Morons anonymous

Started by Passive, June 03, 2010, 02:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passive

Dearest Yiffities,

I had plans to surprise Amber at the convention this year with my spiteful, unruly vengeance. It involved a Mrs. Field's cookie high in sugar but too sweet not to consume. The outcome would have been devastating, I'm sure.

Unfortunately for me, my appendix burst last Saturday and I promptly went through the worst weekend of my life. My plans to get back at Amber have been foiled again.

Unless of course someone wants to help me. I'm more than willing to hook a brother up via paypal to get some sort of sugary doom sent her way once she is in California. Or maybe you can all just go have dinner. I don't care. This is obviously something important enough to me that I'm willing to come out about it. It's time to bury the hatchet. In calories and cavity-forming sugar.

The morphine button stopped working,

-Netami

Mao

Quote from: Passive on June 03, 2010, 02:31:46 AM
Dearest Yiffities,

I had plans to surprise Amber at the convention this year with my spiteful, unruly vengeance. It involved a Mrs. Field's cookie high in sugar but too sweet not to consume. The outcome would have been devastating, I'm sure.

Unfortunately for me, my appendix burst last Saturday and I promptly went through the worst weekend of my life. My plans to get back at Amber have been foiled again.

Unless of course someone wants to help me. I'm more than willing to hook a brother up via paypal to get some sort of sugary doom sent her way once she is in California. Or maybe you can all just go have dinner. I don't care. This is obviously something important enough to me that I'm willing to come out about it. It's time to bury the hatchet. In calories and cavity-forming sugar.

The morphine button stopped working,

-Netami

Pretty sure you're a banned user.  Also, cute move, editing out your old posts and replacing them with {code} tags.  Massive props.  Pretty sure both of those things are ban worthy offenses.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, look. It was a Netami clone. Don't expect a response, guys, there won't be one. Or there'll be more bans, one or the other.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

lilpuppy23

Who's Netami? That name sounds Familiar.

(I've been reading the archives for some time now as opposed to actual posting)

Damaris

Someone who received a permanent ban.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Phantos

Or at least until I change my IP Address.

I don't mean you any disrespect, Brock Samsons to my Venture-styled rival. I wrote that entry from a hospital bed and with the best of intentions. My reputation is dubious, yes, and it's not necessarily undeserved. I'm not looking to troll your gentle mansion, though. What are we going on now, three or four years since I was mentioned in any large degree? No, I've found other grounds to stomp (come swing by the MSPA forums sometimes and say hi) and came to visit with one thing in mind.

:B G'day Yiffities.

Mao

Ban evading:  Great way to hand out that olive branch.  Get out.

lilpuppy23

The frick is a "Yiffitie"?

He/She keeps using that word and Dictionary.com has failed me as far.

llearch n'n'daCorna

random munging of words to suggest the word "yiff" and imply people that involve themselves in it a lot.

"yiffing" being furry sex. NSFW, etc etc etc.

Accusing random forum-goers of that, without actually knowing any of them. Yes, that seems like a lovely way to make friends and influence people. I see Netami hasn't improved his game in the last three years. Oh, well.

RunawayTrain

Yiffity is just an endearing term for my furry friends on MSPA. I use it all the time, I didn't think it'd be found offensive by anyone. If you were offended, sorry.

And this is perhaps the only medium for my voice to be heard, so don't take it like some huge slap in the face that I keep finding open windows into the building. Check the fourth floor.

Mao

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: RunawayTrain on June 04, 2010, 07:08:35 PM
Yiffity is just an endearing term for my furry friends on MSPA. I use it all the time, I didn't think it'd be found offensive by anyone. If you were offended, sorry.

And this is perhaps the only medium for my voice to be heard, so don't take it like some huge slap in the face that I keep finding open windows into the building. Check the fourth floor.

The problem is, Netami, nobody wants to hear your voice. If you aren't being listened to anywhere else, then perhaps the problem lies with you, and not with the rest of the world.

Just a thought. Of course, you'll have to break the rules to come back here and read it.

lilpuppy23

I just realized Netami is in "the fallen" section (and is a guy).

So that's why the name sounds familiar.

But wait, isn't "the fallen" section for previous forum members? If everyone hates Netami, why is he still in the Photo Place whatever it's called?

--------------------------------------

On topic; I sure hope everyone at Califur likes Amber and prove her fears wrong!
Then again, even if Califur bombs, it wouldn't be her fault right?

Turnsky

Quote from: lilpuppy23 on June 05, 2010, 12:57:34 AM
I just realized Netami is in "the fallen" section (and is a guy).

So that's why the name sounds familiar.

But wait, isn't "the fallen" section for previous forum members? If everyone hates Netami, why is he still in the Photo Place whatever it's called?

as a warning to others.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on June 04, 2010, 08:03:55 PM
Whoa ... drama!  :erk

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 02, 2010, 08:11:56 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on June 01, 2010, 01:04:21 PMActually, the only Hemi'ed Honda civic I know of, kicks much arse.
Indeed it does. That's amazing. My hat is off to the odd character who decided to do that.

Yeah, some of those modified cars can be pretty strange.
Other times, it's not so much about the cars, but more about what their owners do with them.
Or what the pissed of woman who owns a backhoe, do to your vehicle.

And finally, sometimes ... things just get weird.

Interesting website.  I spent over an hour looking at it.

Also, why not do an IP block ban on this Netami guy?

VAE

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on June 06, 2010, 11:16:44 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on June 04, 2010, 08:03:55 PM
Whoa ... drama!  :erk

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 02, 2010, 08:11:56 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on June 01, 2010, 01:04:21 PMActually, the only Hemi'ed Honda civic I know of, kicks much arse.
Indeed it does. That's amazing. My hat is off to the odd character who decided to do that.

Yeah, some of those modified cars can be pretty strange.
Other times, it's not so much about the cars, but more about what their owners do with them.
Or what the pissed of woman who owns a backhoe, do to your vehicle.

And finally, sometimes ... things just get weird.

Interesting website.  I spent over an hour looking at it.

Duh, llearch did that already... why do you think he abruptly stopped coming back?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

As previously mentioned, it's already been done. But, those can fail if One: They change their ISP or move somewhere else. Two: The ISP uses multiple IP addresses for their customers. (Most notably dial-up services.)
Contrary to popular belief, an IP block is ONLY effective on people that have a static IP assigned to them by their ISP.

HoneybeeProfessor

Quote from: Drayco84 on June 06, 2010, 11:35:02 AM
As previously mentioned, it's already been done. But, those can fail if One: They change their ISP or move somewhere else. Two: The ISP uses multiple IP addresses for their customers. (Most notably dial-up services.)
Contrary to popular belief, an IP block is ONLY effective on people that have a static IP assigned to them by their ISP.

Actually, you can download programs (such as Tor) or use web proxies (such as HideMyAss) to seek out anonymity online. With the push of a button, you become someone else! It is like a way hip disguise kit, and it takes literally seconds to get back into wherever you need to be. Only... protectabled.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: HoneybeeProfessor on June 06, 2010, 03:38:28 PM
Actually, you can download programs (such as Tor) or use web proxies (such as HideMyAss) to seek out anonymity online. With the push of a button, you become someone else! It is like a way hip disguise kit, and it takes literally seconds to get back into wherever you need to be. Only... protectabled.

Yup. And since the forum doesn't show IP addresses to anyone other than admins, there is no reason for anyone to use Tor unless they're hiding from the admins.

Hence, as soon as we locate ANYONE using Tor, we'll ban any and all ways they might possibly be using to access the forum. With prejudice. Particularly if they're already banned for something else.

Nice of you to speak up, HoneybeeProfessor, and since you look like Netami to me, You're on the list. Thankyou for playing, do have a nice day.

Edit:
Oh, and if this goes on, I will spend several days working my way through all the proxies I can find on HideMyAss and Tor, and filter every single bloody one of them. Or look at writing a plugin for the forum that does it for me. Either way, you WILL be excluded. Anyone would think that the subtle hints so far would be enough, but it appears you're not very smart. I'll persevere. Maybe eventually one of the brain cells that lurk alone in the dark of your shadowed cerebrum will spark up a single neuron, and you'll leave us in peace. I'm not holding my breath, though.

HoneybeeProfessor

Leave in peace? I came here in peace. The only crime I am committing is breaking some ban you handed out years ago. If you'd like to work yourself  up overthis and spend time figuring out ways to block entire sections of god knows how many IP ranges... ok. But that seems like an awful lot of work over a single person that comes and goes every couple of years. You guys don't really have any trollin' problems around these parts as far as I know. It's all a bunch of mild mannered furables.

Wouldn't it just be easier to call it all off and just reach some sort of level of understanding?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes. There's an understanding. You leave, and you never ever come back.

I thought we'd made that clear some years ago. You were given many many chances, and you agreed to the rules: no multiple accounts, no ban evasion. Five times over, now. So I see you as breaking the rules NOW, not breaking the rules some years ago.

Thankyou for playing.

Chakat Blackspots

Too bad you can't send a letter to his ISP and his ISP gives him a letter of possible disconnect.

As for IP block bans, they can work, but you can go for the last three or the last two sets (but that just blocks too many people)

When IPv6 becomes more available, its probably gonna be more difficult to ban people.

Is it possible to do a hardware ID based ban?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Without going into too much detail, yes, we're blocking the last octet or more. Usually /16 or /18 or so.

IPv6 will be easier, since you'll get a /64 for each person, and hiding it will be a bit trickier. So anonymity is a bit less, as I understand it.

And no, hardware based ban is only viable for things on the same network as him, and since he's using various proxies, we'd have to ban each proxy. And yes, I have considered locating his ISP and requesting they kill his account, but I doubt it would work for a number of reasons, not least that what he's doing is not exactly what his ISP would call abuse, and he's paying his ISP for service; I'm not paying them, so they have zero requirement to actually do anything about it, other than possibly ring him up and call him a "very naughty boy", and ask him to "please don't do it again".

With about as much effect as a piece of wet string on keeping that rottweiler in place.

HoneybeeProfessor

ISP side blocks are iffy too because I play host to, like, three ISPs in my regular day to day job. I do this stuff for a living. Computer stuff, not trolling, though I guess you could craft a pretty valid argument for that one? I dunno.

You have to remember with trolls, though, that you're dealing with a person and not a robot. People get bored eventually and stop trying. People can also be crafty and find alternative ways around whatever policy you have in place. But it really is an issue of personality conflicts and those aren't resolved with any forum software functionality (that I know of!)

Though the most effective way to curtail trolling (in my case) is usually to lock the thread. I'm not going to go through the business of making a new thread just to tout whatever I've got on my mind. I wouldn't lock this one, though, you've got some nice convos going on about cars and tea (TEA!)

llearch n'n'daCorna

You'd think, doing this for a living, that you'd have learned some modicum of netiquette. Apparently not, though.

HoneybeeProfessor

How so?

Granted at one point I heavily disagreed with the way you run this forum, and made little effort to hide the fact, I've come to a point where honestly I don't care anymore. About the heavy-handedness, mind you. I've run my own forum since then and realized some of the road blocks, those familiar tropes that you deal with when there's forumites, mods, admins all bunched into a webspace. Everyone runs their own stuff differently. I  can respect that. Well, enough to the point that breaking back in to talk to you about it is going to be my biggest transgression.

I didn't come here to go "neener neener I came back assholes". I came here because, this weekend, your patron was all of ten minutes from my house. I had ideas for amending some past "beef" as it were. I wanted to salvage that. I may be a lot of things, but a curmudgeon I am not. I've donated to Amber before when she's had troubles and this was just another opportunity to say, "OK well... sorry. Now enjoy your impending sugar coma!"

Unfortunately, real life dealt me a sour hand with my appendix but there's always next year.

In the meantime, sweet box on bee action!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Funny how you've generated three or four accounts to do so, despite the standing rule to not create duplicate accounts to avoid bans. The fact that you had one of them for a year is not a mark in your favour. Generating extra work for me where I have to do more moderator actions to cope with it? That's not a good thing, either. Using random proxies to get in, despite the repeated bans? That's another bad thing. Randomly deleting the contents of a huge swathe of your posts? That's a negative mark as well.

For someone who wanted to settle the beef, you are going about it very strangely. In fact, I'm not sure if I could come up with a worse way. As I understand it, the major beef is with Amber. Posting here isn't going to settle that at all; you'd be better off sending her an email. It's not like her email address is well hidden or anything.

Oh, and let's not forget the "heavy-handed" approach you object to is simply a way of excluding you from the service WE pay to put online. After we asked you to be polite and not make trouble, repeatedly. And you failed. Congrats, you don't appear to have learned anything in the last year or so, because you're still managing to annoy me.

HoneybeeProfessor

oy. Well, I've just as much to make up with the lot of you as I do with her, I suppose. If the idea of fanangling with the board settings to slap my surly ass a ban is a lot of work, that sucks... It is sort of a catch-22 thing to even come here, but I use the tools I have.

I do have quite a few accounts here beyond that year-old one, too. I do fun things with each of them. Passive's fun thing was to blot-out my posts a week or so after making them. It was fun and mysterious, like a ghost. To be perfectly honest, I could just reinvent a personality to be among all of you and none the wiser. That seems like an especially hollow solution to me. Just up and leaving you alone has been the alternative, and it's worked out alright. Do you guys even have flame wars anymore?

I daresay I've learned a lot in the last year or so. When it comes to making silly with some boxy admins, eh... maybe not so much.

llearch n'n'daCorna

No, I'm pretty sure you haven't.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 06, 2010, 08:14:45 PM
No, I'm pretty sure you haven't.

I'd say ignore him and he'll go away, but it seems the normal ways of thinking doesn't work on him.