06/08/2010 [DMFA #1134] - Good Luck Indeed

Started by RandomMetaphysics, August 06, 2010, 05:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandomMetaphysics

Well I think I'll just lay on the floor here till I can get back on my feet. I laughed waaaaay too hard after that last panel.

Garsemor

Whoa, talk about missinformed. :eek
So she can spot a cubi but knows very little about them.

Tapewolf

For those letters, I'd say a ring modulator, Korg Monotron and an enormous amount of editing, I think.  Auditions are welcome :P
I really love Abel's reaction in the last panel...

Quote from: Garsemor on August 06, 2010, 05:23:19 AM
Whoa, talk about missinformed. :eek
So she can spot a cubi but knows very little about them.

They're a fairly secretive race.  If you read back to the description of clan Nact'larn, they're one of the most open about it, and they're all-female.

Also in Christian mythology, 'cubi were sexless and assumed a given gender in order to seduce someone.  (One of those other comics about 'Cubi also plays on this in about... 3 years time, only Dorcan takes it rather less well than Abel does here)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Bjalf

Well, the "say what" gag made me literally lol   ^_^

Let's see. Abel's wearing a skirt, which makes him cuter than Fa'Lina. He's visiting Jyrras, bachelor of the year. He's (obviously?) a cubi, who uses beds but don't sleep. Nope, no story there!

And yet again Abel is questioned about his gender, clothing and sexuality.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on August 06, 2010, 06:07:42 AM
Let's see. Abel's wearing a skirt, which makes him cuter than Fa'Lina. He's visiting Jyrras, bachelor of the year. He's (obviously?) a cubi, who uses beds but don't sleep. Nope, no story there!
And yet again Abel is questioned about his gender, clothing and sexuality.

I don't know that the insectis knows enough about that sort of thing to put two and two together like that.  (S)he might assume that he's going for the 'scary cow lady'.

EDIT:  But that doesn't mean that the newspaper wouldn't.

PantheraLeo

How exactly does one keep a gender identity straight when one can change gender on a whim? Here I was wondering why all the list clan leaders were female or why Able liked skirts ...

I wonder what Cubi physicists make per hour?
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Bjalf

Quote from: PantheraLeo on August 06, 2010, 06:28:22 AM
How exactly does one keep a gender identity straight when one can change gender on a whim? Here I was wondering why all the list clan leaders were female or why Able liked skirts ...

Cubi don't really change genders, they just alter their bodies.

If you're born (or hatched, or whatever) with squiggly bits, then you're always going to be a squiggly, no matter what your body looks like.

Zinc210

Duuuuude, I just have to remove my Lurk Shield to say that this one made me laugh  :) What a nice way to start off your day at 3 am!

Also, the way the insectis reporter speaks is just too cute!

Omega

Tapewolf

So, I wonder if Abel has figured out the whole photography thing yet?

Raskahn

Heh, the first thing that came to my mind when I read Amber's comic description was, "Tape will have the equipment to bend a voice, in such an unholy way, that it will fit."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, Amber.

You nasty-minded bitch. *admires*

... but you're gonna have to get up earlier in the morning if you wanna beat the radio play folks. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Fragmaster01

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on August 06, 2010, 07:06:50 AM
Heh, the first thing that came to my mind when I read Amber's comic description was, "Tape will have the equipment to bend a voice, in such an unholy way, that it will fit."
And if he somehow doesn't, we shall clearly have to go on an epic quest to make it so, just so people can listen to that episode and say "Whoa. What the-" in a voice made of confusion.

Drakesfyre

Happy almost birthday Amber!

On the comicnote, "What" is the highlight of my day.

Alondro

*Charline de Lyon eye-narrows at the Insectis and gets out an even BIGGER can of Raid*   It dares mock the Cubi race?!  >(
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Keleth

Quote from: Alondro on August 06, 2010, 08:33:12 AM
*Charline de Lyon eye-narrows at the Insectis and gets out an even BIGGER can of Raid*   It dares mock the Cubi race?!  >(

The cubi race needs more mocking 8D

I mean, we got Dan and Abel for spokespeople here...and they kinda deserve a lot of laughs that get thrown in their direction :b
Help! I'm gay!

Lucheek

Oh my goodness.... she's adorable. I love the little happy prance in the second panel. "Find out famous things!"

AmigaDragon

Other than referring back to cartoons where they use a lot of buzzing, I can't imagine what those consonants will sound like.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Jasonrevall

I'm actually very interested to see how the radio project team will do this. I actually think of prawns from District 9 when she(?) talks.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasonrevall on August 06, 2010, 11:16:01 AM
I'm actually very interested to see how the radio project team will do this. I actually think of prawns from District 9 when she(?) talks.

Sadly I never saw that.

I'm taking my cues from this:
http://missmab.com/Demo/HG10.php

...Need a few more parts off ebay before I can put together the ring mod, though.

Jairus

I'd actually dig my microphone out of hiding from wherever it is to match this challenge.

Also, poor poor Abel. You know, you and Dan would cause less confusion if you'd dress a little more manfully. Just sayin'.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Bjalf

Quote from: Jairus on August 06, 2010, 11:46:42 AM
You know, you and Dan would cause less confusion if you'd dress a little more manfully.

But Abel's favourite food is confusion ...

Raskahn

Quote from: Bjalf on August 06, 2010, 11:49:13 AM
You know, you and Dan would cause less confusion if you'd dress a little more manfully.

But Abel's favourite food is confusion ...

And we all know you can't spell genderconfusion without....I'll go back to my lair.

lilpuppy23

I can't quite read it right, is she(?) saying Chichi or Chicki?

Either way though, It sounds like a female name, though chances are, Amber might throw us a giant Curve-ball in terms of gender.

So lets see, We're gender confused about the insectis, the insectis is gender confused about Abel, and chances are, Abel is about as confused as we are.

Tapewolf

I'd actually dig my microphone out of hiding from wherever it is to match this challenge.

If you could - I'd like Abel's lines for this strip too :P

insidexml

Here I was wondering why all the list clan leaders were female or why Able liked skirts ...

I thought Quoar was male? :U
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Tezkat

To Cubi, I suppose that sort of thing is a little like cross dressing is to us. Some might genuinely feel more comfortable in the skin of the opposite sex. Some might shift for the lulz or some kind of sexual fetishry. Some might simply treat it as an elaborate costume. Some might find it creepy and just not do it. Some might even be flexible enough to shift back and forth on a whim.

(For some reason, I can't help picturing some otherwise hot-blooded heterosexual young Incubus discovering this ability for the first time--"HAHAHA! BEWBS!! AWESOME!!!") :animesweat

Quote from: Jasonrevall on August 06, 2010, 11:16:01 AM

Hmm... I actually think most of that could be accomplished with creative acting performance. Just substitute some clicks, grunts, or other mouth/throat noises for certain phonemes.

I'll do a test run when I get home to my mic in a few days...
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Attic Rat

Ah, you started a new thread for this... Imagine my confusion. Or not.

The insectis is apparently speaking with his/her mouth (I'm guessing "her") and those mouth-parts are not perfectly adapted to the language they are speaking. Yep, certain sounds would be different... As if your lips were made of bone.

Real-life insects breath through vents in the sides of their abdomens, and so wouldn't be able to speak using their mouths, but DMFA isn't the real world. I'm happy with that.

Now the good part: Will Abel correct Chicki's assumption, or will he have a little fun with her confusion?

This would be the perfect time for Abel to alter his appearance to match someone else nearby, and start some really gloriously wild and confusing rumors. Abel doesn't like doing that sort of thing, but the temptation... "Okay, you've caught me..." (change).
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Bjalf

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on August 06, 2010, 01:09:03 PM
I can't quite read it right, is she(?) saying Chichi or Chicki?

I'd say it was either Chicki or Chicri. I'm betting on Chicki.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 06, 2010, 01:22:53 PM

If you could - I'd like Abel's lines for this strip too :P
Tell me which strips you want and I'll see what I can do. It probably wouldn't be for a week, though, I've got something coming up next week that'll leave me a little out of action.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me