27/07/2010 [DMFA #1130] - We're walking in the aiiir...

Started by Tapewolf, July 27, 2010, 02:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrycloth

Maybe the jet (a) looks enough like a griffon or (b) looks enough like an inanimate object that the griffons don't bother it? We don't see much of it from that strip.

Or it could be something boring like an industrial strength griffon-repelling charm. :B

Keleth

Or planes could fly at upwords of 20,000 feet. Where most living creatures don't have enough oxygen to breathe.

The difference in speed from 30 miles an hour to about 500 could also have something to do with it.

:3
Help! I'm gay!

lilpuppy23

Been A while since we have seen any of the world's major fauna.

Also, In regards to identifying landmarks, I know how Abel feels.
I cannot, for the life of me, Find my School on Google Earth.

And my School's roof is the most insidious, glaring, horrible color in the world. You'd think it would be easy enough to find.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Draken on July 27, 2010, 11:20:21 AM
Quote from: Rambon on July 27, 2010, 11:13:29 AM
I think that "rabbit" Is actually an albino Griffin.

Or it could be a baby griffin with the momma givin a ride.  Who knows.
Could be. I myself assumed a Gryphon C with a Gryphon B on its back, and the others being two Cs and one B. Then again, Bs are supposed to be smart, so maybe they're As?

And to Tapewolf: Demonology describes them as bright eyes, or wasn't that what you meant?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Michael Chandra on July 27, 2010, 02:47:14 PM
And to Tapewolf: Demonology describes them as bright eyes, or wasn't that what you meant?

Well, I mean how the entire eye is green etc apart from the pupil.  Compare with Dan or Abel's eyes.

Quote from: Grey Wolf on July 27, 2010, 10:33:22 AM
I still think, given his clothing choice, he's headed somewhere chilly. Is SAIA in the mountains? He still needs to see Fa'lina, right?

According to Fa'Lina's entry in the Clan Leaders arc, SAIA is in a separate dimensional plane.

Quote from: Jasonrevall on July 27, 2010, 12:49:52 PM
Or maybe a Jas 39 Gripen (Griffin).  XD

Okay, that made me chuckle...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Captain

I assume those are all gryphon  C. Though one of them looks like B. But wouldn't the B see through the disguise?
At least I would expect a different reaction than the C's. So does this mean Abel is disguised as kid/really young gryphon C because C's can't breed with B's?

As a side note, I'm pretty sure we don't have F-16s yet (which is sad).
If you want to visit me:
Download this: http://shoddybattle.com/downloads
then go to Captain's Modded Server and look for captaiN

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2010, 03:37:53 PM

Well, I mean how the entire eye is green etc apart from the pupil.  Compare with Dan or Abel's eyes.

(I always seem to forget at least one detail.) They don't all have glow in the dark eyes, the "smaller" griffin has solid white eyes. As for not having fighter jets? That depends on the time line and if 'Project Future' is part of this continuity.
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Infranscia

...I just pictured a classroom full of Gryphon-shifted Cubi.  I imagine some of the students would have had fun with that:

Girl Cubi 1: Chi!
Girl Cubi 2: Chee!!
Abel: Will you cut that out?!?!

I mean, let's face it, despite the fierceness of Gryphon C, the happy-faced 'Chi!' greeting is cute and fun. :mowhappy

Quote from: Grey Wolf on July 27, 2010, 10:33:22 AMI still think, given his clothing choice, he's headed somewhere chilly. Is SAIA in the mountains? He still needs to see Fa'lina, right?

According to Fa'Lina's entry in the Clan Leaders arc, SAIA is in a separate dimensional plane.

At any rate, it seems there are some secret entry points that very few know of, between the rats getting there via sewers and Abel heading there on his own.  My guess is that there are probably some portals, teleportation points, or other such magic enchantments, linking only to SAIA or otherwise, that allow access to those who know where to look while still hiding the academy and the inhabitants thereof.

Or maybe it's something like in D&D, where there's a material plane and an etherial plane that overlap, and yet traveling between the two is difficult, and SAIA is in the equivalent of an etherial plane, but in a fixed location relative to Furrae.  Though this seems less likely to me, because even if it were the case, I'd think Dragons and Fae, with their abilities, would probably be able to sense and/or find it.  Thus, if that were the case, Hizell might would have found it while using Siar's link.  Or maybe Hizell's a local Dragon or something, and thus doesn't have that ability.  I dunno.

At any rate, whatever was used for SAIA works, and pretty well at that.

Quote from: Captain on July 27, 2010, 03:59:45 PMI assume those are all gryphon  C. Though one of them looks like B. But wouldn't the B see through the disguise?

I'm reasonably sure that the smaller one is just a younger Gryphon C.  Also, according to Demonology, it seems that Gryphon C gets along with the other two kinds of Gryphons.  Combining that with Gryphon C's lack of intelligence, and it wouldn't really matter as much what kind of Gryphon Abel looks like.

...I also noticed that the Gryphon at the bottom has eyelashes.  I thought the visible eyelashes thing might have just been due to people wearing mascara (because you can see them on Dan before he gets shifted into Alexi), but now I'm not so sure.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Akisohida

The only time you will see a full body shot of naked Abel. ;P

Anyways, he makes a neat gryphon! I think the whole flight thing is surviving and 1) Not crashing and 2) not being a snack. XP
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Could be. I myself assumed a Gryphon C with a Gryphon B on its back, and the others being two Cs and one B. Then again, Bs are supposed to be smart, so maybe they're As?

... and maybe the B's are smart enough to realise that destroying anything in the air that isn't a gryphon isn't exactly a sane long-term approach, and are willing to let things slide without letting the big ones get worked up?

Just a thought.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kibin

Explained in the Demonology 101 page for Gryphon B.

"Seeing as the large gryphons are prone to attacking anything non-gryphon, having a gryphon pilot often acts as one of the safest means of travel if one doesn't warp or wants to move fast."

Presumably, Gryphon Cs see the gryphon pilot in the cockpit(most flying creatures have VERY good eyesight, for finding prey in the air) and assume that the plane accompying them is alright and don't attack. Or something.

joshofspam

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 27, 2010, 06:01:40 PM

... and maybe the B's are smart enough to realise that destroying anything in the air that isn't a gryphon isn't exactly a sane long-term approach, and are willing to let things slide without letting the big ones get worked up?

Just a thought.

Demo page does mention this.  "In recent times though there has been a growing resentment among Gryphon B races of the boost in technology (especially planes) and it is rumoured that some groups of Gryphon B types will goad their larger but dumber relatives to deliberately attack planes. Despite growing tensions, most beings and creatures love gryphons."

Makes me wonder how popular Jyras is with the Gryphon b group?

Wonder if a Gryphon b set up that run in while Jyras was pilating the mecha Gryphon?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Lucheek

Chiiiiiiiiii! Abel gryphon is adorableee....

also the image of a C carrying its babines on the back is cute.

Rambon

look's like it was.

And on another topic related to the strip... It might be just me, or does Abel's bill in the third panel remind you of some kind of duck Chicken?

PantheraLeo

Any one else think it's odd that so much effort was put into making the three variants of 'griffins', but their names a A, B, and C? Even Lesser Griffin, Griffin, and Greater Griffin seem the more efficient. (I must remember to send a apology to Amber, seems I spend all day ripping holes in her work.)

(Yes, his does seem to have a chickens beak.)
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 27, 2010, 11:17:49 PM
Any one else think it's odd that so much effort was put into making the three variants of 'griffins', but their names a A, B, and C? Even Lesser Griffin, Griffin, and Greater Griffin seem the more efficient. (I must remember to send a apology to Amber, seems I spend all day ripping holes in her work.)

(Yes, his does seem to have a chickens beak.)

I just think it's a nice and simplified mode of classification.  One can't expect all worlds to have a perfect classification for its species.  It's the same thing for the Phoenixes, as they are only related by aesthetic features.

Incidentally, it also allows people to be creative. :B For A, B, and C, in my stories I tend to fully call them Anthromorphized, Bestial, and Colossus Gryphons, respectively.

I think the only Gryphon C in the panel too is the big one with the bebeh on its back. x3  The others seem smaller or bigger depending on perspective.  The one furthest right is the closest.

Though this entire post may just be an excuse for me to point out that Gryphonized Abel is cute as all hell. XD
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

ooklah

I'm rather glad to know those wings are not completely useless.

But Abel! They are just so happy to see a fellow gryphon!!  :U
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Michael Chandra

Huh. Just checked the Demonology races, and noticed a trend. All races that are seriously Being-like in shape have normal eyes with white + pupil. All other races, so insect-thingies, Mythos, Gryphons, Dragons, etc, all have the eyes one colour and the pupil sometimes another. So it appears to be a Being-like trend.
Then again, some Mythos have white eyes. Might be an artistic thing then. Though the main trend does appear to be non-being-like shaped creatures have those full eyes.

Also, chi!

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2010, 06:59:38 AM
I'm kind of wondering where he's going - Jyrras didn't seem to live that far away...
Of cause, we don't know just how LARGE Jyrras' estate is..
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Bjalf

Quote from: Infranscia on July 27, 2010, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Wolf on July 27, 2010, 10:33:22 AMI still think, given his clothing choice, he's headed somewhere chilly. Is SAIA in the mountains? He still needs to see Fa'lina, right?

At any rate, it seems there are some secret entry points that very few know of, between the rats getting there via sewers and Abel heading there on his own.

I thought he was going to visit Jyrras.

Quote from: Psaakyrn on July 28, 2010, 01:56:00 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 27, 2010, 06:59:38 AM
I'm kind of wondering where he's going - Jyrras didn't seem to live that far away...
Of cause, we don't know just how LARGE Jyrras' estate is..

He's just lost. Professor Trik skipped the whole "spotting landmarks" thing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Bjalf on July 28, 2010, 03:47:51 AM
I thought he was going to visit Jyrras.

Jyrras and Wildy seem to be able to walk there, that's the problem.

QuoteHe's just lost. Professor Trik skipped the whole "spotting landmarks" thing.

I'd suggest that if Abel finished the course without knowing why he should be a Gryphon, either he was skimping or Trik wasn't doing a very good job...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ArchTeryx

It's really nice to *at last* see Gryphon Cs in the comic!  The "CHII!" is just a standard flock call and greeting, I figure; Gryphon Cs may be none too bright, but most species of social birds have an identity call they chirp at each other from time to time.  :mowmeep

Though they are big enough that accidentally getting eaten looks to be an even bigger risk then them chomping Abel.  Better stay straight and fly right, Abel!

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 28, 2010, 04:09:12 AM

I'd suggest that if Abel finished the course without knowing why he should be a Gryphon, either he was skimping or Trik wasn't doing a very good job...

Keep in mind who they have or had on staff there. For example, the Doctor that does the affinity tests when new students arrive.

Trik: "Ok, class the course is over, time for the final exam. I hope you all paid attention, this is a pass or fail examination!"

<some time later amidst the screaming>

Student: "Professor it ate Mink!"
Trik: "I told Mink she should have been talking less in class! I didn't tell you would all die horrible gruesome deaths if you failed, right? Oh well, silly me."
Student: "Nirg"

<Some time later when the screaming stops>

Trik: " Hmm, no one passed this year. Too bad Able got called away by Fi'lina, I'm sure he would have passed..."

Congo Jack

What, no invisibility spell in this setting? Such reclusive person as Abel would sure have learned it otherwise. :mowninja

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 28, 2010, 06:37:51 AM

Trik: " Hmm, no one passed this year. Too bad Able got called away by Fi'lina, I'm sure he would have passed..."

Abel: "Um, actually I was there. I was the thing that ate Mink"
Trik: "Passed."

Gullible

Quote from: Turnsky on July 27, 2010, 11:07:22 AM
and people say pigeons and seagulls were bad.  >:3

:<

Nice to see birds making more appearances. :P

Arroyo Milori

Wasn't there also a shortcut to SAIA as well? I remember there was something said about a "shortcut" to SAIA in the Unwilling and Abel at Cubi Academy Chapter.

I wonder if it's the same "shortcut" or a different one.

VAE

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on July 29, 2010, 05:33:22 PM

Wasn't there also a shortcut to SAIA as well? I remember there was something said about a "shortcut" to SAIA in the Unwilling and Abel at Cubi Academy Chapter.

Well, only the paths the rats and cast members used, but i don't know how that worked
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

PantheraLeo

Quote from: danman on July 29, 2010, 05:51:24 PM
Quote from: Arroyo Milori on July 29, 2010, 05:33:22 PM

Well, only the paths the rats and cast members used, but i don't know how that worked

I think it's meant to be a joke that rats are everywhere or a little like Monte Python's Spanish Inquisition. ("No body expects the Spanish Inquisition!") Given the fact the 'party' arrived at the academy though some long tunnel or labyrinth that was suspiciously empty and had the 'red carpet roll out' (the path was marked) I don't think it was some tiny feat to just 'arrive' there.

During Fi'Lina's description of clan Cira Siar to Able, I image the physical location of the academy is not in question, only the means to access it. #56 That and given Bengahl access in what I assume is the same academy in 'The Foxfire Chronicles' I'm guessing the academy is not defended as a absolute. 2008-02-18.

I suspect Fi'Lina's ability to see the future just (kept/keeps) it's defense(s) one step ahead of any incursion, not some omnipotent defense.

terrycloth

I got the impression (from things like Hizell not being able to find it) that it's literally impossible to enter SAIA without Fa'Lina's permission. Once there, there's no particularly omnipotent defense going on, but she knows if you're going to cause trouble and doesn't let you in.

PantheraLeo

;) That's the idea. She, Fi'Lina, is the "omnipotent" defense. Not that there was some 'wall' no one could clime, or no way to tunnel though. It's that any attempt was foreseen and blocked by some means. Fi'Lina never said or even hinted Hizell couldn't find the academy. Only that he could not enter it.