CMF Userbars and Userboxes (Free Signature Images Inside!)

Started by Mao, March 19, 2010, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

I'm just wondering if folks would be interested in copying an idea from the Katbox forums?

Over in the Katbox forums (you can find it yourself, I'm not linking it) the users have been known to create what are called user-bars and user-boxes that they display in their sigs.  Below is a sample of a user-bar and some user-boxes.  I was just wondering if folks were interested in maybe doing that for the various comics forums that are hosted here at CMF.

The ones below aren't the only types of bars/boxes that can be made but are simply there because they're the ones I'm using from the Katbox.  I would, of course, mention to them that I was going to bring this idea over if enough people are interested here as I don't want any bad blood.  What do you guys think?

Edit:

A big thanks goes out to llearch for setting up a page to host these!

They're currently sitting here: http://llearch.net/fb/

I'll hopefully be doing a bit with that page this weekend to make it easier to browse, but no promises.  I have a life and it likes to creep up every now and again.

Darkmoon

From and administrative perspective, I see no issue with this.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

VAE

I checked out the other forum through uncle google, but still do not get the idea. What are the bars for?
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Suwako

Quote from: danman on March 19, 2010, 05:55:47 PM
I checked out the other forum through uncle google, but still do not get the idea. What are the bars for?

To express ones liking of characters in a comic here on clockworkmansion.

For instance, I love matilda so I could have a matilda fan bar in my sig.
on katbox they take it one step further with 1# fans. ( I would like to be Matilda's number 1 fan :3 )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Userbars, These are free to use by anyone, use the current url if you wish, or re-host it somewhere else. Remember to make sure you do not have multiple rows of these Userbars :3

All art on them belongs to their respectful owners and is not to be used commercially /promotionally without their consent, that goes without saying. The urls I gave them are long, I'd advice rehosting them or tiny-urling them.  :3

When using them on other sites, re-host them _please_ as I do not have a _pay_ account on photobucket.  

DMFA

Membertypes

One clan or no clan please.   :3

CVRPG

Project Futute

Last Resort

Foxfire Chronicles

Forum

>:3 :D :)

I am willing to do requests on these, but please url the image I am supposed to use.

I am aware that not all the characters that ever appeared are on it, but I need to sleep too. :3

insidexml

:3 I thought it was a pretty neat idea over at the Katbox, so it should be neat over here too, right?
"My existence is comprised of somebody else's delusions. It's the exact opposite of the past. How completely ironic."

-Baroquemonger

"Humans that tried to trespass on God's domain, and a god that simply appeared in the realm of humans. Which of these is more sinful?"

Sunblink

I like this idea a lot!

From what I understand, that's one character for each comic on the CMF. That means we're gonna need some bars for Project Future, Last Resort, Foxfire Chronicles, and CVRPG too, right? I just need to polish up on my readin's.

I'm totally in.

Suwako

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 19, 2010, 10:03:58 PM
I like this idea a lot!

From what I understand, that's one character for each comic on the CMF. That means we're gonna need some bars for Project Future, Last Resort, Foxfire Chronicles, and CVRPG too, right?

I'm totally in.

A Characterbar for each character ( or at least the more prominent ones ) in each comic on CMF. At least, that is what they do at Katbox. ( and they do have a lot of characters there... mostly thanks to LL )

Katbox uses the images from the comics itself and of course from images on which the characters appear,  I ripped the first bunch off the character/profile page of Missmab. Haven't yet started looking for images at the other comics yet. ( sorry darkmoon ;) )  

Darkmoon

Shouldn't be hard for someone to do custom ones for CVRPG. All the sprites are available on the site, and backgrounds are easy to come by (hit the links in CVRPG if you're looking for ideas).
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Turnsky

you've got my approval

edit: if you're requiring text free variants of mine, or even higher res versions (though given the size i doubt that) feel free to ask..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 20, 2010, 04:18:36 AM
you've got my approval

edit: if you're requiring text free variants of mine, or even higher res versions (though given the size i doubt that) feel free to ask..

Seconded on both counts.  With regard to PF, some of the cast pages are old and ratty - I really need to bug Ren to upgrade them at some point.  As with Turnsky, I can provide high res text-free renditions of all characters upon request.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Hey Tytaj, how'd you make those bars? I think I want to make some too, but I want to follow the same style you have going on.

If that's alright. This seems like a fun project.

Suwako

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 20, 2010, 09:13:41 AM
Hey Tytaj, how'd you make those bars? I think I want to make some too, but I want to follow the same style you have going on.

I just copied the edges and the word ''fan''
Then on a lower layer I put the images after resizing them ( 41:121 Pixels ) then I save it as PNG so that there are no additional artifacts ( since the DMFA comics are saved in jpeg )

To do this I use gimp, albeit it could be done in Paint as well. ( just not with layers )  :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tytaj on March 20, 2010, 09:22:27 AM
To do this I use gimp, albeit it could be done in Paint as well. ( just not with layers )  :3

She uses Photoshop.  You might want to try exporting the multilayer of one as a PSD file and providing that as a template - unless you do something weird that Photoshop can't handle, (like additive layers) it usually works quite well.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Suwako

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 20, 2010, 09:34:51 AM
To do this I use gimp, albeit it could be done in Paint as well. ( just not with layers )  :3

She uses Photoshop.  You might want to try exporting the multilayer of one as a PSD file and providing that as a template - unless you do something weird that Photoshop can't handle, (like additive layers) it usually works quite well.

Done. :3

Keaton you've got mail ( e-mail! )

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 20, 2010, 09:13:41 AM

I just copied the edges and the word ''fan''
Then on a lower layer I put the images after resizing them ( 41:121 Pixels ) then I save it as PNG so that there are no additional artifacts ( since the DMFA comics are saved in jpeg )

To do this I use gimp, albeit it could be done in Paint as well. ( just not with layers )  :3

if you'd like, i could host the template for a while... also incase folks would like to try it at home also.. what font is used?

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

VAE

Quote from: Tytaj on March 19, 2010, 06:48:54 PM

on katbox they take it one step further with 1# fans. ( I would like to be Matilda's number 1 fan :3 )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Userbars, These are free to use by anyone, use the current url if you wish, or re-host it somewhere else. Remember to make sure you do not have multiple rows of these Userbars :3

All art on them belongs to their respectful owners and is not to be used commercially /promotionally without their consent, that goes without saying. The urls I gave them are long, I'd advice rehosting them or tiny-urling them.  :3

When using them on other sites, re-host them _please_ as I do not have a _pay_ account on photobucket. 

<snip>

I can host the whole lot, as in SRCF i have free hosting for noncommercial purposes ... i have there for example my avatar.
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Sunblink

Tytaj, you're awesome. Thanks for sending me the template. >:3

I made a few of them, but they're not as good as the Tytaj ones. I have yet to master the fine art of resizing my shit.

To-Do List: A happier Abel one. What is this Abel is never happy. lol j/k finished

I also made a Wildy one, but it ended up being so hideous that I didn't put it here :< Practice makes perfect.

Suwako

Quote from: danman on March 20, 2010, 10:24:22 AM

I can host the whole lot, as in SRCF i have free hosting for noncommercial purposes ... i have there for example my avatar.

Feel free to do so, though I deem it no problem to keep them on photobucket for use only on this forum ( since their small going past the limit takes quite a bit. However if they go wandering on the internet, yeah. x3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

VAE

Hmmm, this server seems to die when i try to post the img tags
so, you will need to get them themselves
It is the same filenames as original except the location is http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dm510/bars/
Saphroneth

Suwako

Quote from: danman on March 20, 2010, 01:52:11 PM
It is the same filenames as original except the location is http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~dm510/bars/

It's probably protected against offsite image linking.

seems not, should work.

VAE

Quote from: Tytaj on March 20, 2010, 02:19:41 PM

seems not, should work.

I meant this server as in clockworkmansion.
threw an SQL error.
I will check again, this time using copy sed and paste, since manually changing the addresses is stupid
Saphroneth

Suwako

Quote from: danman on March 20, 2010, 03:15:17 PM
Quote from: Tytaj on March 20, 2010, 02:19:41 PM

seems not, should work.

I meant this server as in clockworkmansion.
threw an SQL error.
I will check again, this time using copy sed and paste, since manually changing the addresses is stupid

Alright! Good luck, I  hope and pray for the best.... :3

VAE

still bad. I will ask one of the admins

In the meantime i made an Aary fanbar!
Saphroneth

e_voyager

Quote from: Tytaj on March 19, 2010, 06:48:54 PM

snip snip

I am willing to do requests on these, but please url the image I am supposed to use.

I am aware that not all the characters that ever appeared are on it, but I need to sleep too. :3

wow you've got me interested.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Mao

I would like to point out that we should keep the size fairly standard.  The ones that Katbox uses are 50x125 pixels, I'd suggest keeping ours in that range too.  A little tip: try to keep you selection for the image a multiple of this.  That way, when you resize it, you've got a better chance of keeping the aspect the way it should be.  So aim for selections that are 50x125, 100x250, 150x375 etc.  I've done a few that were wide (100x125) and they look alright, but I'd save that for something special, personally.  I'd also suggest trying to avoid ones with text in the base image as it clutters up the image and likely won't be readable anyways (though I will admit that some times leaving it in can be good for comedic value or for recognition sake).

Suwako

Quote from: Mao Laoren on March 20, 2010, 05:19:31 PM
I would like to point out that we should keep the size fairly standard.  The ones that Katbox uses are 50x125 pixels, I'd suggest keeping ours in that range too.  A little tip: try to keep you selection for the image a multiple of this.  That way, when you resize it, you've got a better chance of keeping the aspect the way it should be.  So aim for selections that are 50x125, 100x250, 150x375 etc.  I've done a few that were wide (100x125) and they look alright, but I'd save that for something special, personally.  I'd also suggest trying to avoid ones with text in the base image as it clutters up the image and likely won't be readable anyways (though I will admit that some times leaving it in can be good for comedic value or for recognition sake).

Mine are standardized to 50:125 ( 46:121 inserts ) Non of them should differ from this. Also, mao could you change the topic title to something along the lines of ''free userbars'' or ''signature images?'' :P

VAE

REHOSTED ORIGINAL USERBARS
PLEASE USE THESE TO CONSERVE TYTAJ'S QUOTA

DMFA

Saphroneth

VAE

Part II
Please do not frag me for multipost - the server crashes otherwise

Saphroneth