08/08/2010 [DMFA #1135] - Cover blown! Panic! Panic!

Started by Bjalf, August 08, 2010, 02:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjalf

Well, it had to happen sooner or later.

Edit:
For some reason, the expression "let it all hang out" comes to mind.

Did anybody else see a version of the strip where Chicki speaks normally? Stupid me, I pressed "reload" without saving a copy first, and now Chicki is speaking with an insectis accent again.

Jigsaw Forte

Psst! Do Insectis...y'know, bleed?

That might be useful information...

Inumo

I guess Abel forgot that Dan's wings are much more standard than his... Though I find Chicki going naughty-paparazzi funny.

That_wolf

Fun thing I noticed, Abel has the combo of bat/feathery wings, and the dual eyes, like the Love clan. Also, Chiki, pics, or it didn't happen.
Abel needs a hug...

Jairus

Quote from: That_wolf on August 08, 2010, 02:58:54 AM
Fun thing I noticed, Abel has the combo of bat/feathery wings, and the dual eyes, like the Love clan. Also, Chiki, pics, or it didn't happen.
Yeah, it's something that Aniz was very interested in, or at least found desirable.

Also, any bets that Jyrras would buy that camera and memory unit/film in a heartbeat if he knew what was on it?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Bjalf

Quote from: Jairus on August 08, 2010, 03:03:03 AM
Also, any bets that Jyrras would buy that camera and memory unit/film in a heartbeat if he knew what was on it?

:D

Well, just to help Abel keep his cubi secret, of course. Not to make posters to hang on the bedroom walls. Huuuge posters ... no, certainly not!    :U

- Jyrras, why are there huge posters of nekkid Abel in your bedroom?
- ... err ... umm ... why not?
- Point.

PantheraLeo

I think Chicki is playing with Able, and totally enjoying it!

Look out Wildy, you may have competition for the title 'puppet master'!
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Keleth

Quote from: Bjalf on August 08, 2010, 03:13:18 AM
Quote from: Jairus on August 08, 2010, 03:03:03 AM

:D

Well, just to help Abel keep his cubi secret, of course. Not to make posters to hang on the bedroom walls. Huuuge posters ... no, certainly not!    :U

- Jyrras, why are there huge posters of nekkid Abel in your bedroom?
- ... err ... umm ... why not?
- Point.

Jyrras seems to have this thing where he ...ya know, doesn't like people to know he's gay, and he's not entirely sure of himself and he sure wouldn't want people to know that. *Cough*

But it could be people are just lusting after their gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay fantasies :3
Help! I'm gay!

Bjalf

Quote from: Drathorin on August 08, 2010, 03:22:25 AM
Jyrras seems to have this thing where he ...ya know, doesn't like people to know he's gay, and he's not entirely sure of himself and he sure wouldn't want people to know that. *Cough*

Not anymore. He seems to have "come out" rather completely.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_859.php

Thirty Second Artbomb

"So much for plan A. No worries. Plan B's are more fun anyhow!"

Raskahn

"Dozens and dozens of pictures I took of you while you were naked and a Griffon."

I almost spilled my coffee while reading.  :) Wait a second, doesn't Abel normally charge $50,- for naked pictures?

llearch n'n'daCorna

If Chicki took dozens of pictures...

... why did (s)he turn the flash on, afterwards?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on August 08, 2010, 03:29:33 AM
Not anymore. He seems to have "come out" rather completely.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_859.php

Only in Lost Lake, I'm not sure the folks who know of him through the Bachelor of the Year thing know.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 08, 2010, 05:37:24 AM

My camera defaults to flash on, and forgets it's turned off when you switch mode...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Bjalf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on August 08, 2010, 05:24:56 AM
Wait a second, doesn't Abel normally charge $50,- for naked pictures?

Does he know what a camera is, anyway? He's been out of the loop for hundreds of years. Maybe he thought he just sold his paint covered clothes?

I just thought of something. Chicki really wants to interview Jyrras. Abel really, really wants those pictures. There's a possible deal in the making.

Is Abel going to sell out Jyrras? I'll fix it so that you get an interview, and I get that camera. Possible, but rather unlikely. Being techno-clueless, Abel might end up with the camera, while Chicki keeps the memory card.

Or is Jyrras going to buy them to help Abel? That could result in sooo many embarrassing situations ...  :eager

PantheraLeo

If (s)he was going to freak out about Abel being a shape-changing soul sucking demon? Why is sticking around out-lining out the reason (s)he should be running for it's life? Why isn't (s)he afraid (s)he's about to be cut into little ant chunks? (S)he clears know more then a few details, Why isn't (s)he afraid Abel's going to turn around and fry it's chittenous self for outing him?

I could be just enjoying Abel reaction too much (that's a define possibility! muhaha), but Amber has been know to setup twists and such like this before. (It's why I like the comic so much.) I'm ~98% sure, (s)he just wrapping him around her little finger just to see how far she can go before making with the extortion [edit] or other games[/edit].

(SA: Fa'Lina, Wildy, and other obscure references Amber likes to dig out of her bag of tricks when she thinks no one remembers.)

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_008.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_120.php
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

RobbieThe1st

Comic relief. :P

(Or, its as tapewolf said, and a "feature"/glitch)

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Jasonrevall

I know it is highly unlikely but the funny thought occurred to me. What if that insectis is actually jyrras wearing a patch? That would be highly hilarious.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: PantheraLeo on August 08, 2010, 06:10:36 AM
If (s)he was going to freak out about Abel being a shape-changing soul sucking demon? Why is sticking around out-lining out the reason (s)he should be running for it's life? Why isn't (s)he afraid (s)he's about to be cut into little ant chunks? (S)he clears know more then a few details, Why isn't (s)he afraid Abel's going to turn around and fry it's chittenous self for outing him?

Well, considering how far off-base her first assumptions/ rumors/ info about cubi were, she may not realize just *how* dangerous they *can* be...Or, she could just be that oblivious. I do love Abel's reaction though; he seems more interested now in doing damage control, than actual damage to anyone else.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Tapewolf

Quote from: D'ymkarra on August 08, 2010, 08:20:59 AM
Well, considering how far off-base her first assumptions/ rumors/ info about cubi were, she may not realize just *how* dangerous they *can* be...Or, she could just be that oblivious. I do love Abel's reaction though; he seems more interested now in doing damage control, than actual damage to anyone else.

If Abel doesn't panic completely, "Aren't you be afraid of 'Cubi?" might be a good question to judge this.
Also, if he's been seen shapeshiftng, assuming a 'Cubi-like form is probably better - more honest - than trying to conceal what he is.

RandomMetaphysics

Quote from: Bjalf on August 08, 2010, 06:00:01 AM
Quote from: Lone_Wolf on August 08, 2010, 05:24:56 AM
Wait a second, doesn't Abel normally charge $50,- for naked pictures?

Does he know what a camera is, anyway? He's been out of the loop for hundreds of years. Maybe he thought he just sold his paint covered clothes?

I just thought of something. Chicki really wants to interview Jyrras. Abel really, really wants those pictures. There's a possible deal in the making.

Is Abel going to sell out Jyrras? I'll fix it so that you get an interview, and I get that camera. Possible, but rather unlikely. Being techno-clueless, Abel might end up with the camera, while Chicki keeps the memory card.

Or is Jyrras going to buy them to help Abel? That could result in sooo many embarrassing situations ...  :eager

I'm pretty sure that the students of SAIA are kept up to date with the outside. They have to learn how to blend in with society and freaking out at the sign of a camera and or a camera flash would be really... conspicuous. Not to mention that our lil giddy bug friend here just said (s)he took Abel's picture. If he doesn't know exactly what the means, he can probably conclude that means his cover has been compromised. His expression seems to reflect this.
Quote from: D'ymkarra on August 08, 2010, 08:20:59 AM
Quote from: PantheraLeo on August 08, 2010, 06:10:36 AM

Well, keep in mind a lot of people think all Cubi are pretty much like Nact'Larn and her clan, and being a secretive race in general, not much other information is available to go against these assumptions. Knowing Abel, he'll probably just break the camera and knock her out with magic or something... unless there are other reporters.

... Ok, upon realizing that more reporters could be nearby I think it's safe to say that Abel is in a real pickle here.

That_wolf

I think Abel's going to basically kidnap her, into Jyrases house. Also, I think Jyras will see the camera.
Abel needs a hug...

Tapewolf

Quote from: RandomMetaphysics on August 08, 2010, 08:54:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that the students of SAIA are kept up to date with the outside. They have to learn how to blend in with society and freaking out at the sign of a camera and or a camera flash would be really... conspicuous.

I would be surprised and somewhat horrified if they didn't have some kind of Being technology/society class for that very reason.
More likely, Abel hasn't taken it for a long time.  He didn't seem to be showing much signs of leaving the Academy, after all - if he'd known that he was going to be living outside for a couple of years, he might have taken a refresher course.

That_wolf

Yeah, but I'm sure he's learned SOME things in the past. ... How long has it been since Dan went to/left SAIA?
Abel needs a hug...

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 08, 2010, 09:15:23 AM
I would be surprised and somewhat horrified if they didn't have some kind of Being technology/society class for that very reason.

The problem with technology is that it changes very rapidly, and you would need regular refresher courses to stay on top of it. And in real life, you will meet people who are surprisingly uninterested in aspects of their own society.
- Naah, I tried it, but it wasn't my thing.
- I never bothered to learn that stuff.
- I don't read books. (my favourite)

A much more useful class (IMHO) would be cold reading, a favourite among con men beings everywhere. Bluffing skills don't get outdated.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on August 08, 2010, 09:52:27 AM
The problem with technology is that it changes very rapidly, and you would need regular refresher courses to stay on top of it. And in real life, you will meet people who are surprisingly uninterested in aspects of their own society.

Yes, but there are a few key differences here.  Firstly, you'd probably take a refresher just before you leave, which as mentioned, Abel has done unexpectedly.
Secondly, you have the problem that if you can't fit in, someone may well take your head off as with Mink's mother.
Thirdly, if you're going to kidnap/kill someone and assume their identity, you're going to be royally screwed if you don't even understand what their trade is, let alone how to do it  >:3

Granted, Abel isn't really the type for the latter, but if you're going to live in a Being society, you're going to have to know about it.  Granted, it might be easier to assume a Demon form or something...

QuoteA much more useful class (IMHO) would be cold reading, a favourite among con men beings everywhere. Bluffing skills don't get outdated.

True, and very useful.  But I can also see some people (foolishly) going "I don't need that, I can read minds"...

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 08, 2010, 10:25:56 AM
Firstly, you'd probably take a refresher just before you leave, which as mentioned, Abel has done unexpectedly.
Oh, I agree, but in that case it would be part of a plan, known in advance. And then it would include in-depth classes on specific subjects, like dentistry for anxiety cubis. They would certainly plan ahead, and take appropriate classes before they leave. It's just that things never go according to plan, so I suspect there are several classes in ad-libbing, cold reading, blending in, throwing off suspicion, vanishing in a puff of smoke, recognizing new technology, and so on.

Secondly, you have the problem that if you can't fit in, someone may well take your head off as with Mink's mother.
Yes, but that was arguably a result of racism, and is impossible to guard completely against. When you choose a side by assuming an identity, you also define your enemies, the "other side".

Thirdly, if you're going to kidnap/kill someone and assume their identity, you're going to be royally screwed if you don't even understand what their trade is, let alone how to do it  >:3
I think that would be too specialized for a class, anyway. But I can well imagine generalized classes on how to kidnap, interrogate for information, hide the body, become a master of any trade, weave a convincing web of lies, 1000 iron-clad excuses, and so on.

Abel wasn't prepared for this little adventure, so whatever information he has on life outside of SAIA is probably somewhat outdated. We still don't know for sure if Abel 1) just sold his paint covered clothes, or 2) willingly performed a strip-tease in front of a camera in strip 630.

He's wised up in a hurry in the current strip, though.   :aack   I have a feeling Jyrras will open the door just as Abel is trying for a (probably) non-fatal blow to the (assumed) head of an adversary of an unfamiliar species, with intent to kidnap, ravish, etc, beginners classes every second thursday afternoon.

Lucheek

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on August 08, 2010, 11:45:01 AM
Oh, I agree, but in that case it would be part of a plan, known in advance.

I wonder... when Dan returns to the Academy, is Abel going to end up taking some kind of refresher course then...?

Turnsky

Quote from: Lucheek on August 08, 2010, 11:48:41 AM
My prediction:

SUCKER PUNCH: THE REVENGE

better prediction: Abel becomes bachelor of the year after Jy.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..