21, 2010, 08:20:24 PM
There's a Llearch certified disclaimer in my signature.

I should point out, I didn't certify this disclaimer at all. I merely suggested it might be better to include one, and accepted the one supplied as being better than none at all...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears