08/08/2010 [DMFA #1135] - Cover blown! Panic! Panic!

Started by Bjalf, August 08, 2010, 02:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 08, 2010, 11:49:13 AM
I wonder... when Dan returns to the Academy, is Abel going to end up taking some kind of refresher course then...?

Sure, after shouting at Fa'Lina for a week (for tricking him into this mess), sulking for another week (because Fa'Lina was right), and then catching up on his grass growing class.

Actually, when they return to SAIA, Abel could probably teach that class. Right now, Abel's education is on steroids.

That_wolf

Quote from: Turnsky on August 08, 2010, 11:59:40 AM
Quote from: Lucheek on August 08, 2010, 11:48:41 AM
My prediction:

SUCKER PUNCH: THE REVENGE

better prediction: Abel becomes bachelor of the year after Jy.

Yeah. Nothing realy can counter that prediction. I tried.
Abel needs a hug...

lilpuppy23

Well... This should be very interesting.

My guess is that Abel is just going to make a run for it.

Grey Wolf

Does the fact that the insectis race has no nudity taboo make the nekkid photos more, or less, creepy?

Also, Chicki is adorable. I predict Mink-like popularity for her.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Drayco84

HOLY CRAP! AMBER REALLY DID MAKE A BUFFER!

I'm scared and It feels like a hot place has suddenly gone cold... Somebody hold me...

Quote from: Turnsky on August 08, 2010, 11:59:40 AM
Quote from: Lucheek on August 08, 2010, 11:48:41 AM
My prediction:

SUCKER PUNCH: THE REVENGE

better prediction: Abel becomes bachelor of the year after Jy.

More accurate prediction: Abel becomes bachlorette of the year.

That_wolf

Abel needs a hug...

Bjalf

Quote from: That_wolf on August 08, 2010, 02:07:35 PM
...That implies...what, now?

That dozens of pictures of a completely nekkid Abel disappear.

ooklah

I really didn't think of the bugs as a chatty race... or at least in the language we could understand with them having no lips and all. Unless Chicki is an exception.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Grey Wolf

Quote from: ooklah on August 08, 2010, 03:09:30 PM
I really didn't think of the bugs as a chatty race... or at least in the language we could understand with them having no lips and all. Unless Chicki is an exception.

I think you're right; Chicki is an exception. I think their race is reclusive and distrusting of other races, so I'm pretty sure their cell bills are rather small. That's why I thought it was so funny that she wanted to be a famous reporter and "know famous things".
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Attic Rat

Quote from: Jasonrevall on August 08, 2010, 07:42:16 AM
I know it is highly unlikely but the funny thought occurred to me. What if that insectis is actually jyrras wearing a patch? That would be highly hilarious.

I like this idea.
Jyrras could easily hide from the press by wearing a patch, and what better disguise than to blend in with the paparazzi?
This being Jyrras, the insectis could well be a mecha suit, too

Jyrras has patches and industrial-strength wealth, Abel is a shape-shifter who feeds on confusion... There's a lot of publicity going on... Those two could mess with a lot of minds in a very short period of time.

Ah, well! So can Amber...
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Bjalf on August 08, 2010, 03:29:33 AM
Quote from: Drathorin on August 08, 2010, 03:22:25 AM
Jyrras seems to have this thing where he ...ya know, doesn't like people to know he's gay, and he's not entirely sure of himself and he sure wouldn't want people to know that. *Cough*

Not anymore. He seems to have "come out" rather completely.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_859.php

I don't know why I never made the connection between the rainbow flag and digging for gold before just now... maybe it was because of the previous comic throwing me off.

Quote from: Grey Wolf on August 08, 2010, 01:42:17 PM
Does the fact that the insectis race has no nudity taboo make the nekkid photos more, or less, creepy?

Having no taboo on a subject doesn't mean they have no interest there.

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Captain

Quote from: D'ymkarra on August 08, 2010, 08:20:59 AM
Quote from: PantheraLeo on August 08, 2010, 06:10:36 AM
If (s)he was going to freak out about Abel being a shape-changing soul sucking demon? Why is sticking around out-lining out the reason (s)he should be running for it's life? Why isn't (s)he afraid (s)he's about to be cut into little ant chunks? (S)he clears know more then a few details, Why isn't (s)he afraid Abel's going to turn around and fry it's chittenous self for outing him?

Well, considering how far off-base her first assumptions/ rumors/ info about cubi were, she may not realize just *how* dangerous they *can* be...Or, she could just be that oblivious. I do love Abel's reaction though; he seems more interested now in doing damage control, than actual damage to anyone else.

Insectis have a hard outside probably giving them superior physical defenses. Plus, they're practitioners of Fire/Ground magic. Of course, maybe he can freeze her to death (how are the temperatures underground?) or hit her with lightening. If they're both element resistant, Abel probably loses.
If you want to visit me:
Download this: http://shoddybattle.com/downloads
then go to Captain's Modded Server and look for captaiN

Tapewolf

Abel has only just woken up from a nightmare about becoming a monster.  I rather doubt he's about to use physical force.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

That_wolf

I predict persuading/ offer to meet Jyyras. 'Hi, Jyyras, I brought you a paparazzi.'
Abel needs a hug...

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: That_wolf on August 08, 2010, 06:31:25 PM
I predict persuading/ offer to meet Jyyras. 'Hi, Jyyras, I brought you a paparazzi.'

Ha ha ha - ok, this one rocks.
I wonder what Jyrras would do ?

"st .. stay back, my mom is a lawyer!!"

:D

That reminds me, isn't she kinda famous too ?
Oh, Chicki is going to have a field day with that.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

That_wolf

Abel needs a hug...

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Captain on August 08, 2010, 05:45:42 PM

Insectis have a hard outside probably giving them superior physical defenses. Plus, they're practitioners of Fire/Ground magic. Of course, maybe he can freeze her to death (how are the temperatures underground?) or hit her with lightening. If they're both element resistant, Abel probably loses.

The point was Chicki is asking for it. ;) It's like finding a feral bangle bengal tiger, running up behind it, and pulling it's tail ... really hard. Then waiting to get mauled before before deciding "Yes, that was tiger!". :P

As for the temperature underground? Interesting topic, (typically a near constant 50–54 °F, iirc, ones you get a few feet down. Come rain, sleet, or fire.)  There are some really awesome home heating and cooling systems that take advantage of that.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_heat_pump
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Inumo on August 08, 2010, 02:39:01 AM
I guess Abel forgot that Dan's wings are much more standard than his... Though I find Chicki going naughty-paparazzi funny.

Dan was also born in the area, and is a life-long resident, not counting the time he was away adventuring.  Dee started hiding her head-wings, but not her back-wings, after Dan was born. 

The longest term residents may remember that Dee is a Succubus, but to most in the area she's just some kind of Creature, and Dan is a hybrid.  Dan's been mistaken for an Angel before.  As long as Dan keeps his head-wings hidden, he's fine.  He'd create a lot of questions if he hid his back-wings.

Lego3400

They had vending machines at SAIA. I think they likely have cameras. That is all.

Infranscia

Okay, on the questions on Abel knowing what a camera is, well, take a closer look at the title in strip 630.  Granted, there's a fair chance that he might have learned what a camera was since then (like while setting the lake on fire as Merlitz or while watching soap operas), though I guess is nothing else, the words 'pictures I took of you' would probably be enough to clue him off.

And I think that Chicki is probably just naïve.  She probably grew up underground and the above world is probably so new and exciting for her.  Whether out of curiosity, or to learn things so that her people can know about the above world, she's probably trying to learn and see as much as possible.  Though in trying to learn so much in a short time, she's probably missing out on a lot of details.

...And come to think of it, the main reason Amber had an Insectis, of all races, as the reporter is probably because they'd have less of a bias against Cubi, and thus would be less likely to chop off his head or run away or somesuch at the sight of Abel.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Alondro

*Charline appears annoyed*  Hey boys.  I think da bug knows too much.  Fit 'er fer three pairs ah cement shoes.  We can't have nobody breaking our kind's cover! 

And while yer at it, check on the last stoolie...  :prisoner
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Silverling

Riddle78

Well...If Abel's brain had an operator,I'd put money on said operator hammer-fisting a VERY large red button with a pulsing light inside.
However,I can't make out that button's label...

Bjalf

Quote from: Infranscia on August 09, 2010, 12:21:27 AM
Okay, on the questions on Abel knowing what a camera is, well, take a closer look at the title in strip 630.

There's a title! There's actually a frickin' title.  :doh

Well, that answers my question. I did think Abel sold himself cheaply for 50 bucks.

Quote from: Riddle78 on August 09, 2010, 01:33:03 AM
However,I can't make out that button's label...

TILT!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: That_wolf on August 08, 2010, 07:55:52 PM
According to Kyra, she is.

Who? I don't recall anyone in the comic named that - was that one of the cameos?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

PantheraLeo

Here's another off the wall mood killing question: Assuming the story takes place in roughly our time +/- 50 years from now (The main characters just like living in the past like the Amish or something.[1]) That would be Abel left the world at large roughly in the 1600 or 1700 hundreds. Which means he left in what be European colonization the America? Which means he completely missed the Industrial Revolution and everything after that. (Which explains a few things[2]) Or at least, what DMFA version of those eras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera

He mysterious knows about modern vending machines and the odd modern artifacts (Like the red wagon he hauls Daniel around in the Academy with after this 'affinity test' Even after the Industrial Revolution, that was no small thing to just have handy for idle use.) He has no problem casually walking around, understanding, and doing business in what looks like a modern shopping mall. He can't be all that out of touch. Even if only a novelty of the rich, things like a modern camera's precocious predate Abel, and given it's popularity in common user before and up to the advent of a vending machines I don't see how he could have missed it. There's even a few songs called 'Shutterbug', if that gives you a hint how big a coup the camera was when it was easy to mass produce!

So in all this time, and all his musing with Daniel or Jyyras sense leaving the Academy ...

I'm wondering why he wouldn't know what a digital camera is? Mayhaps he likes showing off, and got his tail stuck in the bear track this time?

(Yes, I'm pushing the nerd factor to the higher end of the scale to even stop to think about things like this!)
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: PantheraLeo on August 09, 2010, 09:20:05 AM
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manger for returns.

Where do I find your manger, and what sort of food do you have in it?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Here's another off the wall mood killing question: Assuming the story takes place in roughly our time +/- 50 years from now (The main characters just like living in the past like the Amish or something.[1]) That would be Abel left the world at large roughly in the 1600 or 1700 hundreds. Which means he left in what be European colonization the America? Which means he completely missed the Industrial Revolution and everything after that. (Which explains a few things[2]) Or at least, what DMFA version of those eras.

He mysterious knows about modern vending machines and the odd modern artifacts (Like the red wagon he hauls Daniel around in the Academy with after this 'affinity test' Even after the Industrial Revolution, that was no small thing to just have handy for idle use.) He has no problem casually walking around, understanding, and doing business in what looks like a modern shopping mall. He can't be all that out of touch. Even if only a novelty of the rich, things like a modern camera's precocious predate Abel, and given it's popularity in common user before and up to the advent of a vending machines I don't see how he could have missed it. There's even a few songs called 'Shutterbug', if that gives you a hint how big a coup the camera was when it was easy to mass produce!

So in all this time, and all his musing with Daniel or Jyyras sense leaving the Academy ...

I'm wondering why he wouldn't know what a digital camera is? Mayhaps he likes showing off, and got his tail stuck in the bear track this time?

(Yes, I'm pushing the nerd factor to the higher end of the scale to even stop to think about things like this!)

i'll contest this theorem by noting that SAIA would have had newer stuff coming in beyond abel's time..
he did mention he slept through the sixties, after all.

Logic... how does that work?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Alteisentier

Holy crap what do you take and where can I get it?
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

joshofspam

You know this seems surprisingly like how questions sometimes get out of control in the forum. Did you get inspiration from us Amber?

But on to the comic. The fact that she isn't afraid of Abel isn't so surprising. After all being underground most of their life's, there is two ways or maybe three ways to take it.

1. Being incredibly xenophobic of other races.
2. Not caring about the land and people above.
3. Asking question like theirs no tommorrow and talking faster then any normal being could answer with no break until that round of question ends.

If she has that much too say. Then her personal favorite being or creature is probably Cubi.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.