Deathtrap Dungeon; Freedom is Slavery! (OOC; Closed)

Started by Mechanisto, March 20, 2010, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do we want to do OOC comments?

let's use OOC brackets; it's more precise!
2 (25%)
Let's pick a color to use for all OOC text; it's less cumbersome!
5 (62.5%)
I have a better idea... see my post in the OOC thread.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

WhiteFox

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 14, 2010, 11:52:56 AM
I'm wondering if I should reveal where I'm going with this right now, or save it for later... >:3
I'm saving mine. :x

And they do this for every situation, no matter what xD

You're really going to have a good time with Nath.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 15, 2010, 12:10:44 AM
And they do this for every situation, no matter what xD

You're really going to have a good time with Nath.
I wasn't really being serious, it was just an amusing mental image to me... :B

Drayco84

I'm wondering if I should reveal where I'm going with this right now, or save it for later... >:3

And gawd, I'm starting to imagine a Star Trek-like situation where everyone's sitting around a command table, and Nadihya says "Options?". Katya says something about torturing something, Xephelon comes up with a magic item, Glup concieves a solution that involves brains, Kittrick suggests something about flying or delivering mail, Zyrais says they should spy on someone, and Nalthazar insists they make something undead. And they do this for every situation, no matter what xD
That's a totally unfair and baseless accusation!

Spying is only one half of the plan. Part 2 involves either blackmail, or blowing it up.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 15, 2010, 01:32:15 AM

Spying is only one half of the plan. Part 2 involves either blackmail, or blowing it up.
:giggle

And, ah what the hey, I'll just put out what I'm going for right now. It's not really a secret, just amusing;
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/Spasmfiend/Motivational%20Posters/motivator4552789.jpg
("One of Eberron's many truths") :3

This is what happens when an engineer gets ahold of magic. Applied Theurgy! :D

Drayco84

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 15, 2010, 11:15:12 AM
Quote from: Drayco84 on April 15, 2010, 01:32:15 AM

:giggle

And, ah what the hey, I'll just put out what I'm going for right now. It's not really a secret, just amusing;
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/Spasmfiend/Motivational%20Posters/motivator4552789.jpg
("One of Eberron's many truths") :3

This is what happens when an engineer gets ahold of magic. Applied Thaumaturgy! :D
Dubya tee eff is that and where can I get one?

On another note, we need to standardize something... What do we use for internal thoughts, telepathy, and/or translated languages? We have Parentheses "()", brackets "[]" (Prolly not advised due to their use in the forum's code/script.) Braces "{}" and chevrons "<>". I understand that chevrons are normally used for translated text., but what about the others?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 15, 2010, 02:44:37 PM
Dubya tee eff is that and where can I get one?
You can get one when Xephelon's done making it :3

On another note, we need to standardize something... What do we use for internal thoughts, telepathy, and/or translated languages? We have Parentheses "()", brackets "[]" (Prolly not advised due to their use in the forum's code/script.) Braces "{}" and chevrons "<>". I understand that chevrons are normally used for translated text., but what about the others?
For anything mental, I just use standard itallics. Danman's the one who's been doing something weird with double-colons in that regard.

As for translations, I have no idea...

Drayco84

Well, I'm now using braces "{}" for telepathy. Just a heads up to everyone.

VAE

i am using quotes for speech, and two doublepoints for mental processes (single quotes for literals or whatever is needed)
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Liatai

Hah, I like Dee already. :3 Ah... familiars with access to Shocking Grasp... that brings back memories of campaigns past. Good times, good times.

I'm just using italics for thoughts (when they're not being used for emphasis in a sentence) and quotation marks for speaking, myself. I don't know if it will ever come up, but if I type something in <chevrons,> it's usually something that's being said in another language.

techmaster-glitch

Drayco, am I right in assuming that we cannot hear Dee and Zyrais' mental conversation, unless were were actually telepathically-sensitive (and maybe not even then)?

And yes, very amusing exchange :3

Drayco84

Well... That's a good question...

On one hand, mages and familiars can freely converse using telepathy. On the other, ALL pseudo dragons are telepathic... Heck, it's in the monster manual.

So, I'm gonna go ahead and say that anything with telepathic abilities can "listen" in.

Oh, and just a heads up for those that don't have copy of the MM1 handy, they CAN understand a few languages, but they can only "speak" using telepathy or charades.

HOLY CRAP! PIP'S A PESEUO DRAGON WITHOUT THE STINGER! WHY DIDN'T I SEE IT BEFORE?!

WhiteFox

I use italics for internal thoughts. If I were to do anything telepathically, I'd probably put it in italics and quotes. If it comes up, I'll probably use greater/less than signs for translated text.

Curly brackets are hard on the eyes, tho.

Also... how much of the setting is DnD, and how much of it is DMFA? Personally, I was leaning more towards DMFA.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Mechanisto

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 15, 2010, 02:57:12 PMFor anything mental, I just use standard italics.

Yes, please. This is the only depiction of telepathy that doesn't annoy the heck out of me... for some reason.

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 16, 2010, 12:50:57 AMAlso... how much of the setting is DnD, and how much of it is DMFA? Personally, I was leaning more towards DMFA.

The RP should be almopst entirely DMFA. Some characters, items, or abilities can be drawn from other sources (including entire player characters, in at least one case), but if they clash with what's normal in Furrae, they will seem weird or unusual to almost everyone. Furrae is extremely diverse, so I don't expect this to be a big issue.

llearch n'n'daCorna

And gawd, I'm starting to imagine a Star Trek-like situation where everyone's sitting around a command table, and Nadihya says "Options?". Katya says something about torturing something, Xephelon comes up with a magic item, Glup concieves a solution that involves brains, Kittrick suggests something about flying or delivering mail, Zyrais says they should spy on someone, and Nalthazar insists they make something undead. And they do this for every situation, no matter what xD

I hate to interrupt, but...

A sadist, a masochist, a murderer, a necrophile, a zoophile and a pyromaniac are all sitting on a bench in a mental institution, bored out of their minds.

"How about having sex with a cat?" asked the zoophile.
"Let's have sex with the cat and then torture it," says the sadist.
"Let's have sex with the cat, torture it and then kill it," shouted the murderer.
"Let's have sex with the cat, torture it, kill it and then have sex with it again," said the necrophile.
"Let's have sex with the cat, torture it, kill it, have sex with it again and then burn it," said the pyromaniac.

Silence took over... and the masochist says: "Meow."

;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

WhiteFox

llearch: XD

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 16, 2010, 07:11:55 AM

A sadist, a masochist, a murderer, a necrophile, a zoophile and a pyromaniac are all sitting on a bench in a mental institution, bored out of their minds...

You know, I'm pretty sure we have at least one of each of those in the group.

Mechanisto

Just so we're clear... if we don't, I'm not reopening recruitment.

Ever. :(

Drayco84

Quote from: Mechanisto on April 16, 2010, 08:28:34 PM
Just so we're clear... if we don't, I'm not reopening recruitment.

Ever. :(
Awwwww... But it'd be fuuuuuuuun...

Seriously though, I'm currently away for the week at a rural location... Without broadband...

Well, I take that back, I've got broadband, but in the form of one of those wireless air-cards that uses the same network as cell phones. (Notably Sprint.) Which would be GREAT if the XP partition on my netbook wasn't a rotting zombie... But, it is, and I've been too lazy to reformat and reinstall. (That and... I LIKE PCLinuxOS. It works, why screw with it?)

So, I've trying to keep my connection down. This means less "stalking" of the thread, and less use of my "work" partition. (At least, until I find out how to get it to work on Linux...)

EDIT: Good news, everyone! The particular card I'm using has been mentioned on the forums and the problem has been solved!

The bad news is that the guy got fed up with it and got a new USB modem from AT&T...
Whoooo... Go winsuck... I didn't miss you much...

techmaster-glitch

Hey Mechanisto, if Xephelon hasn't figured out what kind of crystals they are yet, can I get a better description of the crystal formations? like; what color they are, how transparent/opaque/reflective the are, etc? (I'm starting to think they aren't any "real-world" crystal...)

Mechanisto

Not real-world, eh? Prepare to be disappointed.

They still look quite pretty, and are excellent mineralogical specimens. They appear to be normal hexagonal crystals that grow in nice big chunks. They resemble Smoky Quartz, but are (as mentioned) unusually durable. More detailed analysis will require some time in a simple laboratory or workshop, at the hands of a suitable expert. They seem black when unlit, but are actually translucent with a slightly dark tint.

One of the things you'll need a lab to discover? What they're actually made of.

techmaster-glitch

Of note; I actually saw about half those links already when I was looking it up while making my last post xD Even still... *reads the other half of the links*

All I needed to know was what it looked like, but I suppose I also love in-depth details... :P

EDIT: aaand it seems the other half of the links are completely random pop culture references :B No wonder I didn't see them when I was looking it up...

Drayco84

Tell me about it. The bizarre thing about fantasy is that if you use gemstones to contain magic, then it would pay to know what the most durable gemstones are. (Ruby, sapphire, alexandrite, and spinel, I think.)

Also, tempering. Fire Opal's "fire" is actually spots of water within the gem. Amethyst is also a form of quartz. Last but not least, sugilite is a royal pain in the ass to find, but it has some awesome purple coloration, especially the gemstone-quality stuff.

EDIT: When did we get to 230 posts?

WhiteFox

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 20, 2010, 10:35:51 PM
EDIT: aaand it seems the other half of the links are completely random pop culture references :B No wonder I didn't see them when I was looking it up...

The GM has a sense of humour... Beware.

Heh... translucent.
Quote from: Drayco84 on April 21, 2010, 02:33:04 AM

EDIT: When did we get to 230 posts?
Just after #229.

This topic is a combination of the interest check, signups, and the OOC. I'm not surprised it's this long already.

Plus, we seem to have some pretty chatty players.

Mechanisto

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 20, 2010, 10:35:51 PMEDIT: aaand it seems the other half of the links are completely random pop culture references :B No wonder I didn't see them when I was looking it up...

Random? Deadpool *is* durable!

Okay, I promise to stay on topic.

...dangit.

Quote from: Drayco84 on April 21, 2010, 02:33:04 AMTell me about it. The bizarre thing about fantasy is that if you use gemstones to contain magic, then it would pay to know what the most durable gemstones are.

Indeed, realistic factors will be taken into account for such things. However, precious stones have a wide variety of magical qualities and affinities as well. Perhaps Topazes are great for making electrical enchantments, but less useful for other elements. Perhaps enchanted Opals are cheap to make, but explode violently when shattered... useless for armor and weapons, but great for magical hand-grenades. Perhaps Diamonds are the ultimate gem, durable, powerful, and able to "hold" any kind of enchantment at all... but are also a material component of ressurection spells. Decisions, decisions...

Drayco84

Diamonds aren't durable. Sure, they register a 10 on the Moh's scale (In other words, they scratch a steel file.) And they're proven to cut pretty much anything, but smack 'em against something, and they'll break.

Plus, diamonds aren't nearly as valuable as most think, thanks to a massive ad campaign from a consortium of diamond sellers/distributors.

Don't believe me? TVtropes has a article on it: Worthless Yellow Rocks BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Add in a society where even beginner alchemists can make these things (They're just pure, compressed carbon, after all.) And diamonds are even less valuable, becoming almost as common as quartz. Or maybe even more common than... Dare I say it? Glass. (Which not only has a crystalline structure, but is also a super-cooled liquid.)

Oh, and unless there's arable land on top of that mountain, treat your dirt well... Not everyone can eat adventurers, and once a significant population builds up, food may be a problem. (Sure, it might be able to be magically created, but what if it's tasteless? Plus, we're talking super-complex chemical interactions here that the best of magic users would have a hard time with.)

Economics and science. Fun stuff!

VAE

Glup eats corpses , and any creatures living in the deep waters - not having a problem with food there...
I wonder whether GM invents something ... diving into unknown streams can be dangerous as LotR shows (the front of Moria)

EDIT:

This looks pretty interesting, hehe - the squeamish gryphom getting annoyed by just the type of creature she does not like ...
I wonder whether you spot him or not... Should not be too difficult with enough light next to you... if an altercation happens it will be interesting though.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

If the spotlight on his forehead can't find him, I'm sure the pseudodragon with 60ft darkvision will.

Plus, there's the loud splashing, and nobody else is reasonably aquatic...

And as for the corpses/carrion, you'd need a good stream of would-be adventurers to maintain dietary habits, and that's assuming they don't get enslaved/enthralled/eaten by someone else. (Zyrais does like his concubines... As does someone else he knows...)

WhiteFox

See... this is why we're up to 230 236 posts. Can we possibly reduce the chatter and do some roleplaying?

VAE

Ad Zyrais - it is quite possible that Glup will be leaving the dungeon few times to get some food - luckily he is not picky about meat, just Ewww brains as a food or touch without gloves...
And Zyrais should watch his concubines later on... Some hilarity could ensue if some get eaten ...   :mowgrin
Saphroneth

Drayco84

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 21, 2010, 05:28:54 PM
See... this is why we're up to 230 236 posts. Can we possibly reduce the chatter and do some roleplaying?
Oh, fine...

I'm going to list some terms for later on down the road, since I'm already aware that it'll be a divided issue. And these terms will involve everyone's favorite subject: Slavery! (This is more legalese/dictionary than anything else, a WIP, and is also open to suggestions.)

Notes
All classifications involve individuals that another species may or may not consider food and can range from non-sentient creatures and beings to sentient beings and creatures. This document is only to provide a legal definition of the following terms. Mostly, what this is supposed to do is open the door for discussion about what can be, and will not be allowed.

Servants
   Free Will: Full Possession
Servants are, simply put, employees of the Master/Mistress and are given some kind of compensation for their services. While they mostly provide domestic services, they can be well-trained and make potent fighters in a pinch. The most important thing about servants is that they're there of their own free will and can/will leave for better employment elsewhere.

Familiars
   Free Will: Full Possession
Familiars are creatures or beings that are "fed" magical energy from their "master/mistress". Unlike most of the other definitions on this this list, familiars not only possesses the ability to strike back at, but they can do it well. As most familiars can use some of the magic of their magic-using "master/mistress". In terms of being able to leave, though, familiars can do so, but they need that flow of magical power to stay alive, especially if they've been alive longer than their maximum life expectancy.

Pets
   Free Will: Full Possession, but no sentience. (No, I'm not debating. My rabbit knows darn well what he's doing. I'm keeping it simple.)
Pets are non-sentient creatures or beings that are mostly kept for companionship. They can do very little on their own, unless trained, which is still a crapshoot. Pets can leave their owner, but they usually don't if they're well behaved, or are on a sturdy leash. Out on their own,  they can be picked up and claimed by anyone who wants them. The pet itself may be confused about the whole situation, but they can't or won't really do anything about it, especially if their new owner treats them well.

Slaves
   Free Will: Full to Moderate Possession, but are held by physical/magical means.
Slaves are bound to their Master/Mistress via magic or brute force. The important thing to note about slaves is that they still retain their free will, and can overpower their captor/s and escape. While most slaves are usually used for hard labor, there are domestic slaves too. However, it is recommended to use some means to keep them from lashing out at their captors as it doesn't take much for an angry slave to take down their captor when the opportunity arises.

Thralls
   Free Will: None or very little.
Thralls are essentially slaves, but without any form of free will. Minor undead like skeletons and zombies fall into this category, as well as any sentient beings or creatures that have had it either completely stripped away, or have had enough of it removed that disobeying their Master/Mistress/Owner is a bizarre and unthinkable concept.

Constructs
   Free Will: None, unless granted by magical means.
Constructs like golems and animated objects are a special case as there was never any free will to begin with, and they were built with the sole purpose of serving their Master/Mistress. Thus, they're loyal until their destruction, but they require a power source to keep going.

EDIT: This can-be/probably-will-be put to a council vote later, I'm just checking to see if the terms are agreed upon, nothing more here.

EDIT: Fixed some grammar.

techmaster-glitch

Very concice and well-defined terms Drayco, excellent. The only quibble I have is things having lost their sentience going under pets instead of thralls or something else, but that's just a minor case of semantics. Other than that, everything seems perfectly in order to me. :)