03/29/10 [AS2#95] Wow...

Started by Rambon, March 29, 2010, 01:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

Quote from: Naldru on March 31, 2010, 02:02:07 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 31, 2010, 10:43:15 AM
As an aside.. for some reason as I read your first paragraph, particularly the line about quoting to suit one's purposes, I could only think of the speech given by the Soldier in the TF2 "Meet the Soldier" video:

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!" Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that nobody could best him in the ring of honor. Then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth. And then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo!

UNLESS IT'S A FARM!"

What Sun Tzu actually said appears to be "If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it; if fighting will not result is victory, then you must not fight, even at the ruler's bidding."  I interpret that to mean that you should not blindly follow stupid orders.

You've missed the point of why I quoted that.... entirely.  I was pointing out that the soldier was twisting a quote for his own sake. Edit again:  And because it's damn funny.

Other quotes:

There has never been a protracted war from which a country has benefited.

The enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

To proeliator bradypodidae:

I wasn't thinking of Sherman as a role model.  However, I think that it is also safe to say that he didn't see any alternative to total war.  If limiting damage to civilians and their property meant risking the lives of his own soldiers and the interests of his nation, he felt that fighting any other way would simply result in a worse situation for both sides.

There are too many people out there who seem to base their idea of political and military doctrine on games like Team Fortress II and John Wayne movies.

All that said, I would agree with your post in all respects.  I have not had any military experience as there are bats with better eyesight and I have a few other medical problems.  On the other hand, my son will be going to Afghanistan in a few months, and I cringe every time I hear people who state what the military should and should not do based on some mythical image that they have obtained from movies and books.

I think it's funny how, if they disagree with your view then their only knowledge or experience is 'based on some mythical image that they have obtained from movies and books' or ' games like Team Fortress II and John Wayne movies.'

Edit:  Urk!  Corrected my mistake.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 29, 2010, 02:48:13 AMThe interpretation of Aaryanna in the comic is not necessarily the interpretation done by the actual original owner.  

This brings up an interesting question.
How many of the current characters around are not of Ambers creation ?
I don't mean the one panel cameo's, but fully fledged characters ?

Just out of curiosity. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Prof B Hunnydew

Ok from memory... So take this with a pixie stick..

Real people inspired Characters
DAN
Mab- was Amber herself
Alexsi
Wildy
Aary
Azlan
Merlitz

Ink
I can't think of anyone else without the site.

PBH

Keleth

Merlitz also was taken from Furcadia and he was quite the cool cat back in the day.
Help! I'm gay!

Anker Steadfast

Dang, even Wildy ?
Didn't know that.

Prof B Hunnydew

Dr Ink is not really a regular cast member.but he has a RL person behind him..  and all the other have real life counter-parts. 

PBH

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 31, 2010, 07:39:04 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on March 29, 2010, 02:48:13 AMThe interpretation of Aaryanna in the comic is not necessarily the interpretation done by the actual original owner.  

This brings up an interesting question.
How many of the current characters around are not of Ambers creation ?
I don't mean the one panel cameo's, but fully fledged characters ?

Just out of curiosity. :)

Dan, Mab (is Amber's but from Furcadia), Alexsi, Wildy, Merlitz, Jyrras, Pyroduck, Biggs, Aliyka, Azlan, and Aaryanna did NOT originate in DMFA.

I wrote it down for just such an emergency.

Prof B Hunnydew

Really

Biggs and Jyrras are not Amber's creations,  :erk
Now,
Pyroduck could be someone's character. i don't know
and Aliyka has good possibility being taken from Furcadia.  I never met the girl.

Please Note: By now, these characters are more Amber's vision of these characters. and they have evolved beyond what their original creators' ideas for them.

PBH

Scarydragon

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 31, 2010, 08:35:04 PM
Dan, Mab (is Amber's but from Furcadia), Alexsi, Wildy, Merlitz, Jyrras, Pyroduck, Biggs, Aliyka, Azlan, and Aaryanna did NOT originate in DMFA.

I'm thinking you misread that there Hunnydew.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Shachza

Mao, my opinion of you jumped up several points due to a post several pages back where you talked about "everything in moderation."  Finding balance and all that.

I completely agree, and most of my RPG characters reflect that.  I also agree with you that Abel completely chickened out in the worst way, but we knew something like that had to happen to make him who he is in the main comic.

P.S.  I knew lots of the characters are derived from other people's creations, but what I'd rather know is how many of those people are still around to view Amber's use of them.  I'd guess none since I never see any posts in regard to that sort of thing.
            <-- #1 that is!

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Shachza on April 01, 2010, 06:28:15 PM

P.S.  I knew lots of the characters are derived from other people's creations, but what I'd rather know is how many of those people are still around to view Amber's use of them.  I'd guess none since I never see any posts in regard to that sort of thing.

Wildy's last post
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,6958.msg319183.html#msg319183

Wildy is still around....
Amber still in touch Aaryannna and Merlitz, I think
RL Alexsi died young Unfortunately

Ink came around from time to time to the old forum.

PBH

demecowen

Quote from: Tangent on March 29, 2010, 07:32:10 PM

Second: Abel is far better than Shinji. Abel will help people spontaneously. He actually acts proactively. He may want to lurk in his room and hide from the world outside of SAIA, but he still does go out and do things and help people. Shinji? When he saw the one person who has stood up for him and cared for him for much of the series crying her eyes out, he shuts the fething door and hides. He is a passive unassertive lazy little child who whines about everything and acts only when forced. Abel is a far better person than Shinji.

I really don`t like to defend Shinji but given the fact that Shinji was emotionally abuse by father only to be use as tool to fight monster I think Shinji has lot legit reason to whine. Yet he willing to climb in that mecha and fight against Angels many times even after he hurt a friend. All the people that care about him, only wanted to him keep fighting and people are surprise he turn out like that in the End. No one gave Shinji the chance to walk away like the way Abel was given the choice. Abel may have help others, but 1. that centuries later and act like know-it-all jerk about, and did nothing to help his own mother. 2. When did Abel put his life on line like Shinji?

Mao

Mao, my opinion of you jumped up several points due to a post several pages back where you talked about "everything in moderation."  Finding balance and all that.

I'd be careful admitting that in public.  Word is: I'm a hateful troll.

I completely agree, and most of my RPG characters reflect that.  I also agree with you that Abel completely chickened out in the worst way, but we knew something like that had to happen to make him who he is in the main comic.

Indeed.  It's a shame that even after all that time to recover, he's still pretty much a chicken.

P.S.  I knew lots of the characters are derived from other people's creations, but what I'd rather know is how many of those people are still around to view Amber's use of them.  I'd guess none since I never see any posts in regard to that sort of thing.

As was pointed out, they're still around.  Dr.Ink goes by Magic these days but he's been about.  Wildy is seen once in a while.  Janus as well.  Azlan is still around in the RP section of the forum iirc.  As for the others?  I've not seen them, but they're probably still around in some fashion or another.

Jairus

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 01, 2010, 08:48:14 PM

As was pointed out, they're still around.  Dr.Ink goes by Magic these days but he's been about.  Wildy is seen once in a while.  Janus as well.  Azlan is still around in the RP section of the forum iirc.  As for the others?  I've not seen them, but they're probably still around in some fashion or another.
On a minor side-note, I was actually mistaken for the original Jyrras over on FA. I thought Amber or someone else might get a kick out of that.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

SoWhatIfImFurry

OK Mao, you know what? I'm tired of you ripping on Abel for his "Cowardice"

If you were the smart person that you think yourself to be, you would then know that from this strip here,

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_080.php

Abel has learned his lesson about his inactions.

Yes, he was a coward.

Yes, he did turn down any help from others.

And yes, he could have tried to do something to prevent it.

But he didn't, and he's accepting the consequences. This horse is dead, let's stop beating it! :mowignore

Mao

Quote from: SoWhatIfImFurry on April 02, 2010, 01:10:28 AM
OK Mao, you know what? I'm tired of you ripping on Abel for his "Cowardice"

If you were the smart person that you think yourself to be, you would then know that from this strip here,

Excuse me?  The smart person that I think I am?  I'd like to see where I've ever claimed that.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I've claimed otherwise.  As for me ripping on him, I'm sorry you're getting worked up over me having an opinion about a fictional character, and then defending it.

Nice knee jerk reaction to defend the forum wubby.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_080.php

Abel has learned his lesson about his inactions.

Except, go look at the main comic.  He's still a jerk who pushes everyone away out of cowardice.  Trying to act all tough, but frankly, he's afraid.  You see it even in his dreams.  Everyone is going on and trying to say that "Ooooh, someone else had to have planted that dream in him!", but I'm sorry, I don't buy that.  Looks to me like even he subconsciously knows he's a coward and that after almost 400 years, he's still one.

Yes, he was a coward.

Yes, he did turn down any help from others.

And yes, he could have tried to do something to prevent it.

But he didn't, and he's accepting the consequences. This horse is dead, let's stop beating it! :mowignore

Only person beating this dead horse here is you.  I've stated my opinion and have EVERY right to it when discussing things with others.  So how about instead of coming here and posting full of rage, you actually come back with a sound and civil discussion on the matter?  You don't like my opinion?  Fine.  Show me a counter point rather than your keyboard rage.  Show me where in the main comic he shows himself to have actually learned from his lessons.  He hasn't.  He had to be FORCED out of SAIA.  He still hides in a basement and he still pushes everyone away.

Amber Williams

And this is the part where I say that perhaps it is time, if people want to continue this discussion, that peeps take it to PM.

The sides have been stated, points have been made. I think we're good here.  Move along folks. Don't have to go home but you can't stay here. :U

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on April 01, 2010, 06:56:26 PM

P.S.  I knew lots of the characters are derived from other people's creations, but what I'd rather know is how many of those people are still around to view Amber's use of them.  I'd guess none since I never see any posts in regard to that sort of thing.

Wildy's last post
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,6958.msg319183.html#msg319183

Wildy is still around....
Amber still in touch Aaryannna and Merlitz, I think
RL Alexsi died young Unfortunately

Ink came around from time to time to the old forum.

PBH

I occasionally see Dr. Ink in The Half Moon theater part of these forums.

Anker Steadfast

Pretty cool to hear so many of the old peeps is still along for the ride. :)